Events

Western Cape Trailseeker series heads to ‘MTB heaven’

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Round 2 of the 2017 Nissan TrailSeeker Mountain Bike Series takes place in Grabouw this Saturday, offering what Western Cape mountain bikers widely consider ‘a piece of MTB Heaven’.

ccs-58780-0-22534200-1498051932.jpgLikely podium contender Matt Beers (Red-E/Cannondale) will be giving Team BCX a run for their money at the Nissan TrailSeeker Western Cape Series in Grabouw. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za

With forests and mountains and the lush, green vegetation of the Cape winter, the mountain bike trails in and around Grabouw have become a firm favourite, incorporating some spectacular singletrack that’s both scenic and stimulating.

The significant popularity of the Nissan TrailSeeker Series lies in the fact that it caters for all riders with the four events on offer. Each route – Marathon (67km), Half-marathon (38km), Fun Race (20km) and Fun Ride (10km) – is designed to offer participants a distance-appropriate challenge, but not too technical so that there’s also a high fun factor.

ccs-58780-0-87759000-1498051934.jpgWaylon Woolcock claims (Team BCX) claims victory at the previous Nissan TrailSeeker Western Cape Series in Tulbagh – Sure to be a race favourite for this weekend in Grabouw. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za

“The Nissan TrailSeeker Series events always offer a good experience. The courses are not overly technical, but are challenging enough. The routes are well marked and the water points are awesome,” said Clifford van Ass, a regular entrant of the Nissan TrailSeeker Series events, who will be on the start line in Grabouw on Saturday.

As usual, the race village will cater for spectators and offer a relaxing environment for riders and supporters before the start and after the finish.

As far as the likely title contenders go, Team BCX’s Waylon Woolcock and HB Kruger will head up the podium challenge in the men’s marathon. Woolcock won Round 1 in Tulbagh and leads the 2017 Nissan TrailSeeker Marathon Series.

“I’m looking forward to racing in Grabouw again. I always enjoy the trails out there. Between HB and I, we are eager to try and take the win. I think both of us are in a reasonable condition to do so,” said Woolcock.

Another men’s podium contender is sure to be Red-E/Cannondale’s Matt Beers.

“I’m feeling good. I took a little break for a few weeks and have been building up nicely, so hopefully the legs come to the party on Saturday,” said Beers.

ccs-58780-0-57099100-1498051933.jpgCandice Lill (dormakaba) lines up to be a firm favourite at the Nissan TrailSeeker Western Cape Series in Grabouw. Photo Credit: www.zcmc.co.za

In the women’s Marathon, Candice Lill (dormakaba) lines up as the firm favourite. Should she win, it will be a hat-trick of victories for Lill at the popular event, after claiming the Grabouw event title in 2016 and 2015.

“The Nissan TrailSeeker events are always well organised and the route at the Grabouw event seems to suit me. I hope to have another good result again this weekend,” said Lill, who is coming off a mid-year break and isn’t back to peak racing form yet.

Nissan TrailSeeker Grabouw 2017 schedule of events:

Venue: Elgin Grabouw Country Club
Registration: Saturday, 24 June at Elgin Grabouw Country Club: 06h30-10h00
Race start times: Saturday, 24 June
07h45: Riders briefing
08h00: Start Marathon
09h00: Start Half-marathon
09h50: Start 20km Fun Race
10h10: Start 10km Fun Ride
12h00: Prize giving

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment