Events

National Omnium Champions head to Durban for Grand Prix

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Rounds one and two of the South African Track Grand Prix and National Series take place in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, at the Cyril Geoghegan Cycle Track from 7-9 August 2016. The UCI CL2 classified event has Elite riders hungry for all-important UCI points on offer. Included in the Elite list of entries, is Team Telkom’s Nolan Hoffman.

When looking back at his 2016 season so far, Hoffman said: “I would say the best highlight for me this year would be the National Champs in Port Elizabeth where I won the 15-kilometre Scratch race for the sixth consecutive year in a row.”

ccs-62657-0-24319500-1469535819.jpgNolan Hoffman (Team Telkom) will soon head to the province of KwaZulu-Natal to take part in rounds one and two of the South African Track Grand Prix and National Series, which take place in Durban, at the Cyril Geoghegan Cycle Track from 7-9 August 2016. Photo: Cycling SA

The Team Telkom rider said that he will be going “all-in” for the Scratch and Points race events. “That will be my biggest focus for the event,” he added.

The National Omnium Champ is excited about heading to the City of Durban for the UCI Class 2 event. “I’m pretty excited for the Grand Prix, it will be the first of its kind in South Africa I think. I have had a good winter so far and the training is going well. I hope the racing will be fast and aggressive. It’s always nice to get a break from cold Joburg, so I’m looking forward sunny KZN,” he said.

Although much-needed rain is expected for the province over the next few days, event organisers are expecting nothing less than friendly KwaZulu-Natal sunshine come event weekend.

Hoffman will also be taking part in the Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic cycle race in October, hoping to reclaim his 2014 title.

Other big names headed for the province are among those of 1 Kilometre Time Trial and Points race African Continental Champion Jean Spies, Bernard Esterhuizen, Maroesjka Matthee and Charlene Du Preez, to name a few.

Women’s Omnium Champion Charlene du Preez is thrilled to be taking part in the event. “I’m feeling very excited for this huge opportunity to attend the SA Grand Prix – it’s a Class 2 event, so that definitely adds to the excitement,” she said.

ccs-62657-0-64611700-1469535818.jpgNational Women’s Omnium Champion, Charlene du Preez (Clover) is looking forward to the UCI CL2 event, rounds one and two of the South African Track Grand Prix and National Series, which take place in Durban, at the Cyril Geoghegan Cycle Track from 7-9 August 2016. Photo: Cycling SA

Du Preez will be joined by her husband Jaco, on the trip. “We are looking forward to the little getaway,” she said.

When chatting about her training, du Preez said: “The hard part of training is almost done and it is almost time to ease up and rest a bit. I do get that tingling feeling in my stomach when I think about the races, especially now that the clock seems to be ticking faster to race day.”

The Cover SA rider has been preparing for the endurance races, and hasn’t had much time to focus on the sprint events. “I will just do those for fun,” she added. “The focus will be on the Scratch, Elimination and Points race. It will be a privilege once again to represent Clover SA at the SA Grand Prix in Durban,” she said.

A favourable prize purse is on offer to those taking part, with over R60 000 up for grabs.

Entries for the South African Track Grand Prix Series 1&2 (UCI CL2) are closed, and no late entries will be accepted.

For more information, click here: http://www.cyclingsa.com/2016-sa-track-grand-prix/.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment