Cape Town Cycle Tour agrees to Women's only Invitational start group starting in Glencairn

Following a request and extensive discussion with the Women’s Commission of Cycling South Africa and representatives of the Cape Town Cycle Tour, it has been agreed that we will facilitate a Women’s only Invitational start group in Glencairn.

All elite and U23 women that have been seeded into the % start group will have the option to start at a new revised start area on the corner of Main Road and Blackhill Road/Glencairn Expressway. The start time for the Invitational will be at 06:30 - light permitting - and the approximate distance is 76km.

It is important to note that the prize monies and title for the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour will be awarded to the winner of this start group. The U23 category title will also be awarded to a participant from this group. For the sake of clarity, should an U23 rider win the event, they will receive both the overall winners title as well as the U23 title.

All other age category awards will go to those participants in the traditional 109km Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Existing seedings and race numbers will remain valid for the main event.

Details around the support vehicles for the Invitational race will be conveyed and confirmed at the managers meeting, with the Chief Commissaire, which will be held at the Cullinan Hotel on Saturday 11th March at 14h00.

We thank the City of Cape Town for going the extra mile in facilitating this new opportunity for women’s racing and wish all participants a safe and successful race.

For more information on the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, please visit http://capetowncycletour.com/ or follow us on Facebook , twitter (@CTCycleTour) and on Instagram (@ctcycletour).

126 Comments

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 12:26

Does not say, just says she does not like it and that she has done 17.

Oh 🤔
Well, time for change

Pure Savage, Mar 10 2017 12:29

Except the closet misogynists on the hub...

Actually scrap closet.

I think the press releases have been really poor at explaining the reason. 

Ladies need to race ladies without male groups getting in the way. 

I think this year we will have the best ladies race in 40 years. A break away could even stay away! 

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 12:30

Women's racing at its purest is when they're alone in a bunch together
Great plan
Let's see how it goes 💪🏾

carbon29er, Mar 10 2017 12:30

my 2 cents:

- Notice wayyyy to short

- Womens only group - great idea

- Shorter distance - not a good idea if this is a RACE

-I would suggest make this whole thing a "fun ride" for everyone...no one will prove anything from winning the cycle tour..its no where near a REAL challenge for the racing teams nor is it "important" in the eyes of the UCI...its just a fun ride.

I would SEED the ladies better and have them race between 2 groups that will cause the lease amount of havoc.

I always believed in cape town should have the real racers race their own race I called this the Super Argus (think my post was taken off) where by the top seeded say 5 000 riders race a longer distance... then the rest would race say a 90km (celebrating the old race) this way they can have unlimited entries into the shorter race and making more money (that's what the aim is right) ?

you obviously didn't read what I was saying carefully...

The guys talked about developing ladies cycling to be competitive overseas...hence I suggested they either race or this should be a fun ride...

On your crits of 90 min...I hope that gets you to Europe soonest !

Again this was my 2 cents...

Between two groups? This has never been tried? Last year the ladies hit the sprint with a bunch of tandems amongst them. Try that for a fun ride.

It's really hard to read stuff when it is so poorly thought out and then actually posted as a serious post.

Lucky you only have 2 cents as I'd hate to read your opinion on this if you had a whole rondt to spare. We'd probably have to call the honey sucker.

Now I wonder why the mods had the temerity to remove one of your posts? Maybe the honey sucker was busy.

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 12:31

Anyone know why the notice was so last-minute?

carbon29er, Mar 10 2017 12:35

I think the press releases have been really poor at explaining the reason. 

Ladies need to race ladies without male groups getting in the way. 

I think this year we will have the best ladies race in 40 years. A break away could even stay away! 

Women's racing at its purest is when they're alone in a bunch together
Great plan
Let's see how it goes

Hell, I might even take the not so smart phone along and stream the last 30 minutes or so. All depends if we can hit a data enabled zone around 8am. Imagine cruising Misty Cliffs watching the Elite Ladies attacking on Chappies and Suikerbossie. 

I'm really trying to find the positive of being the stoker on a racing tandem.

carbon29er, Mar 10 2017 12:36

Anyone know why the notice was so last-minute?

The same reason the PPA and CSA would reach agreement on sanctioning in the last week leading up to the event.

Bunk up. Brothel? Or is it Piss up. Brewery?

DC Carbon, Mar 10 2017 12:37

Why exactly are they doing this?

This may have to do with the sprint crashes/bunch crashes and last years sprint getting mixed up with the tandems

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 12:39

Hell, I might even take the not so smart phone along and stream the last 30 minutes or so. All depends if we can hit a data enabled zone around 8am. Imagine cruising Misty Cliffs watching the Elite Ladies attacking on Chappies and Suikerbossie.

I'm really trying to find the positive of being the stoker on a racing tandem.

I've never been on a tandem

Maybe super glue a tablet on his boom-boom 🤦🏽‍♂️

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 12:40

The same reason the PPA and CSA would reach agreement on sanctioning in the last week leading up to the event.

Bunk up. Brothel? Or is it Piss up. Brewery?

Ai the bitter couple

If they can only work it out in the interest of the kid (cycling)

splat, Mar 10 2017 12:43

This may have to do with the sprint crashes/bunch crashes and last years sprint getting mixed up with the tandems

They have been struggling for years to get the combination right - from starting with Vets or Sub Vets or Masters, or on their own between mens' groups and alphabet soup.

Every year had a new problem or controversy ranging from crashes at the finish to allegations of men pacing women from their club or team.

Every year there were complaints from the racing women and moans from the armchair experts - there was no winning formula.

I think this is the best idea yet. I hope it works as well as they hope.

Lets see how it unfolds on the day.

TALUS, Mar 10 2017 02:00

After considering the arguments (mostly from carbon29er and Pure Savage) I now admit that this is a reasonable option. Several loose ends remain. The current SA Champ is u/23 so it will be imperative that the u/23 women are never made to start seperate. Also the timing of the announcement is awkward - some ladies I know well chose not to go due to the previous setup (one is a serious podium contender). All considered I hope it makes for faster/ aggresive racing and not a situation where everyone is just waiting for someone to do the hard graft.

Bateleur1, Mar 10 2017 02:25

After considering the arguments (mostly from carbon29er and Pure Savage) I now admit that this is a reasonable option. Several loose ends remain. The current SA Champ is u/23 so it will be imperative that the u/23 women are never made to start seperate. Also the timing of the announcement is awkward - some ladies I know well chose not to go due to the previous setup (one is a serious podium contender). All considered I hope it makes for faster/ aggresive racing and not a situation where everyone is just waiting for someone to do the hard graft.

It could be interresting if there is a break up Smits Winkel.

raptor, Mar 10 2017 02:25

????

seriously

Well like pure savage said she Wil get a trophy better than nothing 😁

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 02:27

What was the circumstance of the late notification
Any know?

Flemish Lion, Mar 10 2017 02:34

What was the circumstance of the late notification
Any know?

Cost most likely... they played with the idea and then got told it's going to cost a bit extra so it was canned... after some convincing either they coughed up or cost was negotiated.

Anyway sucks for ladies who are climbers and decided not to go down as racing with men always ends up in crashes and a sprint...

I like the idea but not the late notice...

'Dale, Mar 10 2017 02:44

Cost most likely... they played with the idea and then got told it's going to cost a bit extra so it was canned... after some convincing either they coughed up or cost was negotiated.

Anyway sucks for ladies who are climbers and decided not to go down as racing with men always ends up in crashes and a sprint...

I like the idea but not the late notice...

Okay

Yeah the late notification is crappy
😏

jcza, Mar 10 2017 02:45

But u/23 and Elites all start together and winner overall will be first lady across the line. Or am I misreading it?

shaper, Mar 10 2017 02:47

Am sure there will be quite a few post race reports by the ladies and teams... will be interesting to hear... and perhaps we may get the facts with regard to the late notice and change

Flemish Lion, Mar 10 2017 02:49

Am sure there will be quite a few post race reports by the ladies and teams... will be interesting to hear... and perhaps we may get the facts with regard to the late notice and change

Yes as mine is pure speculation ;)

two hands, Mar 10 2017 03:15

Looking forward to this, as the Argus/CTCT has been the most forgettable event on the Elite ladies' racing calendar for years.

Every hard-working break attempted was closed down by chasing women sitting in a Vets or Masters bunch. The sprint finish has been a joke as you could hardly spot the women mixed in the age-group men's categories or tandems. It was plain disrespectful of the needs and wants of women racers.

This may not be the perfect solution, but it is a damn fine start to showcasing the real talent and exposing aggressive positive racing. Let's listen to feedback, tweak accordingly and announce it earlier next year.

Kudos, CTCT, CSA and PPA. Now give it the media attention it deserves too.

Pure Savage, Mar 10 2017 03:16

It's so people have less time to debate and moan about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen, Mar 10 2017 03:32

It's a good start.. the late notice is unfortunate and distance should ideally be longer

BUT

It is a start after many many years of the elite ladies asking for it

I hope they aren't just doing it to save face and then claim after oh there weren't enough ladies, format doesn't work.

gummibear, Mar 10 2017 03:54

So the ladies race is truly.....Ladies World Fun ride Champs

Nettie R, Mar 10 2017 04:05

You must obviously not taken part in a Killarney Thursday night or a crit. 

Some of my toughest races have been 90 minute crits.

Crits are different. Nobody rides a long distance race at max output 100% of the time.
Organisers obviously need to fit in the ladies finish before the cavalry elites get there. As long as the majority women are happy, we should all let it go.