Craighall Park, Gauteng

Incident type:

Scam or Fraud

Police Station:

Parkview

Case Number:

CAS 60/7/2020

More about the incident:

On Thursday 2020-06-26 , I published a sale notice on the social media platform Facebook Marketplace for a Cinelli Xperience Road Bike for R9,000. On Thursday 2020-07-02 I was contacted through this platform by a black male, who identified himself as Mr Olebogeng Molebatsi. Mr Molebatsi enquired if the above bicycle was still available and requested that I communicate with his father on WhatsApp messenger on the cell phone number 078 720 8698. The fathers identified to me as Denzel. I contacted who I believed to be the father on the above cell phone number. An engagement ensued where he questioned the condition and pricing but agreed to proceed with the purchase and he confirmed in writing that payment of R9,000 had been made.  At 09:05 on 2020-07-02 I received an automated message from Nedbank confirming the R9,000 payment from MJ Electricals. Believing I had been paid in good faith I agreed to allow for collection that afternoon. Neither the father nor Mr Molebatsi arrived to collect but rather a e-hailing cab believed to be associated with the e-hailing company Bolt.  No monies have reflected in my bank account since this date and Mr Olebogeng Molebatsi and his father are no longer responsive to numerous messages Facebook and WhatsApp. I have also attempted to call MJ Electricals on 011 953 6474 but the listed number does not connect. On 2020-07-02 I confirmed with Nedbank that they do not have record of the transaction and are unable to verify it.

profile-image
mmarshall020

Craighall Park, Gauteng