Brand:

Pinarello

Model:

Dogma 65.1

Year:

Colour:

Black/white

More about the bike:

Black and white pinarello - small - super record groups set with Campac wheels, garmin 500, and power cranks

Incident details

Date of incident:

19/12/2014

Cape Point, Western Cape

Incident type:

Bike Jacking / Mugging

Police Station:

Simons Town

More about the incident:

Hi-jacked at Millers point Friday 19th Dec 6:30 by two colourd's in white AUDi station wagon - looked new and well cared for. Attacked with screw drivers

profile-image
pepsi

Cape Point, Western Cape

profile-image
Long Wheel Base

Ahh man that sucks, Glad your ok. Whats up with cape town and all the bike jackings lately?

19 Dec 2014 14:14

profile-image
worriesnot

heard about it on 702 this morning UNLESS this is a another one....

not cool and hope you get it back!

19 Dec 2014 14:19

profile-image
'Dale

Sorry to hear, man

Eish!

19 Dec 2014 14:30

profile-image
Prince Albert Cycles

Pepsi jammer man . Lyk soos Elize se fiets ? Is julle ok ?

19 Dec 2014 14:47

profile-image
bj horn

What was there modus operandi.That is a very quiet section.Were you riding towards Scarborough.

19 Dec 2014 14:53

profile-image
venom1

that's not cool! hope you find your bike soon and the criminals that did this get caught. 

19 Dec 2014 15:42

profile-image
Juanhein20

What direction did they go? Surely there must be some cctv cameras along on of those roads that could have captured the car as there is only a limited number of access roads in that area. Probably a stolen car.

Hope you get your bike back. Just glad that you are unharmed.

19 Dec 2014 15:52

profile-image
canadonis

I'm really so sorry to hear this man, I was planning a ride up smits tomorrow morning this is becoming hectic, I guess on the positive side you are well and can cycle another day.

It's becoming hectically scary being on the roads lately with these hijacking, it seems as though these ass wipes are also familiar with bike brands to target a pinarello or was it pure coincidence.

Does 1 have to go cycling with a firearm, does anyone cycle with a firearm?

19 Dec 2014 16:09

profile-image
HeadDown

Sorry. I used to look for quiet routes to ride, had a similar experience to you and now avoid quiet roads.

19 Dec 2014 16:52

profile-image
Prince Albert Cycles

There must be a buyer of these bikes too many high end bikes stolen / jacked . We must do something collectively . Wish I had the answer

19 Dec 2014 18:19

profile-image
Bernard Horn

I bet this was not a mere chance Pina grab.These guys must be watching somewhere near Simonstown,see you riding alone ,on a nice bike and take there chance

19 Dec 2014 18:53

profile-image
flymango

If I'm not mistaken, this is the third incident involving a white Audi station wagon in the past week!!!!

19 Dec 2014 19:00

profile-image
UpShift_Cycles

If you remember I think about a year ago, wasn't there a white Isuzu robbing cyclist on the same stretch of road?

19 Dec 2014 22:19

profile-image
bj horn

There must be a buyer of these bikes too many high end bikes stolen / jacked . We must do something collectively . Wish I had the answer

I think these bikes are being swopped for drugs and shipped out of country,because they are not showing up in shops or on the roads

20 Dec 2014 07:28

profile-image
urbanroyal

I think these bikes are being swopped for drugs and shipped out of country,because they are not showing up in shops or on the roads

Or possibly bought by shady second hand dealers..stripped of their parts and built up on frames bought legit.. same like car theft syndicate....steal a car...and put the parts on a chassis bought at the scrap yard or insurance auctions...????

20 Dec 2014 08:21

profile-image
Eddy Gordo

I also think the bikes are stolen for parts, and I also think that cause the frames can be more or less easily traced it is crushed into a lump and sold to scrap yards. Alu fetches a pretty penny, dunno what they do with carbon though

20 Dec 2014 11:29

profile-image
Malpiet

These bikes are definitely sold overseas, its highly unlikely that a 65k bike is sitting somewhere in a warehouse on idle,

Parts make up in general about +-40% of the total bike price and can only fetch roughly 50%-60% of the new price in the 2nd hand market.

Say a Dogma with Zipp 101 and DA9000 is stolen, in the 2nd hand market it will most likely only get 20k for everything besides the frame (remember its a rush sale so maybe even a little less) but then we have a case where the seller/dealer is sitting with a 45k frame and rather decides to crush it or respray it. I think not..!!

I don't believe such a large portion of the total value is easily discarded into the rubble surely even the temptation to buy a 40k frame for 10k would be hard to resist

20 Dec 2014 13:45

profile-image
B20

Does 1 have to go cycling with a firearm, does anyone cycle with a firearm?

Yes I do.  I'll take my chance between a good attorney and the court.

20 Dec 2014 14:34

profile-image
'Dale

Or possibly bought by shady second hand dealers..stripped of their parts and built up on frames bought legit.. same like car theft syndicate....steal a car...and put the parts on a chassis bought at the scrap yard or insurance auctions...????

Yeah, chop shop type of modus operandi, I guess

20 Dec 2014 15:02

profile-image
Skylark

Nasty experience, is there any detective branch in CT that's actively working on this huge spate of high end bike thefts? There must be a buyer for all this stuff, bikes weren't a big hijack or theft target a few yrs back probably because there was no demand for them on the black market now apparently the demand is insatiable?

20 Dec 2014 20:44

profile-image
VolkAdik

I have taken arms

27 Dec 2014 21:14

profile-image
pista

I have taken arms

Care to elaborate ??

27 Dec 2014 21:59

profile-image
Zaahir Salie

so where do you carry ur firearm??

canadonis

28 Dec 2014 11:29

profile-image
pepsi

I can also tell you how absolute useless SAPS was - Fat lazy **&%(*% sending you around from one end to another where they were able/and supposed to take the statement they send you to another SAP station because the buggers are to *$% lazy.... Our own Security service we belong to also didnt even bother to help after we called - still busy with this one.. and looking out to change.

28 Dec 2014 18:46

profile-image
canadonis

so where do you carry ur firearm??

canadonis

http://www.fobusholster.com/images/products/gl2dph.jpg

I have this holster and firearm and i have it under my cycling jersey on a comfy belt.

I'm sorry I work too hard for my toys (Scott foil10 and Pyga) and refuse to be a helpless victim to those spineless f@ckers who prey on innocent cyclists.

29 Dec 2014 00:04

profile-image
Rider3000

I have also taken up arms!!! And ill never give them my bike ... till death do us part attitude!

06 Jan 2015 10:21

profile-image
Tubehunter

If you take a fall and that thing goes off and shoots your mate/girlfriend riding with you and kills them what will you do?

I am just curious. I don't want to know anything else apart from the answer to that question. I am also not being stupid. It could easily happen.

What happens when you walk across the road and don't look properly before stepping in front of a bus??

There is risk to everything in living. The way you manage your risk, is your choice!

If Canadonis and co are happy to carry arms on them whilst riding that is their choice and their reasons are valid to them, even if this does not sit well with your philosophy.

06 Jan 2015 10:47

profile-image
Long Wheel Base

Like many guys out there I'm also loud mouth about these things, I say ill bliksem them or rip the weapon from them and use it on them but these guys are good at what they do unfortunately and it happens so quickly the reality is I think in most cases non of us will even have the time to think about fighting back or using our concealed weapon. I don't carry a weapon(unless you consider pepper gas a weapon), Id like to but i'm scared it might get me into more trouble than out of it. I also take nothing away from guys carrying weapons.

06 Jan 2015 11:03

profile-image
Tubehunter

For everything in life someone always feels they are correct. I just wanted to know the answer. Why is that an issue?

The issue is that we have a continuous cycle of bike jacking that is going on at the same spot by an obvious crew of guys without any impunity. This is the problem that should be dealt with.

(If you own a firearm in this day and age and are not into crime as your source of revenue, you will know what a safety is and how it works and make sure it is engaged when you are on your bike)

06 Jan 2015 11:19

profile-image
J∆KK∆LS

Too the guys packing heat, please be careful! 

I would not feel comfortable cycling with peeps carrying a firearm.

Mace is also very affective when accompanied with a solid front kick.

But let them rather take your bike, you are insured after all, right? 

P.S I have been practicing martial arts for 7 years +- (2 years full contact comps) and avoid fights like the plague. I have seen seasoned fighters

go down in a brawl. Most of us are just cyclists, so dont be a hero! 

06 Jan 2015 11:26

profile-image
Long Wheel Base

The issue is that we have a continuous cycle of bike jacking that is going on at the same spot by an obvious crew of guys without any impunity. This is the problem that should be dealt with.

(If you own a firearm in this day and age and are not into crime as your source of revenue, you will know what a safety is and how it works and make sure it is engaged when you are on your bike)

Spot on. LOL love your wording on the job description.

06 Jan 2015 11:31

profile-image
canadonis

I have read all the different views and yes all are valid from a particular perspective, the reality is we as cyclists are being targeted by a few groups and within the groups are parties who appear to enjoy the power of inflicting pain and injury on us despite us relinquishing our bikes and all possessions, (see article of spez theft on 1 jan).

I agree that carrying a firearm is not the ideal however if it's a choice between being at the mercy of a thief who has psychopathic murderous tendencies and me being armed (whether I could / would have the time to protect myself) Il always go for the latter.

We have our personal views on firearms, mine is very simple....I'd rather have a firearm and not need 1 than need it and not have 1.

06 Jan 2015 11:45

profile-image
ThaStig

If you take a fall and that thing goes off and shoots your mate/girlfriend riding with you and kills them what will you do?

I am just curious. I don't want to know anything else apart from the answer to that question. I am also not being stupid. It could easily happen.

Any responsible firearm owner knows to never holster a "cocked" weapon; be it a pistol or revolver. So there should be no reason for the weapon to go off if you take a fall. But if you want to be Rambo then you must suffer the consequences.

06 Jan 2015 12:10

profile-image
mikkelz

This seriously blows. I haven't ridden along section for ages now. Stick to (or stuck with) the section Camps Bay to Chapman's Peak and back. Not the worst, but it's **** to be restricted to where you can ride due to crime.

06 Jan 2015 12:49

profile-image
Rider3000

Its up to the individuals on how to stay safe... for me ill never stop cycling as long as i can "trap", for the rest i realized early in life that "resistance" is the best way to fight back! If im a sitting duck and the thieves know im an easy target they never stop taking our bikes. If someone steps on my toes... ill resist ! That said im always ready for when that happens...

06 Jan 2015 13:22