Promotions

Touch adjust tool now available in limited edition colours

· By Press Office · 71 comments

At Touch Bike Parts, based in Cape Town, we aim for functionality, high performance, long term value, and environmental awareness. Limiting replacing items after a few years of hard use, and encouraging you to spend more time efficiently adjusting the fit of your bike to improve your riding is our goal.

ccs-144148-0-68017300-1573558138.jpg

Our Touch adjust tool comes in a recyclable high quality cardboard sliding box with a magnet close feature for that slick feel and secondary use in mind for storing small parts, hoping that you can keep using it, and not throw it away!

The tool itself is built by you, using stiff 6061-T6 aluminium arms that bolt together using different width bolts, depending on the amount of tools you want to carry. The 2, 3 or 4 width bolts allow 4, 6 or 8 toolbits to be used from the total of 9 provided. All parts are CNC machined for accuracy of precision and fit. The toolbits and bolts are all heat treated stainless steel, while the machined washers are non heat treated stainless steel. All parts are highly corrosion resistant and ready to spend time in that sweaty pocket, wet bag or ocean air for many years, without becoming tarnished and rough to use. Built to last!

ccs-144148-0-58273800-1573558082.jpg

We want you to look over your bike and choose which toolbits you need for adjustment, helping you learn about your bike. Building the tool accordingly limits unnecessary tools and the modularity makes it future proof ready for your next bike or parts that you fit. Together with this modularity, worn tool parts can be replaced at minimal cost if that time arrives, therefore keeping your tool in use indefinitely. For the hard to reach bolts on your bike you can also place the needed toolbits against the tool arms to allow for better clearance and reach. The package comes with all parts, ready to build, and is a fun project to do with your kids too! The expanded user experience is part of our product goals.

ccs-144148-0-27761100-1573558090.png

The 6 toolbit example shown in hand and in the technical drawing weighs only 79 grams and is therefore not very noticeable in the rear pocket of a cycling jersey, and makes it fast and easy to use from there. The compact pivot design of the toolbits saves a lot of weight and keeps the profile slim.

Designed for efficiency with the long arms and narrow profile to reach tight spaces on the bicycle, liking it to a mobile workshop on hand during your ride, yet compact and light, the slim shape fitting comfortably into pockets and bags, as well as one’s hand.

ccs-144148-0-40079700-1573558102.jpg

The long length gives excellent sensitivity to bolt torque, and great leverage, saving you time and energy, especially compared to short multi-tools, allowing one to comfortably unscrew tight through axles for example.

Glove friendly and ready to use on the go, the solid pivots, stiff arms, and specially shaped washers that keep the rotation dynamics consistent and controlled, lead to stable and fast use of the tool in any conditions. The open design allows one to easily select and use each toolbit with gloves on, allowing for fast and efficient use, even when one has been riding hard and the hands are tired.

ccs-144148-0-12891300-1573558128.jpg

We also believe that the tool has better tool functionality without a chain breaker added to it. Likewise that a separate chain breaker provides better leverage and functionality in use, and would not clutter the Touch adjust tool for the hopefully few times you need to break a chain link during your riding years.

We hope you cherish our bicycle tool as much as we do for its entire life!

Please visit our website for more information and for purchasing.

There are limited edition colour models available online now… Black, green and violet arms!

Price is R900 each, for all colour options.

Email: info@bike-touch.com
Instagram: touchbikeparts
Mobile: +27 82 670 4042

ccs-144148-0-95957200-1573558058.png

Comments

MrJacques

Nov 13, 2019, 6:43 AM

Looks nice - seems to be good quality.

Mawbs

Nov 13, 2019, 6:45 AM

:eek:  for 900 hundred ronds 

MarcHD

Nov 13, 2019, 7:59 AM

I think it's one of those products you purchase once and you give it to your grand kids though...

TouchBikeParts

Nov 13, 2019, 8:56 AM

Hi Mawbs, thanks for the feedback, we understand that it is a fairly high price for a bike tool!

But also please understand the amount of CNC machine time it takes to make all these parts (9 toolbits, 6 bolts, 16 curved washers and 2 arms), the high quality materials used, plus the heat treatment with tumble polish process too... it is designed to last a lifetime!

If compared to say a chainring that is CNC machined from one piece of aluminium, it takes much longer and material cost much higher to produce this toolset, yet we still offer the complete tool package at only slightly higher/lower cost to a high end chainring... just an example. One can compare it to other CNC made products of course.

The value is in that it is made to last and not easily corrode, parts are replaceable without needing to buy a completely new tool, and in this way we see that 900 Rand will give you value in the long run and hope that the highly functional enjoyment of using it for many years will be of value too!

We are happy to give another option of bike tool to the world in a product we believe will have an increased lifespan, and in many ways this is our ultimate goal.

Rudii

Nov 13, 2019, 9:19 AM

In essence you also get 3 multi-tools for R900

Hi Mawbs, thanks for the feedback, we understand that it is a fairly high price for a bike tool!

But also please understand the amount of CNC machine time it takes to make all these parts (9 toolbits, 6 bolts, 16 curved washers and 2 arms), the high quality materials used, plus the heat treatment with tumble polish process too... it is designed to last a lifetime!

If compared to say a chainring that is CNC machined from one piece of aluminium, it takes much longer and material cost much higher to produce this toolset, yet we still offer the complete tool package at only slightly higher cost to a high end chainring... just an example. One can compare it to other CNC made products of course.

The value is in that it is made to last and not easily corrode, parts are replaceable without needing to buy a completely new tool, and in this way we see that 900 Rand will give you value in the long run and hope that the highly functional enjoyment of using it for many years will be of value too!

We are happy to give another option of bike tool to the world in a product we believe will have an increased lifespan, and in many ways this is our ultimate goal.

DieselnDust

Nov 13, 2019, 9:20 AM

I think it's one of those products you purchase once and you give it to your grand kids though...

Spot on. I fiddled with one at my LBS in Somerset West.

Holy toledo this tool is well made. If they bury you with it, archiologists in 100million will wonder what instrument this is in  but name this period the Touchian epoc.

T-Bob

Nov 13, 2019, 9:28 AM

I've got one on my 'want' list after seeing them at Stoke in CT and damn that are well made. At first I was very much in the 'R900 for a multi tool camp??' but look at the attention to detail, the size and the fact you can build it any way you want and it's going to be a keeper. I've got an annoying park tools one that I hate and struggle to use without the red mist coming down and that cost me nearly R500 so this seems pretty good for a crafted bit of kit. Also I think there will be extra bits for it coming online along the way so it'll keep evolving. 

GlennH

Nov 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

R 900 and no chain tool.... Eish... 

Dan Dob

Nov 13, 2019, 1:43 PM

Invested my money on a green one (the colour is sooooo good in real life) and I must say that it is so clever to be able to build the tool with the pieces YOU want. Also, building it up is like playing with lego again (I actually let my 6yr old daughter do it).The quality feels brilliant and sturdy and using it makes me happy. If it seems too much put in on your Christmas wishlist and get your family/spouse to buy it for you. Much better than getting 4 sh1$ gifts ;)

Hamstring

Nov 13, 2019, 2:22 PM

I have an Leatherman and if its anything like that im going to get one.  

Pipsqueak

Nov 13, 2019, 2:51 PM

Looks amazing. One hint for an even smaller version. I've been looking for a simple tool with a 5mm allen on one end and 4mm on the other. That's it - like a steel stick. Can't believe no one makes it.

BaGearA

Nov 13, 2019, 3:07 PM

If compared to say a chainring that is CNC machined from one piece of aluminium, it takes much longer and material cost much higher to produce this toolset, yet we still offer the complete tool package at only slightly higher/lower cost to a high end chainring... just an example. One can compare it to other CNC made products of course.

Are the tool bits also cnc'd out/forged of alloy and then heat treated?

Shouldn't they be tool steel?

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 13, 2019, 3:13 PM

Fiddle with it, touch it, feel it, and you'll understand why. It's a beautiful piece of kit. 

Nov 13, 2019, 3:14 PM

Read the article, BaGearA...

The tool itself is built by you, using stiff 6061-T6 aluminium arms that bolt together using different width bolts, depending on the amount of tools you want to carry. The 2, 3 or 4 width bolts allow 4, 6 or 8 toolbits to be used from the total of 9 provided. All parts are CNC machined for accuracy of precision and fit. The toolbits and bolts are all heat treated stainless steel, while the machined washers are non heat treated stainless steel. All parts are highly corrosion resistant and ready to spend time in that sweaty pocket, wet bag or ocean air for many years, without becoming tarnished and rough to use. Built to last!

BaGearA

Nov 13, 2019, 3:17 PM

Apologies

TouchBikeParts

Nov 13, 2019, 3:18 PM

Hi!

The toolbits start off as 420 stainless steel rod, CNC lathed, then CNC machined for the pivot and tip area, then heat treated to 50 HRC, then tumble polished for the finish... so they are hard, very corrosion resistant and not brittle at all. Bolts are made with same material and heat treatment.

Tool steel is general collection of alloyed steels that harden from various processes, depending on the use they vary a lot. For example, tool steel made for a file is extremely hard but brittle, it snaps under pressure, but can keep a sharp edge better than a softer steel, but the softer steel will not snap as easily, such as used for Allen keys etc. 

Nov 13, 2019, 3:18 PM

Apologies

:lol:

TouchBikeParts

Nov 13, 2019, 3:50 PM

Looks amazing. One hint for an even smaller version. I've been looking for a simple tool with a 5mm allen on one end and 4mm on the other. That's it - like a steel stick. Can't believe no one makes it.

Hi, thanks! I know what you mean... I think I have seen them before, they came with some furniture sets that need assembly. Like a Torx T25/T10 dual combo "L" shape tool that comes with avid brakes often... I have some ideas for very light simple tools... I will let you know if they come into fruition ;)

aquaratza

Nov 13, 2019, 10:07 PM

I have one of these tools; they're SUPER light and really well made. Fun to assemble too. Mine came in handy during the W2W.

20191025_121738-e1573682743794.jpg

babse

Nov 14, 2019, 7:49 AM

R 900 and no chain tool.... Eish... 

my thoughts too... 

for me a chain breaker is a MUST on a multi tool.

cool product tho!

Shebeen

Nov 14, 2019, 7:58 AM

I actually haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but just checked my email to look up a date.

22 June 2010 - that's when the designer (can I call him mr touch now?) of this sent out a survey about multi tools.

".....And a final open question: What do you find most problematic about your current setup of tools while biking?

Many thanks again. Look forward to reading your answers on Thursday evening ;)"

He has been planning this for a long time, I'd be in the "tool for life" camp without even inspecting one. This is obviously not for everyone, in the same way you can buy a garmin for R10k, a seiko for R50k or a xonix for R100 there should be a premium option for multitools.

TouchBikeParts

Nov 14, 2019, 8:31 AM

I actually haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but just checked my email to look up a date.

22 June 2010 - that's when the designer (can I call him mr touch now?) of this sent out a survey about multi tools.

".....And a final open question: What do you find most problematic about your current setup of tools while biking?

Many thanks again. Look forward to reading your answers on Thursday evening ;)"

He has been planning this for a long time, I'd be in the "tool for life" camp without even inspecting one. This is obviously not for everyone, in the same way you can buy a garmin for R10k, a seiko for R50k or a xonix for R100 there should be a premium option for multitools.

Hey Shebeen, very observant! yes, it has been a long time coming...

You can call me Raoul haha.

It is hard to compete with other tool manufacturers as they produce many thousands of them at a time to lower the cost, and at the same time they are generally discarded when one tool wears out, or they corrode.

I am trying to change this with my brand as I believe it is not ultimately sustainable. But everyone has a choice in life and that is great! Choices are great...

So competing with other tools on price is difficult, and the cost to manufacture these Touch adjust parts is expensive. So people have no real issue spending a lot of money on certain products without knowing what the cost to make them is, much like bicycle tyres, grips, chainrings etc. People are accustomed to spending little money on tools as they are made by factories in extremely large quantities to get the cost to consumer down, that is how industry works in general...

I choose to use a tool without a chain breaker attached as I find it gets in the way of using the tool effectively. The chain breaker I hope I never use... I last used one a few years ago on a trail... so for me to have a chain breaker on the tool every time I adjust my saddle, bar, headset etc, is not worth it... I have a small chain breaker that goes in my pocket. If one is breaking a chain often I would seriously consider investigating why, it is not normal!

So I hope that with what I can offer, after the tool is used for many many years, one can think back and see that it is actually saving one money, and at the same time a pleasure to use ( I hope :P ).

There are other products in the pipeline that are more performance based products, and am excited to get them out there.

I realise a bicycle tool does not make one go faster, but being able to adjust the bike effectively will!

shaper

Nov 14, 2019, 8:56 AM

my thoughts too... 

for me a chain breaker is a MUST on a multi tool.

cool product tho!

Have to agree, i wont buy a tool unless there is a chain breaker.  I don't see the point in carrying multiple tools and wont.

TouchBikeParts

Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 AM

Have to agree, i wont buy a tool unless there is a chain breaker.  I don't see the point in carrying multiple tools and wont.

Chain breaker is important for many people to have. I used multi tools with chain breakers on them over the years, problem I have is that as the narrower chains get stronger (10/11/12 speed), the pins are riveted on so well that unless the chain tool has good leverage it gets really hard to break the pin through the plates. There is usually a lot of leverage available on the pin of the tool to drive forward, but holding onto the small chain tool body is hard work, it wants to twist with the turning of the pin.

But there are some out there that work well all combined when the chain lever body is long enough to hold onto! I still find them cumbersome to use overall, so choose separate tools for better use in what they do in isolation. Thanks for the feedback!

P.s. I also find combined multi tools with chain breakers very heavy, and becomes a solid lump in one of my cycling pockets which I find very off putting. Spreading the items between pockets makes it far less noticeable to me...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment