Brand:

Soma

Model:

Valhallen

Year:

Colour:

Silver

More about the bike:

2018 Soma Valhallen Size XL- Tange prestige Steel frame ( silver)
Pretty sure this is the only one in the country so please be on the look out.  - Carver Trail490 carbon Boost fork
- 29" Sun Ringle rims (decals removed) on Hope Pro4 Boost hubs front and back (silver)
- Shimano Saint groupset (1x10)
- Shimano Deore m6000 brakset, 180mm/160mm icetech rotors
- Hope headset, seat clamp, chainring (black)
- Schwalbe tyres (Hans Dampf front, rock razor rear), KCNC valve caps.
- Oveja Negra Frame bag and top tube bag.
- Lyne bottle holders - had one black water bottle in the bike. Wolftooth B-Rad under the bottle holder on the seat tube.
- Raceface turbine stem, seatpost. Dartmoor riser bars.
- Rider concept light on the front with a Knog on the rear
- SQ labs grips, Quadlock phone mount on the stem (phone was still on there)
- Look race Spd pedals
- cdixx mudguard  [sharedmedia=core:attachments:1670392]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1616533]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:1523573]

Incident details

Date of incident:

05/09/2020

Cape Farms, Western Cape

Incident type:

Bike Jacking / Mugging

Police Station:

Durbanville

Case Number:

CAS 57/9/2020

More about the incident:

Got bike jacked this morning on countermand road just before postmansdam rod around 7:30.
Approaching a pedestrian, I felt uncomfortable with his body language and decided to go to the other side of the road, once he saw me crossing the road he decided to charge me with a knife. He was aiming for my head.
I rode the bike into the servitude and in the process jumped off the rear of the bike and him he can have it, just not to hurt me. I threw the bike into him and ran the opposite direction. Luckily I was not harmed. literally 1 minute later I flagged down a car (Thanks Mr Deon Venter) who offered to help....and not even 1 minute after that a group of about 10 mountain bikers came from hoogekraals side, and another lone cyclist that was probably 2 minutes behind me. They did not see the person on my bike so Deon then said he obviously went down postman's to Dunoons. So we drove around to the N7...and low and behold...there he was cruising next to the n7 on my bike. we could not get to him because of his location on the road, he then disappeared off the highway into Dunoon.
iPhone 7 (my bike computer) stolen too.  reported at durbanville police station.

profile-image
MORNE

Cape Farms, Western Cape

profile-image
Hairy

Flip Morne, really sorry for your loss!

05 Sep 2020 11:24

profile-image
Hairy

I have circulated to people I know

05 Sep 2020 11:26

profile-image
VeloRacer

sorry to hear. 

Same road where there was attempted bike jacking on me.

3 guys in a Nissan 1400 tried their luck. I managed to getaway.

They also fled in direction Du Noon

05 Sep 2020 12:04

profile-image
Sid the Sloth

Sorry to hear this Morne. Glad you made it out relatively unscathed. Hopefully the bike turns up.

05 Sep 2020 12:26

profile-image
Wannabe

This is not good news at all.

Strongs Morne, hope your bike pops up again.

05 Sep 2020 15:18

profile-image
Colin Pym

Man, this is not good to read. I, as do many, cycle that road many times on my own...☹️. Pleased to read you got out unscathed.

05 Sep 2020 15:36

profile-image
ChrisF

Morne that sucks !!

Please consider some therapy .... dont let them steal your peace of mind as well ....

05 Sep 2020 18:39

profile-image
Bateleur1

Sorry to hear Morne :(

06 Sep 2020 16:55

profile-image
MORNE

ugh thanks.

second time. there wont be a third unfortunately.... i'll be adding our names to the braindrain list once everything is up and running properly again. 

anyway...PTSD rant over.

it's not my first rodeo, and although it was still traumatic thinking about how it could have been instead....i'm actually quite calm about it now, and i'm glad i reacted the way I did this time (more flight than fight). Confided in the family...cried it all out like you should, and i feel better about it and the decisions I have to make after this. 

Also, thanks to everyone who stopped when i was standing in the middle of the road. What I didnt mention in the post was that the first car that stopped was a black lady but she had a little kid with her so i didn't want to spook the child. Thanks.  

The second car was a youngish woman but she was a bit apprehensive to stop, being alone and all...i don't blame you...no worries, and again, thanks Deon for trying to help chase the f@cker down and taking me home afterwards. 

And yes...it really was this crowded in a span of a few minutes. He timed his attack to perfection and knew exactly where he was going. If I left home 3 minutes later or didn't smash the hill up to nitida like i did....the guy who stopped on his bike with the first car would have been the victim. if it happened 2 minutes later...the group of mountain bikers from Hoogies would have come to the rescue i'm sure.

But guys...they have that piece of road figured out now it seems. Mine wont be the last. They obviously walk/loiter just on the crest of the hill past the first quarry where the trees are....so you are not at speed when you summit. Then they use Postmans dam road down to the n7 and cruise home on the construction sites bordering Dunoon at the moment. Easy pickings. Be vigilant.

You cant ride there alone anymore....it all seemed to well planned. I ride that piece offroad 4 times a weekend. I've ridden it 100's of times...on my own. Deon works at the industrial park there in contioes and he says they literally break in there every night at this stage....steeling materials off buildings...even a fricken CAT bulldoser one morning...drove it straight out the front gate. 

the zombie apocalypse is here to stay....

06 Sep 2020 19:37

profile-image
NickGM

Sorry to hear Morne. Not much else to say beyond the usual cliches: at least you're ok and seem to be processing the whole thing with your usual honesty. 

06 Sep 2020 20:13

profile-image
Andreas_187

I say we stake the place out

06 Sep 2020 21:18

profile-image
Wayne pudding Mol

Geez Morne this sucks and I’m glad you are ok

07 Sep 2020 07:07

profile-image
MORNE

phone was still pinging in this are around 11 when i went to the police. They didnt want to go there though....figures. why would they care about another white guys bike getting stolen lol....especially when the people next to me were reporting a hijacking....

post-64325-0-11620600-1599468869_thumb.png

07 Sep 2020 10:56

profile-image
Hairy

phone was still pinging in this are around 11 when i went to the police. They didnt want to go there though....figures. why would they care about another white guys bike getting stolen lol....especially when the people next to me were reporting a hijacking....

I see it is near the ABSA bank ... wonder if they are trying to draw money from your account?

07 Sep 2020 11:58

profile-image
gummibear

Eish...sorry to hear this.Glad you are ok though.

07 Sep 2020 12:00

profile-image
MORNE

I see it is near the ABSA bank ... wonder if they are trying to draw money from your account?

probably...but everything is/was password protected so they couldnt get into the phone even if that was the plan, not to mention the app (which uses my biometrics too). and then i bricked it in anycase over icloud so its a paperweight now.

07 Sep 2020 12:03

profile-image
Hairy

probably...but everything is/was password protected so they couldnt get into the phone even if that was the plan, not to mention the app (which uses my biometrics too). and then i bricked it in anycase over icloud so its a paperweight now.

these guys must have been really really desperate to actually steel an iPhone ... surprised they did not offer you an Android device to help you out :P

07 Sep 2020 12:05

profile-image
MORNE

these guys must have been really really desperate to actually steel an iPhone ... surprised they did not offer you an Android device to help you out :P

hahaha...so i was given an android device  (to use in the interim) which i was totally fine with...but then soon realised that i will be totally shut out of my existing 'ecosystem'...(computers etc) with no way of getting info, subscriptions, emails etc onto the android device so had to go buy a new one...well we bought the wife a new one and i took her old one.

Say what you want...once you experience the seamless bliss of switching on a brand device, computer, ipad, whatever and everything is on there like you were never even away without doing anything other than typing a password - never gets old... :P

07 Sep 2020 12:12

profile-image
Shebeen

Stolen: Soma Valhallen 2018

When: 5 September 2020

Where: Cape Town, Western Cape

Got bike jacked this morning on countermand road just before postmansdam rod around 7:30.

Approaching a pedestrian, I felt uncomfortable with his body language and decided to go to the other side of the road, once he saw me crossing the road he decided to charge me with a knife. He was aiming for my head.

I rode the bike into the servitude and in the process jumped off the rear of the bike and him he can have it, just not to hurt me. I threw the bike into him and ran the opposite direction. Luckily I was not harmed. literally 1 minute later I flagged down a car (Thanks Mr Deon Venter) who offered to help....and not even 1 minute after that a group of about 10 mountain bikers came from hoogekraals side, and another lone cyclist that was probably 2 minutes behind me. They did not see the person on my bike so Deon then said he obviously went down postman's to Dunoons. So we drove around to the N7...and low and behold...there he was cruising next to the n7 on my bike. we could not get to him because of his location on the road, he then disappeared off the highway into Dunoon.

iPhone 7 (my bike computer) stolen too.

reported at durbanville police station.

Get further details about the incident in the Stolen Bikes section

that really sucks, I'm hoping we don't see a sharp rise in this sort of crime, even though it has been expected all of lockdown.

here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.8079544,18.54433,15.75z

i feel a little uneasy even driving there,

edit, saw the actual location on the post, my whoops.

07 Sep 2020 12:47

profile-image
Pure Savage

So sorry to hear about this. Glad the flight not fight kicked in. 

07 Sep 2020 12:58

profile-image
Bateleur1

that really sucks, I'm hoping we don't see a sharp rise in this sort of crime, even though it has been expected all of lockdown.

here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.8079544,18.54433,15.75z

i feel a little uneasy even driving there,

edit, saw the actual location on the post, my whoops.

Just seeing the number of Hubbers being hit it is pretty obvious there is already a sharp rise.

07 Sep 2020 13:09

profile-image
MORNE

Just seeing the number of Hubbers being hit it is pretty obvious there is already a sharp rise.

and its happening in places that aren't necessarily considered dodge or secluded or whatever. The whole weekend i was just thinking about what would have happened if the group of cyclists arrived on the scene those minutes earlier. Probably nothing in that he would have not tried anything...but still, that road is so crowded with cyclists on their way to all the trail networks...and car with bikes on them..especially that time of the morning...it's like cycling rush hour. Even leaving the warehouse later (Deon had to go do something at his office first) there were tons of guys and gals going up that same piece of road where it just happened to me. it would almost be the equivalent of bike jacking someone inside bloemendal on a sunny sunday morning...

07 Sep 2020 13:56

profile-image
Jbr

so sorry, that's scary to read...

I cycled this road so many times on my Road bike or MTB at way more quiet hours, I feel super lucky now, will definitely think twice next time... Probably just drive to the trails...

07 Sep 2020 14:08

profile-image
MORNE

so sorry, that's scary to read...

I cycled this road so many times on my Road bike or MTB at way more quiet hours, I feel super lucky now, will definitely think twice next time... Probably just drive to the trails...

me too...i've ridden it in pitch black darkness at 5:30 in the morning...and as mentioned, my weekend loops are that way (or visa versa), around to faircape farms malanshoogte back via Adderley, spes bona, klipheuwel rd...back to dbville. and i never felt unsafe due to the frequency of cyclists on that loop. 

The fact that Posmansdam Rd is closed with that farm gate business there makes it a perfect getaway road on a stolen bike imo. 

07 Sep 2020 14:30

profile-image
gummibear

So many unique bikes that are stolen but never recovered.

What happens to the bikes?

07 Sep 2020 15:42

profile-image
MORNE

So many unique bikes that are stolen but never recovered.

What happens to the bikes?

i asked the copper that took my statement the exact same question....he claims the bikes mostly just end up staying in the locations....since the people there mostly don't know the value of the bikes and don't bat an eye if another local cruises around on said bike. 

07 Sep 2020 15:54

profile-image
Robbie Stewart

Morne, I am sorry to hear about your ordeal and hope you get to deal with the trauma an event like this causes. I stay in Sunningdale and currently have my house in the market. I am considering moving to Durbanville rather as this Dunoon cr@p is getting too much now. I used to ride past there on weekends on solo missions all the time. Last time I came down from Contermans across the N7 and there were some people putting up shack right by the road. I sped up as I approaced on the opposite side to where they were, but they all stopped what they were doing and watched me pass like a lion watches is prey deciding if the hunt is worth it. That was hours before the hard lockdown in March.

Sadly, I will not be riding there again. Now I drive to the trail heads, park where it's safe, and stay on the farms with people knowing my whereabouts and e.t.a.

I am also considering leaving this sh 1 thole country for good.

07 Sep 2020 16:54

profile-image
MORNE

jip..it's unfortunate. And for our foreign members....it literally happened a few hundred meters away from these pics I took on a previous ride on that road this year....so not exactly Mordor lol

post-64325-0-61773300-1599491106_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-48170000-1599491117_thumb.jpeg

07 Sep 2020 17:05

profile-image
Robbie Stewart

question:

Should I come across this bike pedalling around here, should I "step" on it (and its rider) with my 4x4, or should I "report" it?

07 Sep 2020 17:06

profile-image
MORNE

question:

Should I come across this bike pedalling around here, should I "step" on it (and its rider) with my 4x4, or should I "report" it?

i'll forgive you if it somehow ends up under your 4x4 :ph34r:

it would have died a noble death...

my sister lives in your part of the woods and she apparently circulated it on the local neighbourhood watch groups or something.

07 Sep 2020 17:09

profile-image
Hairy

i'll forgive you if it somehow ends up under your 4x4 :ph34r:

it would have died a noble death...

my sister lives in your part of the woods and she apparently circulated it on the local neighbourhood watch groups or something.

I am also out this way and have done the same on groups I have contact with, one of them a very large security firm who's owner lives around the corner from me.

07 Sep 2020 18:01

profile-image
Bomberman

question:

post-59319-0-06196300-1599511690_thumb.gif

07 Sep 2020 22:48

profile-image
Hairy

question:

that gif is flipping funny

08 Sep 2020 08:31

profile-image
the nerd

Im so sorry to hear about this, such a cool bike lost to the world! 

Pisses me off so much

08 Sep 2020 09:33

profile-image
MORNE

update: it's not friday yet....we have a lead.

security company were informed by a ground informant about a guy trying to offload a silver bike that he 'acquired' on saturday. They claim to know who he is and where he lives. He is apparently a known bike thief in the area. I have provided them more info.

please hold them thumbs!!!

08 Sep 2020 12:17

profile-image
Jbr

Please can some company make a device that we can remotely activate with a battery in the seat tube and two brass nodes in the saddle, so that we can fry those mofos balls once they leave with our bikes ?

08 Sep 2020 12:27

profile-image
the nerd

Please can some company make a device that we can remotely activate with a battery in the seat tube and two brass nodes in the saddle, so that we can fry those mofos balls once they leave with our bikes ?

They do, its more polymer and steel, carries some brass, also stops them dead. 

08 Sep 2020 12:54

profile-image
MORNE

UPDATE:

so they caught another guy I initially thought to not have anything to do with it. He was walking in the vicinity of the guy who attacked me but didn't partake (or help now that i think about it) in the 'festivities'...we naturally (by deduction...right or wrong) asked him where his buddy was going afterwards and he refuted at the time that the guy was his buddy and he had nothin to do with what just happened. We believed him...

well it turns out he did know something (also apparently an old skelm)....he's blabbing out the whole story to the security company at the moment.

i just want my fn bike back though :cursing:  :cursing:

08 Sep 2020 13:17

profile-image
MORNE

Update:

the one they caught corroborated the whole story. they did know each other. They were on their way to go to a stash of stolen syuff next to the road in the field there when i passed them and the other guy stormed me. they had cash on them. they sold my bike to a guy who owns a woodworking shop in dunoon...they are heading there now.

edit: they handed him over to the coppers.

08 Sep 2020 13:36

profile-image
Hairy

Update:

the one they caught corroborated the whole story. they did know each other. They were on their way to go to a stash of stolen syuff next to the road in the field there when i passed them and the other guy stormed me. they had cash on them. they sold my bike to a guy who owns a woodworking shop in dunoon...they are heading there now.

Flipping awesome ... what was the security co. that helped you please?

08 Sep 2020 13:57

profile-image
MajG

Update:

and.....please say your bike is at that woodshop

08 Sep 2020 13:59

profile-image
Jewbacca

The wood shop guy who bought it... yoh!

08 Sep 2020 14:14

profile-image
Hairy

The wood shop guy who bought it... yoh!

Given that it was a fully rigid with a Carbon Carver fork and a month long holiday's worth of packing space with those bags, the wood shop buy must have certainly paid too much for the bike :P

08 Sep 2020 14:25

profile-image
MORNE

Flipping awesome ... what was the security co. that helped you please?

green platoon Security - Adrian (he's been awesome so far) still ongoing but it seems things are gaining traction.

08 Sep 2020 14:28

profile-image
Hairy

green platoon Security - Adrian (he's been awesome so far) still ongoing but it seems things are gaining traction.

holding thumbs Morne!

08 Sep 2020 14:34

profile-image
MORNE

update:

lol...so this **** is like a movie currently.

the first guy apprehended  jumped from the car on the way to dunoon and was chased all the way to the n7..intercepted by metro cops and taken to tableview police station now. the inspector on my case needs to get there now apparently. They have forwarded me photos of both...i won't post them here....but the mugshot photo of the guy who's buddy just ratted him out all but confirms it was him. i was unsure about the the pic of the first guy but he gave himself away by knowing the story.

When i got the photo of the alledged attacker....I almost puked. Funny how your sub conscience remembers the details. Just his eyes also. 

i'll keep updating as i get info.

08 Sep 2020 15:16

profile-image
Jbr

When i got the photo of the alledged attacker....I almost puked. Funny how your sub conscience remembers the details. Just his eyes also. 

My sub conscience sucks then, when I had to ID my attacker I had no idea... I was more looking at the knife than his face though. Hope you find you bike and that the thief gets some love in prison

08 Sep 2020 15:38

profile-image
MORNE

My sub conscience sucks then, when I had to ID my attacker I had no idea... I was more looking at the knife than his face though. Hope you find you bike and that the thief gets some love in prison

oh yes i could ID the knife for sure. the rest was just a bit blurry because of the masks etc. But since he was going for an overhead stab, his face - at least his upper half of his face - was always in view with the knife next to his head....and then it all also happens in less than 10 seconds....and comes back in drips and drabs afterwards. i couldnt even recall exactly what happened right after it happened. I still dont know how i clipped out and slid straight off the back of the bike without even thinking about it lol 

PS: still awaiting further news. i guess they are still waiting on SAPS to pitch...should i hold my breath?....

08 Sep 2020 16:16

profile-image
Shebeen

following!!

08 Sep 2020 16:45

profile-image
MORNE

Update:

still waiting on the police to get in contact with security company. useless lol. They have to go fetch him in table view. jurisdiction BS going on now.

But it sounds like the skollie might be lying about selling the bike....as some of the witnesses on the farm where they caught him said he was pushing it around there on sunday.

anyway...here's to hoping fn SAPS dont screw this up at this critical stage...they cant keep him there indefinitely. And all the hard work has been done for them already....

PS: Welbeloond Farm...that one across from Du Noon/malibongwe

08 Sep 2020 18:26

profile-image
Thomo

I've heard of some security companies who gladly "assist" SAPS with interrogations ... may have had them begging to give your bike back.

The fact that they've been apprehended is pleasing, but also holding thumbs for return of your bike.

08 Sep 2020 20:21

profile-image
LongDonkey

What an exciting but complete F$%#$@#ed up thread. Its like listening to squad cars back in the day!

08 Sep 2020 21:39

profile-image
Bateleur1

Any news?

09 Sep 2020 13:00

profile-image
SL7

I'm sorry for your loss. Hope the bike is retrieved. Surely the iPhone ping is the best lead one can follow?

09 Sep 2020 13:26

profile-image
Rocket-Boy

Man this is getting exciting, if the cops cant find the bike now then they are completely useless.

They have someone who knows all about it and that should be more than enough.

09 Sep 2020 13:29

profile-image
Rocket-Boy

Enjoy  :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQa3FpcFHaw

09 Sep 2020 13:33

profile-image
MORNE

I received some more info this morning, while we wait for SAPS to come to the party they are following some leads pertaining to the original aggressor. His friend knows where he lives but the security guys cant move him from table view to durbanville unless the investigating officer pulls his finger out his ars and cones to the party. Im still hopeful though...these huys have been amazing in following the bread crumbs.

09 Sep 2020 13:38

profile-image
MORNE

Update: they finally got the guy transferred to durbanville police station from table view so hopefully the jurisdiction bureaucracy has come to an end and the wheel can catch some grip again tomorrow. ????

09 Sep 2020 23:02

profile-image
MORNE

update:

so after all the work and effort...the ball finally DID get dropped by SAPS as we all probably knew it would.  :cursing:

Security company was on the way there this morning to provide assistance to the investigating officer and when they got there...SAPS dbville were paying dumb (well were they?...) They didn't take any statements or anything...and because of the tableview/durbanville jurisdiction cockup and the investigator taking his sweet time to go get the guy, the 48h holding time has past this morning...and they let him go. 

FML

I have no faith in the system anymore. <_< They cant even get it done after being handed everything on a platter. Talk about f@rking incompetence....

anyway.

Thanks Adrian from Green Platoon Security - Table View for all the effort.  

10 Sep 2020 10:58

profile-image
Hairy

update:

so after all the work and effort...the ball finally DID get dropped by SAPS as we all probably knew it would.  :cursing:

Security company was on the way there this morning to provide assistance to the investigating officer and when they got there...SAPS dbville were paying dumb (well were they?...) They didn't take any statements or anything...and because of the tableview/durbanville jurisdiction cockup and the investigator taking his sweet time to go get the guy, the 48h holding time has past this morning...and they let him go. 

FML

I have no faith in the system anymore. <_< They cant even get it done after being handed everything on a platter. Talk about f@rking incompetence....

anyway.

Bloody Idiots!!!

10 Sep 2020 11:02

profile-image
Meezo

update:

FML

anyway.

there's a hubber, i don't think very active.

used to race with him back in the day... he's quite high up in the SAPS rank

he might be worth a shout, if of course he still is involved

ps i was mugged about 2kms from my house, the bike was floating around and unlike you i went about the "not so legal" way in trying to retrieve, i got to a point where it became too dangerous and not worth it...

also had bikes stolen off a bike rack from a race, a year or so before i was mugged, we retrieved these bikes but at expense, again following the "not so legal" ways

not so legal - without SAPS

10 Sep 2020 11:10

profile-image
Meezo

there's a hubber, i don't think very active.

used to race with him back in the day... he's quite high up in the SAPS rank

he might be worth a shout, if of course he still is involved

ps i was mugged about 2kms from my house, the bike was floating around and unlike you i went about the "not so legal" way in trying to retrieve, i got to a point where it became too dangerous and not worth it...

also had bikes stolen off a bike rack from a race, a year or so before i was mugged, we retrieved these bikes but at expense, again following the "not so legal" ways

not so legal - without SAPS

ok i just checked he i still active, was online around yesterday!

10 Sep 2020 11:14

profile-image
cadenceblur

update:

FML

anyway.

unbelievable!!!

10 Sep 2020 11:28

profile-image
Rocket-Boy

This whole situation boils my blood, it was literally put together for the police by private security that dont even have all of the available tools the police have.

Despite all of that they managed to screw the whole thing up by being lazy and not caring.

Sometimes I wonder if certain member of the police are like that as a bit of a "stuff you" 

10 Sep 2020 15:11

profile-image
LongDonkey

It is too much effort to get off your fat butt and go do something as directed by your job desription. Too dangerous (these cops are scared man... quite obviously), so they just play stoopid. 

10 Sep 2020 16:12

profile-image
EddieV

Hi Morne, sorry to hear about your misfortune, and the personal trauma you had to endure both at the time and after
It is a great loss when you’ve invested so much of your time, energy and love customizing and creating a cycling machine that fits your needs just to have it taken away by an ignorant thief.
I have built up several custom bikes, Soma included, and I empathize with you - it’s not easily replaceable.
Remember to go see a professional, I does help.

11 Sep 2020 06:15

profile-image
eddy

update:

FML

anyway.

Calling andretraut.

Paging andretraut.

Kom in andretraut.

11 Sep 2020 09:36

profile-image
Meezo

Calling andretraut.

Paging andretraut.

Kom in andretraut.

that's the one! i didn't want to name drop, might have SAPS at my door

11 Sep 2020 09:42

profile-image
Hairy

that's the one! i didn't want to name drop, might have SAPS at my door

They would only be knocking on your door if you were walking on the beach over hard lock down .....

11 Sep 2020 10:03

profile-image
Eddy Gordo

They would only be knocking on your door if you were walking on the beach over hard lock down .....

Naa dude, the police only pick on soft targets i.e Bread winners, poor to middle income community. They rather side with a gangster/skollie/fellon than try to help someone who really needs it. Rich people will take them to court.

I have absolutely no faith in the police from numerous experiences of being stabbed, robbed at gunpoint, being shot at. You see how township law operates? its because the police is useless. 

11 Sep 2020 10:14

profile-image
Skubarra

update:

FML

anyway.

Somehow missed this thread, not the least surprised it turned out this way  :cursing:

Had a bike stolen a few years bike, (there was a thread on here),there were also good leads handed to the police on a plate, the detective literally only had to pitch up at the petrol station the bike was sold - but as you can imagine had no intention of doing so. Luckily someone at my workplace knew the commander of the police station and managed to convince them to make the effort and the bike was recovered.

Just glad you are ok and tx for the heads-up, will avoid solo rides in that area in the future

15 Sep 2020 12:46

profile-image
MORNE

Update:

It’s a long story and has been ongoing since the last posts...and i’ll elaborate on It next week when im in front of the computer again so i can type it out for you.

All i’ll say for now is....if your **** gets stolen, and you want a chance at getting it back....Get in touch with Adrian from Green Platoon Patrols. This guy has so much energy invested in outsmarting these criminals...and he is so well connected on the ground.

https://green-platoon-security.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

Edit: Sorry, To clarify...The bike has been recovered. ????

post-64325-0-95542200-1601043326_thumb.jpeg

25 Sep 2020 16:20

profile-image
Maxxis

Does this mean you recovered the bike?

25 Sep 2020 17:24

profile-image
MORNE

Does this mean you recovered the bike?

Sorry if it was not clear. Yes the bike is recovered.

25 Sep 2020 17:33

profile-image
Maxxis

I’m seriously happy for you!

25 Sep 2020 17:39

profile-image
MajG

such awesome news!!!!!!!!!

alot of effort, but glad it eventually paid off

25 Sep 2020 17:53

profile-image
Eddy Gordo

Nice one Morne!!!!

25 Sep 2020 18:33

profile-image
MORNE

Thanks guys, yea she’s a bit battered and bruised and most of the ancillaries that could be taken off without an allen key it seems - has been. Even the seatpost shim ffs. Then the f@cker that ended up with it obviously didn't know how a quick release works and cranked that thing down like a tap untill it sortof held the post in place and totally screwed that up in the process too. Luckily it is a steel frame, doesn't look like any serious damage. The brakes are wierd too..like locked solid...but i suspect thsts because the levers were pulled with the wheels off and the pads are too far out. It is also full of cement...it was obviously ridden trhough wet building sites.

As mentioned i’ll type the elaborate series of events out when infront of a computer again.

But it involves number gangs, drugs and being sold off to 6 people in 3 weeks haha

I’m stripping her down...cleaning her with a tooth brush and lovingly putting her back together today.

26 Sep 2020 06:09

profile-image
ChrisF

GLAD you got your baby back.

Sad that our SAPD is not up to the task ...

26 Sep 2020 07:05

profile-image
Hairy

Thanks guys, yea she’s a bit battered and bruised and most of the ancillaries that could be taken off without an allen key it seems - has been. Even the seatpost shim ffs. Then the f@cker that ended up with it obviously didn't know how a quick release works and cranked that thing down like a tap untill it sortof held the post in place and totally screwed that up in the process too. Luckily it is a steel frame, doesn't look like any serious damage. The brakes are wierd too..like locked solid...but i suspect thsts because the levers were pulled with the wheels off and the pads are too far out. It is also full of cement...it was obviously ridden trhough wet building sites.

As mentioned i’ll type the elaborate series of events out when infront of a computer again.

But it involves number gangs, drugs and being sold off to 6 people in 3 weeks haha

I’m stripping her down...cleaning her with a tooth brush and lovingly putting her back together today.

Send all the pics and a lovely description of how you were treated by SAPS and then privately had to reclaim your bike to the SAPS station heads and the local newspapers 

26 Sep 2020 08:58

profile-image
SL7

Update:

It’s a long story and has been ongoing since the last posts...and i’ll elaborate on It next week when im in front of the computer again so i can type it out for you.

All i’ll say for now is....if your **** gets stolen, and you want a chance at getting it back....Get in touch with Adrian from Green Platoon Patrols. This guy has so much energy invested in outsmarting these criminals...and he is so well connected on the ground.

https://green-platoon-security.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

Edit: Sorry, To clarify...The bike has been recovered. ????

The best news I've heard in a long time. Awesome!

26 Sep 2020 10:23

profile-image
MORNE

OK.

Spent the weekend stripping the SOMA down to nuts and bolts and rebuilding to clean the Dunoon off it and to check the damage. It was prisoner for 3 weeks after all. I had lost hope of getting it back last weekend when everything went quiet and all the leads dried up. I was not buying a replacement bike of similar spec/value either...didn't see the point if I was not going to go do my usual riding on weekends (i'm not riding Conties again).  So I found a nice vintage road bike on here last week in my size for the money of a pair of Hope hubs and got into getting that nice ...to keep fit and all. I have been pondering getting a nice old bike for a while too. This just happened to be in the right place at the right time for the right price.  A nice BMC restored italian - Atala Corsa Professionisti. Columbus SLX tubing with a mishmash of 105/600 components..but in absolute pristine condition. ill post a pic. 

Anyway, as you can deduce...I had basically said goodbye to the Soma and accepted it might be gone for good....a sortof emotional emancipation. Thats why i needed to spend the whole weekend getting gclose and personal with it again, just to reconnect with it in a sense. I'm VERY particular over my stuff and know every single scratch, knick, etc....so seeing it like the way it was and that it was caused by someone else had me really miff about the bike after the initial euphoria of actually recovering it after 3 weeks wore off. 

SO LETS GET INTO THAT THEN. 

Those of you that have been following the series of events will know just how the police handled, and messed up the case right in the first week. I'm bot going to go into that again other than saying that I still have not even received a single phone call from them after they let the one perp go. After that happend about two weeks ago, myself and Adrian (green Platoon patrols in table view) were dejected since there was a real chance of getting the bike back early on if we could get the guy to tell us where it was. But as you know...useless SAPS let him walk out the front door. To be honest...thats about when I gave up and let it go. Adrian on the other hand...he was on a mission. 

His wife saw my sisters 'bookface' post about the attack and bike and thats how he initially got involved. I didnt pay him a cent initially...he never asked. I was perplexed. I later asked him WHY? and he merely replied that he loves outsmarting these criminals...just loves it. It shows.  Little did I know just how much he loved it lol. In the background, after I basically wrote the bike off, he was still doing his thing...getting informants on the ground to scope out Dunoon. 

around 8am Friday morning I see a missed call from his number. i call back and text to no answer and assumed it was a butt dail...left it at that. We went about our usual business and i spent some time polishing up the newly acquired Atala bike at some stage. At about 11 am, i get a voice message from him telling me that he got someone from SAPS table view to escort him into Dunoon to where his informants say the one perp he initially caught was. I didnt think much of it...he would send me some updates like this every now and then over the 3 week period. I usually sounded casual. At around 12 he sends me another voice note that he has the guys in cuffs again and he's busy 'interigating' him for info lol. He caught the guy twice...did i mention the police didn't even phone yet?

at about 1pm I get another voice message that he has now rounded up 5 guys ...all in cuffs...all in the back of his FJ cruiser. They included the initial perp, the guy that attacked me...as well as 3 of the people who have sold on the bike. As he caught them..he would cuff them and make then rat on the next. 

We had a pre-natal doctors appointment around 2pm and headed there in the afternoon. I waited in the car while my wife went inside (hospital COVID policy and all). I sat in the car watchng the formula 1 practice session on my phone when i get a phone call from Adrian saying his heading into town with 5 guys in his car to the next person who baught the bike. It sounded like things were catching traction. But i naturally curbed my enthusiasm. 

just before 3pm, I get call. Adrian just says:  "Morné...I have your bike". He had all the photos as well as the serial number stamped under the BB so i knew he had it.

I literally didn't know what to say....but remember being super super happy...but the realist in me also immediately started pondering what the condition of it was..having spent 3 weeks changing hands.

Anyway, I asked him where he was becasue i was still waiting for my wife at the hospital. He had made his way from town to Canal walk's basement...where he acquired the bike off the last moegoe who had bought it. This guy was riding it from Dunoon to work for the past week. He apparently bought it for R3000. He unfortunately had to get them to talk by telling them if they rat....they'll be let go, since I wasn't interested in court cases and BS...just the bike. So they obliged. The video footage of them ratting on each other is jsut how you would think,.....hilarious. "No honour among thieves”

He offered to deliver the bike to the inlaws place in Durbanville. about 5 minutes later my wife returns from her appointment and we rush there to meet Adrian for the first time….and there it was in the back of his FJ cruiser lol. I took it out and set it on the lawn next to the street as he started explaining the series of events. To be honest I was listening with half an ear and my wife was basically conversing with him, since I was just busy scoping out what was broken, missing etc etc out the corner of my eye the whole time. Turns out a prominent numbers gang (and another - cant remember the name) who operate in dunoon,  opertate a sort of syndicate where they take stolen bikes as payment for drugs…because they can easily offload them to locals….and they are easy pickings as we all know by now. The guy that attacked me was a member of this other gang.  He immediately sold/swopped the bike and phones to the numbers gang guys for cash and drugs on the day it happened. The bike then went into their ’system’ and got sold off 3 times within dunoon. it was then sold off and ended up in town and then sold again to the final guy who bought it in canal walk area where he works at the mall…but stays in Dunoon. (full circle lol) 

on the one hand i was miffed that they had to be let go…but that was how he got them to rat, and i got the bike back that way.And to be honest…I was not prepared to waste time, money and energy fighting a broken system in court over a bicycle. Fine, it was armed robbery but I escaped unharmed in the end.  it’s just a pity since they are out there again.Maybe someone else is less lucky next time. 

Lets hope that in this instance they realised they are not invisible or impossible to find….twice.

TBC.

28 Sep 2020 09:03

profile-image
Bateleur1

What a story.  Glad you have you bike back.

28 Sep 2020 09:24

profile-image
MORNE

As mentioned, the bike was stripped of anything that could be taken off. The bags, lights, tools, bottles etc. I say they tried to take the saddle off but the raceface post i had installed the day before it was stolen, uses torx nuts. You can see they tried forcing an allen key in there to remove it. In the proces lost the seatpost shim too. Then they where left with a 31.6 hole and a 30.9 post and QR clamp…not knowing how a QR clamp works. they cranked the clamp down so hard to catch the post that the seat tube was oval’d. it absolutely destroyed the seatpost too since it obviously slid down more often than not. When i installed an old shim i had lying around I couldnt get the seat post in. so happy it is a steel frame though. with some massaging and a older post….i could get it close to round again.

there were some scratches on the down tube…obviously from dragging it over walls or a fence or whatever, cable ties were cur off with a knife with no regard for the paint and anodising around them. I was most worried about the carbon fork. Obviously plastic does not perform well when in the presence of ham fisted individuals…
Luckily there is only light chip marks under the forks from where they where obviously placed on the floor with the wheels removed.  
The brakes were all stuffed up as mentioned before. Pistons pushed out from pulling the levers with the wheels out obviously, the last guy rode it like this so the pads are basically toast. The the bike was full of dried mud/cement mix. i presume from riding those construction sites in the dunoon area. that took some cleaning. Vinegar helped a lot. The cranks have some new scuff marks. Thats what you get from trying to ride a cleat pedal in normal shoes. Luckily the derailleur has no damage….but the cement had its way with the cassette, chainring and chain.

Shes all polished up and rebuilt now, and we have reconnected lol.  I’ve decided to use this bike exclusively in the trail parks from now on. I’ll use the cheaper road bike for longer rides.

pic of where she was found in canal walk.

post-64325-0-39721300-1601278064_thumb.jpg

28 Sep 2020 09:28

profile-image
MORNE

oval seat tube...

post-64325-0-60338100-1601279322_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-03304200-1601280309_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-53723500-1601280316_thumb.jpg

28 Sep 2020 09:49

profile-image
MORNE

all this is gone now lol

post-64325-0-52661500-1601279466_thumb.jpg

28 Sep 2020 09:51

profile-image
Pure Savage

Wow, what a story! Glad you have it back!! 

And you now have a road bike :)

28 Sep 2020 09:54

profile-image
Pure Savage

all this is gone now lol

I want those bike bags!!

28 Sep 2020 09:55

profile-image
MORNE

Wow, what a story! Glad you have it back!! 

And you now have a road bike :)

post-64325-0-50308400-1601279961_thumb.jpg

28 Sep 2020 09:59

profile-image
MORNE

I want those bike bags!!

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product-category/accessories/bags/bike-bags/

they can order direct...they brought mine in for me. Took 2 weeks.

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com

28 Sep 2020 10:02

profile-image
MORNE

"hoop in die een hand en wat nou weer in die ander?"

lol

post-64325-0-41309700-1601280360_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-58857500-1601280377_thumb.jpg

28 Sep 2020 10:07

profile-image
Hairy

At least you can sleep at night knowing that the people who ratted each other out will certainly be seeing some reckoning soon! 

28 Sep 2020 10:20

profile-image
Shebeen

Is the LEGEND Adrian reading this thread?

you rockstar

28 Sep 2020 11:13

profile-image
MORNE

Is the LEGEND Adrian reading this thread?

you rockstar

not sure. 

He really is a legend. He is everything you would hope a police officer would be in this country. So much passion for outsmarting and catching the bad guys. He got so angry when SAPS stuffed it all up in the beginning. I think he was more miffed than I was. He is relentless.

He had no real reason to help me out with this. Before this I have never met him before, none of us that connected with him have any affiliation with him or any of his company services. He just wanted to help. As I told him when he dropped the bike off...."hope in humanity restored"

28 Sep 2020 11:33