Events

Hoffman and Willeit race to victory at Cycle4Cansa

Supplied by De Villiers National Cycling.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Team ENZA/PBC captain, Nolan Hoffman, sprinted to a convincing bunch victory at the Bestmed Cycle4CANSA, which was presented by the Optimum Group at Sun City today.

Hoffman started his gallop very early but had enough endurance sprinting power to stay ahead to the line. Tyler Day finished in second and Josh van Wyk rounded off the podium in third spot.

Hoffman was full of praise for his team-mates who, after working tirelessly throughout the race, still had enough left in the tank to lead him into the final corner in third wheel.

Going into the final corner his team-mates, Steven van Heerden and David Maree, were ahead of him. “The plan was that two team-mates take me into the last corner, and it worked out perfectly,” said Hoffman.

“Steven rode through the corner incredibly fast and by the time we exited we had already opened a gap. I then launched and capitalised on their hard work. They were amazing.”

Pro Touch team manager, Tony Harding, concurred and said Hoffman was protected extremely well on the day. “I’m quite sure he was still fresh when he got to the line, and then he’s a difficult man to beat,” said Harding.

It was a record fourth win for Hoffman at the event. He narrowly missed out on the title last year when he misjudged the distance to the finish line. Today he made no mistake!

“A win at Cycle4CANSA is very important to me. It’s always kind of determined how the rest of my season turns out. It’s a big win and I am delighted that I was able to get a fourth title.”

Hoffman hails from the Boland, a region in South Africa which has produced many of the country’s finest sprinters.

Achieving a fourth win at Cycle4CANSA is another milestone in an illustrious professional career spanning 16 years. It was Hoffman’s 13th appearance at Cycle4CANSA.

In the women’s race the experience of Cherise Willeit shone through when she easily got the better of a small escape group in a dash for the line. Sanet Coetzee finished in second and Claudia Gnudi crossed the line in third.

Elite men:
  1. Nolan Hoffman
  2. Tyler Day
  3. Josh van Wyk
  4. Ryan Harris
  5. Rocco King

Elite Women:

1. Cherise Willeit
  2. Sanet Coetzee
  3. Claudia Gnudi
  4. Frances Janse van Rensburg
  5. Heidi Dalton

Veteran women:

1. Desray Foyn
  2. Linda Fouche
  3. Aneke Steenkamp

Junior Men:

1. Dian Fritz.
  2. Aidan Geary.
  3. Johan du Plessis

Veteran Men 30+

1. Franco Ferreira
  2. Egon Campbell
  3. Werner Roux

Veteran Men 40+

1. Kent Kirkwood
  2. Pieter Avenant
  3. Julien van der Pluym

Veteran Men 50+

1. Jaco Fouche
  2. Frikkie Viljoen
  3. Anton Duvenage

Tags:

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment