Events

Pedal around the Peninsula

· By Press Office · 8 comments

The Pedal Power Association is organising a funride around the Peninsula on Sunday 6 September 2015. This will be the first road funride of the season and, although the route is only 55 km, it is quite a tough one with three major climbs included.

From the school in Fish Hoek, cyclists will head out on Main Road to Kommetjie, where the first climb of the day up Slangkop awaits. After Slangkop, there will be a bit of a breather through Misty Cliffs and Scarborough before turning right at the back of Red Hill.

Pedal up the long drag past the entrance to Cape Point to recover a bit on the undulating section through Millers Point and Simonstown. Then it’s left up the big climb of the day: Red Hill.

At the top of Red Hill, the route turns back down through Da Gama Park and left onto the main road. Participants will then turn left at the Glencairn traffic lights for the final climb up Black Hill to finish at the top of the hill. There will be a 5 km neutral zone back to the venue.

This may not be a very long ride, but the hills will make it a tough workout if you decide to ride the hills hard. If not, take it easy and enjoy the stunning scenery and a nice day out with other cyclists – why not pedal to and from the start to add distance?

Children u/15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Half-price fee for all u/18. We regret that, due to all the climbs, no children u/12 can participate in the event.

No helmet, no ride. No transponder, no time – PPA pays for its members to be electronically timed by Racetec and PPA members will start in the seeded batches ahead of non-members. Non-members will not be timed.

For more information, please see the Pedal Power Association website on www.pedalpower.org.za. Online entries will open 19 August 2015.

Route description

55 km: From the school in Fish Hoek, cyclists will head out on Main Road, turning right at the Fish Hoek circle to pedal along the M65 (Kommetjie road) and into Kommetjie, where the first climb of the day up Slangkop awaits. After Slangkop, there will be a bit of a breather through Misty Cliffs and Scarborough before turning right at the back of Red Hill. Pedal up the long drag past the entrance to Cape Point to recover a bit on the undulating section through Millers Point and Simonstown. Then it’s left up the big climb of the day: Red Hill. Remember to look at the great views from the top – perhaps you can even spot some whales. At the top of Red Hill, the route turns back down through Da Gama Park and left onto the main road. Participants will then turn left at the Glencairn traffic lights for the final climb up Black Hill to finish at the top of the hill. There will be a 5 km neutral zone back to the venue.

This may not be a very long ride, but the hills will make it a tough workout if you decide to ride the hills hard. If not, take it easy and enjoy the stunning scenery and a nice day out with other cyclists – why not pedal to and from the start to add distance?

Directions to venue

From Cape Town: Take the M3 from town all the way to end of Free Way at Westlake. Turn left onto Steenberg Road and go to main Road traffic lights. Turn right to Muizenberg going over Boyes Drive or use Main Road to Fish Hoek. Turn right after the Clovelly traffic lights into Banks Road and proceed to the school fields parking area.

If coming over Ou Kaapse Weg, turn left at the Sun Valley / Kommetjie Road four-way traffic intersection towards Fish Hoek and turn left onto first avenue or Main Road and follow the signs to the school. GPS Coordinates: S34.132017, E18.431733.

Notes

Due to all the climbs, no children u/12. Children u/15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Half-price fee for all children u/18.

Remember to collect your new PPA funride number prior to the event, or allow extra time to do so at the event.

No helmet, no ride. No transponder, no time – PPA pays for its members to be electronically timed by Racetec and PPA members will start in the seeded batches ahead of non-members. Non-members will not be timed.

Related posts

Comments

Pure Savage

Aug 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

Lekker, nice early season ride in SS!

Pure Savage

Aug 18, 2015, 1:09 PM

Not sure why there are site seeing tips in the route description, it should say, at the top of red hill, go full gas to stick on that laaties wheel and not get dropped.

Sparki 1

Aug 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

Would have loved to do this one but unfortunately i'm doing the Tip-Trans the day b4. Can I safely say that this is the replacement race for tour de Worcester?

T-Bob

Aug 18, 2015, 2:12 PM

A fast little test for the season opener! 

Pure Savage

Aug 18, 2015, 2:17 PM

Would have loved to do this one but unfortunately i'm doing the Tip-Trans the day b4. Can I safely say that this is the replacement race for tour de Worcester?

I can safely say I don't see a date clash :P

This is probably the Worcester replacement.

Sparki 1

Aug 18, 2015, 2:23 PM

I can safely say I don't see a date clash :P

This is probably the Worcester replacement.

lol, you right dammit, no date clash. however will still be in Citrusdal on this day.

DJR

Aug 18, 2015, 4:26 PM

I'll be there! Great short and very sharp route!

Thomo

Aug 19, 2015, 5:39 AM

Lekker, nice early season ride in SS!

Definitely reason to be excited as there aren't man rides in SS nowadays.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment