3x10 to 1x10 Merida Big Nine HT conversion on a budget

gemmerbal

So I’ve been riding my Merida for a couple of years now, Big Nine. Cassette needed replacing so i decided to try a budget 1x10 conversion as money is tight and i cant afford what i’d really like (any of the 96 DS models). I noticed my xt deore derrailleur was also shot once i started with the build, so that had to be replaced as well.

Sunrace 11-46 10spd cassette from Evobikes = R795

Rapide derrailleur extender = R189

XT Deore derrailleur from Bike Addict = R595

Kmc chain from Evobikes = R400

Rapide 34 oval chainring = R595

SLX hollowtech crank from a fellow hubber and my riding partner (thanks TDFN aka DickieDQ!) =R0

Total = R2574

All in all it goes pretty awesome. Yet to test the limit of my pedaling power with the new granny ratio, but on paper it should just be ok. We will see at the K2C.

99fbdef2ceff3a717d3d5871e6d1e32e.jpg3e99dc3d1fd4ee31482ee3f21f9f3585.jpg9eb1696e76a8a8584a3d0f2564434758.jpg79ac016f28bf53e43ea65fce1e0f77dc.jpg

Edited by gemmerbal

• 2 weeks later...

I've also changed mine from 3x10 to 1x10 and I really enjoy the simplicity about it. Works well, less to think about when changing gears.

But of my whole bike, it's only the frame, seatpost and brakes that is still original. I've swopped/changed out everything else.

I put the new 32T chainring and 11-46 cassette on last night and hit a 40km ride this morning...
Works fine....I did use one of those Rapide RD extension pieces and didn't really have any issues setting up other than a bit of slippage on the big ring when going up a fair climb this morning...just played with the barrel adjuster a bit on the ride and all seems fine...touch wood!

I was hoping the 46T would make climbing a bit easier from the 36T I had but to be honest I suppose nothing short of a motor makes hills easier....! Feels the same.... It was a help going slow over rocks and messing about though.

Merida big 9 10 Speed

Im running a Rapide 30 Tooth in front and a 11-36 @ the Back.

Perfect 4 Me.

Every 5000 Km I change the chain and the Rapide 30 Tooth.

Cost was less than 1 K for Chainring and Chain.

Did my first BIG ride today, 90km 1700m elevation. I’ll tell you it was a tough ride, but i cannot fault the bike or the setup. The 34 oval worked well with the 46 at the back. If it wasn't for my recent dip in training it would have been a non-issue. Traction with the oval seems a bit better, topend is acceptable sitting slip with the other guys going through Stellenbosch.

I still have lots of original parts on my bike. The Suntour coil fork and the stock Jelco Merida rims are 2 things id like to upgrade but finding a straight steerer fork for an acceptable price is a big challenge. Im hoping to get a set of the Rapide rims at some point. My stock brakes are still working very well. Upgraded my handlebar to a 780mm about a year ago.

Other than the rims and fork, I'm happy riding my old faithful hardtail. No issues with back aches on long rides, did k2c last year and no problem. I do suffer from numb hands on longish rides, but the position on the bike is actually very comfortable so i live with it. Until i can find a solution that doesn't mean changing to a more upright riding position.

Ja look, setting up the shifting will take a bit of finesse. Im still fiddling. The only real pain is that the chain drops down the cassette when backpedaling, like when you've stopped and want to get back on and spin the crank back trying to find a suitable pedal position. But I've read this is a known issue, so ill just not stop on an incline hahaha.

Glad you got it sorted! The rapide hanger extender is a real bargain and far cheaper than the Wolftooth version!

I put the new 32T chainring and 11-46 cassette on last night and hit a 40km ride this morning...

Works fine....I did use one of those Rapide RD extension pieces and didn't really have any issues setting up other than a bit of slippage on the big ring when going up a fair climb this morning...just played with the barrel adjuster a bit on the ride and all seems fine...touch wood!

I was hoping the 46T would make climbing a bit easier from the 36T I had but to be honest I suppose nothing short of a motor makes hills easier....! Feels the same.... It was a help going slow over rocks and messing about though.

A 30/36 granny ratio is quite strong, i tip my hat to you!

Don't you find the top-end slightly low? When we grind we sit at 35kmh and i almost spin out with the 34/11.

Merida big 9 10 Speed

Im running a Rapide 30 Tooth in front and a 11-36 @ the Back.

Perfect 4 Me.

Every 5000 Km I change the chain and the Rapide 30 Tooth.

Cost was less than 1 K for Chainring and Chain.

A 30/36 granny ratio is quite strong, i tip my hat to you!

Don't you find the top-end slightly low? When we grind we sit at 35kmh and i almost spin out with the 34/11.

I never ride faster than 30 Km/hr, Pensioner Riding almost every day and on a budget (LOL).

Ja look, setting up the shifting will take a bit of finesse. Im still fiddling. The only real pain is that the chain drops down the cassette when backpedaling, like when you've stopped and want to get back on and spin the crank back trying to find a suitable pedal position. But I've read this is a known issue, so ill just not stop on an incline hahaha.

Glad you got it sorted! The rapide hanger extender is a real bargain and far cheaper than the Wolftooth version!

Have to try this

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-chainring-spacers/

Improves Chainline by 2 mm.

I had a issue with the chain being dropped when back pedaling on my initial 1x10 build. I removed one of the spacers on the drive side of the BB and that seemed to solve it, no issues with the 11-36 cassette or the 11-46 cassette I currently have...

Cool, i’ll move the spacer to the non drive side then. Awesome stuff, thanks!

I had a issue with the chain being dropped when back pedaling on my initial 1x10 build. I removed one of the spacers on the drive side of the BB and that seemed to solve it, no issues with the 11-36 cassette or the 11-46 cassette I currently have...

Cool man, share your project!

Cool thread. Ive got a 5 year old scott aspect that is still 3x10, and this showed me I can really keep up with the trend by doing a conversion.

post-64325-0-65144700-1557242509_thumb.jpeg

yup...chainline is perfect for 1x10 with the spacers on the drive side. On 11spd (wifes bike) i've also found it better to remove one for better chain line when running an exteralBB. Your chain needs to be dead straight at centre casette around gear 5/6 then you wont have backpedal chain drop issues.

I also still ride 1x10 32-36. I'll be honest... there are some dayson some climbs I find myself reaching for a another gear justto find i've run out...but then when you realise you don't have anymore , you  just need to get on with it and pedal harder because the floor is lava...so no stopping lol.  I've gone up the Dorsberg Climb at Meerendal with 32/36 on a 29'er. its hard work sure....but im going upfaster than the guy in 50T i reckon :whistling:  :P  

holy hell, 32/36, that's some serious legs!

I stuck the spacer in on the drive side purely by chance. I only needed to use 1x2mm to make up the play on the crank arm when I bolted it onto the crank. I think I'll just move the spacer to the non-drive side then. The alignment as it is at the moment is actually fine, lines up with 5th gear, but I reckon the point is to get it slightly more on the bigger side of the cassette because of the bigger granny gear.

yup...chainline is perfect for 1x10 with the spacers on the drive side. On 11spd (wifes bike) i've also found it better to remove one for better chain line when running an exteralBB. Your chain needs to be dead straight at centre casette around gear 5/6 then you wont have backpedal chain drop issues.

I also still ride 1x10 32-36. I'll be honest... there are some dayson some climbs I find myself reaching for a another gear justto find i've run out...but then when you realise you don't have anymore , you  just need to get on with it and pedal harder because the floor is lava...so no stopping lol.  I've gone up the Dorsberg Climb at Meerendal with 32/36 on a 29'er. its hard work sure....but im going upfaster than the guy in 50T i reckon :whistling:  :P