Events

Hat-trick for Team NuWater CVT in the 2013 Coronation Double Century

· By Matt · 40 comments

After cycling 202km in perfect racing conditions, Team NuWater CVT achieved their third consecutive win as they were crowned winners of the 21st Coronation Double Century in a record breaking time of 05:09:04. NuWater CVT out-cycled second placed Team Balamony Investments by just over 20 minutes to clinch the coveted title while Team HotChillee, who had Team Sky’s Ben Swift riding for them, held off some stiff competition from the remaining teams to claim third place in the men’s category.

Team-NuWater-CVT-cross-the-finish-line-after-completing-the-202km-route-in-a-record-time-of-050904-at-the-2013-Coronation-Double-Century-in-Swellendam.jpg

Team NuWater CVT cross the finish line after completing the 202km route in a record time of 05:09:04 at the 2013 Coronation Double Century in Swellendam.

Team NuWater CVT manager Hannes van der Walt expressed his delight at having secured the hat-trick of wins. “We really love this event – it’s a “hard man’s race” and is the longest race for us as a team. We were aiming to break the five-hour mark, but strong head winds 90km’s from the finish put paid to that. Regardless, we are extremely happy with today’s result and very pleased to hold the fastest record for the CDC.”

Team HotChillee were gunning for a podium-finish and achieved this feat with Ben Swift mentoring 18-year old up-and-coming development star Nicholas Dlamini today. “The race was fantastic and I was so impressed by Nicholas’ performance,” commented Swift. “With about 40km left, Nicholas cramped slightly which gave us a bit of trouble, but we had fun and are very happy with our result.”

Team-Velocity-Sports-Lab-Ladies,-winners-of-the-women’s-category-at-the-2013-Coronation-Double-Century,-on-the-route-in-perfect-riding-conditions.jpg

Team Velocity Sports Lab Ladies, winners of the women’s category at the 2013 Coronation Double Century, on the route in perfect riding conditions.

Velocity Sports Lab Ladies was the quickest ladies team to complete the route as they raced ahead of the other three competing female teams. Paarl Media Ladies came in second place while Vodacom Ladies claimed the third podium spot in the ladies category.

Team Give Me a Chance clinched victory in the closely contested mixed category race as they edged out competition from Team Raynard Tissink Coaching who came second, while last year’s winners, My Training Day placed third.

Professional athlete, Cherise Stander participated along with 11 other riders in the Give Me a Chance Foundation team. Their aim was to raise awareness for a cause that provides promising children with an opportunity to get further in life. “This was an amazing event and I rode with some incredible athletes today. We struggled a little with the first two passes, but improved a lot in the second half of the race. I’ve been doing a lot of long rides on the bike lately so I am quite used to it, and the team really worked together and motivated each other today – which made all the difference.”

CDC-2013_Mixed-Category-Winners,-Team-Give-Me-A-Chance.jpg

The Give Me a Chance Foundation team clinched top spot in the mixed category at the 2013 Coronation Double Century.

Executive and Senior portfolio manager at Coronation Fund Managers, Neville Chester who also participated in the event, re-iterated the company’s commitment to the event, “Coronation is a proud sponsor of the Double Century as it epitomizes the key characteristics associated with our company: teamwork, performance and an undiluted focus on the long term. We love the unique, team format of the event and the fact that it is one that is challenging, yet still accessible. We look forward to being involved in the 2014 event.”

David Bellairs, one of the Directors of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of the Coronation Double Century, completed the event with a team of media, VIP and development riders that included Western Cape MEC for Finance Economic Development and Tourism, Alan Winde who rounded off the day saying, “Events like these are good economic drivers for towns like Swellendam, a platform to encourage new cyclists to the sport and they promote a healthy lifestyle.”

CDC-2013_Mens-Category-Winners_Team-NuWater-CVT.jpg

Team NuWater CVT are crowned winners for the third time in a row at the 2013 Coronation Double Century after breaking the record for the fastest time completing the route.

Race Results are as follows:

Racing Men:

1 – Team NuWater CVT (05:09:04)

2 – Team Balamory Investments (05:31:10)

3 – Team HotChillee (05:34:33)

Racing Women:

1 – Team Velocity Sports Lab Ladies ((06:22:37)

2 – Team Paarl Media Ladies (06:43:07)

3 – Team Vodacom Ladies (07:57:42)

Racing Mixed:

1 – Team Give Me A Chance (05:44:26)

2 – Team VSL Raynard Tissink Coaching (05:51:51)

3 – Team My Training Day (05:52:12)

Related posts

Comments

Vlermuis

Nov 24, 2013, 5:24 PM

According to RaceTec, Team HotChillee finished SEVENTH!! Please explain?

Pure Savage

Nov 24, 2013, 6:13 PM

andydude

Nov 24, 2013, 6:17 PM

Yeah something is strange about that third place. I couldn't see Ben Swift's time, therefore they technically only had five riders crossing the mat? It would be great if somebody can explain.

Edit: Sorry, Ben's time is there so not sure what's up.

crashtestdummy

Nov 24, 2013, 6:54 PM

Re Team HotChillee: our 6th rider's ( Nicholas Dlamini) timing chip wasn't properly linked so the result you see is for our 7th rider to cross the line. The problem was resolved yesterday before prize giving with the race commissioner.

Velouria

Nov 25, 2013, 4:12 AM

Congratulations to NuWater CVT - they are in a league of their own.

Racing with Ben, Nic, Dan and the rest of the HotChillee team was an amazing, if not pain filled, experience. I'm looking forward to next year already.

Rich.Carbon

Nov 25, 2013, 4:36 AM

Re Team HotChillee: our 6th rider's ( Nicholas Dlamini) timing chip wasn't properly linked so the result you see is for our 7th rider to cross the line. The problem was resolved yesterday before prize giving with the race commissioner.

We q

Yeah something is strange about that third place. I couldn't see Ben Swift's time, therefore they technically only had five riders crossing the mat? It would be great if somebody can explain.

Edit: Sorry, Ben's time is there so not sure what's up.

The Hot Chillee result is being investigated further. Their result was queried at the finish.

We (Moore Stephens) passed HC on the 170km mark with 9 riders strong.

HC were already down to 5 riders at this stage and were scattered on the road, no organisation.

One also has to consider Team Swift Carbon, Park Cycles and Bluff Meats who's positions are also being effected here!

AuctionLamb

Nov 25, 2013, 5:29 AM

We saw HC with 6 riders on 5km to.

mp321

Nov 25, 2013, 5:33 AM

We caught Hot Chillee at the 195km mark and they did have six riders. They still came sprinting past us when we turned left at the finish.

mp321

Nov 25, 2013, 5:40 AM

The time on the official result is correct for Hot Chillee, we parked next to them in the feed zone and we left three minutes after them, because that was the time we needed to make up on them for 2nd place.

Reg Lizard

Nov 25, 2013, 5:49 AM

Ok was it Nuwater or Bonitas that won the event :whistling:

-Az-

Nov 25, 2013, 6:00 AM

Hotchillee sponsored a development team, this could be part of the reason some riders beleived they passed them on the road?

Pure Savage

Nov 25, 2013, 6:07 AM

Hotchillee sponsored a development team, this could be part of the reason some riders beleived they passed them on the road?

They did have different kit though, one was black and one was white and blue

fandacious

Nov 25, 2013, 6:30 AM

Congratulations to NuWater CVT - they are in a league of their own.

Racing with Ben, Nic, Dan and the rest of the HotChillee team was an amazing, if not pain filled, experience. I'm looking forward to next year already.

well done dude... you have no idea how glad I am NOT to be a part of this years team.

you guys were amazing...

Sworks20

Nov 25, 2013, 6:46 AM

Ok was it Nuwater or Bonitas that won the event :whistling:

It was the Bonita's / Abantu team that won the event with 2 NU Water riders.....

Sworks20

Nov 25, 2013, 6:47 AM

We saw HC with 6 riders on 5km to.

I was at the finish watching teams come over and HC had 6 although Swift was basically dragging Dlamini over the line.

Sworks20

Nov 25, 2013, 6:47 AM

We q

The Hot Chillee result is being investigated further. Their result was queried at the finish.

HC were already down to 5 riders at this stage and were scattered on the road, no organisation.

One also has to consider Team Swift Carbon, Park Cycles and Bluff Meats who's positions are also being effected here!

You should of ridden faster.

Thornman

Nov 25, 2013, 7:47 AM

@reglizard only 2 Bonitas guys rode with us....

@sworks20. Maybe you must get your facts together before posting. We, NUWater finsished with 4 guys, not only 2. We lost our only other rider at 160 km due to a puncture.

Velouria

Nov 25, 2013, 10:58 AM

We q

As CrashTestDummy has already stated - the result was queried, we went to the commissar's office and had to identify the six (6) riders that they had footage of crossing the line. Nicolas only received a chip on the startline, and so he wasn't picked up by the mats. There is a paper trail, and the commissars are more than happy with the result.

HotChillee had 4 other teams riding. I rode past one of our development teams (after succumbing to Ben Swift's power and dropping off the team) and it looked like a warzone - the team had imploded spectacularly - bodies all over the place. That's probably the team you saw.

In case you're in doubt - this is what HotChillee Racing looked like:

20131123_160114.jpg

Otherwise - nice sporting behaviour ;)

Velouria

Nov 25, 2013, 11:04 AM

well done dude... you have no idea how glad I am NOT to be a part of this years team.

you guys were amazing...

Thanks Fandacious.

Everyone thinks we bought that result by getting Ben to ride with us - us weekend warriors still had to keep up with him. I've still got a rubbish pair of legs and I went to all sorts of dark places, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The HotChillee Racing team are a fantastic bunch of guys - some current stars, some everyday riders, and some future stars - and everyone gave it their all.

Red Zone

Nov 25, 2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks Fandacious.

Everyone thinks we bought that result by getting Ben to ride with us - us weekend warriors still had to keep up with him. I've still got a rubbish pair of legs and I went to all sorts of dark places, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The HotChillee Racing team are a fantastic bunch of guys - some current stars, some everyday riders, and some future stars - and everyone gave it their all.

You can't buy a result with a single import in a race with over 3000 m of climbing. You dudes looked styling as you passed me on the way down to Montague, calm and in control. Rubbish legs, what nonsense, the last time you had rubbish legs was Lourensford in 2002 when I beat you.
Eldron

Nov 25, 2013, 11:15 AM

What is it with this race? Every year we see accusations, sarcy comments, my tottie is bigger than yours statements and general wet pantiness.

I'm not trying to add to the silliness just really curious as to why this happens every year....

Is it just the nature of the beast (200km+ race with following vehicles and pro/amateur mix teams)?

AuctionLamb

Nov 25, 2013, 11:22 AM

We so happy with our result it feels like we won the DC!! :lol:

Red Zone

Nov 25, 2013, 11:23 AM

What is it with this race? Every year we see accusations, sarcy comments, my tottie is bigger than yours statements and general wet pantiness.

I'm not trying to add to the silliness just really curious as to why this happens every year....

Is it just the nature of the beast (200km+ race with following vehicles and pro/amateur mix teams)?

Simple, IQ drop after 200 km of riding, means that some riders just dont have the grey matter to understand what is going on, with a chaotic finish area. They hear a little conspiracy theory and suddenly want to get all UCI on everyone
Eldron

Nov 25, 2013, 11:26 AM

and suddenly want to get all UCI on everyone

Bwahahaha - post of the week!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment