South Africa’s First Subscription Box for Cycling Gear

Subscription box services are a growing trend for people to get niceties delivered to their front doors. But while this sounds like fun, you’re a cyclist. You want to get out on the trail or road and grind out miles for fun times and faster times. And you know that having the right gear is what gets you there.

20200625_125922.jpg
20200625_130341.jpg

So this box is for you. This box is loaded with cycling gear from the best local and international brands to unlock your PBs on the single track, on the gravel miles and on insane descents.

We’re not screwing around with this box. You want a bib to tackle your next marathon? You get it. Want new grips because your old ones can’t keep up? Done. And that’s just where it starts. Clothing, glasses, accessories, supplements, tools, lubes, vouchers, training programmes – it goes on.

We’re cyclists, so we put together a box with the kind of stuff that makes us drool. All the gear you need, never the same thing.

20200625_130816.jpg
20200625_130934.jpg
20200625_131238.jpg

20200625_130435.jpg
20200625_130904.jpg

Here’s how it works. The subscription fee is only R489/month. After 3 successful payments, we put together a box of insane gear and deliver your next levels performance right to you, for free.

And we’ll even sweeten the deal. Invite 3 mates to subscribe and if they join, we’ll throw in some discounts for extra beer money. Act fast, only 100 hundred spots are left and the first 10 people to sign up from Bike Hub get some extra goodness thrown their way. What exactly? We’ll keep it a surprise for now, but you won’t fear any 10% climb again.

20200625_131238.jpg
20200625_131311.jpg
20200625_131412.jpg

41 Comments

eddy, Jun 29 2020 01:29

I was five when I figured out that lucky packets are a scam.

slickjay007, Jun 29 2020 01:30

This isn't something new. Other sites like Vital have been doing it for ages. And it works well there>
https://gearclub.vit..._medium=Nav Bar

The issue is the contents. If it is something light-hearted and fun then great. Soft-goods, food, cheap, useful and generic parts and the occasional nice, universal item like that Lezyne pump. But things that are too stylized and personal such as shoes/bibs or colour-coded items are not going to be easy to sell.

Good concept, but the implementation needs some adjustment to work out

Now this would work better in my opinion.

1) You get a box "every" month

2) The items are generic that everybody can make use of.

3) The chance to get your monthly goods at a discounted rate.

TBoss1988, Jun 29 2020 01:38

I like the idea, but can undertstand the concerns mentioned in this thread as well. For me its all down to what kind of quality the items in the box are. Lets face it, R500.00 bucks a months doesnt really buy you a lot of gear anyway at regular prices.

Im keen to give it a try. for me, duplicates not an issue, as we end up giving them away to clients and so on. 

Im just trying to understand, if I get a box monthly (After the initial three month waiting period, or is it one box every three months?

Eddy Gordo, Jun 29 2020 01:46

So I pay close to R1500 and don't exactly know what I'm getting?

Is there some form of questionnaire that you at least know what items the person already has or needs? One only needs so many pumps, multi tools, water bottle cages or pairs of socks, unless its really something special. 

That is quite odd. One can go out and buy the goods

DieselnDust, Jun 29 2020 01:48

What can work is that they capture your preferences via your account.

They then select randomly the items from that Wish list and surprise you.

So If i have ASSOS Evo bibs in my wish list then maybe they can surprise me a set in my size and colour preference.

Obviously it would need to work out financially for them but then I can at least tell my Wife that Santa delivered the dropper and I could say this with a straight face.

Id just be paying them a portion of my monthly cycling budget and getting a "surprise" .

also the debit order should be linked to "book club" or "Puppy shelter"

Kind of like a Bicycle gear stokvel but with myself and subscription box

slickjay007, Jun 29 2020 02:02

What can work is that they capture your preferences via your account.

They then select randomly the items from that Wish list and surprise you.

So If i have ASSOS Evo bibs in my wish list then maybe they can surprise me a set in my size and colour preference.

Obviously it would need to work out financially for them but then I can at least tell my Wife that Santa delivered the dropper and I could say this with a straight face.

Id just be paying them a portion of my monthly cycling budget and getting a "surprise" .

also the debit order should be linked to "book club" or "Puppy shelter"

Kind of like a Bicycle gear stokvel but with myself and subscription box

R500/month would never cover most things on my wish list  :w00t:  

i would only get a box once or twice a year....

DieselnDust, Jun 29 2020 02:10

R500/month would never cover most things on my wish list  :w00t:  

That's the beauty of it. So maybe you can nominate the dates you want your "surprise"

Birthday and Christmas

R6000 per annum can be split in some nice gift hampers

Grease_Monkey, Jun 29 2020 02:12

R500/month would never cover most things on my wish list :w00t:

LOL there is one thing on my wish list right now, and I would only get it in 10 years time haha

slickjay007, Jun 29 2020 02:25

That's the beauty of it. So maybe you can nominate the dates you want your "surprise"

Birthday and Christmas

R6000 per annum can be split in some nice gift hampers

If i take what cycle gear i buy on a yearly basis...it definitely comes to more than R500/month if you divide it. Problem is that cycling gear has become so expensive that i would be worried that the hampers get smaller and smaller every time 

Grey Hubs, Jun 29 2020 02:32

Sell this idea to Stage races...

Otherwise...THE COMPUTER SAYS ....NO...

TheJ, Jun 30 2020 08:40

Someone put a lot of thought into this business idea, but just not enough. They ended with a "sure we can do that", where they should have ended with a... "but should we do that".

Sorry guys. Pass.

Mr Dampf, Jun 30 2020 08:48

Someone put a lot of thought into this business idea...

Nope. They put no thought into it. They copied an existing subscription model and just applied the idea of adding bike accessories into a box at R500 a month. 

Good luck to them. It might be something a completely new rider might be interested in but at that point you already got up-sold by your local into getting the helmet, socks, water bottle, multi-tool etc. 

Grease_Monkey, Jun 30 2020 01:16

tenor.gif

BenGraham, Jun 30 2020 01:40

Lol. no.

BigDL, Jun 30 2020 04:27

Good in theory, but I already have boxes of bits and pieces. Pumps, tools, lights etc and don’t need any more

porqui, Jun 30 2020 07:53

Springbok Radio

Pick - a - Box

(I know I'm old)