Tour de France 2019

gummibear

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's Monday so I might as well dig up an old bone

Every single country's stats/wins are questionable.  We celebrate Eddy but he was bust so many times.  Some of the early French winners stopped for beers, others got lifts, not legal by modern standards.  The Italians and the rest were all part of the problem our sport has had.  One might suggest that cheating is part of the tradition.  Not condoning it by any means

USA 10 (Floyd was caught too close to his victory)

kaboom!

yes, but it wasn't illegal then. It is now

I just read that Michael Woods is the first person in history to have done a sub 4 mile and completed the Tour de France.

Yeah he comes from a running background and holds a few Canadian records.

He had to stop running due to stress fractures in his feet and got into cycling [emoji106]

Just absolutely loved this year's race. It was fantastic to watch/follow especially with the unpredictable changes that happened almost daily. I wouldn't be too surprised if this gets remembered as Julian Alaphillipe's tour even though he did win or podium in the end. He animated the race in grand style and it was entirely enjoyable to watch.

Hell even Ineos's struggle to ride and race to their own proven ability, albeit as Sky, was good fun too.

Absolutely enjoyed the Eurosport coverage via Tiz Cycling. Love the sense of camaraderie they have with each other.

it's Monday so I might as well dig up an old bone

Every single country's stats/wins are questionable.  We celebrate Eddy but he was bust so many times.  Some of the early French winners stopped for beers, others got lifts, not legal by modern standards.  The Italians and the rest were all part of the problem our sport has had.  One might suggest that cheating is part of the tradition.  Not condoning it by any means

USA 10 (Floyd was caught too close to his victory)

kaboom!

On eside of me says, "yes you're 100% right!"

the other side says "well it was accepted practice and riders when caught received minimum sanction and some coaching on how to administer the drugs correctly.

Even up until the mid 90's it wasn;t a big deal until the Festina Affair happened. then the UCI, and ASO had egg on their faces because he Festina team turned a bit of mild under the tle doping into a pharmaceutical war.

then along comes US Postal and makes a mockery of all of that.

So even though I think its unfair to make distinction between the different era's, when you use stuff that is outright banned and lie about it, build an entire industry on lies, then when you get found out the dogs are going to have their meal.......and they did.

All's fair on love and war they say.

Pharmstron is still the greatest LeTour rider ever - he doped against dopers.

Was his treatment as a doper unfair? Probably,

But those are the rules and the sanction for being a P03$.

He seems to have changed and that's a good thing so forgiveness on a personal level in given - i listen to his podcast, its one of the most informative. But the sport shouldn't celebrate his victories. What should be celebrated is his resilience to his love of cycling and still be successful within it. He is a shining example of how not to do it but also how to have a life after cycling that contributes to cycling.

bye gones be bye gones

On eside of me says, "yes you're 100% right!"

the other side says "well it was accepted practice and riders when caught received minimum sanction and some coaching on how to administer the drugs correctly.

Even up until the mid 90's it wasn;t a big deal until the Festina Affair happened. then the UCI, and ASO had egg on their faces because he Festina team turned a bit of mild under the tle doping into a pharmaceutical war.

then along comes US Postal and makes a mockery of all of that.

So even though I think its unfair to make distinction between the different era's, when you use stuff that is outright banned and lie about it, build an entire industry on lies, then when you get found out the dogs are going to have their meal.......and they did.

All's fair on love and war they say.

Pharmstron is still the greatest LeTour rider ever - he doped against dopers.

Was his treatment as a doper unfair? Probably,

But those are the rules and the sanction for being a P03$.

He seems to have changed and that's a good thing so forgiveness on a personal level in given - i listen to his podcast, its one of the most informative. But the sport shouldn't celebrate his victories. What should be celebrated is his resilience to his love of cycling and still be successful within it. He is a shining example of how not to do it but also how to have a life after cycling that contributes to cycling.

bye gones be bye gones

I agree 100 percent and I don't condone his actions and denials.  But I just find the hyprocrisy of his 7 titles being taken away a bit rich.  I know it had to be done to save face but we all know who crossed the line first and we all have a serious degree of confidence that everyone behind him dabbled in various forms of cheating.

Lance 3.0 as George Hincapie calls him seems more mellow and I like the fact that he still loves riding his bike.

I ride or at least got back into it because of LA so I'm forever grateful  

post-81229-0-60474800-1564412461_thumb.jpg

Suspensions were given.. but they were only 1 month long.

or relegated to the back of the peleton... hardly counts, wouldn't you say...

FWIW, The Cycling Podcast did a very interesting special on LA in Kilometre 0... if you've not listened, you should

Was just thinking today that no positive test results have surfaced since the tour finished ....

And feels 100% British.. sorry fellas you can't claim him as a Saffa.

Unlike Kevin Pietersen who is on record telling a team mate "I'm not English. I just F@(#en work here"