Brand:

Cannondale

Model:

Supersix EVO - High Mod

Year:

Colour:

Black with white decals

More about the bike:

Black Cannondale Super Six Evo High mod with American Classic Carbon wheels with GP4000's - Ultegra groupset, Shimano pedals with an S-works carbon handle bar with a 120mm Ritchey Stem.  Had a garmin edge 520 on and front and rear Ryder lights.  Cadence bottles in the cages at time of robbery.

Incident details

Date of incident:

18/07/2020

Claremont, Western Cape

Incident type:

Bike Jacking / Mugging

Police Station:

Claremont

Case Number:

218/7/2020

More about the incident:

Was riding over Stan hope bridge and 2 males pulled knives on me and demanded the bike.  They then proceeded to chase me in my road cleats wanting my cellphone and Cadence Gel.  Once the police send case number I will update

profile-image
Pure Savage

Claremont, Western Cape

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

Geez sorry

18 Jul 2020 08:47

profile-image
DJuice

Sorry Brendon.

With the presence of Pure Savage team, hopefully you will find your bike.

Keep safe.

18 Jul 2020 09:02

profile-image
The Ouzo

Saw you put this on twitter, wasnt sure if you were posting for someone else or not.

Eish dude. Hope you come right.

18 Jul 2020 09:03

profile-image
Pure Savage

Sorry Brendon.

With the presence of Pure Savage team, hopefully you will find your bike.

Keep safe.

Hope so. Crazy thing was when they took the bike they then started chasing after me still. Maybe they wanted the kit and my gels? 

I will no longer ever mock a triathlete, being able to transition to running in 10 seconds would have helped me this morning.

I am all ok, thats all that matters.

18 Jul 2020 09:04

profile-image
Pure Savage

Case number now added. 

The police at the police station were quick

18 Jul 2020 09:34

profile-image
'Dale

Sorry to hear, B

What matters most is that you’re safe. ????

18 Jul 2020 10:15

profile-image
Gen

Aye sorry to hear this. And sorry that you have to say you are okay.....you should be smiling from ear to ear after a lekker ride without somebody attacking you for your steed and personal items..makes me so angry. Hope your bike is found..

18 Jul 2020 10:19

profile-image
cadenceblur

Just sickening.

18 Jul 2020 10:33

profile-image
babse

Aye sorry to hear this. And sorry that you have to say you are okay.....you should be smiling from ear to ear after a lekker ride without somebody attacking you for your steed and personal items..makes me so angry. Hope your bike is found..

???? Agreed!

Makes me boil especially when so close to home.

Really hope you get bike back Brendon and someone is pinned for this.

18 Jul 2020 11:08

profile-image
Pure Savage

Sorry to hear, B

What matters most is that you’re safe.

Thanks, really just glad that safe and home with kids and wife now.

Discovery have sorted claim and set up trauma session for me. 

18 Jul 2020 11:13

profile-image
Bloukrans

Sorry to hear Brendon.

I'm glad you "ok" though

18 Jul 2020 11:17

profile-image
splat

Sorry to hear Brendon.

Glad your got away unharmed (with your sense of humour still intact).

This is makes me very angry as we ride over there in the early hours quite often.

18 Jul 2020 11:39

profile-image
Thomo

Too many of these opportunistic attacks in the last couple of weeks.????

18 Jul 2020 11:44

profile-image
Arrie

Eish, sorry to hear. So close to home????????. We came pass their about 7.30am, what time did it happen

18 Jul 2020 11:59

profile-image
Eddy Gordo

Damn, at least you ok. Cant believe its on that very busy bridge and no one assisted!!

18 Jul 2020 11:59

profile-image
Thomo

Damn, at least you ok. Cant believe its on that very busy bridge and no one assisted!!

Probably not so busy at that time of morning on a winter Saturday.

18 Jul 2020 12:10

profile-image
Bruhbikesbro

Eish sounds bad soz

18 Jul 2020 12:32

profile-image
Let's Ride

Sorry to hear Brendon. Saw on Instagram early this am. I run that bridge fairly often. Becoming scary now.

Guess they went to the taxi rank side... Maybe auric auto have cameras.

18 Jul 2020 12:37

profile-image
Wannabe

This is not funny anymore.... :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Glad you got away unhurt, B. Go for that counselling A.S.A.P.

18 Jul 2020 12:45

profile-image
DieselnDust

Glad you're OK. This new normal needs to be reversed

18 Jul 2020 13:36

profile-image
MORNE

Yea I also recommend going.

After my mugging a few years ago i carried that baggage around for at least a year.

I was borderline wanting to get physical with beggars at the traffic lights....basically luring out altercations, especially while around people i care about.

One night in town a ‘bergie’ got a bit to close to my wife begging and I ‘vigorously helped’ him off the sidewalk into the road...

Not recommended.

18 Jul 2020 13:49

profile-image
Frosty

Not good to hear. Hope you come right, mentally and physically (the bike).

18 Jul 2020 14:15

profile-image
Player 23

Glad you are in good health captain !

It was strange to ride the peninsula without you today

18 Jul 2020 14:15

profile-image
Andreas_187

Sorry to hear about this. Very happy to hear you're OK though.

18 Jul 2020 18:22

profile-image
Pure Savage

Bike was spotted in Lentegeur Michell's Plain. Received in Facebook messenger.

20 Jul 2020 16:58

profile-image
Pure Savage

The thief has removed the saddle bag, so does have some style.

20 Jul 2020 16:58

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

Maybe you need a a few gravel recovery rides

post-81229-0-67145800-1595267433_thumb.jpeg

20 Jul 2020 19:51

profile-image
Slowbee

ANy news Mr Savage ?

20 Jul 2020 20:14

profile-image
Pure Savage

Maybe you need a a few gravel recovery rides

Actually rode the morning coffee on my gravel bike, the 30T upfront causes a "Laura" from constania spin class impression. Was great though, pumped the tyres nice and hard and the extra grip in the corners was fun! Very tiring though. 

Also, love the pic!!!

21 Jul 2020 10:14

profile-image
Pure Savage

ANy news Mr Savage ?

Nothing on the bike, discovery is being pretty slow with the claim. They trying to find a Cannondale high mod with 40mm deep sections and there are non in the country. They seem to be stuck.

21 Jul 2020 10:15

profile-image
Shebeen

Bike was spotted in Lentegeur Michell's Plain. Received in Facebook messenger.

that sucks, close to the copshop and a busy part of town - fear this could get more common as okes get desperate. plus one on the trauma counselling, don't put it off.

in an ideal world the edge 520 could work out it's location connect to the internet and the nice people at garmin could show you where the thieves have been (and are currently).

21 Jul 2020 10:20

profile-image
Pure Savage

that sucks, close to the copshop and a busy part of town - fear this could get more common as okes get desperate. plus one on the trauma counselling, don't put it off.

in an ideal world the edge 520 could work out it's location connect to the internet and the nice people at garmin could show you where the thieves have been (and are currently).

Had the trauma session yesterday and scheduled another for next week monday, has helped.

21 Jul 2020 10:27

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

Actually rode the morning coffee on my gravel bike, the 30T upfront causes a "Laura" from constania spin class impression. Was great though, pumped the tyres nice and hard and the extra grip in the corners was fun! Very tiring though. 

Also, love the pic!!!

the 30T will be just find if you come this side and ride with me  - my 42 and 10/50 should make us a bit more even than if you had proper gears

21 Jul 2020 11:14

profile-image
'Dale

Nothing on the bike, discovery is being pretty slow with the claim. They trying to find a Cannondale high mod with 40mm deep sections and there are non in the country. They seem to be stuck.

I did this exercise a few months ago.

No stock. Even abroad it is rare - specifically Hi-Mod.

The new Evo is flooding the market, B.

21 Jul 2020 12:36

profile-image
Pure Savage

I did this exercise a few months ago.

No stock. Even abroad it is rare - specifically Hi-Mod.

The new Evo is flooding the market, B.

Yeah, there will be a new shipment at some point. 

I am looking between a swift and 2020 supersix rim. 

I just wish the discovery agent gets a move on.

21 Jul 2020 13:01

profile-image
Andrew Steer

Glad you're okay, even a SuperSix is replaceable (eventually)

Glad you got counselling, been there, done that... it's really important.

Weird to hope that the guys were at least wearing face masks... 

21 Jul 2020 13:15

profile-image
DieselnDust

watch the BH classifieds.

Friend  of mine was bike jacked a couple of weeks back and her bike popped up in the classifieds last week.

21 Jul 2020 14:12

profile-image
Pure Savage

There has been movement on this. Very grateful to Cape Town's amazing bike shops. 

24 Jul 2020 10:47

profile-image
Duane_Bosch

Just a heads up. This is a lesson learned through bitter experience.

If insurance pays up for your bike and you spot someone on it, it does not belong to you. You can try to recover it but it legally belongs to the insurance company.

And if you pay money to recover the bike you're knowingly buying stolen property. Which is a criminal offence. Also the insurance company will recover the bike from you and you will lose the money paid over.

24 Jul 2020 10:59

profile-image
Duane_Bosch

watch the BH classifieds.

Friend  of mice was bike jacked a couple of weeks back and her bike popped up in the classifieds last week.

What came of this?

Did the police go get the bike or were they too busy stopping people from buying cigarettes?

24 Jul 2020 11:01

profile-image
Pure Savage

If insurance pays up for your bike and you spot someone on it, it does not belong to you. You can try to recover it but it legally belongs to the insurance company.

And if you pay money to recover the bike you're knowingly buying stolen property. Which is a criminal offence. Also the insurance company will recover the bike from you and you will lose the money paid over.

Already chatted to the insurer. I have handed all info to cops.

24 Jul 2020 11:09

profile-image
DieselnDust

What came of this?

Did the police go get the bike or were they too busy stopping people from buying cigarettes?

Apparently the bike was spotted in Somerset West. Seller removed the ad so its gone quiet again.

Sounds like a very sophisticated mafia behind these bike jackings

24 Jul 2020 11:12

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

but, in some cases you can buy it back from the insurance company, normally for a lot less than the value paid out

24 Jul 2020 11:14

profile-image
Duane_Bosch

but, in some cases you can buy it back from the insurance company, normally for a lot less than the value paid out

Ja. I bought my bike back from a scumbag. I notified my insurer and they came to collect. I had a Utopian thought in my head that they would just let me have it.

My insurer had a blind auction. I decided not to bid on "my" bike. Paying 3 times for the same bike didn't feel like a good idea.

24 Jul 2020 11:30

profile-image
Pure Savage

So I have the guys number who went into a Cape Town shop with a photo of my biking asking for shoes/cleats/helmet etc. Have messaged him to ask him either return it or let me know who he bought it from as SAPS detective would like a chat. 

04 Aug 2020 09:03

profile-image
Pure Savage

So I have the guys number who went into a Cape Town shop with a photo of my biking asking for shoes/cleats/helmet etc. Have messaged him to ask him either return it or let me know who he bought it from as SAPS detective would like a chat. 

Its not my bike, so not going to go full rambo on the guy, but at least I know exactly where it is etc.

04 Aug 2020 09:10

profile-image
Shebeen

Its not my bike, so not going to go full rambo on the guy, but at least I know exactly where it is etc.

surely it's up to cops/insurance now then? why post here. the nice fellas who took it from you could be peeing here

04 Aug 2020 09:29

profile-image
Pure Savage

surely it's up to cops/insurance now then? why post here. the nice fellas who took it from you could be peeing here

The person is pretty well known in Cape Town, he is not going anywhere. 

The bike is still in Cape Town. 

Reason I posted is people have tried to make contact etc with the person and he has just ghosted them. Now people know that bike is still in Cape Town and he is probably going to try and off load it at a cash crusaders etc. At least its still on people's minds and if someone was to search stolen cannondale supersix cape town, this thread should pop up.

04 Aug 2020 09:36

profile-image
Andrew Steer

Reason I posted is people have tried to make contact etc with the person and he has just ghosted them. Now people know that bike is still in Cape Town and he is probably going to try and off load it at a cash crusaders etc. At least its still on people's minds and if someone was to search stolen cannondale supersix cape town, this thread should pop up.

Dodge city... hope there is some justice down the line. 

04 Aug 2020 09:44

profile-image
Shebeen

Gotcha.

04 Aug 2020 11:28

profile-image
splat

Someone else's was bikejacked a few weeks ago and the bike was found in the Cash Crusaders in Montague Gardens.

Bike was bought for R8k and for sale @ R30k

post-615-0-14435000-1596533549_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-74041900-1596533554_thumb.jpg

04 Aug 2020 11:34

profile-image
Let's Ride

Is it by any chance at the shop in Plumstead?

04 Aug 2020 12:17

profile-image
DieselnDust

cue twilight zone music as we await an answer

04 Aug 2020 12:55

profile-image
Skylark

The post right above you mentioned it was found at Cash Converters Montague gardens

09 Aug 2020 23:35

profile-image
Let's Ride

The post right above you mentioned it was found at Cash Converters Montague gardens

Different bike to the op's.

10 Aug 2020 03:51

profile-image
Pure Savage

25 Oct 2020 07:21

profile-image
DieselnDust

does this mean more to come or still awaiting info?

25 Oct 2020 11:32

profile-image
Pure Savage

does this mean more to come or still awaiting info?

Chatting to the insurance company as the bike is “theirs” police will only pay the person a visit with the owner of the bike.

25 Oct 2020 17:38

profile-image
Mikaeel1198

25 Oct 2020 17:55

profile-image
Skylark

25 Oct 2020 18:18

profile-image
babse

FFS

FB market place is buzz'n with some ???? deals

25 Oct 2020 19:09

profile-image
MORNE

It seems the skollies are getting more clued up. But at what point does LeHub become an encyclopedia or wikipedia for thieves out there? Anyone can come here and scope the classifieds anonymously to get an idea of what a bike is worth...or even see if the bike is ‘hot’ as might be the case of the Yeti in another one of these threads. Alot of them are opportunistic sure, but I get the feeling (after my own experience, and getting it back) that there guys instigating these jackings and they have fine taste and know how to price a bike to sell...not for too little, but fast.

Maybe classifieds need to become member only.

25 Oct 2020 19:13

profile-image
MajG

Paying members only classifieds perhaps, good idea.

Please say the OP will go follow up on this and not like the case of Yeti thats was very slow to react. Hope she got that skelm tho

25 Oct 2020 20:20

profile-image
Skylark

Please say the OP will go follow up on this and not like the case of Yeti thats was very slow to react. Hope she got that skelm tho

Does anyone have a link to the Yeti thread?

26 Oct 2020 00:35

profile-image
MORNE

26 Oct 2020 07:11

profile-image
Pure Savage

Yes, its mine, I wanted to reply that we had found it, we just now sorting out the "Pick up"

26 Oct 2020 07:48

profile-image
Pure Savage

Hi Hubbers, 

I have made contact, its at a cash crusaders. 

Please nobody buy it before I get there.

Thanks. 

B

26 Oct 2020 07:52

profile-image
MajG

Hi Hubbers, 

I have made contact, its at a cash crusaders. 

Please nobody buy it before I get there.

Thanks. 

B

When you sell something to cash crusaders do you need to show them identification?

IF so, then you can surely trace the skelm that sold it to cash crusaders

26 Oct 2020 08:19

profile-image
MajG

Goodluck, hope goes smoothly

26 Oct 2020 08:20

profile-image
Jbr

it's already hard to sell, but now you're not gonna sell anything anymore

26 Oct 2020 08:34

profile-image
Edereese

Some of the masterminds either have a fake identification OR they get a fall guy to sell the item to cash crusaders and offer them a little incentive. Nevertheless, it's now cash crusaders problem to recover their loss. 

26 Oct 2020 08:55

profile-image
andreas17777

Did you see all the other stuff this person is selling, I wonder if it's all stolen.

26 Oct 2020 09:05

profile-image
Pure Savage

Did you see all the other stuff this person is selling, I wonder if it's all stolen.

I think its the cash crusaders.

26 Oct 2020 09:16

profile-image
Pure Savage

Discovery is going to investigate and collect their bike, hopefully. 

26 Oct 2020 10:28

profile-image
FootballingCyclist

How funny.

A friend of mine who was mugged on the M5 of her Cannondale Supersix also found her bike at Cash Crusaders!! I wonder if it's the same which is store selling yours Brendon. If it is, that means this guy willingly and knowingly buys and sells stolen property, and the thugs committing these crimes obviously know this hence these bikes keep ending up there.

26 Oct 2020 10:36

profile-image
MFS

Hey im ssssooooo Glad we could help recover your bike.... Faried... Cash Crusaders are buying toooo much stolen bikes and we need to start holding them accountable for this.. When we got robbed a few weeks ago my friends bike was sold to Cash Crusaders in Parow aswell????????????????

26 Oct 2020 10:49

profile-image
MajG

Discovery is going to investigate and collect their bike, hopefully. 

i really hope they actually go collect this bike - else Cash crusaders will continue to to feed this habit of the thiefs

26 Oct 2020 10:55

profile-image
Pure Savage

How funny.

A friend of mine who was mugged on the M5 of her Cannondale Supersix also found her bike at Cash Crusaders!! I wonder if it's the same which is store selling yours Brendon. If it is, that means this guy willingly and knowingly buys and sells stolen property, and the thugs committing these crimes obviously know this hence these bikes keep ending up there.

I did chat to her, its not the same one. There was another bike also recently stolen and found in a CC as well in the northern suburbs.

26 Oct 2020 11:02

profile-image
Pure Savage

Hey im ssssooooo Glad we could help recover your bike.... Faried... Cash Crusaders are buying toooo much stolen bikes and we need to start holding them accountable for this.. When we got robbed a few weeks ago my friends bike was sold to Cash Crusaders in Parow aswell

Really appreciate all the messages and hope you heal up fast.

i really hope they actually go collect this bike - else Cash crusaders will continue to to feed this habit of the thiefs

Thats my issue - If they say "Yes we will investigate" then do nothing and some random buys it, will "create a market",  I know its going to suck for CC, but they need to do better due diligence when buying goods.

26 Oct 2020 11:04

profile-image
MajG

Really appreciate all the messages and hope you heal up fast.

Thats my issue - If they say "Yes we will investigate" then do nothing and some random buys it, will "create a market",  I know its going to suck for CC, but they need to do better due diligence when buying goods.

CC has helped to create this market, so they should take the loss and put processes in place to prevent or deter these thieves

Glad insurance sorted you out though, but doubt insurance company will put urgency to go fetch the bike before its sold off

26 Oct 2020 11:36

profile-image
Edge_Design

CC has helped to create this market, so they should take the loss and put processes in place to prevent or deter these thieves

Glad insurance sorted you out though, but doubt insurance company will put urgency to go fetch the bike before its sold off

Notify the CC that the bike was stolen and that if they sell it they will be knowingly dealing in stolen goods... Not worth the risk to them after that. They're generally quite co-operative with the police on these things - they know they're dealing in stolen goods as it is obvious when you buy a bike like that for R5k (making up a number) but that doesn't mean they can afford to be caught for it. They'll make their money from the 100 other items that they sell without the previous owner knowing.

I recovered a bike from a CC a few years back - it was returned to the rightful owner with the police's assistance (a hubber). The CC printed out the list of stuff they'd bought from the guy and it was many pages long and all at ridiculously low prices.

26 Oct 2020 12:46

profile-image
Pure Savage

Notify the CC that the bike was stolen and that if they sell it they will be knowingly dealing in stolen goods... Not worth the risk to them after that. They're generally quite co-operative with the police on these things - they know they're dealing in stolen goods as it is obvious when you buy a bike like that for R5k (making up a number) but that doesn't mean they can afford to be caught for it. They'll make their money from the 100 other items that they sell without the previous owner knowing.

I recovered a bike from a CC a few years back - it was returned to the rightful owner with the police's assistance (a hubber). The CC printed out the list of stuff they'd bought from the guy and it was many pages long and all at ridiculously low prices.

Police seem not to be bothered, discovery's investigator does not seem keen either. They would like me to go fetch bike with police etc, then send a driver in the next 2/3 weeks to collect the bike in their time... 

26 Oct 2020 12:54

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

Police seem not to be bothered, discovery's investigator does not seem keen either. They would like me to go fetch bike with police etc, then send a driver in the next 2/3 weeks to collect the bike in their time... 

might be worth asking them to sell it to you

26 Oct 2020 13:07

profile-image
Pure Savage

might be worth asking them to sell it to you

Probably not many people want a cut and slammed Stem.  ha ha! I will charge them a recovery fee :P

26 Oct 2020 13:20

profile-image
MORNE

If you have conclusive proof that you own(ed) it and that it was stolen (which you obviously do), i'd walk in there and take it. Honestly, let them call the police, will save you the effort of getting them there yourself. go take your property.

My wife's uncle did just that...walked into a CC and took his bike. 

PS: tyhen you just have to deal with Discovery yourself. the police wont come or do anything. they haven't even phoned me yet regarding my bike haha. I have it back now so whatever. Screw them.

26 Oct 2020 13:20

profile-image
MajG

Holy crap - for reals

you do all the work for them and 2 weeks later they might collect the bike

this why these crimes will forever continue

26 Oct 2020 13:29

profile-image
cadenceblur

If you have been paid out, then it's surely the insurance's problem.

26 Oct 2020 13:42

profile-image
Pure Savage

If you have been paid out, then it's surely the insurance's problem.

Correct, I am not overly concerned about the bike itself. But letting CC sell the bike creates a market for offloading stolen goods. There are 3 cases alone on this thread where that was the case. 

I have printed all the docs, will go down there, take a photo of it on the premises, speak to the manager, ask if he would like the police to come and investigate the other items he has for sale or let me go home with the bike. 

Then the internal investigator from discovery can come get it from me. Once he has worked out where I live or worked out how to call me on the number I have sent him.

26 Oct 2020 14:33

profile-image
MORNE

Correct, I am not overly concerned about the bike itself. But letting CC sell the bike creates a market for offloading stolen goods. There are 3 cases alone on this thread where that was the case. 

I have printed all the docs, will go down there, take a photo of it on the premises, speak to the manager, ask if he would like the police to come and investigate the other items he has for sale or let me go home with the bike. 

Then the internal investigator from discovery can come get it from me. Once he has worked out where I live or worked out how to call me on the number I have sent him.

not just that, my wife has worked with the owner of this business (right at the top) before and apparently they take this VERY seriously and it is their biggest headache. They have lots of system in place to minimise this but obviously there are cracks.  i have an idea these cases are all at a local managerial level. Those guys only care about sales numbers and commissions. Threaten them with head office cart blanche style exposure lol

26 Oct 2020 14:47

profile-image
Vishal72

Recovered my bike from Cash Crusaders Table View 3 years ago with the help of the police. 

26 Oct 2020 14:50

profile-image
Pure Savage

not just that, my wife has worked with the owner of this business (right at the top) before and apparently they take this VERY seriously and it is their biggest headache. They have lots of system in place to minimise this but obviously there are cracks.  i have an idea these cases are all at a local managerial level. Those guys only care about sales numbers and commissions. Threaten them with head office cart blanche style exposure lol

Will ask if I should post it on my Insta :P

26 Oct 2020 14:57

profile-image
MORNE

Will ask if I should post it on my Insta :P

or the EFF's twitter...tell them you are a redcap haha 

26 Oct 2020 15:00

profile-image
Pure Savage

ca6d9ec6a4102849cc3824e1af5028a7.jpg

Went and saw the bike, informed them it’s stolen. They removed it from the front, I am going to warn people not to buy the stolen goods on our profiles as well.

26 Oct 2020 16:27

profile-image
Kameel

Went and saw the bike, informed them it’s stolen. They removed it from the front, I am going to warn people not to buy the stolen goods on our profiles as well.

Out of interest sake - did they say what they're going to do with the bike now? Or will it just be put back at the front of the store again in a week or two from now.

26 Oct 2020 16:32

profile-image
MajG

how was it to see your baby all tied up ?

Good job on following through!

26 Oct 2020 16:33

profile-image
Pure Savage

Out of interest sake - did they say what they're going to do with the bike now? Or will it just be put back at the front of the store again in a week or two from now.

Thats what it sounds like to me. 

So someone will end up buying it and then will have it removed from them by discovery.

I am going to email someone a little higher up in the cash crusader food chain. 

I am still angry that someone tried to stab me and the store manager telling me I cannot take my bike back did not go down well.

26 Oct 2020 16:45

profile-image
Pure Savage

how was it to see your baby all tied up ?

Good job on following through!

I could not believe it! 

In all honesty, I dont care about the bike anymore. I just dont want someone to pay the R18k they want for it and to find out its stolen then have discovery and police come and take it back etc. 

26 Oct 2020 16:53

profile-image
DieselnDust

Crime should not be allowed to follow through to completion. This whole supply chain must be demolished.

26 Oct 2020 17:03

profile-image
MORNE

I could not believe it! 

In all honesty, I dont care about the bike anymore. I just dont want someone to pay the R18k they want for it and to find out its stolen then have discovery and police come and take it back etc. 

smash it with a hammer? i get what you are saying....but i'd still be emotionally vested in it even though i've moved on to something new. if i cant have it...no one can :devil:

even better...buy the hammer at the CC store

26 Oct 2020 17:04

profile-image
Patchelicious

Tell your insurer immediately, they will sort the Cash Crusaders people.

26 Oct 2020 17:10

profile-image
Pure Savage

Tell your insurer immediately, they will sort the Cash Crusaders people.

Have told them, I just did not want it to get sold before discovery wakes up and sends someone. 

I have sent all the details, the shop, pictures, all the case numbers etc. I am just worried they would do nothing etc.

26 Oct 2020 17:12

profile-image
Pure Savage

smash it with a hammer? i get what you are saying....but i'd still be emotionally vested in it even though i've moved on to something new. if i cant have it...no one can :devil:

even better...buy the hammer at the CC store

If I had no insurance, I would have taken it for a test ride into the sunset.

26 Oct 2020 17:13

profile-image
Vishal72

If I had no insurance, I would have taken it for a test ride into the sunset.

if the bike still has the serial numbers, the investigating officer should then go there with the papers and retrieve it, thats what I did

26 Oct 2020 17:23

profile-image
ChrisF

So someone will end up buying it and then will have it removed from them by discovery.

I am still angry that someone tried to stab me and the store manager telling me I cannot take my bike back did not go down well.

Is their a parking spot NEAR their door ?

Put up BIG posters on your vehicle stating that CC buys and sells stolen goods ... add photos of your bike.

Next email Discovery, CC branch manager, CC head office, local police, and a couple of news papers .... state the basic facts ....

Fully agree with you the monetary value of the bike is NOT the point of discussion !  The fact that people can put a knife to your body and threaten your life, chase Morne down the road, etc THIS needs to STOP !!!

And as long as CC is part of the chain of recycling these stolen goods the thieves have a market.  STOP CC and the lucrative market shrinks .....

And to those Hubbers buying goods at a price that "is too good to be true" .... YOU are part of this problem !!!

After my little "encounter" on Sunday morning I am gatvol of this nonsense being allowed in our country.  YES, I know theft has always been here, and will always be here ... I have had two bikes stolen many years ago.  But this bike jacking cr@p, and endangering our lives !!!!  :cursing:   :cursing:

26 Oct 2020 17:27

profile-image
Pure Savage

if the bike still has the serial numbers, the investigating officer should then go there with the papers and retrieve it, thats what I did

I never recorded the serial number so they dont have the serial number. 

26 Oct 2020 17:29

profile-image
MORNE

that Liv next to yours is probably also stolen....and so are all the webers. I say this because your braai getting stolen is a thing in my suburb lol. I've lost 2.

26 Oct 2020 17:31

profile-image
ChrisF

that Liv next to yours is probably also stolen....and so are all the webers. I say this because your braai getting stolen is a thing in my suburb lol. I've lost 2.

Bit of information that some may find useful ...

Your Giant dealer CAN  register your ebike electronically on their Giant system.  Any time the bike goes in for a service they are supposed to link the bike to their system to check for milage, and error codes, etc ... and CAN then see the details of the registered owner.

Should be VERY easy to check the details of the registered owner of the Liv .....

Unfortunately they dont do it automatically.  You need to ask them to do this registration ....

Would expect the other brands of ebikes to have similar electronic registrations.

SO EASY to close out the loop ....

26 Oct 2020 17:43

profile-image
MORNE

you cant even dream this ****....

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186071-stolen-giant-liv-avail-3-2016-cape-town/?do=findComment&comment=3728082

i just said that bike must be stolen haha

this now is serious imo....

This guy obviously knowingly buys stolen bikes now, too much of a coincidence.  

26 Oct 2020 17:45

profile-image
Bateleur1

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186071-stolen-giant-liv-avail-3-2016-cape-town/?do=findComment&comment=3728082

This is where the SA law is seriously lacking.  Here in Germany if you are busted with stolen goods (even if you bought it) it is a criminal offence. Finish and klaar.  It is up to you who buy the goods responsibility to check that a seller does not buy you stolen goods.  You should ask for the original receipt or for some proof that he did not steal it.  You can't tell the police you found it lying around.  Lost property is to be handed either to the police or in most cases at the municipal offices where they have a lost and found departement.  If someone looks for their lost property they should pay a founders fee which is passed on to the person who handed it in.  If nobody claims after 6 months the items is yours. 

26 Oct 2020 18:33

profile-image
MORNE

This is where the SA law is seriously lacking. Here in Germany if you are busted with stolen goods (even if you bought it) it is a criminal offence. Finish and klaar. It is up to you who buy the goods responsibility to check that a seller does not buy you stolen goods. You should ask for the original receipt or for some proof that he did not steal it. You can't tell the police you found it lying around. Lost property is to be handed either to the police or in most cases at the municipal offices where they have a lost and found departement. If someone looks for their lost property they should pay a founders fee which is passed on to the person who handed it in. If nobody claims after 6 months the items is yours.

To be fair it is, or is supposed to be, the same here. Happened to my cousin about ten years ago. Bought a racecar to build up for track day fun....R250k. Being a racecar is where it got blurry with papers etc obviously...since racecars dont have to be registered for road use. a few weeks later after having done lots of work on it already..police rocks up and tells him he’s in possession of a stolen car, and it was confiscated. Done. Klaar. No more car. Lol. Serious school fees. Ps: Mitsubishi lancer Evo 8.

26 Oct 2020 18:44

profile-image
Maxxis

Sent you a DM. Hope it helps.

26 Oct 2020 18:56

profile-image
Bateleur1

To be fair it is, or is supposed to be, the same here. Happened to my cousin about ten years ago. Bought a racecar to build up for track day fun....R250k. Being a racecar is where it got blurry with papers etc obviously...since racecars dont have to be registered for road use. a few weeks later after having done lots of work on it already..police rocks up and tells him he’s in possession of a stolen car, and it was confiscated. Done. Klaar. No more car. Lol. Serious school fees. Ps: Mitsubishi lancer Evo 8.

Difference he was minus his car.  Here you are minus the car and you are criminally charged for possession of stolen goods  You tend to make sure what you buy is not stolen

26 Oct 2020 19:20

profile-image
Patchelicious

Difference he was minus his car. Here you are minus the car and you are criminally charged for possession of stolen goods You tend to make sure what you buy is not stolen

Speaking of which, it will great when the Ferrari and Aston dealerships in Sandton start getting asked about the due diligence they do when somebody walks in and buys 5 cars with a bag of cash.

26 Oct 2020 19:28

profile-image
MORNE

Difference he was minus his car.  Here you are minus the car and you are criminally charged for possession of stolen goods  You tend to make sure what you buy is not stolen

Technically you can be here too, he had to go give a statement/affidavid and prove he had no idea or way of knowing the car was stolen. The person who sold it to him also disappeared. But i think they prefer that you are given the ultimatum of “we confiscate the stuff...or you go to jail”...so they can have it for themselves lol. I also know that they burn metric tons of confiscated goods on a landfill all the time. Whether they are allowed to rummage through those things before applying fire is another question...

26 Oct 2020 19:33

profile-image
Pure Savage

NO. WAYS!

26 Oct 2020 19:37

profile-image
Pure Savage

OK, update :)

We, the insurance investigator, my detective and I are going to collect the bike at 12:30 today. 

I slept better last night.

27 Oct 2020 09:31

profile-image
MajG

awesome news!

Drop a line to them about the other stolen bike , to make them aware that CC is under the spotlight

27 Oct 2020 09:44

profile-image
Escapee..

I could not believe it! 

How much did CC pay for the bike? I am just curious

27 Oct 2020 09:50

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

This is where the SA law is seriously lacking.  Here in Germany if you are busted with stolen goods (even if you bought it) it is a criminal offence. Finish and klaar.  It is up to you who buy the goods responsibility to check that a seller does not buy you stolen goods.  You should ask for the original receipt or for some proof that he did not steal it.  You can't tell the police you found it lying around.  Lost property is to be handed either to the police or in most cases at the municipal offices where they have a lost and found departement.  If someone looks for their lost property they should pay a founders fee which is passed on to the person who handed it in.  If nobody claims after 6 months the items is yours. 

here in South Africa this is also the law

Just that those enforcing don't give a flying F...

27 Oct 2020 09:50

profile-image
Pure Savage

It was taken as security of a loan. Was on the shop floor for R18k so must have been less than that I am guessing.

27 Oct 2020 10:14

profile-image
MORNE

awesome news!

Drop a line to them about the other stolen bike , to make them aware that CC is under the spotlight

Agree, tell the piggy there and then the liv is stolen too. Maybe they can load it and keep it at the station for the owner.

27 Oct 2020 10:16

profile-image
DieselnDust

Agree, tell the piggy there and then the liv is stolen too. Maybe they can load it and keep it at the station for the owner.

Cover the front door with yellow "Crime Scene" tape and shut them down for a days. that will get someones attention

27 Oct 2020 10:57

profile-image
Edereese

It was taken as security of a loan. Was on the shop floor for R18k so must have been less than that I am guessing.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/capetown/search/?callsite=commerce_mktplace_www_hoisted_pdp&hoisted_item=1281976592163912&query=cannondale

Came across that last night. Was advertised for 22K at first. 

27 Oct 2020 11:02

profile-image
Pure Savage

Yeah, then when I rocked up it was 18k, strange, the investigator seems rather keen to go and find the person that pawned the bike to CC.

27 Oct 2020 11:14

profile-image
gummibear

OK, update :)

We, the insurance investigator, my detective and I are going to collect the bike at 12:30 today.

I slept better last night.

That’s awesome and I hope CC paid the seller a good price so a big loss to them.

Any idea who sold it to them?

27 Oct 2020 11:15

profile-image
devocean

I could not believe it! 

Do what I did...call your insurance company and say you've recovered the bike (which, if you've been paid out, now belongs to them) and then you can offer them something for the bike. They'll take just about anything (like 2k). I think I offered them 3k for a mountain bike that they'd paid out 20k+ for and they accepted (then wondered if I should have offered them less!).

27 Oct 2020 11:15

profile-image
gummibear

Hopefully a big sum [emoji106][emoji106]

27 Oct 2020 11:16

profile-image
MORNE

That’s awesome and I hope CC paid the seller a good price so a big loss to them.

Any idea who sold it to them?

They should have all the info, but chances are it’s all fake.

27 Oct 2020 11:24

profile-image
Pure Savage

Speaking of which, it will great when the Ferrari and Aston dealerships in Sandton start getting asked about the due diligence they do when somebody walks in and buys 5 cars with a bag of cash.

It is strange, I know the Merc dealership in Stellies does comply with all the money laundering checks etc.

27 Oct 2020 11:25

profile-image
Pure Savage

Do what I did...call your insurance company and say you've recovered the bike (which, if you've been paid out, now belongs to them) and then you can offer them something for the bike. They'll take just about anything (like 2k). I think I offered them 3k for a mountain bike that they'd paid out 20k+ for and they accepted (then wondered if I should have offered them less!).

Thanks, I will chat to my investigating officer when we drive to CC together today :)

27 Oct 2020 11:26

profile-image
Pure Savage

They should have all the info, but chances are it’s all fake.

My feeling as well. 

27 Oct 2020 11:26

profile-image
GhostSixFour

So that's how they do it. Bring in valuable items that have been stolen as "security" then default on the loan.

Wonder if there is less checks when they do it that way? Also, allows them to get the money, whilst your item isn't in the store front immediately when you go and check, as there is a time period that they allow before they are allowed to sell your items.

27 Oct 2020 11:58

profile-image
MORNE

Remember to take a selfie with the store manager....

27 Oct 2020 12:04

profile-image
The Ouzo

It is strange, I know the Merc dealership in Stellies does comply with all the money laundering checks etc.

legally any cash or EFT payments over a certain amount should have all the checks done, but if the buyer lies on those checks there is not much a dealership can do about it, the checks get done and reported.

27 Oct 2020 12:08

profile-image
Pure Savage

post-11806-0-99902900-1603796780_thumb.jpeg

Bike is now in police custody. 

I have to now go in and give a statement that its my bike. 

I have found all the invoices for all the parts on bike, the original invoice is a written one as the shop computer died the month I bought the bike.

I will probably have to get an avidavit from my LBS that the serviced the bike for  4 years.

27 Oct 2020 13:07

profile-image
Pure Savage

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2020-10-27 at 12.51.08.jpeg

Bike is now in police custody. 

I have to now go in and give a statement that its my bike. 

I have found all the invoices for all the parts on bike, the original invoice is a written one as the shop computer died the month I bought the bike.

I will probably have to get an avidavit from my LBS that the serviced the bike for  4 years.

Going to have to write a whole blog post about all this saga. 

I can 100% see why crime pays though, it is ALOT of effort to report the thing, get in contact with insurance company, get investigating officer to come out. Etc Etc

27 Oct 2020 13:10

profile-image
MORNE

And store managers smug face after yesterday?

Edit: alot of effort yes, but still a victory though. Good on you for following through.

27 Oct 2020 13:13

profile-image
GhostSixFour

Went and checked their website, it seems that you can apply for a loan up to R15k online, and although I didn't complete the process, I wasn't even asked for a ID number. It seems that you then just go and drop off the item and get the cash. Then they sell your item if you didn't pay back the loan within 30 days.

You need an ID when selling to them though, so these fsckers have figured it out.

27 Oct 2020 13:19

profile-image
Bateleur1

Went and checked their website, it seems that you can apply for a loan up to R15k online, and although I didn't complete the process, I wasn't even asked for a ID number. It seems that you then just go and drop off the item and get the cash. Then they sell your item if you didn't pay back the loan within 30 days.

You need an ID when selling to them though, so these fsckers have figured it out.

Wonder how this practice is alligend with the National Credit Act.  Might be of interrest to them.

27 Oct 2020 13:23

profile-image
DieselnDust

so shut down the CC LoanShark and the supply chain needs to evolve in another direction. That should slow things down and hopefully allow the cops to catch up to few fencers

27 Oct 2020 13:24

profile-image
Pure Savage

There is an ID required when you go to the store. Although those are easily forged apparently.

27 Oct 2020 13:24

profile-image
Pure Savage

And store managers smug face after yesterday?

Edit: alot of effort yes, but still a victory though. Good on you for following through.

He was actually rather friendly. Although there was another member of staff that I think posted the facebook advert that was not happy with me, the police or the investigator. 

I now have to get all the invoices I have for the bike, print them and take them and post a statement.

27 Oct 2020 13:26

profile-image
MORNE

He was actually rather friendly. Although there was another member of staff that I think posted the facebook advert that was not happy with me, the police or the investigator. 

I now have to get all the invoices I have for the bike, print them and take them and post a statement.

Print pictures you have of it or you with it too?

27 Oct 2020 13:32

profile-image
Thomo

Going to have to write a whole blog post about all this saga.

I can 100% see why crime pays though, it is ALOT of effort to report the thing, get in contact with insurance company, get investigating officer to come out. Etc Etc

Criminal activity comes with a massive inconvenience that being insured doesn't cover for.

Hopefully these recent recoveries is a small step in the right direction.

27 Oct 2020 13:33

profile-image
Edereese

Surely the insurance should have the serial number of the bike? I would assume it would make the recovery much easier. How much more proof do you need..

27 Oct 2020 13:48

profile-image
Pure Savage

Print pictures you have of it or you with it too?

They were not impressed with my 200 photos on instagram, kept saying the bike could be any bike.

post-11806-0-02903100-1603800151_thumb.jpeg

I mean, how can you not tell the slammed stem from this pic?

27 Oct 2020 14:02

profile-image
Pure Savage

Surely the insurance should have the serial number of the bike? I would assume it would make the recovery much easier. How much more proof do you need..

We noted that it was never recorded. It would make it a lot easier. 

I am not sure HOW much proof you need. 

They going to get a photo album of my on the bike though :P

27 Oct 2020 14:03

profile-image
Pure Savage

Criminal activity comes with a massive inconvenience that being insured doesn't cover for.

Hopefully these recent recoveries is a small step in the right direction.

I do hope so, just hope the next stolen bike that goes in there, they say, no thanks we dont deal in these goods.

27 Oct 2020 14:04

profile-image
MORNE

They were not impressed with my 200 photos on instagram, kept saying the bike could be any bike.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2019-11-28 at 06.20.10.jpeg

I would just have written down or grabbed the serial number with the phone while helping to load it lol. You know it’s yours...

27 Oct 2020 14:06

profile-image
Pikey

Awesome news , hope someone gets a wrap over the knuckles properly . Unfortunately the only way to stop these criminals from bike jacking is not to have an outlet for an easy offload .

Unfortunately it takes patience and perseverance for these bikes to be recovered .

Massive kudos Pure Savage and all involved for following this through to the end and getting a positive result ????????????????

SA needs more of this .

27 Oct 2020 14:12

profile-image
Pure Savage

I would just have written down or grabbed the serial number with the phone while helping to load it lol. You know it’s yours...

ha ha! The assistant got cross I took the photo I did.

27 Oct 2020 14:13

profile-image
leeubok

Dunno if I missed it, but in what condition is your bike? Did the perps and CC at least look after it?

27 Oct 2020 14:26

profile-image
Pure Savage

Dunno if I missed it, but in what condition is your bike? Did the perps and CC at least look after it?

Yes, it no looks no worse condition than being ridden by me into curbs, crashing in PPA races and commuting to work. No cracks, I think there are a few more scratches on the carbon wheels though from the racks.

27 Oct 2020 14:36

profile-image
DieselnDust

it amazes how brazen CC is when it comes to fencing stolen goods.

even in the face of insurmountable proof  of ownership they will try to wiggle out and enforce their right to fence the stolen property. This argument works when trying to recover a stolen hifi or TV or toaster but a high end raciing bicycle is a pretty personalised item. Especially when you have the pro name sticker on the toptube

27 Oct 2020 14:48

profile-image
Thomo

Especially when you have the pro name sticker on the toptube

I remember having a BMX stolen as a kid.

It had a plastic name tag stuck to it which was subsequently removed, but it had been on long enough to leave just enough residue to still make it legible when we got the chop riding it in a nearby neighborhood. :D

27 Oct 2020 15:17

profile-image
MajG

Maybe we should have a dropdown option on stolen notices on the hub

"insured"  & " not insured"

Will save the hubbers from alot of grief for trying to track the bike and getting the owner to go retrieve the found bike.

The other thread got intense due to OP not having the same urgency Pure Savage - welldone on this too.

If its marked as insured then we know atleast what stolen bike is out there, but dont need to be so invested in trying to get OP to go recover.

Just so happy CC got taught a lesson tho- nice work!

27 Oct 2020 15:35

profile-image
ChrisF

I must look at my 2019 DC pics .... I did take a bunch of pics of the PS team ....  MUST be a nice sideways pic of you on the bike .....

27 Oct 2020 15:39

profile-image
Pure Savage

"insured"  & " not insured"

Will save the hubbers from alot of grief for trying to track the bike and getting the owner to go retrieve the found bike.

The other thread got intense due to OP not having the same urgency Pure Savage - welldone on this too.

If its marked as insured then we know atleast what stolen bike is out there, but dont need to be so invested in trying to get OP to go recover.

I think we should be stopping any re sale of stolen goods. Otherwise it creates the market.

27 Oct 2020 15:40

profile-image
Pure Savage

From going through the effort, I am sure CC know what a mission it is for previous owners to get officer and insurance company to get the stolen goods.

27 Oct 2020 15:42

profile-image
MajG

From going through the effort, I am sure CC know what a mission it is for previous owners to get officer and insurance company to get the stolen goods.

and this is why other folks who got insurance to pay out wont go to the measures and effort that you did.

Then we got some hubbers getting passionate about it, whilst OP not too concerned.

I agree, we need to stop every possible re sale or acceptance of an stolen goods.

Often people dont have ownership papers of bikes they bought second hand tho (more to the entry level under R10k 2nd hand deals)

27 Oct 2020 15:46

profile-image
Patchelicious

Was it because most of them are taken from the wrong side of the solid white line?

27 Oct 2020 15:49

profile-image
Pure Savage

Was it because most of them are taken from the wrong side of the solid white line?

No, he was not a Karen.

27 Oct 2020 15:50

profile-image
TNT1

Meh. Looks like a Raleigh in that pic. 

27 Oct 2020 15:54

profile-image
MORNE

"insured" & " not insured"

But then how many if these insured bikes are actually ‘stolen’ vs ‘helped to get lost’. Thats what the friction might be implying in other threads, at least from my side. Why i’m vocal about people ‘dining and dashing’ on hete so to speak. It sometimes feels on the surface like stolen bikes get listed on here for the sake of showing some sort of attempt to look for it in case they get asked. Meanwhile back at the ranch...it’s easy to leave a bike unsupervised on a bike rack or unlocked in your garden if its new bike time or you need to free up some cash. Again...devils advocate, nothing more.

27 Oct 2020 16:05

profile-image
MajG

But then how many if these insured bikes are actually ‘stolen’ vs ‘helped to get lost’. Thats what the friction might be implying in other threads, at least from my side. Why i’m vocal about people ‘dining and dashing’ on hete so to speak. It sometimes feels on the surface like stolen bikes get listed on here for the sake of showing some sort of attempt to look for it in case they get asked. Meanwhile back at the ranch...it’s easy to leave a bike unsupervised on a bike rack or unlocked in your garden if its new bike time or you need to free up some cash. Again...devils advocate, nothing more.

This is a possibility aswell, but i guess we cant do much about that - peoples intentions as if they doing that karma will find them and their new bike will get stolen etc

OP's with a lack of enthusiasm will defnitly deter hubbers from trying to locate a stolen bike and thats not good either

Atleast we know what bikes we should or shouldnt buy.

27 Oct 2020 16:16

profile-image
ChrisF

Some PS 2019 DC pics ....

post-110956-0-61825700-1603810249_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-36607600-1603810277_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-55039900-1603810296_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-92969700-1603810314_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-24438600-1603810332_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-99874600-1603810350_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-76981800-1603810370_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-87091900-1603810386_thumb.jpg

27 Oct 2020 16:53

profile-image
Kranswurm

???what has this got to do with stolen bikes.........

27 Oct 2020 18:19

profile-image
Andreas_187

Great result

27 Oct 2020 19:46

profile-image
Pure Savage

Shot for the pics!!

27 Oct 2020 20:43

profile-image
Patchelicious

That's the biggest TREK decal I have ever seen. 

27 Oct 2020 20:45

profile-image
DieselnDust

Deleted. Must remember to refresh feed before respondonhg....

27 Oct 2020 21:50

profile-image
Vishal72

I do hope so, just hope the next stolen bike that goes in there, they say, no thanks we dont deal in these goods.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen, dealing in stolen goods seems to be part of their business model.

My story is similar to yours and happened 3 years ago.

Bike was stolen from my garage and reported as stolen on the hub.

Tipoff from a hubber after spotting the bike on Facebook a week later.

Setup a sting with the investigating officer after getting the seller to meet at the CC Parklands.

To my surprise the fence turned out to be a seemingly innocent looking suburban housewife who lived a few hundred meters down the road from me...

She turned out to have quite a history of criminal behaviour.

Met her in court again, but the case of possession of stolen goods against her was adjourned as CC put the incorrect serial number on their statement...

It was a lot of effort but I was determined to get my bike back even though it was insured.

post-81698-0-47185900-1603863121_thumb.jpeg

post-81698-0-16198400-1603863891_thumb.jpeg

post-81698-0-26694600-1603863902_thumb.jpeg

post-81698-0-35065200-1603864123_thumb.jpeg

post-81698-0-50182800-1603864132_thumb.jpg

28 Oct 2020 07:51

profile-image
GhostSixFour

That's the biggest TREK decal I have ever seen. 

Must've gotten a discount for advertising the brand so much.

28 Oct 2020 08:00

profile-image
MajG

Unfortunately this is not going to happen, dealing in stolen goods seems to be part of their business model.

My story is similar to yours and happened 3 years ago.

Bike was stolen from my garage and reported as stolen on the hub.

Tipoff from a hubber after spotting the bike on Facebook a week later.

Setup a sting with the investigating officer after getting the seller to meet at the CC Parklands.

To my surprise the fence turned out to be a seemingly innocent looking suburban housewife who lived a few hundred meters down the road from me...

She turned out to have quite a history of criminal behaviour.

Met her in court again, but the case of possession of stolen goods against her was adjourned as CC put the incorrect serial number on their statement...

It was a lot of effort but I was determined to get my bike back even though it was insured.

so even our local housewives dealing in stolen items, eish not cool.

glad it got recovered though, but seems Cash converters are common denominator in most cases.

28 Oct 2020 08:54

profile-image
lechatnoir

I think we should be stopping any re sale of stolen goods. Otherwise it creates the market.

that's a socio-economic question for the ages. Solve that, and you're writing your own cheques

28 Oct 2020 08:56

profile-image
Vaultboy

My bike is like 16 years old - an Avalanche AX250, and it has spent the last 10 years in storage, because I got clipped by a car and was too scared ride again after that. I've only now taken it upon myself to start riding again....so I figured start off with a 2nd hand bike, but man, 60% of the deals on FB look dodgy AF. To the point where I'm wondering if buying 2nd hand is a good idea at all - even off the hub. 

I agree with you guys that the market needs to be shut down, but here's another perspective: Everyone has a cellphone - not because they can afford it, but because there's so many stolen ones floating around. My gardener and domestic worker, for example, have probably each been robbed of their cellphones at least 3 times this year, only to buy another shitty smartphone (with a cracked screen, most of the time). And smartphones are pretty indispensable - they need it. If all of these stolen bikes ended up actually being used to commute, I wouldn't mind so much. But where do these stolen bikes actually go? Who buys them? That end of the market needs to be squeezed as well. 

28 Oct 2020 17:19

profile-image
Thomo

But where do these stolen bikes actually go?

Most of them to Milnerton CC apparently...

28 Oct 2020 17:22

profile-image
ChrisF

My bike is like 16 years old - an Avalanche AX250, and it has spent the last 10 years in storage, because I got clipped by a car and was too scared ride again after that. I've only now taken it upon myself to start riding again....so I figured start off with a 2nd hand bike, but man, 60% of the deals on FB look dodgy AF. To the point where I'm wondering if buying 2nd hand is a good idea at all - even off the hub.

I agree with you guys that the market needs to be shut down, but here's another perspective: Everyone has a cellphone - not because they can afford it, but because there's so many stolen ones floating around. My gardener and domestic worker, for example, have probably each been robbed of their cellphones at least 3 times this year, only to buy another shitty smartphone (with a cracked screen, most of the time). And smartphones are pretty indispensable - they need it. If all of these stolen bikes ended up actually being used to commute, I wouldn't mind so much. But where do these stolen bikes actually go? Who buys them? That end of the market needs to be squeezed as well.

Welcome to the Hub

It CAN be safe to buy a 2nd hand bike, here or on FB. Tell the seller you are concerned with the high number of stolen bikes, and ask if he mind sharing some form of ownership ... in fact, many bikes comes with transferable warrantee for which the original has to hand over various documents

And NO, it will never ever be "acceptable" that we get robbed at knife point, having our lives threatened ... so somebody gets to commute with our bike .... last week a rider got so badly beaten up while they robbed his bike that he ended in ICU ....

MANY of us have donated bikes, helmets, etc to commuters .... but dont endanger our lives to steal it.

28 Oct 2020 17:32

profile-image
Vaultboy

Most of them to Milnerton CC apparently...

Yeah, I meant after that, obviously.  ^_^

Btw, I've sold stuff to that CC - not bikes other household stuff. They are pretty shitty. I've ended up at Edgemead, who give better prices. 

28 Oct 2020 17:36

profile-image
Vaultboy

Welcome to the Hub

It CAN be safe to buy a 2nd hand bike, here or on FB. Tell the seller you are concerned with the high number of stolen bikes, and ask if he mind sharing some form of ownership ... in fact, many bikes comes with transferable warrantee for which the original has to hand over various documents

And NO, it will never ever be "acceptable" that we get robbed at knife point, having our lives threatened ... so somebody gets to commute with our bike .... last week a rider got so badly beaten up while they robbed his bike that he ended in ICU ....

MANY of us have donated bikes, helmets, etc to commuters .... but dont endanger our lives to steal it.

Yeah, i wasn't condoning robbery or theft. My previous bike was stolen, and I've been mugged or shaken down plenty of times. Its a South African reality. My point was merely that the market needs to shut down at the top end as well. From the lessons in these couple of threads over the last few days, its pretty clear that there's no interest in that from authorities or insurers. 

28 Oct 2020 17:43

profile-image
Pure Savage

The other bike at Milnerton cash crusaders has been confiscated by the police. The lady whose bike it was went through the same uphill with CC to get the bike confiscated. Also went along with the police and had it removed. There are now 2 less stolen bikes for sale in Cape Town.

The Hub played a big roll in this as made the info available for us to get peoples details etc. Worth the yearly premium :)

29 Oct 2020 11:46

profile-image
Jbr

The other bike at Milnerton cash crusaders has been confiscated by the police. The lady whose bike it was went through the same uphill with CC to get the bike confiscated. Also went along with the police and had it removed. There are now 2 less stolen bikes for sale in Cape Town.

The Hub played a big roll in this as made the info available for us to get peoples details etc. Worth the yearly premium :)

I just finally pulled the trigger on getting my Scalpel insured, even if I must insure it for double the amount I paid for it... 

All these stories are freaking me out....

I hope once the police confiscates it it's not too much of a mission to get it back from them ? Seems that with insurance everything is always so slow... a mate of mine was involved in an accident about 2/3 months ago and still hasn't been paid off since...

29 Oct 2020 11:50

profile-image
Pure Savage

I just finally pulled the trigger on getting my Scalpel insured, even if I must insure it for double the amount I paid for it... 

I hope once the police confiscates it it's not too much of a mission to get it back from them ? Seems that with insurance everything is always so slow... a mate of mine was involved in an accident about 2/3 months ago and still hasn't been paid off since...

The intial pay out would have been a lot faster had they not tried to tell me a Trek with 30mm rims was the same as a Cannondale with 45mm rims. After that they paid out quick.

Now I understand that I have to provide enough evidence to the police that the bike is infact "mine" Once they are happy that the item was mine, they will inform CC that the bike will not be returned and Insurance can go collect. (This time frame I have no idea of - I will find out in the next week)

29 Oct 2020 11:55

profile-image
The Ouzo

what will happen to them at the cop shop though, my guess is that they will disappear. 

29 Oct 2020 11:56

profile-image
Pure Savage

what will happen to them at the cop shop though, my guess is that they will disappear. 

No, from what I have heard from the insurance investigator is that make very well sure that they get their asset. 

Also, my detective was a lekker oke and I dont believe he would be involved in such behaviours, I have heard nothing but recommendations about him in our community as well. 

29 Oct 2020 12:10

profile-image
ChrisF

Nope, sounds like your budy has cr@p insurance ..... 

Another Hubber wrote off his bike in an accident a few weeks back.  Think he got paid out in one week - SANTAM.

29 Oct 2020 12:29

profile-image
dev null

After this my son is asking me how much to insure his Cannondales. His SuperSix roady is quite old and probably not worth it. His Scalpel Si is worth a bit more.

29 Oct 2020 12:34

profile-image
ChrisF

After this my son is asking me how much to insure his Cannondales. His SuperSix roady is quite old and probably not worth it. His Scalpel Si is worth a bit more.

Many of us are paying in the order of R 150 per month for a R50k bike, as part of insurance on home, car, etc.

The real trick is to make 110% sure of "current value" vs "replacement value", especially if the bike is no longer "stock standard", in which case you need a detailed quote from bike shop ....

best to do this via a broker, to make sure you are covered properly and correctly.

29 Oct 2020 12:46

profile-image
DieselnDust

Insure both for replacement value. Don't try to make an old low tier bike into a high tier bike. Like for modern like and your buddy will be fine.

29 Oct 2020 13:07

profile-image
Dicky DQ

Research and understand the terms of your contract. I am sure others have said the same. 

You can insure you bike for whatever value, it is normally a specified item, so they will pay out what you have insured for. I may be wring but in all my cases (SANAM the guys that pay,...... and charge)

They have paid out the insured value in ZAR; Period. 

PS I also use a broker.

29 Oct 2020 13:18

profile-image
Dicky DQ

We noted that it was never recorded. It would make it a lot easier. 

I am not sure HOW much proof you need. 

They going to get a photo album of my on the bike though :P

it amazes how brazen CC is when it comes to fencing stolen goods.

even in the face of insurmountable proof  of ownership they will try to wiggle out and enforce their right to fence the stolen property. This argument works when trying to recover a stolen hifi or TV or toaster but a high end raciing bicycle is a pretty personalised item. Especially when you have the pro name sticker on the toptube

Not really, the staff are the same and the item is just another item, your passion for the item is of no consequence (try telling that to the insurance whew trying to get a higher pay-out)

Why should there be a higher level of scrutiny for a bicycle (that is perceived to be worth 1o to 15k tops) than a set of tools worth the same perceived value?

Just because you are passionate and buy into the hype and pay over market value does not mean that it has a perceived value to joe public.

29 Oct 2020 13:28

profile-image
Pure Savage

Not really, the staff are the same and the item is just another item, your passion for the item is of no consequence (try telling that to the insurance whew trying to get a higher pay-out)

Why should there be a higher level of scrutiny for a bicycle (that is perceived to be worth 1o to 15k tops) than a set of tools worth the same perceived value?

Just because you are passionate and buy into the hype and pay over market value does not mean that it has a perceived value to joe public.

Because the store manager knew exactly how much the bike would sell for normally as he told the police it was worth around R35k but wanted a quick sale.(this is when he was arguing for it not to get confiscated)

It was the most expensive item in the shop by a long way. 

These shops are not as ignorant as people make them out to be.  

29 Oct 2020 13:43

profile-image
The Ouzo

Because the store manager knew exactly how much the bike would sell for normally as he told the police it was worth around R35k but wanted a quick sale.(this is when he was arguing for it not to get confiscated)

correct, before they offer you anything for an item they need to know its market value, if they dont know the market value themselves they will have a contact that will give them the market value.

They dont just thumbsuck a price for an item

29 Oct 2020 14:05

profile-image
Pure Savage

correct, before they offer you anything for an item they need to know its market value, if they dont know the market value themselves they will have a contact that will give them the market value.

They dont just thumbsuck a price for an item

Agreed, their business is also low margins, high turnover. So they know some of the stuff they just want to convert it to cash as quick as possible. 

29 Oct 2020 14:13

profile-image
Jbr

Agreed, their business is also low margins, high turnover. So they know some of the stuff they just want to convert it to cash as quick as possible. 

especially if they suspect it might be stolen :D

29 Oct 2020 14:15

profile-image
dave303e

Expensive bikes still, which means it is not commuters buying a lot of these stolen higher end bikes, it is people in our riding circles happy for a bargain at the expense of guys like you getting robbed.

Next time someone is gloating about a bargain bike on a group ride, watch their face when you ask them if they checked if it was stolen or not...

29 Oct 2020 14:33

profile-image
DieselnDust

Expensive bikes still, which means it is not commuters buying a lot of these stolen higher end bikes, it is people in our riding circles happy for a bargain at the expense of guys like you getting robbed.

Next time someone is gloating about a bargain bike on a group ride, watch their face when you ask them if they checked if it was stolen or not...

indeed, I often wonder how those bargain hunters sleep at night knowing that they've bought stolen property or someone else's misery as it would be.

Then there's those peeps who will buy the fenced stolen bikes, strip them down, move parts around between bikes and then sell them off as legit 2nd hand or used.

I'm depressing myself, time for another coffee shot

29 Oct 2020 15:01

profile-image
Wannabe

Brendon, I heard that you guys were attacked this morning and a bike taken.

If this is the case, I hope you are OK, and that no physical harm came to you.

01 Nov 2020 08:42

profile-image
bertusras

01 Nov 2020 09:01

profile-image
Patchelicious

Again! WTF

His insurance company is going to to start getting suspicious.

Heal up Brenda!

01 Nov 2020 09:19

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

FFS, heal up.  This is absolutely dispicable

01 Nov 2020 09:45

profile-image
dev null

I am starting to suspect that maybe this was a targeted attack. Why would they crash into the rider only to take the smashed bike? I suspect ulterior motives by the perps. Maybe friends of someone with a CC shop?

Heal up and don't let the bastards grind you down.

EDIT: I hope they find them, and then you can add a charge of attempted murder on them. Things could have gone south badly if they hit you wrong.

01 Nov 2020 10:50

profile-image
DJuice

Heal up Brendon.

Hope this is unrelated.

Keep safe!

01 Nov 2020 10:59

profile-image
Veebee

Things are crazy down there.

Heal up soon man.

01 Nov 2020 11:27

profile-image
MORNE

????...

01 Nov 2020 11:40

profile-image
Let's Ride

Hmm. Yes does sound suspicious. I think you could be onto something.

01 Nov 2020 13:52

profile-image
splat

I am starting to suspect that maybe this was a targeted attack. Why would they crash into the rider only to take the smashed bike? I suspect ulterior motives by the perps. Maybe friends of someone with a CC shop?

Same comment on the 'Cyclist Assaulted' thread:

It may be coincidental.

One our DC team riders was knocked off his bike by a car in Plumstead a few weeks ago. They jumped out and grabbed his backpack and bike, but left it as was broken.

A guy in Durbanville had a similar incident a few weeks ago.

Not a very clever method as both times, the bikes weren't taken as they were too damaged.

01 Nov 2020 14:17

profile-image
Pure Savage

Unrelated. Just finished my police statement for crash. Have to go to fill in statement for this bike tomorrow.

01 Nov 2020 15:31

profile-image
Patchelicious

Unrelated. Just finished my police statement for crash. Have to go to fill in statement for this bike tomorrow.

You and Adrian Gore must be on a first name basis by now.

01 Nov 2020 15:36

profile-image
MDJ

Very sad to hear about the attack this morning Brendon, hope you heal up soon and manage to still make the DC  :(. Sickening and frustrating for all cyclists - lets hope law enforcement does its work and there are repercussions for the culprits.

I'm sure the Cape Town cycling community will lend you our support in any way we can - we cannot let these thugs destroy the sport we love in such a beautiful city.  :thumbdown:

01 Nov 2020 15:48

profile-image
Pure Savage

Very sad to hear about the attack this morning Brendon, hope you heal up soon and manage to still make the DC :(. Sickening and frustrating for all cyclists - lets hope law enforcement does its work and there are repercussions for the culprits.

I'm sure the Cape Town cycling community will lend you our support in any way we can - we cannot let these thugs destroy the sport we love in such a beautiful city. :thumbdown:

The whole cycling community has been amazing. As soon as I can sit on a saddle will start riding!!

01 Nov 2020 22:18

profile-image
NotSoBigBen

So sorry to hear that @Pure Savage, maak my so kwaad ek soen 'n mamba sommer oopmond [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

02 Nov 2020 07:23

profile-image
Pure Savage

So, while I am booked off sick and had to go to one police station yesterday, I had a rest then went to my local one where this bike was stolen. I completed my final statement identifying the bike, my amazing detective could not believe I could recall from memory all the parts can scratches on the bike. 

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks this will be case closed and bike out of police custody.

04 Nov 2020 06:26