Tech

Wahoo launches its most accurate KICKR smart trainer yet

Supplied by iKhambi Distribution.

· By Press Office · 26 comments

Wahoo, the leader in workout apps and connected fitness devices, is excited to reveal the newest KICKR smart trainer. The fifth-generation KICKR improves on the legendary realistic ride feel that Wahoo riders prize, and also offers riders a wide range of improvements to elevate every ride.

ccs-62657-0-12936000-1597133393.jpg

The new KICKR, the same smart trainer used by World Tour teams INEOS and BORAhansgrohe, brings to market several new features. This version of the category-leading KICKR refines power accuracy to +/-1% from +/-2% by using a proprietary auto-calibration process. This gives the new KICKR unsurpassed power accuracy without the need for users to perform a spin down, saving valuable time and providing riders confidence in the accuracy of their power data.

ccs-62657-0-31366500-1597133469.jpg
ccs-62657-0-93670000-1597133469.jpg

Additionally, to create a more natural, comfortable ride feel, the new KICKR also comes equipped with the new AXIS feet. These feet allow a bike installed onto the trainer to smoothly tilt up to 5 degrees from side-to-side with each pedal stroke in a controlled, realistic motion. Like the previous KICKR, this version is nearly silent which makes riding it feel more like riding outdoors.

ccs-62657-0-14264700-1597133411.jpg

With key updates that improve any indoor ride, our newest KICKR will deliver an elevated experience for all Wahooligans.

Without any need to calibrate, and improved accuracy, riders can be more confident than ever in power numbers, and with the new AXIS Feet providing subtle side-to-side motion, ride feel has never been more realistic.
Product Manager, Tyler Harris

ccs-62657-0-53204100-1597133423.jpg

Pricing and Compatibility

Despite adding in several new features, the new KICKR will maintain the same retail price of the previous generation R 24 999.

Wahoo also offers the only complete indoor riding ecosystem; KICKR is compatible with the KICKR CLIMB Indoor Grade Simulator, KICKR HEADWIND Smart Fan, and KICKR DESK. KICKR is also fully compatible with indoor workouts from Wahoo’s The Sufferfest virtual training app.

KICKR is Wahoo’s premium-level direct drive trainer and intended for athletes serious about indoor riding and racing. Other indoor training options from Wahoo include the KICKR BIKE smart bike (R 74 999), KICKR CORE wheel-off trainer (R 17 999), and the KICKR SNAP wheel on trainer (R 9 999).

The new Wahoo KICKR 5 is available now.

ccs-62657-0-94029700-1597143714.jpg

Related posts

Comments

mecheng89

Aug 11, 2020, 11:49 AM

Want. 

Paulst12

Aug 11, 2020, 12:06 PM

All those 4th generation Kickr's bought before lock down are about to flood the market!!

Muttley

Aug 11, 2020, 12:30 PM

DieselnDust

Aug 11, 2020, 12:38 PM

I'm confuded....

If Wahoo can bring out a new Kickr every 3 months why would i want to buy the 5th Gen unit when I can have the 8th Gen in March next year that will have AXIS+ feet with 3D axis adjustment, clmb 3D and Wnd4.0????

Christian van Zyl

Aug 11, 2020, 1:04 PM

I'm confuded....

If Wahoo can bring out a new Kickr every 3 months why would i want to buy the 5th Gen unit when I can have the 8th Gen in March next year that will have AXIS+ feet with 3D axis adjustment, clmb 3D and Wnd4.0????

Hey DieselnDust,

KICKR 1 was launched in 2013

KICKR 4 or KICKR '18 was launched in 20and '18

Time flies when you are having fun... 

Chris_

Aug 11, 2020, 1:11 PM

Hey DieselnDust,

Hey Christian, do you know if we'll be able to buy those new little feet separately?

DieselnDust

Aug 11, 2020, 1:16 PM

I'ms sure that just quietly introducing improvements would be better for product perception than making a dog and pony show over very minor revisions.

I would not have been aware of the quality control issues which now means I will be more vigilant if I buy one. I figured the Kickr is pretty bullet proof....now I'm not so sure

DieselnDust

Aug 11, 2020, 1:19 PM

Hey DieselnDust,

I guess! was it 7 years ago? I thought it was 2015.

Anyway keep up the good work. I'm just trying to understand the market strategy here.

PS: I hope that next years model does have a more built in rocker movement. I'm not a fan of huge rocker plates that takes up more real estate in the trainer room

Christian van Zyl

Aug 11, 2020, 1:45 PM

Hey Christian, do you know if we'll be able to buy those new little feet separately?

Hey Chris, 

Yes you will! 

We should have retrofit parts in the next 6 weeks. 

splat

Aug 11, 2020, 1:47 PM

All those 4th generation Kickr's bought before lock down are about to flood the market!!

4's still going for full retail in some places

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-40

Duane_Bosch

Aug 11, 2020, 2:25 PM

Hey Chris, 

Yes you will! 

If my friend had say an Elite Zumo would he be able to buy these retrofit feet?

bradwentzel

Aug 11, 2020, 2:45 PM

Hey Chris, 

Yes you will! 

Will these work on a Kickr Gen 1?

Muttley

Aug 11, 2020, 3:16 PM

Will these work on a Kickr Gen 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRfq16VC3g

See 4:30 - according DC Rainmaker they will 

DieselnDust

Aug 11, 2020, 3:20 PM

well thats a nice feature to design in backwards compatibility

Chris_

Aug 11, 2020, 3:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRfq16VC3g

See 4:30 - according DC Rainmaker they will 

After watching that I think I'm quite happy with carpet and yoga mat as the 'dampeners'.

Dunno. Less convinced.

Marsh00

Aug 11, 2020, 3:44 PM

well thats a nice feature to design in backwards compatibility

lol, like what are you ever going to hardwire to your smart trainer... nothing to see here folks... that's probably why it's not been hyped-up by any sort of marketing campaign. 

Rocket-Boy

Aug 11, 2020, 4:18 PM

So lets see, they improved the calibration through software, because calibration is a software function.

Then they put new feet on it.

Now they are calling it a "new" trainer.

Yeah naa mate that is marketing cool-aid if ever I have seen it.

Muttley

Aug 11, 2020, 6:57 PM

lol, like what are you ever going to hardwire to your smart trainer... nothing to see here folks... that's probably why it's not been hyped-up by any sort of marketing campaign. 

Tech nerd here: If I could hardwire my trainer via ethernet, I would do it!

Veebee

Aug 12, 2020, 4:41 AM

So lets see, they improved the calibration through software, because calibration is a software function.

Then they put new feet on it.

Now they are calling it a "new" trainer.

Yeah naa mate that is marketing cool-aid if ever I have seen it.

It's the same price as the old one, so for those looking to buy now they get a few "extras" at no cost.

madmarc

Aug 12, 2020, 6:08 AM

Here's hoping the new Gen5 has all the quality issues fixed, so no need to get it replaced 3 or 4 times.

I wonder which generation will have the option for a proper Campy freehub that works ?

Rocket-Boy

Aug 12, 2020, 6:20 AM

It's the same price as the old one, so for those looking to buy now they get a few "extras" at no cost.

Its great for new buyers, I just think its hardly worth calling it a new model and the creating the hype to get people to upgrade.

ChUkKy

Aug 12, 2020, 6:38 AM

Its great for new buyers, I just think its hardly worth calling it a new model and the creating the hype to get people to upgrade.

Them marketing folk need to keep / justify their jobs....

Veebee

Aug 12, 2020, 6:39 AM

"Facelift"

Thing is, those who have the money and are always wanting the latest and best will happily drop the cash on it, thats how businesses stay alive. Marketing Hype.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment