Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

Following up from this thread, I would like to propose a running challenge throughout 2016 to motivate further weight loss and healthier lifestyles throughout the year.

The proposal is as follows, but there is room for negotiation:

1.) Each participating member will deposit R50 monthly into a central bank account. The total kitty will go to the member that showed the biggest overall loss over a (to be) determined period of time. I will contact a few cycling suppliers to establish interest in sponsoring a prize or perhaps exchanging the kitty for a cycling supplier voucher.

2.) An online, shared, document will be hosted where participants can update their weight. This will need to be done every Monday. Proof of initial weigh-in as well as weekly proof needs to be submitted

3.) The competition will run over 3 month periods. If it works as planned, we can discuss extending it.

4.) Weight loss will be determined by BMI percentage dropped and not mass to keep a level playing field.

5.) If a member no longer wishes to participate, he forfeits all money already paid into the kitty.

The aim of this is not to reward members with monetary value, but to facilitate and motivate a general healthier lifestyle.

A healthy rider is a happy rider.

Please feel free to make suggestions and indicate interest in the poll

Update: Weigh-in sheet can be found HERE

Edited by partydave

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe have a prize for the winner and let him decide a charity who gets the money. Having a R3k+ prize pool will attract some dodgy customers. Just my 2c

Great idea

Maybe we can do a power-to-weight or power % increase comp as well? For the "maergatte" you know. 

How many people own power meters? 

Thank you Gents. Excellent motivation to barge headlong into 2016.

You gotta be in it to give it (away)

Maybe aim to buy a bicycle or few for the Qhubeka charity in support of our new world tour team?

Maybe we can do a power-to-weight or power % increase comp as well? For the "maergatte" you know. 

Bit of an issue here, depending on the power meter and calibration or lack thereof. e.g. Powercal (yes not really a power meter bay a useful tool non the less) mine consistently records 90 watts less than a Powertap. 

So for comparative purposes with other devices not so good, but to compare against MY previous training it is effective. Even though it is demoralizing to hear other duded do intervals at 350 W and you can only achieve 260 W.

Going to be funny, but what about people who are really tight money wise?  I took a huge cut in my pay for the past few months and health issues caught me off guard as well.  And then being promised by people that I will get a new job never panned out.

So will love to take part for the loosing part, but monetary wise...I am phucked...

I will follow this for now, but am sitting quite happy with my weight after my loss to BarHugger so not much to give in terms of weight ;)

This will help keep me on the straight and narrow, and if I slip I will join up along the way.

Going to be funny, but what about people who are really tight money wise?  I took a huge cut in my pay for the past few months and health issues caught me off guard as well.  And then being promised by people that I will get a new job never panned out.

So will love to take part for the loosing part, but monetary wise...I am phucked...

For R50 I will sponsor you.