Promotions

Win Big at the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase

· By Press Office · 38 comments

Race the world’s best mountain bikers from home or hit the trails in search of King and Queen of the Mountains trophies in the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase. Take part on Zwift or Strava and win amazing spot prizes.

ccs-144148-0-36149200-1603794843.jpg

To stoke the Serious GEES for mountain biking in the absence of the 2020 events, the FNB Wines2Whales presents the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase!

A virtual challenge that allows riders to compete against the world’s best mountain bikers in a pro-am pursuit style Zwift event, and against local legends on many of South Africa’s favourite trails via Strava. Plus, with prizes from the event and its partners up for grabs, there’s every reason to ride this summer.

LAY DOWN SOME WATTAGE ON ZWIFT

The virtual leg of the FNB Wines2Whales Champions Chase is a pursuit challenge on Zwift. Amateur riders will be able to race against legends of the sport, including Annika Langvad, Manuel Fumic, Maxime Marotte, Barbara Benko, Samara Sheppard, Calle Friberg, and a growing selection of elite South African mountain bikers, like Matt Beers and Mariske Strauss. Amateur riders will be given a head-start and will give it their all to hold off the hard-charging professionals on the Road to Ruins course on Zwift.

Taking place on Sunday 1 November, the FNB W2W Zwift Champions Chase will be broadcast live on the FNB Wines2Whales Facebook page and YouTube channel. South African downhiller Andrew Neethling and Shaun Peters will be commentating on the racing from 09:00. The amateurs set-off at 09:10 while the professionals will start a few minutes later.

Entry is free and riders can sign up on Zwift. Please join the ‘Community Riders’ bunch.

GET SERIOUS ON STRAVA

For riders who prefer to hit the trails, the FNB W2W Strava Champions Chase provides another reason to ride and will happen from 30 October – 8 November. Currently there are 10 Strava segments created across the country, all of which cater to the trail-loving nature of FNB W2W’s riders.

To take part in the action, riders will need to join the FNB Wines2Whales Strava club and download the GPX files for their closest trails, and then head off for some outdoor action. Each of the routes is between 20 and 25 kilometres long; all riders who complete any of the segments are in the running to win prizes, and random winners will be selected from the Strava Leaderboards. King and Queen of the Mountain prizes will be awarded to the fastest men and women for each segment too.

WHAT YOU CAN WIN

The FNB Wines2Whales and its amazing sponsorship family have put together a fantastic list of prizes that includes entries to the 2021 FNB Wines2Whales Switchback events, FNB W2W merchandise vouchers, Cape Brewing Co. caps and beers, Ciovita cycling kits, Land Rover driving experiences, Falke sock hampers, Oakley sunglasses, Squirt bike care hampers, wine from the area’s finest farms, Woolworths hampers, accommodation packages, Thule luggage, Specialized hampers, and a brand new bike from BH Bikes South Africa, valued at +- R90 000. And last but not least, one lucky participant can win a virtual training session with Team INEOS Grenadiers!

#GEES4GOOD

In keeping with the spirit of Serious GEES, the professional riders taking part in the Zwift Chase have agreed that their prize money will be donated to the FNB Wines2Whales beneficiaries. Initiatives like the Botriver Educational Foundation and the De Rust Futura School, as well as Cape Trails, rely upon funds raised through the events to continue their charitable work in the area the race passes through. By simply taking part, riders can ensure that these organisations remain front of mind and continue to benefit from the FNB Wines2Whales.

To find out more visit wines2whales.com

Join the Zwift event here: https://www.zwift.com/events/view/1107541?eventSecret=8ebadcad8ce1ccaa55ee

Join the FNB Wines2Whales Strava Club here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/fnbwines2whales

ccs-144148-0-57225900-1603794861.png

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Jbr

Oct 28, 2020, 7:27 AM

I see only one time from 2020 on the tygerberg segment... now I feel I must go give it a try some day..

lukelockie

Oct 28, 2020, 7:48 AM

I see only one time from 2020 on the tygerberg segment... now I feel I must go give it a try some day..

The segments open on Friday and all rides between 30 October - 8 November count as entries; I reckon there's a good chance of winning some awesome stuff!

Jbr

Oct 28, 2020, 7:50 AM

The segments open on Friday and all rides between 30 October - 8 November count as entries; I reckon there's a good chance of winning some awesome stuff!

oh I thought it was open last weekend already !

lukelockie

Oct 28, 2020, 7:55 AM

oh I thought it was open last weekend already !

Nah, under the Get Serious on Strava paragraph it says 30 Oct - 8 Nov. This could be the first time my name ever pops up anywhere near the KOMs!

Hilton.

Oct 28, 2020, 8:50 AM

Google Chrome doesn't let me download the GPX files, says it appears to be malicious? 
Had to use MS Edge browser instead.

Headshot

Oct 28, 2020, 8:54 AM

Enjoy the TokaiMTB track which I rode on my enduro bike and created for WTW/TokaiMTB. I was pleased to see it had the most climbing. The route takes in jeep track ascents to level 5, down the Coronation Curves, then Boulders down, up to Mamba, down the Snakes to Rinkhals, back up to Vasbyt and down again.

dirtypot

Nov 2, 2020, 9:09 AM

Did anyone else do the Zwift ride yesterday?  The 'no draft' was unexpected and I wish I hadn't slowed down in the beginning to let the chasing group catch up to me.  They provided no help at all :P  
After that it was a solo run through to the end.  Good little workout for the legs.

Schmorglebot

Nov 2, 2020, 9:19 AM

Did anyone else do the Zwift ride yesterday?  The 'no draft' was unexpected and I wish I hadn't slowed down in the beginning to let the chasing group catch up to me.  They provided no help at all :P  

After that it was a solo run through to the end.  Good little workout for the legs.

No draft! I had no idea! I was wondering why I was doing more work than the guy in front of me!

It was brutal. The front 2 guys shot off and a rate I knew I couldn't hold so I dropped back a bit. If I'd known it was going t be a solo TT things might have gone differently. Nabbed 7th, so I'm happy with that

dirtypot

Nov 2, 2020, 9:58 AM

No draft! I had no idea! I was wondering why I was doing more work than the guy in front of me!

It was brutal. The front 2 guys shot off and a rate I knew I couldn't hold so I dropped back a bit. If I'd known it was going t be a solo TT things might have gone differently. Nabbed 7th, so I'm happy with that

You finished just in front of me - I was 8th.  Those front two were pushing mega watts the whole way.  I could only sustain that pace for about a kilometer  :P

Schmorglebot

Nov 2, 2020, 10:48 AM

If I'd known there was a R1000 for the top three finishers maybe I would have tried harder! In reality I was never going to hang with them.

I could see you reeling me in at the end, it took a lot to just maintain that gap. Congrats on the top 10!

W@nted

Nov 2, 2020, 11:07 AM

You finished just in front of me - I was 8th. Those front two were pushing mega watts the whole way. I could only sustain that pace for about a kilometer :P

Haha well done. Then you were just ahead of me!

Would have been a different race if drafting was enabled and it was known that there were prizes for the top 3????

Started of easy to try and form a nice group, until I realised there was no drafting????????‍♂️ At least Matt Beers did not catch us.

dirtypot

Nov 2, 2020, 12:03 PM

If I'd known there was a R1000 for the top three finishers maybe I would have tried harder! In reality I was never going to hang with them.

I could see you reeling me in at the end, it took a lot to just maintain that gap. Congrats on the top 10!

This is the first I'm seeing about the R1000.  Didn't know anything about that.

At the end I was fan viewing the front guys watching them dice for the line.  When I came back I saw that I was closer to you than I was before, but I thought to myself "seventh or eighth, who cares" and I saved some legs for my next ride.  Maybe I should have been more focused and pushing, but I was happy with top 10 anyway.  

Schmorglebot

Nov 2, 2020, 12:51 PM

This is the first I'm seeing about the R1000.  Didn't know anything about that.

At the end I was fan viewing the front guys watching them dice for the line.  When I came back I saw that I was closer to you than I was before, but I thought to myself "seventh or eighth, who cares" and I saved some legs for my next ride.  Maybe I should have been more focused and pushing, but I was happy with top 10 anyway.  

I looked at their Facebook page this morning to see what the lucky draw situation was and saw a pic congratulating the top three oaks on their R1000. The W2W entries have already been won but I'm holding thumbs for something cool to come my way :)

lukelockie

Nov 2, 2020, 1:11 PM

I looked at their Facebook page this morning to see what the lucky draw situation was and saw a pic congratulating the top three oaks on their R1000. The W2W entries have already been won but I'm holding thumbs for something cool to come my way :)

There are loads of prizes still to come! I am gonna try shave a few seconds off my Tokai time this week as I am currently sitting in second place. Note that that was not an invite to go try push me even further down the leaderboard.

Jewbacca

Nov 2, 2020, 1:28 PM

There are loads of prizes still to come! I am gonna try shave a few seconds off my Tokai time this week as I am currently sitting in second place. Note that that was not an invite to go try push me even further down the leaderboard.

I didn't even know you could ride a mountain bike.... I'm guessing the segment is a jeep track climb or the mast tar road?  :ph34r:

lukelockie

Nov 2, 2020, 1:29 PM

I didn't even know you could ride a mountain bike.... I'm guessing the segment is a jeep track climb or the mast tar road?  :ph34r:

Pal, you're the one who crashed on tar...

Paddy_W

Nov 2, 2020, 1:31 PM

giphy.gif

Jewbacca

Nov 2, 2020, 1:36 PM

ha! I also fall weekly on the MTB! 

News bot

Nov 5, 2020, 12:33 PM

If you missed out on the action on Zwift there are still great prizes up for grabs in the Strava segments:

• KOM and QOMs will receive pairs of Oakleys.

• There are two Land Rover Driving Experiences up for grabs.

• Wine hampers from wine farms and estates along the route.

• A virtual training session with Ben Swift from Team INEOS Grenadiers.

• Two sets of Ciovita cycling kit

• Two FNB Wines2Whales Entries

• Woolworths hampers

• Accommodation at Trail’s End

• Accommodation at The Marine in Hermanus

• Accommodation at Houw Hoek Hotel

• And a BH bike worth R90 000!
W@nted

Nov 5, 2020, 2:10 PM

If you missed out on the action on Zwift there are still great prizes up for grabs in the Strava segments:

• KOM and QOMs will receive pairs of Oakleys.
  • There are two Land Rover Driving Experiences up for grabs.
  • Wine hampers from wine farms and estates along the route.
  • A virtual training session with Ben Swift from Team INEOS Grenadiers.
  • Two sets of Ciovita cycling kit
  • Two FNB Wines2Whales Entries
  • Woolworths hampers
  • Accommodation at Trail’s End
  • Accommodation at The Marine in Hermanus
  • Accommodation at Houw Hoek Hotel
  • And a BH bike worth R90 000!

I was under the impression that all prizes were lucky draws, with everyone in with a chance of winning. I do not see the point in some pro cyclists winning a pair of oakleys for the fastest strava segment time.

Just my 2c. Maybe I read the t&c wrong on the initial adds.

samson99

Nov 5, 2020, 2:42 PM

I was under the impression that all prizes were lucky draws, with everyone in with a chance of winning. I do not see the point in some pro cyclists winning a pair of oakleys for the fastest strava segment time.

I have to agree with you re the Pros. But it is what it is

Nick

Nov 5, 2020, 3:00 PM

From the original article these comments link to:

Each of the routes is between 20 and 25 kilometres long; all riders who complete any of the segments are in the running to win prizes, and random winners will be selected from the Strava Leaderboards. King and Queen of the Mountain prizes will be awarded to the fastest men and women for each segment too.

W@nted

Nov 5, 2020, 3:35 PM

From the original article these comments link to:

Cool, thanks!

cat-i

Nov 6, 2020, 7:02 PM

I'm sure Rosemary Hill was on this list, but now can't find it anywhere. It will have to be Northern Farms, then. Hope it's not too muddy after the recent torrential rain.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment