Promotions

First Ascent Launch Their Premium Podium Cycling Bib

· By Press Office · 40 comments

Years of development, refinement and performance testing has culminated in the development of our most advanced bib short yet – the Podium!

ccs-144148-0-46647800-1570705352.jpg

PODIUM RANGE

We know that in order to be a podium finisher, you need the right balance between performance and comfort, that’s why we developed a range, which provides all the qualities to allow you to go for gold.

Tailored to the serious rider, the Podium range features high quality fabric, the latest technology and aerodynamic race fits for maximum performance.

By adding a premium bib and jersey to our current cycling range, it has allowed us to expand and elevate our cycling offering, providing kit for all levels of performance.

ccs-144148-0-59885800-1570705359.jpg

BIB OVERVIEW

The Podium Bib utilises a blend of high quality Micro/Nylon Lycra and a pro-level Italian Chamois, to provide exceptional comfort for long days in the saddle.

The combination of Italian Tech Power fabric and insets ensures all-day support and stability, providing the perfect racing position fit.

This bib offers great visibility in low light conditions with premium reflective trims, while the Nylon/Lycra features a UPF50+ for sun protection.

THE CHAMOIS

The three-dimensional Italian foam chamois offers superior comfort and flexibility. Developed using the latest technology and fabrication this chamois features:

1. A 120kg/m3 high-density open cell foam padding for shock absorption and protection.
  2. A perforated inner foam layer for better breathability and improved elasticity.
  3. A 60kg/m3 top layer for body moulding.

A soft Italian fabric utilized on the top layer of the chamois provides exceptional next-to-skin comfort, with four-way stretch, moisture wicking and anti-microbial properties to offer superior comfort and protection.

ccs-144148-0-65711800-1571300063.jpg

LADIES SPECIFIC BIB

The Ladies Podium Bib offers full body support and comfort. An Italian Interpower mesh back panel features excellent wicking and breathability qualities, ensuring unrestricted evaporation and full range of movement for maximum comfort.

Designed specifically for females, this bib features a tailored female fit. A YKK waist zip allows for a smooth zip off process for when the bathroom calls.

The new First Ascent Podium Bib beautifully balances comfort, performance and style, making it class leader in performance cycle wear.

ccs-144148-0-53780000-1571300071.jpg

ccs-144148-0-09324600-1570705366.jpg

Tags:

Comments

fanievb

Oct 17, 2019, 7:36 AM

uhm ja,nee.

I'm all for local and what not, but at that price I'd rather get Ciovita or Giordana

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 8:05 AM

uhm ja,nee.

I'm all for local and what not, but at that price I'd rather get Ciovita or Giordana

I actually got to try out the new top-of-the-line Podium bibs and some of the jerseys on the road and a race or two and can honestly say that it rivals any similarly priced kit that I've worn before, both local and international!

This is definitely a massive leap forward from the First Ascent of old and I'm not saying the other brands are bad/worse, but I'd give it a shot...

Shane__bob

Oct 17, 2019, 11:11 AM

I actually got to try out the new top-of-the-line Podium bibs and some of the jerseys on the road and a race or two and can honestly say that it rivals any similarly priced kit that I've worn before, both local and international!

This is definitely a massive leap forward from the First Ascent of old and I'm not saying the other brands are bad/worse, but I'd give it a shot...

How do you try out a bib?haha

Was this something First Ascent gave to you?

I am on Fanie's side, that's a hectic amount of money to pay for something to give it a shot. 

HdB

Oct 17, 2019, 12:19 PM

Cheaper than Ciovita's top end Apex bib short, at least... but still more than double the most expensive item in my cycling closet.

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 12:23 PM

I am on Fanie's side, that's a hectic amount of money to pay for something to give it a shot. 

I tested a number of different samples throughout the development process.

When it comes to bibs, you do get what you pay for though, right? I'd much rather pay R1999 for a pair of bibs but know that the chamois won't collapse or the fabric won't turn see-through after a few rides.

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 12:32 PM

Have you seen what other local brands charge for their top-of-the-line bibs with Italian fabrics and Chamois??

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 1:12 PM

Cheaper than Ciovita's top end Apex bib short, at least... but still more than double the most expensive item in my cycling closet.

They've got a whole range of stuff, so something for everyone...

Veebee

Oct 17, 2019, 2:04 PM

When it comes to bibs, you do get what you pay for though, right? I'd much rather pay R1999 for a pair of bibs but know that the chamois won't collapse or the fabric won't turn see-through after a few rides.

the price never justifies quality...

The hype around Ciovita was crazy... yeah their stuff is good but I have a Corsa bib [R1500] and the chamois is on its last legs after only 8 months, and this too probably only being used once a week as I have various other bibs.

Shane__bob

Oct 17, 2019, 2:17 PM

Completely understand where you're coming from.

I have had, well still do have a pair of assos t mille bibs which are fantastic but the fabric started wearing after a year, which is cray to me. So a company can boast about whatever fabric they like, if assos will wear in a year I am sure the rest will. That's just my perception after dealing with that so each to their own.

You never know, FA could be worth it. But i think you would only know after a long term test.

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 2:21 PM

the price never justifies quality...

The hype around Ciovita was crazy... yeah their stuff is good but I have a Corsa bib [R1500] and the chamois is on its last legs after only 8 months, and this too probably only being used once a week as I have various other bibs.

What I meant was that going for top-of-the-range bibs often warrants the extra cash over mid/entry level bibs. Obviously it depends on the user and the purpose, but saying that R1999 is too much for top-of-the-range bibs with all the features seems a bit off...

Shebeen

Oct 17, 2019, 2:46 PM

I've worn a lot of fA bibs, over long distances.

Mainly because I'm a cheapskate, and buy them at their madness sales for R50-R100 each. probably gone through about 10 pairs in total. the fabric starts becoming a bit transparent before the chamois is done. if you want to sit on my wheel, you get that view.

Haven't had any issues really, and while that's just me, this is their older stuff. If they've improved their goods I wouldn't dismiss them without any real life feedback.

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 2:59 PM

Completely understand where you're coming from.

I have had, well still do have a pair of assos t mille bibs which are fantastic but the fabric started wearing after a year, which is cray to me. So a company can boast about whatever fabric they like, if assos will wear in a year I am sure the rest will. That's just my perception after dealing with that so each to their own.

You never know, FA could be worth it. But i think you would only know after a long term test.

That's also true, very few things in cycling are made to last for more than a season or two these days, so if I can get something that's comfortable and works the way it's supposed to, I'm smiling!

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 3:02 PM

Mainly because I'm a cheapskate, and buy them at their madness sales for R50-R100 each. probably gone through about 10 pairs in total. the fabric starts becoming a bit transparent before the chamois is done. if you want to sit on my wheel, you get that view.

Haven't had any issues really, and while that's just me, this is their older stuff. If they've improved their goods I wouldn't dismiss them without any real life feedback.

Those sales really are madness! And a good deal stays a good deal! I've also been down that road with those older bibs and I can honestly tell you that these new ones are in totally different league! The comfort and fit makes all the difference!

Pure Savage

Oct 17, 2019, 3:06 PM

Yeah that price point is going to be tricky. 

The Ciovita custom bib we have made lasts pretty well. The 2016 i have had the chamois replaced with the newer one and they keep on going. 

charl_i_am

Oct 17, 2019, 3:18 PM

Yeah that price point is going to be tricky. 

The Ciovita custom bib we have made lasts pretty well. The 2016 i have had the chamois replaced with the newer one and they keep on going. 

Where in the range do yours fit?? Regarding amount of time the Podiums will last, we'll see, but the fit and finish is great and I have high hopes....

StevJam

Oct 17, 2019, 6:39 PM

Those sales really are madness! And a good deal stays a good deal! I've also been down that road with those older bibs and I can honestly tell you that these new ones are in totally different league! The comfort and fit makes all the difference!

Does charl_i_am work for First Accent if you were involved in the "testing" ? I believe the way you wash/care for your bib is the most important way of making sure it'll last years. I own Assos Uno (entry level) bibs that are almost 8yrs old & have no issues. I do wash them by hand directly after my rides & then hang on a clothes rack to dry.

sirmoun10goat

Oct 17, 2019, 7:05 PM

Sometimes good enough is good enough, and sometimes it's not. Eating a McD's burger may fill the spot, but it might not be the best thing for you. Same applies to bibs

charl_i_am

Oct 18, 2019, 6:57 AM

Does charl_i_am work for First Accent if you were involved in the "testing" ? I believe the way you wash/care for your bib is the most important way of making sure it'll last years. I own Assos Uno (entry level) bibs that are almost 8yrs old & have no issues. I do wash them by hand directly after my rides & then hang on a clothes rack to dry.

I know a few people who work there but have no ties to the brand, they ask people to test pretty much all of their gear before designs etc are finalised. This range specifically went through quite a long testing and refinement process.

Assos are definitely a big brand with big money behind it and especially with your washing procedures it makes sense that they last that long... pretty impressive

charl_i_am

Oct 18, 2019, 6:59 AM

Sometimes good enough is good enough, and sometimes it's not. Eating a McD's burger may fill the spot, but it might not be the best thing for you. Same applies to bibs

Sure, different strokes for different folks...

babse

Oct 18, 2019, 9:26 AM

i certainly wont drop that cash on a FA cycling item 

Chriszelle

Oct 18, 2019, 9:53 AM

Being a female rider I appreciate the idea to design items specifically for the female body, but often that means at a higher cost. The Women's Podium Shorts are R400 more than the Men's. The bib has much more material than the men's, although the style is sexy - less is more here. Ironically, it's the same price as the men's. 

rushcarbon

Oct 18, 2019, 10:22 AM

Hi cyclists. We make the indola girona range of cycling clothes. I just happened to see this. This can become a very long thread. But it is interesting. hmmm the more you pay the larger the likely hood of being 120% happy, yes. There is an X factor, that is your personal body chemistry. Deep voodoo X. It is very interesting that even the most expensive bibs use a method of attaching their pad that means even their pad can cause chafe. All padding collapses, to a lesser or larger extent. Philip Goosen from Cycle Scene Worcester('n fietsry "diknek") told me yesterday he has a pair of our girona enduro's that R 8 years old. Still in weekly use. & Yes, we've also had people simply being not comfortable in our lycra. c u at the trail head. philip.

Thebmp

Oct 18, 2019, 12:25 PM

I personally think they should have just stuck to the entry level stuff, as cyclists (especially roadies) are so brand centric that I cant see anyone rocking up with a pair of R 2000 Sportsmans Warehouse First Ascent bibs when he's swinging his leg over a Specialized Venge. The guys want Italian stuff and if you are clever you can bring those brands in from overseas for the same price when they are on sale, even after duties etc, or just wait for local sales. I know locally there was a recent price war on Assos T.Mille S7's for R 2200 and for R 200 more it's a no brainer, even if these Podiums are technically better than the Assos, 9/10 people would pay the extra R 200 for the Assos.

Good luck to them and I hope they succeed but I have my doubts.

DieselnDust

Oct 19, 2019, 10:59 AM

One doesn't have to work for a company to do product testing. I've done product testing for CapeStorm on cyclng and hiking apparel as well as First Ascent when they first came to market. Many companies ask athletes for feedback on poducts while still in the development cycle. its not unusual 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment