Events

Last call for Satellite Classic entries

· By Press Office · 34 comments

Entries for the ever-popular Bestmed Satellite Classic close at midnight on Tuesday.

The event is set to roll along the best cycling roads around Hartbeespoort Dam and the Magaliesberg area on October 17.

ccs-62657-0-84034300-1444049144.jpgThe Bestmed Satellite Classic, presented by ASG, is set to roll along the picturesque roads around Hartbeespoort Dam on October 17. Photo: Jetline Action Photo.

According to race organiser Wynand de Villiers of ASG Events, the road race on the Saturday provides one of the best tests of form ahead of Gauteng’s biggest cycling event, the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge.

“There are myriad reasons for this but most notably the incredible scenery on the route and the fact that it offers almost the exact same degree of difficulty,” said De Villiers.

He said the first half of both the 106km and 80km routes would wind past the dam at a time of day when the usually busy roads were dead quiet, affording cyclists a safe opportunity to take in their surroundings.

“They’re more often than not greeted by a glassy Harties without a breath of wind. It’s a breathtaking and surreal moment of stillness.”

While the feature race presented a test comparable to the Cycle Challenge, De Villiers said the 80km option was ideal for riders who were not yet at full fitness by offering them a more manageable ride to gauge their form.

“But both routes test their climbing legs with the four-kilometre Hekpoort monster.”

After conquering Hekpoort, he warned that the racing would be far from over, with a final sting in the tail waiting on Poeierbult.

“It’s a short climb but it looms just 10 kilometres from the finish, which makes it a real backbreaker.

“So there’s honestly no better preparation for 94.7.”

In addition, he said both the 106km and 80km road races were premier seeding events for the Cape Town Cycle Tour.

“We’ve also introduced a 60km event this year, especially for the fun riders.”

On the Sunday, mountain bikers can look forward to a true riding challenge in the 40km off-road race.

“Our route director Darren Herbst has worked tirelessly on the mountain bike route,” said De Villiers.

“It’s not a race for beginners and is really something for those with technical skills to display their abilities, with lots of ups and downs and winding trail sections.”

He suggested beginners and social riders should try out the 20km option.

Saloon Route 66 on the Hartebeeshoek Road will be the start/finish venue for all events.

As has become Bestmed tradition, R10 of every entry will be donated to the Cancer Association of South Africa.

Enter at www.asgevents.co.za/satelliteclassic and find the race on Facebook and Twitter for updates.

Comments

Wez-O

Oct 5, 2015, 1:00 PM

It will be interesting to see what the entries are like after the great organisation of having this and Amashova on the same weekend.

Also good to see that ASG are whoring out the entry process by pushing ASG products on you at every mouse click...

**Sarcasm off**

Underachiever

Oct 5, 2015, 2:04 PM

It will be interesting to see what the entries are like after the great organisation of having this and Amashova on the same weekend.

Also good to see that ASG are whoring out the entry process by pushing ASG products on you at every mouse click...

**Sarcasm off**

Hear you, nearly ordered the Rudy's!!  Will wait for the auction a little later!!!

Patchelicious

Oct 5, 2015, 2:13 PM

I must admit, that when I entered today, having about 15 different products pushed on me didn't sit well.

I understand and respect the need to cross sell, but this should be done tactfully.

Like Estate Lawyers hanging out at funeral houses ;)

ASG

Oct 5, 2015, 4:05 PM

**Sarcasm off**

That's not nice :) ... soooo many people have asked for more good deals at point of entry ... now its there you are not happy.  Is it really that bad?  Seriously, any ideas on how to handle it better?

Patchelicious

Oct 5, 2015, 4:23 PM

That's not nice :) ... soooo many people have asked for more good deals at point of entry ... now its there you are not happy. Is it really that bad? Seriously, any ideas on how to handle it better?

I think it's great that you are asking.

Yes, simply push less. Run your events business as such.

Cross sell a few products, event specific makes sense.

But do not make people feel like you are pushing everything on them. You already have such a strong marketing drive across all your businesses ( I get tons of mails from you guys) you don't need to over sell. It might make logical sense, but it just doesn't feel right and can results in brand perception alterations.

ASG

Oct 5, 2015, 6:43 PM

Do you want a job ????????. Will provide the feedback to the powers that be!! Enjoy the race!

shaper

Oct 5, 2015, 6:48 PM

That's not nice :) ... soooo many people have asked for more good deals at point of entry ... now its there you are not happy. Is it really that bad? Seriously, any ideas on how to handle it better?

Perhaps an opt out option at the start of event registration?

ASG

Oct 5, 2015, 7:26 PM

Opt out option sounds like a workable solution!! Thanks - great idea...We can call it 'Shaper's Opt Out option' ????

Lusiad

Oct 5, 2015, 7:51 PM

Does the 80km qualify as a seeding event for the Argus or just the 106km? Not sure the legs are ready for the 106km!  :mellow:

Wez-O

Oct 6, 2015, 6:00 AM

That's not nice :) ... soooo many people have asked for more good deals at point of entry ... now its there you are not happy.  Is it really that bad?  Seriously, any ideas on how to handle it better?

What he said... :)

shaper

Oct 6, 2015, 7:38 AM

Opt out option sounds like a workable solution!! Thanks - great idea...We can call it 'Shaper's Opt Out option' ????

Up until you said We can call it... I actually thought it a comment you would consider but if you want to make light of the matter then I guess any feedback given will likely be treated such 

Jensie

Oct 6, 2015, 7:49 AM

IS the parking issue and venue over crowding sorted for this edition?

Patchelicious

Oct 6, 2015, 7:51 AM

Also, please make sure those pesky protesters are not there this year, put a real damper on the mood last time :ph34r:

boredgirl

Oct 6, 2015, 8:12 AM

I looked at entering but then I noticed the entry is R300 for 80km. Is this because it's a seeding event?  947 was R385 and that's full road closure.

I used to do Satellite classic for years, it was one of my first ever road events back in the day of Telkom Satellite and I was so eager I did it in the rain. I found that doing the 90km option always gave me a clear indication of my 947 time. They were always pretty much the same so I really liked to do it so I knew what to aim for at 947. But at these prices I can no longer do road events. As i'd like to do 947 for as long as I can, I am prepared to spend the money so it will have to be my only seeding event.

Honkdonk

Oct 6, 2015, 8:52 AM

I really enjoyed this last year. Had no issues whatsoever with the venue. The race itself was great. Fast and flat with only the climb at Hekpoort to get over.

I did the 80k and it worked VERY well as a seeding for this years Argus lite, so my advice would be that if you are not fully prepared for the long distance, give the 80km a bash. Do it well and you will be in a good position for the CTCT, but then make sure you put in the effort!

Paulst12

Oct 6, 2015, 9:37 AM

Really? Is one page of ASG goods for sale a problem? Come on... it took all of 1 second to glace at it and deceide whether there was anything and then move to the next page.

Aside from that I'm looking fwd to the race... have a bone to pick with Hekpoordt :cursing: 

Bianchisti

Oct 6, 2015, 9:56 AM

They sucker palmed a pair of socks (and something else-forgot what it was) off on me when I entered. :blush: :D

Just wondering if it's going to be black or white as I didn't get to select an option. Guess they will surprise me :ph34r: or I must've done something wrong :stupid:

Wonder if I shall use my heavier bike for this flat course? Any ideas?

Patchelicious

Oct 6, 2015, 10:24 AM

Really? Is one page of ASG goods for sale a problem? Come on... it took all of 1 second to glace at it and deceide whether there was anything and then move to the next page.

Aside from that I'm looking fwd to the race... have a bone to pick with Hekpoordt :cursing: 

They asked for feedback....

Paulst12

Oct 6, 2015, 11:31 AM

They asked for feedback....

They said they appreciate the feedback, but that was after all the complaints about their products being put on an entry ... I am on the opposite spectrum in that I like to see whats new and special... within reason of course so the 1 page was worth a scan

Cheese

Oct 6, 2015, 11:53 AM

Did not think it was that long ago, but last time I entered this race in 2012 I did the 94 km.

Race went well until the last twenty or so of us in the AL bunch got to final 5-10 km , we could not attack, sprint or ride at stages due to traffic officers stopping cars to get in and out of venue.  

If we get some good reviews after the race I will be there next year.

Ryinc

Oct 6, 2015, 12:15 PM

Did not think it was that long ago, but last time I entered this race in 2012 I did the 94 km.

Race went well until the last twenty or so of us in the AL bunch got to final 5-10 km , we could not attack, sprint or ride at stages due to traffic officers stopping cars to get in and out of venue.

If we get some good reviews after the race I will be there next year.

The finish is on the satellite road not pelindaba anymorw so this issue is already resolved in.my view

Kallie.

Oct 6, 2015, 12:31 PM

Just entered for the 106km race, never done this one before and never done hekpoort before, should be interesting...

Patchelicious

Oct 6, 2015, 12:37 PM

Just entered for the 106km race, never done this one before and never done hekpoort before, should be interesting...

Dont stress.

Hekpoort is not as hard as people make it out to be. Same as Sterkies. You will have fun :)

ASG

Oct 6, 2015, 3:17 PM

Up until you said We can call it... I actually thought it a comment you would consider but if you want to make light of the matter then I guess any feedback given will likely be treated such 

Being dead serious - 'opt out option' is the answer I think...already discussed it with the developers to spec...seriously did not mean to offend you  :thumbup:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment