Tech

First Look Friday: Niner JET 9, Kitted Wonder Ring, SRAM X1 drivetrain

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 17 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re featuring a Niner Jet 9, a Kitted chainring, and SRAM’s X1 drivetrain.

Niner Jet 9 Carbon

The Jet 9 Carbon is Niner’s cross-country offering featuring a carbon front triangle and an alloy rear. The seat post and handlebar are also carbon. We have the orange/ blaze yellow colour way in for testing, there is also a more conservative black/ slate grey option for those seeking a little less attention.

Niner Jet 9 Carbon.jpg

The 2016 three star XT specification features a full M8000 XT groupset with the option of running it 1x or 2x. Notably, Niner have gone with the bold choice of fitting a Rock Shox Pike to the front. Our test model, however, is an interim build and features the previous generation of XT components and a Rock Shox Reba.

Features:

• Carbon full suspension front triangle with alloy rear triangle
  • 100MM of CVA suspension is efficient in every chainring
  • Compatible with 100-120MM Tapered Forks
  • Tuned for CVA – Rock Shox Monarch RT with Fast Black coating
  • Forged alloy suspension linkage and unique Niner hardware
  • 142x12MM rear spacing
  • PF30 bottom bracket
  • Extra small size with industry leading standover
  • Available in: Orange/Blaze Yellow or Black/Slate Grey

2016 Niner Jet 9 Carbon XT Specifications

• FrameJET 9 CARBON – Orange/Blaze Yellow and Black/Slate Grey
  • ForkROCKSHOX PIKE RC SOLO AIR 120MM, 110X15MM
  • WheelsNINER ALLOY, 110X15MM FRONT, 142 X 12MM REAR, NINER GRAPHIC
  • TiresMAXXIS IKON SC 2.35 F, 2.20 R
  • Brakes and RotorsSHIMANO XT M8000 ICE TECH PADS, 180/160MM RT86 ICE TECH ROTORS
  • Brake LeversSHIMANO XT M8000
  • Front DerailleurSHIMANO XT M8000 11SP (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Front ShifterSHIMANO XT M8000 2/3SP I-SPEC II (IF APPLICABLE)
  • Rear DerailleurSHIMANO XT M8000 GS 11SP SHADOW PLUS
  • Rear ShifterSHIMANO XT M8000 11SP I-SPEC II
  • CassetteSHIMANO XT M8000 11-42T
  • ChainSHIMANO XT HG-600 11SP
  • CranksetSHIMANO XT M8000 36/26T (32T 1X)
  • Bottom BracketSHIMANO XT MT80
  • SaddleNINER CUSTOM WITH CR-MO RAILS, NINER GRAPHIC
  • Seat postNINER CARBON SEAT POST, 400MM, NINER GRAPHIC
  • HandlebarNINER FLAT TOP CARBON, 710MM, NINER GRAPHIC
  • Stem NINER ALLOY STEM, NINER GRAPHIC
  • NinerNINER GRRRIPS L/O NYLON

Pricing

JET 9 Carbon XT 1x R59,109.30
JET 9 Carbon XT 2x R61,858.57
Frame only R27,221.03

From the Manufacturer:

The Jet 9 Carbon is the choice for cross country riders looking to topple their riding buddies on the local loop, aim for the podium on any given Sunday, or head out on an endless high country single track epic. It begs you to push harder and challenge your physical limits as you ride further and explore deeper on unridden trails.

When you find yourself lost exploring new trails or in the darkness of an oxygen-deprived state as you race yourself to the next trail intersection, the Jet 9 Carbon will deliver you with ease.

The new Jet 9 Carbon features the same full carbon front triangle, geometry, and beautiful lines that Niner riders have grown to love. It is now paired with an alloy rear triangle to bring the coveted ride quality of carbon to a greater base of riders. The newly revised frame offers an updated alloy rear triangle that takes advantage of 142x12mm rear wheel spacing and adds confidence to all riding conditions with the ability to run an externally routed dropper post.

Kitted Wonder Ring

Kitted Wonderring 1.jpg

South African company Kitted manufacture a number of products aimed to solve your drivetrain woes. Their retention chainrings currently cater for 104BCD and 94 BCD (SRAM 1x cranks), they also recently introduced a direct mount chainring for SRAM BB30 cranks with removable spiders. Kitted also offer a 42T cassette range extender.

Kitted Wonderring 2.jpg

We’ve been given a 32T Wonder Ring to bolt onto one of our test bikes. This chainring sells for R500 and is available through the Kitted website.

SRAM X1

SRAM X1 drivetrain rear mechanics.jpg

SRAM released their first 1 x 11 speed mountain bike drivetrain in 2012. Much to their own surprise, it was adopted by pros, amateurs and manufacturers alike. Following XX1 was the slightly toned down X01 range which was still on the expensive side.

Roll on another year and SRAM’s X1 was introduced in a bid to offer the same performance and reliability, but in an even cheaper package. It is still the same groupset, but it is now carved out of alloy rather than made from carbon and we no longer have the option of a Twist Grip shifter.

All of this means it weighs in at 1750g (vs 1525g for X01 and 1473g for XX1) which is still competitive thanks to the lack of front derailleur and shifter.

Recommend retail price: R13,500.00

SRAM X1 drivetrain.jpg

Features:

• Single ring, 11 speed drivetrain
  • 10 – 42 eleven speed cassette that uses a proprietary XD driver body
  • Eleven speed X1 X-Horizon rear derailleur with Cage Lock
  • Aluminium crank arms
  • 30, 32, 34, 36 or 38 tooth X-Sync chain rings in both direct or standard mount and 26, 28 and 40 tooth direct mount only
  • Eleven speed trigger shifter

Related posts

Comments

Odinson

Aug 21, 2015, 6:43 AM

Would it truly be a fair representation of the 2016 Niner Jet 9 if you guys are testing a bike that doesn't have the same spec as the actual model?

rpedro

Aug 21, 2015, 6:46 AM

Thats not MAXXIS IKON tires on that bike

Iwan Kemp

Aug 21, 2015, 6:50 AM

Yes. Geometry and suspension design stays unchanged. No different than us testing a bike with SRAM X1 and based on that a buyer decides to buy one, but opt for Shimano XT 11spd.

Only major difference will be the Pike on the 2016 vs the Reba that's fitted to the one on test. That's an easy enough fix as I have a Pike I can try on there, but would most likely opt to try it with a Revelation as it would make more sense to me.

Kitted

Aug 21, 2015, 6:51 AM

Thanks for the post guys, hope you have many happy miles testing our chainring!!

Iwan Kemp

Aug 21, 2015, 7:01 AM

Thats not MAXXIS IKON tires on that bike

1. No reason to shout. (Insert smiley face here)

2. Read the article again. The one we have on test has a different spec than the 2016 models on their way in.  

Monark

Aug 21, 2015, 7:18 AM

Iwan, if I am interested in a Niner where can I take a look at one and maybe even test ride one?

Nick

Aug 21, 2015, 7:21 AM

Iwan, if I am interested in a Niner where can I take a look at one and maybe even test ride one?

There should be contact details on the website here: http://niner.co.za/

Odinson

Aug 21, 2015, 7:34 AM

Yes. Geometry and suspension design stays unchanged. No different than us testing a bike with SRAM X1 and based on that a buyer decides to buy one, but opt for Shimano XT 11spd.

Only major difference will be the Pike on the 2016 vs the Reba that's fitted to the one on test. That's an easy enough fix as I have a Pike I can try on there, but would most likely opt to try it with a Revelation as it would make more sense to me.

Niner's international website lists the 2016 3 star build as having a Pike set at 140mm, but the SA websites lists the Pike as 120mm. Why the difference?

Nick

Aug 21, 2015, 7:40 AM

Niner's international website lists the 2016 3 star build as having a Pike set at 140mm, but the SA websites lists the Pike as 120mm. Why the difference?

Odd. Definitely says 120mm on my computer on this link: http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9carbon Not looking at the RIP 9?

Odinson

Aug 21, 2015, 7:48 AM

Odd. Definitely says 120mm on my computer on this link: http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9carbon Not looking at the RIP 9?

Oh, crap. Yes. My bad. 

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Aug 21, 2015, 7:53 AM

Seeing as it is Friday, can I be the first to say that it looks like a PYGA stage or vice versa???

Thats the cue for everybody to jump in and say how the suspension differs, etc, etc, etc......

Awesom bike btw!!! Would love to demo one.

Disylizzy

Aug 21, 2015, 8:28 AM

Jet 9 Carbon   :drool:

EDIT:  My boyfriend wanted to make sure I was specific on the model...

Iwan Kemp

Aug 21, 2015, 10:18 AM

Jet 9 Carbon   :drool:

EDIT:  My boyfriend wanted to make sure I was specific on the model...

He's a keeper!

Niner SA

Aug 21, 2015, 10:32 AM

He's a keeper!

Have to agree with that!

Niner SA

Aug 21, 2015, 10:32 AM

Congrats on the new name and thanks once again for the feature. Looking forward to the reviews.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 AM

He's a keeper!

She's just looking for some good Karma....

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 AM

On the niner - a really good price on the full bike!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment