OFFICIAL MODDERFONTEIN MTB TRAIL ANNOUNCEMENT

RickyTomCCMA

Heartland Property Leasing, Trail Flow Sports and myself are happy to announce a new trail system situated in the heart of JHB. Not more than 5km as the crow flies from Sandton, has our team managed to design and create a haven for mountain bikers, trail runners and walkers.

We have spent countless hours cutting and implementing trails which can be utilised by regular enthusiasts as well as the novice and beginner. The trails are a combination of jeep track, single track and technical rocky sections. Although we have spent days cutting trails, we have not even scraped the tip of the iceberg, and users can be sure that every month a new and exciting addition shall be added to the route.

We did not want to open the trails until we were satisfied that we could offer the users a decent route with the minimum expected single track. We will be opening a new section end of May which will have some North Shore riding as well as a tight forrest section, which will both be for the experienced rider only.

The trails are situated within a security fence which is patrolled 24 hours a day, however this is not an invitation for users to ride alone. In all cases please ride in groups and watch out for unsuspecting characters. Any suspicious activities are to be reported to either myself or the security guards on patrol, for immediate reaction and rectification.

The trails will be open from Saturday 21 April 2011 at 06h30 please be sure to be out of the Reserve by 17h30. The Park will be open on weekends only for the time being, but in the summer months it will be open for pre-work and early morning rides.

Please see the attached documents for further information and House Rules.

Directions:

Travelling along the N3 Take the London Road off-ramp, at the traffic lights cross over London road, and continue along Peace street. Turn left into valley road, at fork in road keep left on Johannesburg Road. Continue along Johannesburg road, past the Shell garage on your right. Keep heading straight at the traffic circle, which becomes Centenary road, a large dam will be on your right. Travel around the dam, and you will see the Gautrain on your left side. At the T-Junction turn left onto Antwerp road, travel under the Gautrain railroad and continue straight at the circle, the road becomes Park avenue. At the second road turn right travel around the circle and head past Heartland House towards the sports clubhouse and find parking either in the lot or on the soccer fields.

IMPORTANT:

In order to gain access to the trails all trail users will be required to fill out an indemnity form and pay the prescribed entry fee. Trail users are reminded that AECI land is off limits to any person who has not filled out the indemnity form and paid the prescribed fee. This is vital as the operations and manufacturing of highly dangerous chemicals within the AECI property must be taken into consideration AND BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF ALL THOSE ENTERING THE AREA. ANY PERSON CAUGHT UTILISNG THE TRAILS WITHOUT FILLING IN THE INDEMNITY FORM SHALL BE DEALT WITH TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW AS A TRESSPASSER.

Please keep in mind that it is an absolute privilege to be able to utilise the land for the purposes of mountain biking, running and hiking, and that all users need to bear that in mind when utilising the trails.

I personally look forward to seeing all of you using the trails as they were intended, should you have any questions feel free to drop me an email on rickyt.ma@conceptcyclery.co.za

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes by someone other than myself, which information was taken off an email sent to our customer base.

It is my trails and this is the official announcement made on The Hub, hope to see you there.

Looking forward to riding. A few questions? How much does it cost? Once you have found parking where do you go? I assume you enter the riding area through the gate in the north west, ie turn left after passing under the Gautrain. Surely that would be a more logical point to get riding permits, sign forms and make payment?

How long is the course? Are there several courses? Technical on a scale of 1-10?

Is the entrance fee R40?

Are there directions to the venue for the final few roads? Modderfontein can get quite confusing if you haven't been there before...

See you Saturday!

Hi Everyone

Please stop stressing about routes and directions. The parking is at the clubhouse due to requirements and safety. We will have an office up and running there where annual and multi day passes can be bought. This will be enacted during July when the clubhouse is fully functional.

Once parked, paid and indemnity forms signed, you will follow marking s to the entry of the trail. Think of it as a 1.8km warmup. It will be clearly marked. Once you get to the security gate, you will have you pass checked and attended to by an official, and from there you will be allowed to enter the trails.

Enjoy.

Hi Everyone

Please stop stressing about routes and directions. The parking is at the clubhouse due to requirements and safety. We will have an office up and running there where annual and multi day passes can be bought. This will be enacted during July when the clubhouse is fully functional.

Once parked, paid and indemnity forms signed, you will follow marking s to the entry of the trail. Think of it as a 1.8km warmup. It will be clearly marked. Once you get to the security gate, you will have you pass checked and attended to by an official, and from there you will be allowed to enter the trails.

Enjoy.

We aint stressing - we just want to know how long the route is...

Do we need to take one wee water bottle, two, camelback, tent?

Will we be back at the start after 5 mins, 3 hours, 5 days?

Loads of us have families etc and want to plan our morning - without knowing how long the courses are we can't do that...

C'mon dude - just a wee idea of how long the course is to the closest 5km will do.

Say for instance you've cut 3km of trail and I'm coughing R40 - you're gonna get my cleat stuck in your security shack is all I'm saying. Sell your product man!

We aint stressing - we just want to know how long the route is...

Do we need to take one wee water bottle, two, camelback, tent?

Will we be back at the start after 5 mins, 3 hours, 5 days?

Loads of us have families etc and want to plan our morning - without knowing how long the courses are we can't do that...

C'mon dude - just a wee idea of how long the course is to the closest 5km will do.

Say for instance you've cut 3km of trail and I'm coughing R40 - you're gonna get my cleat stuck in your security shack is all I'm saying. Sell your product man!

I Like this guy!!!

Yes by someone other than myself, which information was taken off an email sent to our customer base.

It is my trails and this is the official announcement made on The Hub, hope to see you there.

Will do,

Maybe mods can merge the 2.

Hi Everyone

Please stop stressing about routes and directions.

But dude, your directions to the clubhouse/parking are appalling.

Not enough info will do that to you!

+1

So far all we know is:

There are trails.

There is a security hut.

It may or may not cost R40.

There will be north shore and a forest section in July.

Perhaps a mild description of the course and an idea of how long they are will help us. Doesn't need to be a disseration - a 5 liner should suffice...

We're already excited damnit - whip us into a frenzy!

Edit: my bad - the course description is available!

Edited by Eldron