Events

SA’s Benedict Moqumo Picked To Attend UCI Track Camp

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Benedict “Bennie” Moqumo, one of South Africa’s most promising young track cyclists, has been offered a place at the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) 2019 Track Identification Camp.

ccs-62657-0-45748600-1568912339.jpg2019 SA Track Champs. Photo Credit: Owen Lloyd

This camp, which takes place at the UCI’s World Cycling Centre (WCC) Aigle, Switzerland, in mid October, assesses the skill and performance of young athletes.

This could be career changing for Moqumo (20), who was born and raised in Soweto and has never been to Europe, as athletes who excel and meet the camps performance criteria could be asked return in 2020 to train at the WCC.

“It is a huge step for Bennie,” GIG Sports Agency’s (GIG) Brigitte Mileson said, “a good performance at this camp can open doors for a career in cycling at the highest level. We have been working with Bennie unofficially for some time but have recently signed him into the GIG group of athletes to ensure he gets the best possible preparation for his trip to the WCC.”

An excited Bennie commented “I am determined to do my absolute best at the camp and hopefully follow the other African cyclists such as Froome, Teklehaimanot and Kudus to name a few, who trained at the WCC. The camp will definitely test my abilities and capabilities in the sport and will push me to new limits.”

GIG is putting together a plan to raise the funds needed to get Bennie to the WCC. Flights, train travel, visa’s and living expenses are expected to be about R20 000. If you would be willing to assist please email: got.it.global@gmail.com

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment