Tech

First Look Friday: Lapierre XR 729, Luvhandles grips and Thule VeloCompact

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 26 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re featuring the Lapierre XR 729, Luvhandles soft grips and Thule VeloCompact bike carrier.

Lapierre XR 729

Lapierre XR 729 1.jpg

The Lapierre XR 729 is a carbon cross-country orientated mile cruncher. The first thing you notice on the XR 729 is that the shock is hidden in an odd protruding seat tube to accommodate the single pivot suspension design. I’ve grown fond of the striking look but don’t expect to squeeze two water bottles within the front triangle.

Lapierre XR 729 2.jpg

Expecting a full blown XC bike, we were a little stumped when a custom built XR 729 with a 120mm Pike and dropper seatpost arrived in the office. The only component that was stock (according to the Lapierre website) was the wheelset and tyres. After the first ride, however, it all made sense but I’ll leave those details for the full review.

Lapierre also produce the Lapierre XR 729 e:i which uses an electronic shock to adapt automatically to the terrain. This models retails for R82,995. Custom builds of the mechanical suspension bike can be arranged. You can view all the 2016 Lapierre bikes at www.lapierrebikes.co.za.

LuvHandles

Luvhandles was started by twin brothers late last year who were tired of paying too much for bike components such as grips. So they set out to find a high quality silicone grip to sell directly to the public at a reasonable price.

Luvhandle Grips 1.jpg

A neat feature of their online offering is that it allows you to select the colour of your grips and plugs separately. They say this results in almost 50 colour combinations, perfect for the matchy-matchy builders.

On first look the grips and plugs appear to be top notch but I’ll have to see how well they with stand up to some abuse on my wide tree bashing handlebars. A set of Luvhandles grips and plugs currently retail for R120.

Check out their online store for more details here.

Thule VeloCompact

Thule VeloCompact 1.jpg

The Thule VeloCompact comes in a two or three bike configuration. The VeloCompact is a relatively new addition to the line up having been released in 2015. It promises to be light weight and compact. The carrier attaches to a tow bar and has a tilt mechanism so that you can access a hatch type rear door.

Thule VeloCompact 2.jpg

The VeloCompact retails for R8,999 in the two bike configuration and R11,999 for the model that can carries three bikes.

Related posts

Comments

MarcBurger

Feb 19, 2016, 9:51 AM

The Luvhandle white grip name "Dirty White Grips".

Win

GLuvsMtb

Feb 19, 2016, 9:52 AM

Has anyone successfully transported 3 mountain bikes on that Thule rack? I love their products, but wish that the spacing between the bikes was just 2cm wider to make it a bit easier to actually get 3 bikes on a 3 bike bike carrier.

rock

Feb 19, 2016, 9:56 AM

always thought we were paying too much for silicon grips.

kudos to luvhandles 

Meezo

Feb 19, 2016, 10:00 AM

you could get silicon grips from alixpress/alibaba for $0.99 however minimum order quantity is something like 1000, but at R20 for a pair, if you got a capital its well worth it

Pieterlab1

Feb 19, 2016, 10:11 AM

Has anyone successfully transported 3 mountain bikes on that Thule rack? I love their products, but wish that the spacing between the bikes was just 2cm wider to make it a bit easier to actually get 3 bikes on a 3 bike bike carrier.

Yes, I have one and I don't have a problem transporting 3 bikes at all. The trick is to correctly space the Thule arms so that the bikes don't touch. If that doesn't do the trick, the sell spacers to keep the bikes away from each other, but I haven't had a need for those.

Meezo

Feb 19, 2016, 10:16 AM

you could get silicon grips from alixpress/alibaba for $0.99 however minimum order quantity is something like 1000, but at R20 for a pair, if you got a capital its well worth it

sorry, take nothing away from luvhandles, actually planning on ordering me a set or 2 or 3!

it was a statement to backup the fact that grips are so flippen expensive!

rock

Feb 19, 2016, 10:32 AM

mixing and matching grips and end caps is a nice touch, haven seen that before,

black and orange would be my choice.

http://luvhandles.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/black-orange.jpg

raptor-22

Feb 19, 2016, 10:41 AM

Loving lapierre bikes geometry options across all bikes

Fisan

Feb 19, 2016, 10:44 AM

I'd love to get my hands on a pair of luvhandles (sorry). I do hope they are better than the cheap variant offered by Ryder...

raptor-22

Feb 19, 2016, 10:51 AM

Ryder is does not have a high percentage of silicone rubber, in fact I think it's only an outer coating and not a silicone rubber extrusion

banna

Feb 19, 2016, 11:23 AM

Erm... that Lapierre is certainly not er....subtle....

Hairy

Feb 19, 2016, 1:20 PM

Erm... that Lapierre is certainly not er....subtle....

I find it rather intriguing

Luvhandles

Feb 19, 2016, 1:44 PM

I'd love to get my hands on a pair of luvhandles (sorry). I do hope they are better than the cheap variant offered by Ryder...

Hi Koei, our grips provides the perfect combination between comfort and grip! Unlike some of the other brands which lack the needed density for a comfortable grip . Go over to our site if you're looking for more details www.luvhandles.co.za

Matchstix

Feb 19, 2016, 1:53 PM

Where are you guys based Luvhandles

Meezo

Feb 19, 2016, 1:59 PM

on the handlebars :ph34r: :whistling:

JXV

Feb 19, 2016, 2:00 PM

Loving lapierre bikes geometry options across all bikes

Innovative. Can't help feeling that whole frame would be miles stiffer if they just extended the divot in the seat tube to brace against the down tube....and mount the bottle holder on top.
Hairy

Feb 19, 2016, 2:05 PM

on the handlebars :ph34r: :whistling:

not on the hips .....

Luvhandles

Feb 19, 2016, 2:21 PM

Hi Matchstix, our main distribution centre is based in Cape Town and we are in the process of setting up other channels throughout SA. Saying that.. we ship anywhere in SA door to door for R35!

Matchstix

Feb 19, 2016, 2:27 PM

Do you allow pick up as as option?

NickGM

Feb 19, 2016, 2:39 PM

Wow - that suspension arrangement on the lapierre...not sexy at all. 

cadenceblur

Feb 19, 2016, 7:01 PM

Takes three mountain bikes, but it's not light! Awesome rack though.

Will look into the spacers, first I hear of them, any idea if cost?

raptor-22

Feb 19, 2016, 7:44 PM

Innovative. Can't help feeling that whole frame would be miles stiffer if they just extended the divot in the seat tube to brace against the down tube....and mount the bottle holder on top.

Wouldn't be able to comment till I have slung my legs over one

Wimpieva

Feb 19, 2016, 8:19 PM

I am fortunate enough to have the Lapierre XR 729 (2014, thanks Craig) and a Santa Cruz Tallboy 2C (2015).  Santie is a bit easier, because I lack the technical skills.  The Lapierre is the 1x10 for training and my PB on long climbs is on Lettie.  Took a while to get the setup sorted, but now I have a hard time to decide which lady to take for a ride.

CAAD4

Feb 19, 2016, 8:24 PM

That Lapierre is Hot! Loud and Proud!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment