Specialized level-up the Levo with new geometry, firmware and a haircut

Specialized have released the latest iteration of their do-it-all electric mountain bike, the Levo. The new Levo brings updated (and adjustable) frame geometry along with a new wheel size configuration of 29" up front and 27.5" in the rear - generally known as a "mullet bike". A new control unit to improve the ride experience with a raft software improvements, a new digital display, over-the-air updates and more. These, along with all-round improvements are said to make for a more natural ride feel, better range and control, and improved reliability in any conditions.

More details in the press release from Specialized below.

Press Release

A forty-year obsession with creating the best riding mountain bikes possible takes a bionic leap forward with the new Levo. It sets the standard for full power ride quality with stable, natural trail manners born from an integrated full carbon chassis development approach; fusing together 150mm of rear suspension, progressive geometry, sophisticated motor assist and the advanced MasterMind Turbo Control Unit to bring you a ride like no other.

Turbo Levo climb.jpg

Harness this technology and amplify your experience. More speed. More distance. More freedom. More trails ridden, more pure stoke generated, more unforgettable experiences... experienced. This is where the impossible becomes possible and you are riding better, stronger, farther, and faster than ever before. The new Levo; merging unprecedented power and range with natural, confident handling for an unbelievable ride. At the end of the day, that’s what matters most. The ride. Your ride. Believe it.

Levo_Hero_Natural_MG_2508.jpg

Ride Quality: Stable & Natural Ride

A Ride Beyond Belief

The new Levo is the distillation, application and amplification of everything we know about mountain biking; a potent blend of chassis, suspension, geometry and motor assist that adds up to an incredible trail riding experience. It is the liveliest, most nimble, full-power eMTB ever.

Turbo Levo Wet Forest.jpg

Mixed Wheels, Nimble Ride

We opted for a dedicated “Mullet” design with 27.5” wheel in the back and 29” up front. It’s a challenge to design a full-power electric assist mountain bike with lively handling because the motor takes valuable real estate that usually necessitates longer chainstays. The Levo’s smaller rear wheel allows for short chainstays; delivering a much more playful and nimble ride that carves circles around other full-power eMTBs.

Turbo Levo Mullet Mixed Wheels.png
Turbo Levo Jump.jpg

The Geometry Of Control

Levo’s geometry is totally revamped, with an emphasis on control and capability. The seat tube got steeper, which is great for climbing. The front end got longer, which centers you on the bike, optimizing traction and corner control. The headtube angle is more relaxed, and the fork offset is reduced to keep things stable in the rough and at speed. Additionally, the geometry is adjustable, so it can be tuned to match your style and the terrain you’re riding.

Specialized Turbo Levo Geometry sketch.png

Personalized Handling

Levo has six geometry settings allowing easy adjustment to match your style and hone performance in any terrain, from mellow fire roads to technical single-track. Choose between three headtube angles from 63 to 65.5-degrees. Bottom bracket height can fine tuned up or down by 7mm, thanks to the flip-chip located on the Horst pivot. Check out the geo finder tool for more details.

geo_adjust.jpeg

Turbo Levo adjustable chainstay.jpgBottom bracket height adjustment
Turbo Levo adjustable headset.jpgHead angle adjustment

Suspension

Levo’s 150mm rear travel/160mm (150 on S1 Size) front travel is dialed for anything; it’s supple on small bumps and devours square- edged hits without a twitch. It eats massive G-outs for breakfast, yet still offers amazing pedal response and delivers your power to the ground with total efficiency.

Turbo Levo Suspension.jpg

RxTune

Our trail obsessed team of engineers stay awake at night thinking of how to make suspension work better. For the Levo they developed specific suspension valving in consideration of the added power and speed that can be generated. They tailored every aspect of the suspension - kinematics, leverage curves, damping and spring rates - to work together in harmony, delivering a highly controlled, responsive and precise ride that handles bump forces like a bike with much more travel.

Turbo Levo Shock Action.jpg

Leverage Rate

Levo’s full-analog sibling, the Stumpjumper EVO, won multiple Trail Bike Of The Year awards. We borrowed the Stumpy EVO’s progressive leverage rate, but tailored it to 2.9 Levo travel, torque and power. The result is a suspension package that delivers small bump sensitivity, mid-stroke support and compliant but controlled full travel when stomping the big hits. The tuned leverage rate is matched by our proprietary Rx Tune shock valving, allowing the suspension to do what it needs to do so you can do what you want to do: shred.

Turbo Levo Leverage Curve.pngLeverage rate.
Turbo Levo Axle Path.pngAxle path.

Axle Path

Levo’s axle path moves rearward in the first third of travel, and then vertically in the mid-travel before arcing to a forward trajectory toward bottom out. To break this down, the rearward path in the first portion of travel allows the 110 wheel to “swing” back with the bump force, decreasing hangup and thereby helping to carry speed. As the bike moves deeper into its travel, where pedaling isn’t typical, the forward axle path disconnects chain forces from pedaling forces, yielding stellar big hit performance.

Power: 4X You Power

The Power To Bend Space And Time

Levo empowers you to choose where to ride, and when you want to do it. Only got an hour? No problem, you can still bust out your favourite long loop and get back with time to spare. Want to find out what’s beyond that ridge on the horizon of your biggest ride? Go for it. Levo fuels your newfound superpower. The integrated controller responds to your pedal inputs resulting in intuitive amplification of your efforts - as much as quadrupling the power you put into the pedals - with an incredibly natural feel. It’s our most powerful system, capable of supplying up to 565 Watts power and 90Nm torque. You control the power, feeding in as much or as little as you need to flatten the steepest climbs and cover previously inconceivable distances.

21_LevoG3_SW_2297.jpgSpecialized Turbo Levo SWORKS Carbon
21_LevoG3_Pro_2319.jpgSpecialized Turbo Levo Pro Carbon

Turbo Levo Ride More.jpg

The Power Of Trust

Levo’s Turbo Full Power motor delivers extremely quiet and reliable power. This is Full Power that can be trusted to take you deep into the wild and back, ride after ride.

Turbo Levo Wheelie.jpg

Turbo Levo Motor Expanded.png

• Custom tuned motor for optimal power and torque
  • Updated belt ensures long-term reliable power delivery
  • MasterMind firmware smoothly delivers power and reduces drivetrain wear
  • Triple seals at the plug and new hatch boosts weather resistance

Range: Go Big 5-Hour Range

Ride Anywhere Range

Levo shatters limitations when it comes to range, supporting you for up to five hours of trail time. Now you can ride farther and explore more than ever before. Smart Control ensures that you won’t run out of juice; it enables you to input the duration or distance of your ride and then manages support level to complete it with available battery charge.

Range like this is only possible by fully integrating our highest capacity Turbo Technology battery (700 Wh) with our Mastermind Turbo Control Unit to ensure maximum efficiency.

Turbo Levo jump.jpg

MasterMind TCU

MasterMind Turbo Control Unit (TCU) is essentially Levo’s “brain”. It is the hardware and software that controls how the motor, battery, bike and you interact. It allows real-time support tuning while riding and displays all relevant data about your bike and ride. MasterMind TCU also enables over-the-air updates so that your bike gets better over time. Finally, MasterMind seamlessly integrates with the Mission Control app for advanced tuning, on-trail diagnostics and more.

Turbo Levo MasterMind TCU display.jpg

The following is a rundown of the out-of- the-box functionality:

• Over-the-air updates ensure Levo gets better over time
  • MasterMind TCU displays remaining charge as an easy to read percentage
  • MicroTune feature allows on-the-fly adjustment of peak power and support levels in 10% increments, enabling easy equalization of effort to riding partners, increasing range by using only the power needed, conserving battery life and stretching out available ride time
  • Personalization of display arrangement (4 choices) and 30 possible data values
  • Clock
  • “Live Consumption” teaches you how to pedal efficiently by displaying real time miles (or kilometers) per watt-hour
  • Rider Power Value display allows you to see the power you’re putting into the bike
  • Heart rate pairing capability to take your training to the next level
  • Precision elevation tracking

The Dynamic Of Fit: S-Sizing

S-Sizing is based on what matters; rider size and style, not inseam. Six sizes, all with similar headtube lengths and standover, allow you to choose the size that best suits your individual style. Smaller S-Size numbers are going to be nimble, thanks to their shorter reach and front-centre measurement, while bigger S-Sizes deliver more stability and a roomier ride.

Specialized S-Sizing Measurements.png

Find Your S-Size

Determining your S-Size is easy. If you rode a Medium before, then S-3 will be your equivalent size. But... if you want a more flickable ride, you’d drop down to an S2. Want a bike that’s more stable at speed? Bump up to an S4. Following are examples of three riders, all 5’8” (1.73m), who chose three different sizes.

Specialized S-Sizing Guide.png

78 Comments

AllAboutRides, Mar 23 2021 07:46

BaGearA, Mar 23 2021 08:12

Big oef :D

gummibear, Mar 23 2021 09:16

Different wheel sizes means carrying 2 different tubes.

Grease_Monkey, Mar 23 2021 09:18

Different wheel sizes means carrying 2 different tubes.

Just carry a 27.5, fits in a 29" wheel. I used to have bikes with different wheel sizes and didn't feel like swopping out the tube in my backpack every time. Luckily tubes stretch.

splat, Mar 23 2021 09:19

Kenevo Prime 

63131909.jpg

Kom, Mar 23 2021 09:47

Nice to see a 700wh battery in the 22kg package, but realise that’s the s-works model time will tell how reliable these bikes are compared to the old Levo (brose 2.1) motors. Going full enduro geometry was only a matter of time.

ChrisF, Mar 24 2021 12:06

Nice to see a 700wh battery in the 22kg package, but realise that’s the s-works model time will tell how reliable these bikes are compared to the old Levo (brose 2.1) motors. Going full enduro geometry was only a matter of time.

500W.h in the base Levo models

R22k for a 700W.h ....

copperhead, Mar 24 2021 02:51

Are they saying that you need a new bike because all the previous bikes they sold were no good? Different wheel sizes... next you gonna tell me that a 172.5 crank is better than a 175.

ChrisF, Mar 24 2021 05:22

Are they saying that you need a new bike because all the previous bikes they sold were no good? Different wheel sizes... next you gonna tell me that a 172.5 crank is better than a 175.

Mr Copperhead

We regret to inform you that your application for a position in our marketing department has been unsucesful.

Yours in two wheels.

Chadvdw67, Mar 24 2021 05:48

The mullet setup is only from the Turbo Levo Pro and up, the Turbo Levo Expert and below is 29" front and rear 🤔

sirmoun10goat, Mar 24 2021 07:39

Get it right  - when you buy the bike there is a questionaire that asks when cycling bike parks, do you normally lap clockwise or counter clockwise. So if most of your trails are clcokwise, you get a 172.5 on the right and a 175 on the left.

They spec for an intended purpose

NickGM, Mar 24 2021 10:07

For me the only good thing about bikes like this is that they help to drive the tech forward and hopefully that spills over into the commuter market which will get more people riding to work/shops/etc instead of going in their cars. Other than that it's a toy for the rich who will use the grid to charge up a battery for recreational purposes to do something they their legs can do anyway, and then complain when the power goes off twice a day. Maybe I should do some yoga and drink less coffee but that's just how I feel. 

But credit where it's due - Specialized do make some good looking ebikes. 

Matt, Mar 24 2021 10:14

The mullet setup is only from the Turbo Levo Pro and up, the Turbo Levo Expert and below is 29" front and rear

Anything below the Pro on their site will be the Gen 2 Levo so will have 29" front and rear. For now the Gen 3 is only available in SWORKS and Pro spec.

Matt, Mar 24 2021 10:16

I'm assuming this was tongue in cheek, but just to ensure we're not a fake news source here is the MSRP per their website:

Levo Gen 3 Sworks: R240k
Levo Gen 3 Pro: R195k

Muttley, Mar 24 2021 10:31

I'm assuming this was tongue in cheek, but just to ensure we're not a fake news source here is the MSRP per their website:

:eek:

Matt, Mar 24 2021 10:45

We had the opportunity to join a video launch with their engineering and marketing teams & other media. The motor reliability/durability was a something that they spent some time on - the belt in particular. They tested a number of new options and materials and seemed pretty satisfied it was a big improvement, but as you say... time will tell.

They did mention that the new 2.2 motor tune will be "retrofittable" to the 2.1 motors. So even some Gen 2 owners will benefit from the software/firmware improvements for this bike. 

Other small touches were things like the waterproofing of the motor and electrical components. Although according to them the Gen 2 was already best in class here, the Gen 3 is significantly better in this regard.

Mike Mac, Mar 24 2021 11:07

I had a look at the bike this morning. Visually not a hell of a lot of difference from Gen 2.

From the guys who have ridden it, apparently quite a bit of a difference in ride characteristics, due mainly to 27.5 on back and some geometry changes.

Motor also seems a lot quieter, possibly due to change in belt.

copperhead, Mar 24 2021 11:10

Oh my lord. 240K.
The problem is they are probably not even going to have enough stock. While I am all for spending your own money on whatever you want, I would love to know how they got to that figure. That is decent car money.
Off to buy lotto tickets. Get my XL ready please.

J Wakefield, Mar 24 2021 11:37

Poor okes who dropped 200k 2 weeks ago to come back from a ride and find out their bike is outdated

Thug, Mar 24 2021 11:41

For that price, I'd rather have a proper engine between my legs!

marko35s, Mar 24 2021 11:55

Thanks for clarifying Matt, there was a moment there where I thought the bike might be a bit pricey...

Headshot, Mar 24 2021 12:43

Ah that's much better, sign me up for one of each. (Place the order please, just need to sell my house first so payment may be delayed a bit) 

Headshot, Mar 24 2021 12:50

For that price, I'd rather have a proper engine between my legs!

240k and you could get a decent adventure bike and a performance street bike with low km. 

Pieterlab1, Mar 24 2021 12:56

Only R240k?

copperhead, Mar 24 2021 01:20

Only R240k?

Do you think that comea with a free tubeless conversion 🤷‍♂️🤑🤣