Anti-doping rule violation for top track cyclist: In-competition Test

Cycling South Africa reports that Maroesjka Matthee has been found guilty of an anti-doping rule violation after an in-competition test conducted on 8 August 2016 confirmed the presence of Pseudoephedrine.

The SAIDS Independent Doping Hearing Panel imposed a period of ineligibility of one year, commencing on 02 October 2016. Ms. Matthee is therefore suspended and prohibited from competing and administering in the sport of Cycling as well as in any other sport in South Africa and Internationally from 2 October 2016 – 1 October 2017. This decision may be appealed by Ms. Matthee, the UCI and SAIDS.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness and extensive testing programmes.

86 Comments

Patchelicious, Nov 15 2016 12:58

snip*

In Darryl's case he spent a lot of money doing an investigation and could prove that the convincing a pharmacist to say that he had handled the banned substance on that equipment prior to filling his capsules. Hence the contamination.

snip*

Could this be a plausible alternate ending?

milky4130, Nov 18 2016 09:33

Here is a shocker, Beroca Boost is also illegal.

Wonder how many people knew that

as someone who sometimes uses Beroca Boost i was a bit worried by your comment that it is illegal. So I went onto SAIDS website to check but couldn't find it. Could it be that it was banned before but no longer? Who is your source? Thanks

fac4305377ccd4eb4b994c90cdb4ae4e.pngfac4305377ccd4eb4b994c90cdb4ae4e.png

andydude, Nov 18 2016 10:43

as someone who sometimes uses Beroca Boost i was a bit worried by your comment that it is illegal. So I went onto SAIDS website to check but couldn't find it. Could it be that it was banned before but no longer? Who is your source? Thanks

I would also like to know more. And not just a friend told me. I want to see where it's written.

This example kind of shows how difficult it is to search for things.

See in the pictures two interesting points. In the first one they talk about searches, but nothing after. The second one is more interesting, because it seems it was banned in 2008 at least, because of the possibility of unlisted ingredients. Which begs the question, how can athletes search for unlisted ingredients?!

543ebae51922d0f2209b07d445e2bb44.jpga4a342a54a57bf87785a8a4760632d44.jpg

Icycling, Nov 18 2016 11:20

Hubber before you just "throw a  fellow cyclist under the bus" for a doping offense of this nature - as some hubber are now finding out its not that easy to know what is or is not legal and yet can be bought at PnP.

Apparently sponsors are again pulling out the sport.

Sharkie 2, Nov 24 2016 01:42

Hubber before you just "throw a  fellow cyclist under the bus" for a doping offense of this nature - as some hubber are now finding out its not that easy to know what is or is not legal and yet can be bought at PnP.

Apparently sponsors are again pulling out the sport.

What sponsors?

Sharkie 2, Nov 24 2016 01:43

WADA whom SAIDS is affiliated to has complete lists on their website, just takes a bit of time to search

olffie1, Nov 24 2016 01:50

Believe me there are more to come!!!! SOON.
Another substance that is banned are the eye drops with the green top which is for the treatment of inflamed eyes and or conjunctivitis!

eddy, Nov 24 2016 02:03

What sponsors?

Berocca

Frosty, Nov 24 2016 02:31

This does not work always.

I explicitly asked the doc to check and make sure.

When I got the meds at the pharmacy I checked via the app and.....jip....banned.

So not all doctors are created equal.  Check it yourself!

Agree.

My doctor The doctors the family goes to say it's better to ask the pharmacist dispensing the meds, and then use the phone browser as a final confirmation before agreeing on which one to take.

NotSoBigBen, Nov 24 2016 02:33

Believe me there are more to come!!!! SOON.
Another substance that is banned are the eye drops with the green top which is for the treatment of inflamed eyes and or conjunctivitis!

Seen a promise like that here on the hub a few times wouldn't hold my breath #Old&Cynical

Sharkie 2, Nov 24 2016 02:37

Seen a promise like that here on the hub a few times wouldn't hold my breath #Old&Cynical

Must say got the same feeling reading the comment