Events

Coronation Double Century: Tips from the expert

· By Press Office · 22 comments

The Coronation Double Century is no Saturday morning coffee ride. You have to be fit and you have to be prepared. We speak to Johann le Roux, the only CDC participant to have completed all 22 events, about what it takes to get his team over the finish line.

ccs-62657-0-60357100-1447166535.jpg

Johann’s training for Coronation Double Century starts in July. Family and work considerations dictate his approach, but he aims for “two high quality, high intensity sessions a week”.

These two critical sessions involve hill climb and lactic threshold intervals. He tries to fit in a longer “almost tempo” outing on Fridays and then on Saturdays a longer ride between three and six hours. For the first month his weekend rides would be shorter “but at a slightly higher intensity”, but after that he pushes the duration up to five to six hours with climbs thrown in to the mix.
“The long rides are very important as they build endurance and the 1-tonner is an excellent pre-CDC training ride to do with the team, as a test run for the race.”

Train as a team

Ultimately, this is a team event and while it’s not in the rule book, a lot of teams pride themselves on getting the whole team across the finish line together.

With this in mind, experienced CDC riders offer the same sound counsel: wherever possible and whenever possible, train as a team. It is ultra-marathon riding and, like a good marriage, participants are well served getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of their team.

Top tip

When it comes to hydration, Johann finds it vital to train with the same drinks available during the race to ensure his body and digestive system is prepared for what he’ll get on the day.

Eat right

In the immediate build-up to the event, Johann’s approach has universal value — be well hydrated on the day. He begins to increase his fluid intake three days before; simultaneously he ups his pasta consumption and, “on the Wednesday I will have a huge piece of steak – it works for me!”

He emphasises the importance of “a good night’s sleep” on the eve of the event and then “a full, low GI breakfast two to three hours before the start” to be followed by a 750ml sports drink in the last hour.

Last minute prep

In that final week Johann tapers his training, reducing intensity. “I do three rides of about an hour each with a few 15 to 20 second sprints at 70 to 80 percent intensity – to keep the body awake and the blood circulation going.” Like most riders he does a day-before ride “just to ensure my bike is ready.”

It’s a widely held opinion that weekend team training rides, starting at say 100kms and building up to the actual CDC distance, are the most sensible way to go and it is not a terrible idea to use both heart-rate monitors and bicycle computers in the preparation. These enable team members to do their other training rides at the same level. Mid-week rides of at least 50kms are recommended in the “amateur” ranks, with a few shorter, more intense rides on either side.

Expert tips for race day

Johann’s advice for the race itself is sage: for the first 150kms keep the team together with the slowest/weakest riders in front and on the flats ride single or double line formations with the stronger riders doing the longer stints. He tries to eat and drink every 15 minutes (jelly babies, banana bread and biltong) to maintain glucose levels.”

The water points call for discipline: “it is important not to over-indulge – two to three cups of Coke and then fill your bottles half Coke and half water.” He recommends a steady pace to Ashton for refueling and then “when the team is ready, go – don’t hang around too long, you are just getting cold and stiff.”

He says “the real race” starts into the headwind at the Breede River Bridge after which it might be incumbent on the stronger riders to drop their pace to accommodate the weaker members of their team. The three infamous climbs after the Bonnievale Cellar can be seen as a moment of truth. “With their concentration gone, some riders will be thinking of dropping out and someone needs to take charge and keep the group together and to remind them to keep eating and drinking.” Legs need to be “saved” for the three climbs left after the right turn towards Swellendam. “Maintain your pace and concentration, climb in easy gears at high cadence and low power. If possible stand every few minutes to stretch the legs and back. Drink on the downhills…and then you’re home!”

It used to be about a top ten finish even if it meant dropping weaker team members. Now the main focus is to start and finish with the same group. “To see a novice in the team change from being afraid and unsure and then to see their confidence and self-belief crossing the line – that is very fulfilling.”

But what really keeps him going?

“It is the one event in the year in which the team is more important than the individual, everyone suffers together and everyone enjoys the satisfaction of completing yet another Coronation Double Century.”

Related posts

Comments

Shebeen

Nov 10, 2015, 6:37 PM

Keep the weaker riders in front for the first 150km....does he ride for team gulag?

Pure Savage

Nov 10, 2015, 7:06 PM

Keep the weaker riders in front for the first 150km....does he ride for team gulag?

How are your weaker riders not dropped by 150km? By 150km you start dropping strong riders!!

Pure Savage

Nov 10, 2015, 7:10 PM

Someone tell Legbreaker to come read this article ;)

Well written, some great tips and starting to get excited!

Thomo

Nov 11, 2015, 5:40 AM

How are your weaker riders not dropped by 150km? By 150km you start dropping strong riders!!

I see reference is made to “amateur ranks" and "getting the whole team across the finish line together" ... perhaps the article is aimed at a specific group of particpants rather than the type of riders you are referring to.  ;)

Shebeen

Nov 11, 2015, 5:56 AM

But ja, much respect to the dude for doing them all

'Dale

Nov 11, 2015, 6:32 AM

I much prefer getting all all the 12 eggs across the line

That's the essence of the event

Was very privileged to earn that Milner medal last year

Patchelicious

Nov 11, 2015, 6:36 AM

Someone tell Legbreaker to come read this article ;)

Well written, some great tips and starting to get excited!

Who's that?
raptor-22

Nov 11, 2015, 7:16 AM

I see reference is made to “amateur ranks" and "getting the whole team across the finish line together" ... perhaps the article is aimed at a specific group of particpants rather than the type of riders you are referring to.  ;)

Friend of mine asked me to ride dc with his club a couple of years back. I didn't and thankfully because it was an absolute disaster!

he stronger riders went out fast and dropped half the team by Barrydale.. By Montague only the fastest three were together and finishd together. Then they moaned at everyone else because the team time was nearly 8 hours when the 6th man crossed the line.

raptor-22

Nov 11, 2015, 7:19 AM

PS: Johan says keep the weaker riders in front - thats so you can see them. IF they ride behind the faster guys pick up the pace and then start putting those guys into the hurt locker pronto. The result is a totally destroyed team.

Keep the weaker riders in sight and let them do a turn on the front for 30seconds. The stronger riders can do one minutes turns on the front.

Patchelicious

Nov 11, 2015, 7:42 AM

PS: Johan says keep the weaker riders in front - thats so you can see them. IF they ride behind the faster guys pick up the pace and then start putting those guys into the hurt locker pronto. The result is a totally destroyed team.

Keep the weaker riders in sight and let them do a turn on the front for 30seconds. The stronger riders can do one minutes turns on the front.

Weaker riders are there to be sacrificed! :devil:

Put them on the front and make them go flat out for the first 50km or till they explode. Keep the stronger riders fresh for as long as possible.

AuctionLamb

Nov 11, 2015, 8:34 AM

How difficult can it be to ride the DC!!??  :eek:

Wannabe

Nov 11, 2015, 8:36 AM

How difficult can it be to ride the DC!!??  :eek:

You tell us.... :ph34r:

Underachiever

Nov 11, 2015, 8:44 AM

Friend of mine asked me to ride dc with his club a couple of years back. I didn't and thankfully because it was an absolute disaster!

he stronger riders went out fast and dropped half the team by Barrydale.. By Montague only the fastest three were together and finishd together. Then they moaned at everyone else because the team time was nearly 8 hours when the 6th man crossed the line.

Reminds me of this..."There is no I in TEAM, but...."

Velouria

Nov 11, 2015, 8:57 AM

I've been in a team like that - two of us bigger guys got dropped at the bottom of Tradouw. Team went on to race each other, and finished with 5 riders...

Mongoose!

Nov 11, 2015, 9:05 AM

Will be my sixth one this year

Last year was the only year all 12 riders finished together – we decided upfront the goal was to finish together  - don't care about time– slowest  time of all, but for sure the most rewarding one  - was really awesome.

One year the team captain said : six rider will finish. If it is seven, the stronger six did not ride hard enough… lol   :ph34r: 

Patchelicious

Nov 11, 2015, 9:07 AM

Will be my sixth one this year

Last year was the only year all 12 riders finished together – we decided upfront the goal was to finish together  - don't care about time– slowest  time of all, but for sure the most rewarding one  - was really awesome.

One year the team captain said : six rider will finish. If it is seven, the stronger six did not ride hard enough… lol   :ph34r: 

This could easily be a Pure Savage motto... :)

Pure Savage

Nov 11, 2015, 9:56 AM

This could easily be a Pure Savage motto... :)

I am sending a lawyer letter, it is our motto.

5 years, only ever finish with 6. Being the 7th guy is tough, especially when the six put you on the front for your last pull... then drop the hammer to distance you so you don't fumble along at the back of the paceline.

AuctionLamb

Nov 11, 2015, 1:37 PM

You tell us.... :ph34r:

I have a bit of DC experience...will help where I can.

Below is very important information for everyone doing the DC. (tongue-in-cheek)

• Make sure you have done a few long rides before doing DC
  • Eat on the ride
  • Pace yourself
  • Drink regularly to avoid dehydration
Marius

Nov 13, 2015, 7:21 AM

whahahahaha - classic

Jensie

Nov 13, 2015, 7:55 AM

I have a bit of DC experience...will help where I can.

Below is very important information for everyone doing the DC. (tongue-in-cheek)

• Make sure you have done a few long rides before doing DC
  • Eat on the ride
  • Pace yourself
  • Drink regularly to avoid dehydration

Most underrated info. Also the most important. 1st year and first stop ate too much, did not enjoy riding after that first stop.

• Eat on the ride
Wannabe

Nov 13, 2015, 11:03 AM

Most underrated info. Also the most important. 1st year and first stop ate too much, did not enjoy riding after that first stop.

• Eat on during the ride

Patchelicious

Nov 13, 2015, 11:26 AM

whahahahaha - classic

Its rude to think of a joke, laugh out loud and then not tell us what the joke was :)

Add a comment

You must log in to comment