Events

Team announcement for MTB Marathon World Champs

· By Press Office · 12 comments

Cycling South Africa’s Mountain Bike Commission has great pleasure in announcing that the following riders have been selected to represent South Africa at the 2017 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships in Singen, Germany, from 24-25 June.

The riders have been selected in line with the 2017 CSA-MTB Selection Criteria.

Elite Men:
Nico Bell
Max Knox
Philip Buys
Sithembiso Masanga

Women:
Robyn de Groot
Amy McDougall

ccs-62657-0-22794900-1495810149.jpgNico Bell (NAD Pro Team) claimed the top honours in the Elite Men’s race at the 2017 SA MTB Marathon Championships at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday 21 May. Photo: BOOGS Photography

Those riders who qualified through the UCI World Marathon Series that intend to participate in the Marathon World Champs are required to send their information to Dellah Paul dellah@cyclingsa.com so that the entry can be processed.

The 2017 edition of the UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships will take the Elite Men along a 98-kilometre route and the Elite Women along an 80-kilometre route in the Hegau area of Germany, just north of the German/Swiss border.

Climbs will be short but characteristically steep as the riders traverse the German countryside in pursuit of the rainbow jersey and the accolade of being dubbed the World Champion.

Congratulations on your selection and we wish you every success.

Related posts

Comments

BaGearA

May 26, 2017, 3:39 PM

Why is Alan not on there ?

Who won it last year ?

Jurgens Smit

May 26, 2017, 4:40 PM

Why is Alan not on there ? Who won it last year ?

Not really his focus I would guess while the xco season is in full swing.

BaGearA

May 26, 2017, 6:10 PM

Not really his focus I would guess while the xco season is in full swing.

I completely agree but still his goals should not reflect in the commission's picks , I mean he must out rank the other riders ( no disrespect to them , they're all amazing riders) my miles in terms of UCI points 

Jimmy 2.0

May 26, 2017, 10:09 PM

I completely agree but still his goals should not reflect in the commission's picks , I mean he must out rank the other riders ( no disrespect to them , they're all amazing riders) my miles in terms of UCI points

did he even participate at SA marathon champs?
Sitting slip

May 27, 2017, 2:00 AM

Sithembiso Masanga. who is this and how many races has he won?

Griffin

May 27, 2017, 3:44 AM

did he even participate at SA marathon champs?

No he didnt.. Alan was at the XCO World Series .. placed 6th

Griffin

May 27, 2017, 3:47 AM

Sithembiso is an experienced racer, having been with the Change a Life team for several years. 

Familiar face at the larger KZN events and no stranger to the podium

Jewbacca

May 27, 2017, 9:56 AM

Rad... Good luck to everyone. 

May 27, 2017, 10:41 AM

Did well at munga last year.
milky4130

May 27, 2017, 10:54 AM

he is the guy that will drop you so hard even sitting slip will still not help you.
Jimmy 2.0

May 28, 2017, 8:50 PM

No he didnt.. Alan was at the XCO World Series .. placed 6th

my personal view if he wasn't at SA marathon champs then he couldn't really qualify for world marathon champs, there is a couple of riders who I think should be on that list that aren't (including Alan) but if they don't show up for SA marathon champs then CSA can't really select them for worlds. But yet again maybe marathon racing isn't Alan's focus at the moment.
Rick Sanchez

May 28, 2017, 8:56 PM

The team looks good and I think they are our best riders. Never heard of Sithembiso though.

Good luck to all of them!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment