Tech

SRAM bring AXS wireless ecosystem to GX Eagle drivetrain

· By Press Office · 146 comments

SRAM GX Eagle is getting the AXS treatment which brings the simplicity of wireless to the brand’s popular GX Eagle lineup. Get the details in the press release and video from SRAM below.

Press Release

ccs-62657-0-28875000-1616509393.jpg

With proven AXS wireless technology, and the rugged durability of GX, it’s Eagle at its best. Featuring an expanded 520% range, seamless compatibility with the rest of the ecosystem, and the ability to customize with the AXS app, GX Eagle AXS is your entry point to the future.

Video: Meet the range

GX Eagle AXS Derailleur

ccs-62657-0-43802600-1616509412.jpg

Riders want a derailleur that shifts on command, whether under climbing load or sprinting to the stage finish. The GX Eagle AXS derailleur gets it done with everything you have come to expect from our AXS connect components. The GX Eagle AXS derailleur is smart enough to protect itself thanks to its incredibly resilient Overload Clutch. Engineered with a variety of rider preferences in mind, it is compatible with our new expanded range 10-52T cassette as well as our 10-50T cassette. Showcasing its lineage from the proven GX Eagle mechanical line, the GX Eagle AXS derailleur is there for one thing—to do the job.

• AXS enabled componentry software that makes it possible to both program and personalize new SRAM and RockShox components with Eagle technology
  • Overload Clutch protection
  • Finished with the GX Eagle colourway
  • Battery sold separately

GX Eagle AXS Controller

ccs-62657-0-12105000-1616510019.jpg

Simplicity and performance made for all day adventures. The pure shifting performance of Eagle AXS is now available with GX. Shift under load, over the roughest terrain, uphill, without changing your grip on the bar. GX Eagle AXS changes your level of control on the bike when you’re under pressure and pushing hard. More than that, it changes your relationship with the bike. No cable, housing or wires to manage opened up design and engineering possibilities with the GX Eagle AXS controller. Featuring the proven ergonomic touchpoints that make shifting effortless, they are customizable to your preferences, allowing you to choose which button does what through the AXS App.

• Compatible with MatchMaker X
  • Eagle technology
  • Customize in-board and outboard shift options
  • Pairs with all derailleurs in the Eagle AXS ecosystem
  • AXS enabled componentry software that makes it possible to both program and personalize new SRAM and RockShox components
  • System is completely water and dust proof to IP69K

GX AXS Upgrade Kit

ccs-62657-0-26640500-1616509474.jpg

The day in, day out Eagle ecosystem hero is now available with AXS. New for 2021, The GX AXS upgrade kit is your entry point into wireless drivetrain simplicity. Compatible with any of our Eagle ecosystem cassettes and crank arms, the upgrade kit allows you to experience AXS without needing to buy an entire groupset provided you already are using Eagle products. No matter if you are looking to upgrade your ride, or looking for great value replacement parts, look no further than the GX AXS upgrade kit.

AXS Battery Cover

The AXS battery cover is a light-weight cowling designed to protect the battery while installed on the derailleur. The AXS battery cover fits all AXS mountain bike derailleurs.

ccs-62657-0-56921700-1616509488.jpg

ccs-62657-0-50829300-1616510122.png

Questions and Answers

When can I buy it in South Africa?
From March 26, 2021 selected shops around the country will have it in stock.

How do you pronounce the AXS portion of the groupset name?
AXS is pronounced the same as the word, “access.”

What are the main benefits and key features of GX Eagle AXS?

• Wireless electronic shifting with engineered hardware for a new ergonomic experience based on touching a button rather than pushing a lever.
  • Faster, more consistent shifts. Letting you shift when you want, under load, without ever having to plan around terrain.
  • Gathering useful data, telling you how many shifts have been made, how frequently each cog is being used, helping you make smarter choices on chainring size, and more.
  • Eagle is a complete drivetrain system that was developed to be an integrated high-performance ecosystem. The engineering and testing that went into the development provide for maximum performance, safety, and long-term durability to ensure a great consumer ride experience. We guarantee this performance when Eagle drivetrains are used as a complete ecosystem.

ccs-62657-0-89184900-1616509370.jpg

What is included in the GX Eagle AXS upgrade kit?
Derailleur, Controller, MatchMaker, Charger/cord, SRAM Battery, Battery cover, and a Chain gap tool.

When is SRAM GX Eagle AXS available for retail aftermarket purchase?
We will begin providing product to the market on March 26, 2021.

Are there different colour variants available?
GX Eagle AXS will be available in GX’s lunar colourway.

Can I fit SRAM GX Eagle AXS to any mountain bike and what are the compatibility requirements for GX Eagle AXS?
All current bikes and frames compatible with Eagle today will be compatible with GX Eagle AXS. GX Eagle AXS requires an XD driver body for cassette installation, just like the majority of our current 1x drivetrains. GX Eagle AXS cranksets use SRAM DUB bottom brackets, compatible with almost all current BB standards.

How does SRAM GX Eagle AXS connect and integrate with other wireless components that SRAM makes?
All AXS components can connect to one another using our proprietary encrypted wireless network. The AXS mobile app is used for personalization of the component controls and to serve as a single access point for all SRAM AXS connected products. Additional connectivity included with AXS is ANT+ and Bluetooth.

Does SRAM GX Eagle AXS have smartphone connectivity?
AXS components have Bluetooth connectivity through the SRAM AXS app. If there is a firmware update, it can be handled through the app. There is no dongle.

ccs-62657-0-04213000-1616509956.jpg

What prevents an AXS groupset on one bike from wirelessly interacting or interfering with an AXS groupset on another bike?
SRAM AXS uses a fully encrypted, secure and proprietary SRAM wireless protocol that has been proven in the real world in our road drivetrain applications and more recently on the World Cup circuit.

Is SRAM AXS waterproof?
The GX Eagle AXS system is completely water and dust proof to the IP69K international standard. Initially developed for construction vehicles and food sanitization, the IP69K standard validates systems that require regular pressurized cleaning. For a mountain biker, it means no hesitation to head out when the weather looks less than ideal. When washing AXS components be sure to avoid high pressure washing, like other components on a bicycle there are many moving parts with lubrications that can be washed away with aggressive washing techniques.

Are RED eTap AXS shift levers compatible with GX Eagle AXS rear derailleurs?
Yes. All AXS components can connect to one another. You can use SRAM RED eTap AXS shift levers to build a drop bar bike with an GX Eagle AXS drivetrain. The GX Eagle AXS drivetrain is also compatible with the road BlipBox and control buttons.

What chainring size options do you offer with SRAM GX Eagle AXS Groupsets?
Aftermarket complete group sets will come equipped with a 32T chainring on GX Eagle AXS. Aftermarket Eagle chainrings will be available in 30T, 32T, 34T, 36T, 38T.

What cassette size ranges do you offer for GX Eagle AXS?
SRAM GX Eagle AXS uses the X-DOME Eagle cassette with a 10-50T or 10-52T.

Is there a cassette available with an 11-tooth start so I don’t have to change the driver on my rear wheel to XD?
SRAM offers a PG-1230 Eagle cassette which utilizes the HG splined driver body interface. This is compatible with all of our Eagle drivetrain parts as part of the Eagle ecosystem. However, for optimum performance the XG-1275 cassette is used in the GX Eagle AXS offering.

Will a new RED AXS road chain work on a SRAM Eagle drivetrain?
No. SRAM EAGLE chains and SRAM RED AXS chains have different dimensions and are not cross compatible. The derailleur, Cassette and chain should always “match”. When using an Eagle cassette or derailleur, use a matching Eagle chain. When using a SRAM RED cassette and derailleur, use a RED chain.

Are SRAM GX Eagle AXS PowerLocks different from SRAM RED eTap AXS 12-speed PowerLocks?
Yes they are. Eagle PowerLocks can be easily differentiated by the word “Eagle” stamped on the side.

What is the max cog size that is compatible with GX Eagle AXS rear derailleurs?
52T. GX Eagle AXS derailleurs are designed to be used with both Eagle 10-50T and 10-52T cassettes.

What is the Overload Clutch?
The GX Eagle AXS derailleur is smart enough to protect itself thanks to its incredibly resilient Overload Clutch. In the event of an impact, the motor gearbox disengages, giving the derailleur freedom to move, and instantly returns back to its position for a seamless experience for the rider. The primary purpose of the Overload Clutch is to protect the derailleur shift motor, but it serves to protect your derailleur and derailleur hanger from damage as a by-product. A very helpful by-product.

How robust is the GX Eagle AXS derailleur?
Several design features increase the robustness of the GX Eagle AXS derailleur. The gearbox and motor clutch, the shorter cage, more chain wrap, and more precise shift control all add to a more durable system. We also have extreme water and dust proof qualities built into all our AXS components.

Are 11-speed RED eTap derailleur batteries compatible with GX Eagle AXS and SRAM RED eTap AXS derailleurs?
Yes. Both groups use the same SRAM batteries.

Visit the SRAM website for further information.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Meezo

Mar 25, 2021, 2:03 PM

We are getting seriously close to the 1st of April. Let me be the fool, let's wait the price?

JA-Q001

Mar 25, 2021, 2:06 PM

Did I miss the price? 

None the less, my next upgrade!

Meezo

Mar 25, 2021, 2:07 PM

Did I miss the price?

None the less, my next upgrade!

Says pricing will be available after 26 March

wazriley

Mar 25, 2021, 2:22 PM

$600 for the upgrade kit so expect RRP of around R12k-R13k relative to R22-R23k for XX1

AndrewHemp

Mar 25, 2021, 3:42 PM

Looks like evobikes already have them in stock at R12995 
https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/gx-eagle-axs-upgrade-kit/

EVOBIKES ONLINE STORE

Mar 25, 2021, 3:58 PM

Looks like evobikes already have them in stock at R12995 

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/gx-eagle-axs-upgrade-kit/

Yip. And they are selling quickly - stock was limited to all dealers...

cadenceblur

Mar 25, 2021, 6:33 PM

I see CWC also have them for R12499

Mawbs

Mar 26, 2021, 6:17 AM

very nice but when is Sram going to do something about those Top gears 42-52 gap is just crazy 

Rock Guy

Mar 26, 2021, 6:39 AM

The classic overpriced SA retail market again. Rest of the world = $600, ...SA...$830....coz you know, (long list of excuses).

Jbr

Mar 26, 2021, 6:41 AM

I'm sick of my XTR 12 SPD, but now if I want to go for this groupset, I'll have to buy a new cassette, possibly also a freehub ?

I'm quite happy with my Force AXS, the worst component being the brakes imo. So why not AXS also on my MTB, that will probably solve my shifting issues on my scalpel that I love on all the other aspects (than the *** shifting)

So pretty much going from aluminium to steel saves 400$ ? They get their aluminium from space ??

Grease_Monkey

Mar 26, 2021, 6:43 AM

Ooh, definitely on my list of parts to buy. I won't be one of the first 250, but when that second shipment arrives I'll be on it like white on rice. 

Dexter-morgan

Mar 26, 2021, 6:59 AM

Hopefully, I can score a bargain with some used Mechanicals coming to the second hand market very soon.

Furbz

Mar 26, 2021, 7:01 AM

I'm sick of my XTR 12 SPD, but now if I want to go for this groupset, I'll have to buy a new cassette, possibly also a freehub ?

I'm quite happy with my Force AXS, the worst component being the brakes imo. So why not AXS also on my MTB, that will probably solve my shifting issues on my scalpel that I love on all the other aspects (than the *** shifting)

So pretty much going from aluminium to steel saves 400$ ? They get their aluminium from space ??

i ride my XX1 AXS with a XTR cassette no issues

Jbr

Mar 26, 2021, 7:14 AM

i ride my XX1 AXS with a XTR cassette no issues

oh yeah ? Interesting.. my XT Cassette is brand new, would be *** to have a spend 5 to 10k on a new GX/XX1 cassette

So I'm also assuming that my chainring will be compatible with and XX1 chain / GX derailer ?

Jehosefat

Mar 26, 2021, 7:24 AM

oh yeah ? Interesting.. my XT Cassette is brand new, would be *** to have a spend 5 to 10k on a new GX/XX1 cassette

So I'm also assuming that my chainring will be compatible with and XX1 chain / GX derailer ?

You should be able to just replace the shifter and derailleur. I'd keep a Shimano chain on the Shimano cassette though (although it's not strictly necessary it should provide better shift quality).

Jbr

Mar 26, 2021, 7:34 AM

You should be able to just replace the shifter and derailleur. I'd keep a Shimano chain on the Shimano cassette though (although it's not strictly necessary it should provide better shift quality).

of course, you're right, then it's all the same except for the two jockey wheels !

DieselnDust

Mar 26, 2021, 7:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xoIYdGspM

You can keep the microspline freehub and Shimano cassette and use it with the GX system no problem.

Most of the weight in the GX AXS rear derailleur is in the jockey pulley cage. You could probably replace this very stiff steel cage with the upcoming Csixx bling bling alloy SRAM jockey pulley cage and still have a saving over X01 or XX1 and xtr.

Functionally it's the same as it's more expensive family members with the added clutch bolt cover and battery protection cover which doesn't have to be fitted if you want to save a few grams.

It's very impressive. The shifter feels the same as the XX1 axs just a little heavier

Jbr

Mar 26, 2021, 7:58 AM

You can keep the microspline freehub and Shimano cassette and use it with the GX system no problem.

Most of the weight in the GX AXS rear derailleur is in the jockey pulley cage. You could probably replace this very stiff steel cage with the upcoming Csixx bling bling alloy SRAM jockey pulley cage and still have a saving over X01 or XX1 and xtr.

Functionally it's the same as it's more expensive family members with the added clutch bolt cover and battery protection cover which doesn't have to be fitted if you want to save a few grams.

It's very impressive. The shifter feels the same as the XX1 axs just a little heavier

Awesome, I'm sold, just need some cash now  :D  :lol:

PappaWatTrap

Mar 26, 2021, 8:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xoIYdGspM

This guy reckons that if you ride a shimano 12 speed cassette and chain combined with a axs setup you'll actually have better shifting.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/drivetrain/a-mismatch-made-in-heaven-xtr-axs/

Headshot

Mar 26, 2021, 9:11 AM

SRAM pricing is as usual insane. Basic brake pads are R150 more than Shimano... the list goes on. I know one shop owner who is gatvol. You can still get the stuff in from overseas if you are clever. That's what I would do.  

thisismyotherbike

Mar 26, 2021, 9:15 AM

This guy reckons that if you ride a shimano 12 speed cassette and chain combined with a axs setup you'll actually have better shifting.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/drivetrain/a-mismatch-made-in-heaven-xtr-axs/

Opportunity for Wolftooth to produce replacement jockey wheels for your AXS derailleur?  So you can run that Shimano 1x12 chain with confidence...

DieselnDust

Mar 26, 2021, 10:33 AM

Opportunity for Wolftooth to produce replacement jockey wheels for your AXS derailleur?  So you can run that Shimano 1x12 chain with confidence...

Csixx ad SRAM jockey pulley wheels don't seem to care what 12speed chain you run

madmarc

Mar 26, 2021, 11:35 AM

I will wait for my next Business trip to Germany - 9K for the same kit

Grease_Monkey

Mar 26, 2021, 12:06 PM

I will wait for my next Business trip to Germany - 9K for the same kit

Did a little quick maf this morning. I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong, if he buys it for me at current exchange rate and brings it along next time he flies to SA I am looking at 9k at most. Under normal circumstances that would be every two weeks, with Covid I don't know when though... hopefully soon.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment