Events

Cape Town Cycle Tour warn of strong winds on Sunday

· By Press Office · 33 comments

We have been advised that there is a high probability of severe winds on the Cape Peninsula within the next 24 hours. We strongly urge Cape Town Cycle Tour participants who are either not comfortable or do not have experience riding in strong winds, to carefully consider their decision to participate tomorrow. We believe wind conditions will not be as strong as in 2009, but they will nevertheless be severe. Cyclists and spectators must please take note.

For more information on the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, please visit http://www.capetowncycletour.com/ or follow us on Facebook, twitter (@CTCycleTour) and on Instagram (@ctcycletour).

Related posts

Comments

'Dale

Mar 11, 2017, 12:27 PM

The legendary Cape Doctor

????????????????

gummibear

Mar 11, 2017, 12:30 PM

Seen loads of pics of bikes with 60mm wheels on them.

Wonder how all that technology will handle the Cape Dr.

Mamil

Mar 11, 2017, 12:41 PM

Trying to decide if i have experience riding in the wind and i am saying yes. Based on the season in durbanville so far.

Heel Drop

Mar 11, 2017, 12:43 PM

open up jou sakdoek bind hom vas aan the handlebars and hou vas pappa

Belgian biker

Mar 11, 2017, 12:49 PM

I'm from Vlaanderen and I'm gonna ride like a true Flandrien, nondedomme!

'Dale

Mar 11, 2017, 1:05 PM

Whoohooooo ???????? ????????????????????????

Thomo

Mar 11, 2017, 1:12 PM

Let us know how the Cape wind compares to conditions back home. :)

kosmonooit

Mar 11, 2017, 1:13 PM

Whooot here we go .... good luck all.

After battling the wind all the way to the top of Suikerbossie in 2009 (taking 6 hours), 'they' tried to close the road back to Camps Naai   ...

So there is a growing mass of angry cyclists being held back, then an ambulance arrives to go through which parted the crowd like Moses did the Rea Sea and a lot of us followed in its wake and carried on regardless to finish, it wasn't so bad although it took effort to cycle down the gradients with the Doctor in ur face. And surely if one has made it thus far, one had right to continue.

City Cycling Athletic Club

Mar 11, 2017, 1:32 PM

my Tuesday Killarney sessions in the wind and then intervals up Giel Basson into the south easter on a Thursday is going to pay off at last.

Belgian biker

Mar 11, 2017, 2:11 PM

I don't ride with so much wind back home, sssht don't tell anyone

kader01

Mar 11, 2017, 2:25 PM

So which direction is this wind? Are we gonna k@k riding toward smitzwinkel or back up chaps and suikerbossie?

Slowbee

Mar 11, 2017, 2:37 PM

So which direction is this wind? Are we gonna k@k riding toward smitzwinkel or back up chaps and suikerbossie?

simple. easy.

pe3nguin

Mar 11, 2017, 2:49 PM

Yes please. This is important for science!

kosmonooit

Mar 11, 2017, 3:55 PM

Anything but it blowing direct behind you is an ordeal  - believe!

And be prepared to get sand blasted heading into Vishoek - might be an idea to stop & stock up on some vis en tjips whilst you are passing so keep the spirits high for the rest of the journey

Mntboy

Mar 11, 2017, 4:05 PM

Vlaanderen tuck FTW!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

HappyMartin

Mar 11, 2017, 4:11 PM

My last Argus(CTCT) was in 2009. Quite windy. On my gps I found one section where my HR was 178, was on a 7% descent and I was doing 9km/h.

Hope you don't have to deal with that. It wasn't much fun.

'Dale

Mar 11, 2017, 4:20 PM

Jensie is also lining up tomorrow for his 2nd Aurgust

He must be shaky from the nerves as he feels the wind gods shaking his five star hotel ????

Patchelicious

Mar 11, 2017, 4:34 PM

A massive shout out to Team PureSavage for coming to our u23s rescue and lending him some more appropriate CPT South Easter wheels!

Nice one guys!!

Tubehunter

Mar 11, 2017, 4:45 PM

Winds will be in the 30 - 40 km\h range from the SSE. 

You will struggle over the very top of Hospital Bend, headwind along the M3, so don't get isolated over Edinburgh Hill! The stretch into Simonstown will be brutal. You will likely get some gusty conditions coming towards Smitswinkel, so make sure you have room around as people drift around in the wind! Tailwind from the right turn on Smits pushing you uphill, all along that stretch.

The left turn down towards Scarborough could see some heavy crosswinds. If you're crazy enough to ride deep sections cos those are the only wheels you brought, than pay attention here! More tail wind along to the turn at Soetwater.

The stretch to the left turn at Sun Valley will be the next super hard section! Get in a group! Wind will help you till you've gone over little Chappies. Climbing Chappies proper, do not ride on the far left verge! Give yourself space so that the side wind gusts from the way the wind bends over the mountain, do not catch you out and you have to stop to prevent yourself from running out of road! Cresting Chappies, you will be having to ride hard on the first part of the downhill into the wind as it is funnelled along this stretch!

Keep your head down, hold your line and ride through to the left bend. Going down Chappies each of the left turns will have severe side gusts, particularly where the gradient on the mountain becomes less steep! The second left turn after the toll pay station will probably be the worst! 

The most notable gift from the day awaits as the wind pushes you up Suikerbossie. Enjoy all the slog getting to there to receive the big hand of the wind on your back! 

Heading down the back past Llandudno on to Oudekraal, you'll be exposed to swirling conditions, so leave room to absorb the wind moving you around a little. The right bend where you turn approaching Oudekraal will have more wind there. Prepare for a buffeting as you go through that bend. The wind will be diagonal across your face along this stretch to the 12 Apostles Hotel.

The very next right turn on a slight incline as you have come past the hotel will surprise you at the ferocity of the short intense head wind blast! Even after you have read this! Have some spare gears ready for this piece. You will loose half your speed here. Don't drop a chain scrambling to get off the big blade!!!!

The wind is less noticeable from here through the stretch to the right coming to the end of Bakoven, where you'll get your next quick blast. Roll through Camps and Clifton, smelling the finish.

You should be fine through Sea Point until you come towards the home straight when it's on your face again. You'll be so close to the finish that the cheers should carry you home! 

Enjoy the ride tomorrow all!

J∆kk∆ls

Mar 11, 2017, 5:21 PM

I'll be riding deep sections. The weigh the same as my very light alu wheels and for some very strange reason deal with wind better. Can anyone explain this phenomenon. Anyway 50 at the back and 38 up front. I'm fairly heavy at 84kg so will put some weight on the front wheel. Still I might be khakin myself but will ride in memory of my step brother that we tragically lost last year. Ride well brothers and sisters.

lechatnoir

Mar 11, 2017, 5:25 PM

The very next right turn on a slight incline as you have come past the hotel will surprise you at the ferocity of the short intense head wind blast! Even after you have read this! Have some spare gears ready for this piece. You will loose half your speed here. Don't drop a chain scrambling to get off the big blade!!!!

This bit where the divers park has sapped the life out of me and the fun out a ride MAAANY times... my advice here would be to stick as close the right as possible as there's less gusting there I think

happy trails tomorrow all!!!

Bernard Horn

Mar 11, 2017, 6:03 PM

Best of luck .Have a blast

Mongoose!

Mar 11, 2017, 7:08 PM

Glad I decided on my Ksyruim SR wheels two weeks ago already. Deep sections will be hectic tomorrow. Specially a deep wheel on the front...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment