Darkhorse Wheels launches Darkhorse Bikes division with its flagship bike, the Eclipse

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse Side On Hero.jpg

Having been in the cycling industry for over 10 years and being obsessed with everything on two wheels, the team behind Darkhorse Wheels saw a gap in the market for a lightweight ebike that is comfortable both on and off road.

After over two years in development the team are very pleased to present a range of bikes that represents everything we love about cycling.

Designed to feel equally at home in the city as it is on gravel roads winding through the mountains. A blend of low weight, comfort and style with an added boost when needed. The Eclipse is the perfect tool for doing whatever you like – whether it’s commuting from work or heading off for an epic adventure. A companion for every part of your life.

Designed To Enhance Your Ride, Not Eliminate The Sweat

Paired with our carefully designed frame is the trusted Mahle Ebikemotion X35+ motor and battery system resulting in a bike that is lightweight, sleek and understated. Every pedal stroke is enhanced, allowing you to ride harder, faster and longer than ever before.

The 36V/250W hub-drive motor system provides 3 smooth levels of power assistance up to a maximum of 32kmh, with near-zero drag in off-mode. Ensuring your ride feels as natural as a regular bike.

The optional range extender fits into a water bottle type holder on the seat tube and gives you the ability to almost double your range.

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse gearing.jpg

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse cockpit.jpg
Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse front triangle.jpg

Choose Your Configuration

We are launching with the Eclipse range which will be available in the 3 configurations; a drop bar, MTB flat bar; and a belt drive. The Eclipse AL-D1 and Eclipse AL-F1 will come paired with the trusted and hugely versatile SRAM Apex1 1x11 HRD groupset while the Eclipse AL-B1 makes use of the world-renowned Gates Carbon Belt drive. All options come standard with a Fabric saddle, tubeless 700x40c tyres with a max clearance for a 45c, and a 3 year warranty.

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse gravel.jpg
Eclipse AL-D1 - Drop handlebars, SRAM Apex1 1x11 HRD

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse commute.jpg
Eclipse AL-F1 - Flat handlebars, SRAM Apex1 1x11 HRD

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse commute 2.jpg
Eclipse AL-B1 - Flat handlebars, Single Speed Gates Belt drive

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse connect.png

Connect

Our bikes feature the latest ANT+ and Bluetooth® technologies to connect your bike to your phone, smart watch or Garmin device. View and control the functions of your bike through the dedicated Ebikemotion Android or IOS app for phone, and smart watches. Once connected login to the web portal to further analyse your rides, log any system faults and much more.

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse front.jpg

Darkhorse Bikes Eclipse Tafelberg Road.jpg

28 Comments

Darren Robertson, May 03 2021 06:42

Will they be making an analog/non-e road bike at all?

ashortchase, May 03 2021 10:28

So the women needs the E-Bike to keep up? Did we not learn anything from Pinarelo? 

Shebeen, May 03 2021 12:46

these bikes are cool, i think they at the right pricepoint to do well.

Pure Savage, May 03 2021 12:47

So the women needs the E-Bike to keep up? Did we not learn anything from Pinarelo? 

Where do they say that?

In the video, is it not a guy saying he uses it to keep up with his mates?

Darren Robertson, May 03 2021 12:49

these bikes are cool, i think they at the right pricepoint to do well.

100% agree, and the price point is what made me think that a road race bike would be worth a look!

Headshot, May 03 2021 01:26

Do they come with a free beard? 

Bikalot, May 03 2021 01:29

Just a heads up, looks like your site is down.

Danger Dassie, May 03 2021 01:36

Literally nothing of the sort in the clip and nowhere near any kind of correlation to the Pinarello ad. No matter how sugars you put in your latte.

Nick, May 03 2021 01:39

Do they come with a free beard? 

Matt has been showing up to the morning rides on one of these recently. He's yet to sprout any significant hair growth to hide his boyish looks  :P

Pure Savage, May 03 2021 02:20

Literally nothing of the sort in the clip and nowhere near any kind of correlation to the Pinarello ad. No matter how sugars you put in your latte.

I think it was the last pic from which this comment was aimed.

One can never do anything right

shaper, May 03 2021 02:32

Where do they say that?

53s into the first video, is clearly a girl catching the guys having pressed the button, you can see the ponytail.

'Dale, May 03 2021 02:32

giphy.gif

ashortchase, May 03 2021 02:53

Where do they say that?

Nope, watch it again.

ashortchase, May 03 2021 02:54

It's okay, one day you will catch up. Hopefully. 

Grease_Monkey, May 03 2021 02:56

Well priced, good looking. Looks like a really good option for a commuter.

Well done!

ashortchase, May 03 2021 03:03

I think it was the last pic from which this comment was aimed.

One can never do anything right

They were clever enough to make an E-Bike, I'm sure they are clever enough to come up with a better narrative for their video.  

Danger Dassie, May 03 2021 03:31

It's okay, one day you will catch up. Hopefully. 

Seems the problem isn't the video or alleged faux passe ;) 

Shebeen, May 03 2021 03:36

53s into the first video, is clearly a girl catching the guys having pressed the button, you can see the ponytail.

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

I think you're on a weird fishing expedition without bait or tackle.

Grease_Monkey, May 03 2021 03:43

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

We live in an online world where people just cannot wait to signal how virtuous they are. Side tracking the launch of a lekker local product with rubbish like this.... eish.

shaper, May 03 2021 03:44

I am on no expedition, you seem rather confused.

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

Matt, May 03 2021 03:58

I've been cruising around on the drop bar version for the last few weeks on a mix of commutes, road rides and gravel outings. After hearing the story & about the bike and price point from the Dark Horse team I jumped at the chance to give it a test ride.

More to follow in a review soon, but I'll unashamedly say that button & the extra watts helped me keep up on a few hills on a regular roadie morning loop. 

Shebeen, May 03 2021 04:21

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

yup. i am rather confused. 4 different people riding an ebike, all of them using it to give them a little "boost". Yet somehow we seem hung up on how 25% of the models are seen as weak because they are female?

This is all just a silly sidetrack when we should really be discussing the bike Mike's fabulous beard.

Pure Savage, May 03 2021 04:52

I only saw the second video on my phone, first one did not load. Tough Monday here.

ashortchase, May 03 2021 05:16

Oh, yes sorry that makes more sense now.    

ashortchase, May 03 2021 05:19

Seems the problem isn't the video or alleged faux passe ;)

You sure you watching the correct video?