Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

Following a request and extensive discussion with the Women’s Commission of Cycling South Africa and representatives of the Cape Town Cycle Tour, it has been agreed that we will facilitate a Women’s only Invitational start group in Glencairn.

All elite and U23 women that have been seeded into the % start group will have the option to start at a new revised start area on the corner of Main Road and Blackhill Road/Glencairn Expressway. The start time for the Invitational will be at 06:30 - light permitting - and the approximate distance is 76km.

It is important to note that the prize monies and title for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour will be awarded to the winner of this start group. The U23 category title will also be awarded to a participant from this group. For the sake of clarity, should an U23 rider win the event, they will receive both the overall winners title as well as the U23 title.

All other age category awards will go to those participants in the traditional 109km Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Existing seedings and race numbers will remain valid for the main event.

Details around the support vehicles for the Invitational race will be conveyed and confirmed at the managers meeting, with the Chief Commissaire, which will be held at the Cullinan Hotel on Saturday 11th March at 14h00.

We thank the City of Cape Town for going the extra mile in facilitating this new opportunity for women’s racing and wish all participants a safe and successful race.

For more information on the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, please visit http://capetowncycletour.com/ or follow us on Facebook , twitter (@CTCycleTour) and on Instagram (@ctcycletour).

126 Comments

Pure Savage, Mar 10 2017 04:18

Crits are different. Nobody rides a long distance race at max output 100% of the time.
Organisers obviously need to fit in the ladies finish before the cavalry elites get there. As long as the majority women are happy, we should all let it go.

My point was that a 76km race does not make it easier than a 109km. Nobody gets dropped before Smits anyway with the massive headwind, the group would just sit together anyway. 

What they could do is make it start in West Lake and go over Ou Kaapse Weg in the first 5km and then do the rest of the route. That will make it tougher  :devil:

andydude, Mar 10 2017 04:29

I still think it would be cool to have all the racing cats go off at 15h or thereabouts. The ladies can be after the masters. Nobody catches anybody. And there will be more crowd support.

Edit: You can even make it a better pro/elite race by throwing in another 30/40km at the start for them.

Flemish Lion, Mar 10 2017 04:30

My suggestion would be as follows: each elite lady gets (randomly) assigned to a fun rider. First lady with funrider to cross the finish wins ;)

Extreme funride world champs...

It's Friday after all!

andydude, Mar 10 2017 04:32

My suggestion would be as follows: each elite lady gets (randomly) assigned to a fun rider. First lady with funrider to cross the finish wins ;)

It's Friday after all!

Hijack, but checked the CSA website for something today and saw our photo from probably 5/6 years ago. Can you guess where?

Pure Savage, Mar 10 2017 04:48

Extreme funride world champs...

It's Friday after all!

They call that the mixed category at the epic. Just bring reinforced pockets!

carbon29er, Mar 10 2017 05:00

But u/23 and Elites all start together and winner overall will be first lady across the line. Or am I misreading it?

That is almost correct.

If the U23 wins the day she takes both titles and prize money.

If an Elite Lady wins then there are two winners allocated prize money.

U23 money may be a Mandela knowing how PPA allocates funds.

Pure Savage, Mar 10 2017 05:02

I still think it would be cool to have all the racing cats go off at 15h or thereabouts. The ladies can be after the masters. Nobody catches anybody. And there will be more crowd support.

Edit: You can even make it a better pro/elite race by throwing in another 30/40km at the start for them.

City would not give road closure for that long. Been suggested and tabled before.

brennans, Mar 10 2017 06:53

" the approximate distance is 76km "  

In this day and age can't they give an exact distance ?

Mongoose!, Mar 10 2017 10:47

How cool would it be to be able to ride AND watch the finish sprint.

and see the "pro's" suffer in the late afternoon wind!!! As the early riders never gets the wind as the later starting groups!!

Bateleur1, Mar 10 2017 10:57

Can only be done when they rolled out the timing mats  :whistling:

carbon29er, Mar 11 2017 06:36

How often is a race advertised at x distance and it turns out different? Happens all the time, unfortunately.

Pure Savage, Mar 11 2017 10:09

3189319f3d985ed69ad2016ff217d4d8.jpg

If SA's top female rider approves we should all not worry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Dale, Mar 11 2017 10:22

'Nuff said indeed 👌🏾

andydude, Mar 11 2017 10:26

Not sure if the junior part is correct, but imagine, if a junior wins she will win the junior, u23 and elite titles [emoji471] [emoji471] [emoji471] BOOM

Andy Arnesan, Mar 11 2017 01:44

i've heard that the juniors can ride but if one wins, they wont win. if you know what i mean - i've just heard this, so dont take it as the gospel truth.

lagosloonie, Mar 11 2017 02:29

It really is all about the money, isn't it.  I'm not sure who, apart from the sponsors,should be insulted by this.  Perhaps the elite men are just laughing.  Perhaps the women themselves are thinking that this is just a little silly and a step backwards   The issue of women's equality in racing started with the prize money; initially not the same as the mens' because the women, largely through a lack of numbers, didn't provide the same entertainment value.  Having attained that target, the women themselves are fighting over the purse and the winners are those to whom the short route is best suited.  Why not just start the ladies at 06:00, all with the same bike light, and have them race like hell to stay ahead of the elite men.  That would earn everybody's respect, not denigration.

gummibear, Mar 11 2017 02:35

It really is all about the money, isn't it.  I'm not sure who, apart from the sponsors,should be insulted by this.  Perhaps the elite men are just laughing.  Perhaps the women themselves are thinking that this is just a little silly and a step backwards   The issue of women's equality in racing started with the prize money; initially not the same as the mens' because the women, largely through a lack of numbers, didn't provide the same entertainment value.  Having attained that target, the women themselves are fighting over the purse and the winners are those to whom the short route is best suited.  Why not just start the ladies at 06:00, all with the same bike light, and have them race like hell to stay ahead of the elite men.  That would earn everybody's respect, not denigration.

We want same prize money,same tv coverage,same sponsorships and same salaries but happy to race only 2/3 of the course :eek:  :unsure:  :lol:  :lol:

Pure Savage, Mar 11 2017 02:48

It really is all about the money, isn't it. I'm not sure who, apart from the sponsors,should be insulted by this. Perhaps the elite men are just laughing. Perhaps the women themselves are thinking that this is just a little silly and a step backwards The issue of women's equality in racing started with the prize money; initially not the same as the mens' because the women, largely through a lack of numbers, didn't provide the same entertainment value. Having attained that target, the women themselves are fighting over the purse and the winners are those to whom the short route is best suited. Why not just start the ladies at 06:00, all with the same bike light, and have them race like hell to stay ahead of the elite men. That would earn everybody's respect, not denigration.

Well seeing that all the ladies want this, I think the only ones that would be bleak would be those that sat on men's wheels.

'Dale, Mar 11 2017 03:07

It'll be quite a test as the Cape Doctor is gonna gust strong strong

What'll their group size be?

Pure Savage, Mar 11 2017 04:49

It'll be quite a test as the Cape Doctor is gonna gust strong strong

What'll their group size be?

50 max

andydude, Mar 11 2017 05:41

Ooh I think women staying away is going to be closer than people think.

I wouldn't bet either way. At least they are trying something. I hope it works!

Skubarra, Mar 11 2017 06:05

Ooh I think women staying away is going to be closer than people think.

I wouldn't bet either way. At least they are trying something. I hope it works!

I dont think its an issue if the elites catch them (at a spot other than the finish straight). Would be easy to keep them apart. Its the big funride groups that can mess things up.

Shebeen, Mar 13 2017 05:13

what happened to this in the end amongst all the drama? where did they start, if at all?

Pure Savage, Mar 13 2017 05:22

what happened to this in the end amongst all the drama? where did they start, if at all?

moved back to original start and did not get far. Almost got to Ladies Mile [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Flemish Lion, Mar 13 2017 05:27

Hijack, but checked the CSA website for something today and saw our photo from probably 5/6 years ago. Can you guess where?

Msunduzi Worlds Masters qualifier - us through the trees?