Touch adjust tool now available in limited edition colours

At Touch Bike Parts, based in Cape Town, we aim for functionality, high performance, long term value, and environmental awareness. Limiting replacing items after a few years of hard use, and encouraging you to spend more time efficiently adjusting the fit of your bike to improve your riding is our goal.

3 colours open.jpg

Our Touch adjust tool comes in a recyclable high quality cardboard sliding box with a magnet close feature for that slick feel and secondary use in mind for storing small parts, hoping that you can keep using it, and not throw it away!

The tool itself is built by you, using stiff 6061-T6 aluminium arms that bolt together using different width bolts, depending on the amount of tools you want to carry. The 2, 3 or 4 width bolts allow 4, 6 or 8 toolbits to be used from the total of 9 provided. All parts are CNC machined for accuracy of precision and fit. The toolbits and bolts are all heat treated stainless steel, while the machined washers are non heat treated stainless steel. All parts are highly corrosion resistant and ready to spend time in that sweaty pocket, wet bag or ocean air for many years, without becoming tarnished and rough to use. Built to last!

Touch toolset parts.jpg

We want you to look over your bike and choose which toolbits you need for adjustment, helping you learn about your bike. Building the tool accordingly limits unnecessary tools and the modularity makes it future proof ready for your next bike or parts that you fit. Together with this modularity, worn tool parts can be replaced at minimal cost if that time arrives, therefore keeping your tool in use indefinitely. For the hard to reach bolts on your bike you can also place the needed toolbits against the tool arms to allow for better clearance and reach. The package comes with all parts, ready to build, and is a fun project to do with your kids too! The expanded user experience is part of our product goals.

Touch Tool display.png

The 6 toolbit example shown in hand and in the technical drawing weighs only 79 grams and is therefore not very noticeable in the rear pocket of a cycling jersey, and makes it fast and easy to use from there. The compact pivot design of the toolbits saves a lot of weight and keeps the profile slim.

Designed for efficiency with the long arms and narrow profile to reach tight spaces on the bicycle, liking it to a mobile workshop on hand during your ride, yet compact and light, the slim shape fitting comfortably into pockets and bags, as well as one's hand.

Touch adjust 3 sizes.jpg

The long length gives excellent sensitivity to bolt torque, and great leverage, saving you time and energy, especially compared to short multi-tools, allowing one to comfortably unscrew tight through axles for example.

Glove friendly and ready to use on the go, the solid pivots, stiff arms, and specially shaped washers that keep the rotation dynamics consistent and controlled, lead to stable and fast use of the tool in any conditions. The open design allows one to easily select and use each toolbit with gloves on, allowing for fast and efficient use, even when one has been riding hard and the hands are tired.

Touch adjust  in hand.jpg

We also believe that the tool has better tool functionality without a chain breaker added to it. Likewise that a separate chain breaker provides better leverage and functionality in use, and would not clutter the Touch adjust tool for the hopefully few times you need to break a chain link during your riding years.

We hope you cherish our bicycle tool as much as we do for its entire life!

Please visit our website for more information and for purchasing.

There are limited edition colour models available online now... Black, green and violet arms!

Price is R900 each, for all colour options.

Views.png

71 Comments

AdamA, Nov 15 2019 12:11

Hi Morne,

Thanks!

I am very aware of all the tools out in the market... I spent many months dealing with the factory that make Topeak tools, but they could not do what I wanted in the end.

If I wanted to sell a product that is similar to what is out there already, I would just add my logo onto an existing design, many people do this in the bicycle industry with various products... It is just not the direction I want to go. Unless I feel I can evolve a products use/experience, I don't want to make it as there is so much choice out there already!

From my experience with modern bike technology, tyre levers and chain tools are seldom used on a ride... but they are needed!
Back in the day before tubeless and better chain production techniques I would be using tyre levers and chain tools a lot more often... but these days it is very much only on occasion - I don't even carry a tyre lever when I mtb.

The tool that one uses most, and that I want to encourage people to use, is a toolset to adjust their bike during rides.
Tweak that bar position, saddle tilt, brake lever angle, shifter position, pedal cleat tension, caliper position to stop rubbing, seatpost height, tighten headset etc.

I see so many people riding their bikes and complaining of comfort issues and their cleats too tight or loose. When what they need to do is start playing with their setup more, get accustomed to the different positions one adjusts the various parts on the bike etc, this all makes a huge difference to the riding feel, comfort, speed and handling one can manage on a bicycle.

The Touch adjust tool is the tool for this... it is designed to be quickly used to adjust the bike on the go, and the pleasure of using it I hope encourages people to play with their bike setup. Fixing a bike on the trail is hopefully not that common, bicycle technology is really good these days, and unless the bike has been assembled and maintained badly, or very cheap parts used, not a lot goes wrong on most rides.

For me, if I have to spend a minute just to get to my tool, and then take glove off to use it properly... sorry, it is just too much time and effort, and limits me wanting to adjust the bike.

I wonder how many people have ridden their bikes for months where during the ride they think, when I get home I will adjust my bar or saddle etc, and then when you get home, you never do it, one forgets!

I do plan to write some articles on bike setup on my website to help people understand more about this. And open to run a workshop for bicycle setup where people can start understanding how bar tilt can change your whole ride feel - just a small example. Suspension setup, tyre pressure, derailleur adjustments, how to tighten a headset, saddle positioning and how it affects ones riding when one changes it.

I see riders with bars tilted down on their mtb... its terrible on the wrists. Brake levers tilted flat and too close to the grip area so the hand is so crunched in when trying to brake, especially when they stand up. Shift levers so close to grip that the hand rubs on it.

Many riders know how to set their bike up, but majority don't... and I hope that my Touch adjust tool will encourage one to start this process from the fact that one needs to build the tool according to what your bike needs. You will need to check your bike out carefully and make the best decision!

I know this comment is bit off topic, but just trying to show the understanding behind the relationship one can have with ones bike and the tools and where I see my brand going with the products I will release - not just tools : )

What a brilliant reply! You raised many valid points and as has been mentioned before, this has been a long time in coming. 

TouchBikeParts, Nov 15 2019 12:11

What bikeshops in Pretoria is suppose to have stock of this?  

Will you guys be at the 94.7 expo?

:thumbup:

Howdi!|

We are selling online mainly for now, some local Cape Town shops do have some stock, but as mentioned in the comments somewhere (I know there are many!)... the production cost of the product is very high and I don't have a huge amount of stock... so selling to shops or distributors is not a focus at the moment unfortunately...

Shops are welcome to contact me... I am happy send a few out!

Wont be at 94.7 expo unfortunately, sorry!

solty, Nov 15 2019 10:43

I got one about 2 months ago. Great service from Raoul.
The tool fits well in the hand, with no flexing or twisting across the frame when you're really cranking something. Excellent machining.

PhilipV, Nov 18 2019 02:09

I looked at one at my LBS this morning. Shoooweeee it is a nicely made tool. 

I don't need it all, I won't even ride with it, but I NEED it! 

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 02:19

I looked at one at my LBS this morning. Shoooweeee it is a nicely made tool. 

I don't need it all, I won't even ride with it, but I NEED it! 

Hey Philip... nice to hear, thanks! But hope that if you do get one, you will start to ride with it : )

With a little lube on the pivot washers and some extra pre-loading of the bolts, it really becomes a satisfying experience using it...!!
Apart from the look of all the machined parts that you like, the use of it I hope will make one want to use it all the time!

I have stopped using my workshop tools when working on my bikes at home as I just really enjoy the wielding of it - except for pedals and cranks, I use proper extra long length tools for them to get the required torque.

Jewbacca, Nov 18 2019 03:02

This tool is rad. It's on my Christmas list. I would ask for Pink sides but I know he will just laugh at me.

Also, maybe you should machine a pocket size shovel so we can keep all the berms and cut aways sharp on the cork tree trail........  :whistling:

I love how okes know better without knowing that Raoul has been a big part in designing bikes, building bikes, fitting bikes, designing suspension systems, messing with frame geo, speccing bike OEM etc for years!  :ph34r:

Spinnekop, Nov 18 2019 03:31

This tool is rad. It's on my Christmas list. I would ask for Pink sides but I know he will just laugh at me.

Also, maybe you should machine a pocket size shovel so we can keep all the berms and cut aways sharp on the cork tree trail........  :whistling:

I love how okes know better without knowing that Raoul has been a big part in designing bikes, building bikes, fitting bikes, designing suspension systems, messing with frame geo, speccing bike OEM etc for years!  :ph34r:

What makes you think we don't know who Raoul is?

Shebeen, Nov 18 2019 03:32

oh I think there's laughing going on

3Tool.jpg

Jewbacca, Nov 18 2019 03:36

oh I think there's laughing going on

3Tool.jpg

That's purple?

Jewbacca, Nov 18 2019 03:38

What makes you think we don't know who Raoul is?

Umm.... Maybe you do but judging by some of the comments I'm sure not everyone does.

I definitely didn't say 'Nobody knows' just that some people don't.

Why is everyone so sensitive?

I think it's that time of the year where I bow out of this place

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Nov 18 2019 03:44

Umm.... Maybe you do but judging by some of the comments I'm sure not everyone does.

I definitely didn't say 'Nobody knows' just that some people don't.

Why is everyone so sensitive?

I think it's that time of the year where I bow out of this place

Don't do it, guy! Don't! 

And yeah, that is def purple. 

Jewbacca, Nov 18 2019 03:56

Don't do it, guy! Don't! 

And yeah, that is def purple. 

hahahaha I won't.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who either see's that as purple or is colour blind.

Pink and purple are not the same thing!

Plentipotential, Nov 18 2019 04:14

Pink, purple, chain breaker or no chain breaker, that is a sweet piece of kit. You have raised the bar. I tip my hat to you Sir. Well done!

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 04:23

That's purple?

It is violet... and depending on the light, quite pink! Had them anodised locally and the green and violet are quite subdued, nice "sophisticated" versions of them.

Green is very mature colour. Violet I would call is a pastel violet, pink. Come have a look if you in the area, can select a pair : )

Jewbacca, Nov 18 2019 04:30

It is violet... and depending on the light, quite pink! Had them anodised locally and the green and violet are quite subdued, nice "sophisticated" versions of them.

Green is very mature colour. Violet I would call is a pastel violet, pink. Come have a look if you in the area, can select a pair : )

hahaha Violet, Mauve, Magenta..... It's not pink! 

But I will definitely get Mrs McKechnie to order me one of the almost pink ones for Christmas!

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 04:33

Haha cheers for the comments... I'm looking for a shovel that can fit into the tool arms so I can carry it to the trails where there are rogue berms that appear to have no function, and return the ground to it's natural shape : )

But until then I will try my best to contain my unhappiness of all the berms popping up on every local trail in our beautiful forests.
I remember the days when I used to actually corner my bike haha.
And will spend my time instead making some more products and hope to bring some more things to market before end of the year...

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 04:35

Pink, purple, chain breaker or no chain breaker, that is a sweet piece of kit. You have raised the bar. I tip my hat to you Sir. Well done!

Thank you Sir! May it rain new bicycle parts gently on you.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Nov 18 2019 04:38

Haha cheers for the comments... I'm looking for a shovel that can fit into the tool arms so I can carry it to the trails where there are rogue berms that appear to have no function, and return the ground to it's natural shape : )

But until then I will try my best to contain my unhappiness of all the berms popping up on every local trail in our beautiful forests.
I remember the days when I used to actually corner my bike haha.
And will spend my time instead making some more products and hope to bring some more things to market before end of the year...

I think this is the best sentence on the internet, tipped only by Curtis Robinson in The Coastal Crew.... 

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 04:47

I think this is the best sentence on the internet, tipped only by Curtis Robinson in The Coastal Crew.... 

https://youtu.be/0zL...LuqKNKOqs?t=25 

Hahaha - I am so bermed out now.

DieselnDust, Nov 18 2019 07:01

I know who Raoul is, and his rep. Hence the need for a Raoul chain taoul...
that would be caoul...
Brijg on some more draoul

TouchBikeParts, Nov 18 2019 09:42

I know who Raoul is, and his rep. Hence the need for a Raoul chain taoul...
that would be caoul...
Brijg on some more draoul

Hehe, how could I not after such poetry... the pipeline has a bit of a queue, but will sprout a chain tool at some point!
Hoping my next product you will jump at  ; )