Evans Cycles - atrocious service

Minion

I am writing this post as a warning to anyone who may be considering buying items from Evanscycles.com in the UK. I have, in the past had reasonably successful dealings with them, but their bad service on my latest order means that I will never buy from them again.

They sent me an incorrect crank which I posted back to them. They have subsequently not fulfilled their promise to send the correct crank, nor their promise to refund my postage costs. They have ignored all of my emails for the past month.

• At the end of January I placed and order with them for a crank and two other small items.

• The order arrived at the beginning of February, but they sent the wrong crank. In addition, the crank they did send bore strong evidence of having been used (scuff marks, grease on chainrings, dirty grease in bearings).

• I emailed their customer support and they told me to post it back to them. They promised to send the correct crank and to refund my shipping costs.

• In the middle of February, I posted it back to them. Tracking shows it was successfully delivered and signed for a few days later.

• At the end of February, I had not received the correct crank or the promised postage refund. I emailed them asking for a progress update. The email was received, but I have still not received any response from them, aside from the initial automatic acknowledgment of receipt.

• By mid March, I had still not received the correct crank or the promised postage refund. I emailed them again asking for a progress update. Once again, I have received no response.

• At the beginning of last week, I sent them an email telling them not to send the crank, but to refund the amount I paid and the postage amount. The email was delivered, but I have still received neither response nor refund.

• At the end of last week I emailed again - no response.

• Today, having still not received a response or refund, I have posted them a letter of demand.

In summary: Evans Cycles sent me the wrong crank. They promised to send me the correct crank and refund my shipping costs if I returned the incorrect crank. This I did. To date, they have not refunded me, or sent me the correct crank. They have ignored all four of my emails sent over the past month.

I’m hoping the letter of demand will spur them into action and result in me being refunded. It is, unfortunately, too late for them to regain me as a customer.

Update: 26/8/2011 - Evan's refunded the cost of the crank on 5 April and the balance of the shipping cost on 10 May. They sent me a voucher (redeemable only in store) as an apology. I was eventually able to use the voucher, on the second attempt (due to the system being down), when I visited London at the beginning of this month.

Edited by Edman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also received BAD service from them and will NEVER order from Evans Cycles again!! :thumbdown:

Did you try to call ? Not to say they service hasn't been shite, some people need a bit of verbal persuasion.

Sorry to hear bout you bad experience. It might be worth giving them a call rather than sending emails. They can always claim there were issues with the email system / the email somehow got 'lost' in cyberspace.

Another advantage of phoning is that you get to escalate right away if the call center agent doesn't give you the answer you want.

Why don't you call them? maybe your emails are ending up in there spam folder.

Seems I was beaten to the line... TWICE! Bummer :)

They have had ample time to respond to my emails. I know they went through as I have received automated emails acknowledging receipt and supplying a reference number. I have also tried using the webform on their website - they have ignored that too.

I have sent the letter of demand via registered post. It will arrive by the end of this week. Someone will have to sign for it, so no potential spam filter there.

Edited by Edman

They have had ample time to respond to my emails. I know they went through as I have received automated emails acknowledging receipt and supplying a reference number. I have also tried using the webform on their website - they have ignored that too.

I have sent the letter of demand via registered post. It will arrive by the end of this week. Someone will have to sign for it, so no potential spam filter there.

I would still say a phone call is be better suited.

Evans are notoriously $hite.The only thing they are good for is trying on gear to get the right sizing then ordering online from CRC or Wiggle. I would call them directly and demand your refund.

I must be honest, I bought stuff from them many times, and was highly impressed with their service. I have bought TacX trainers and clothing from them.

Once they sent me 2 complete winter sets but left out 2 components in the shipment, when I notified them, they just apologized sent me the missing garments and gave me a £50 voucher as part of the apology :-)

I was a satisfied customer, sorry you had a bad experience.

I was a satisfied customer

So was I until this order - probably why I've ended up giving them six weeks of leeway.

I am writing this post as a warning to anyone who may be considering buying items from Evanscycles.com in the UK. I have, in the past had reasonably successful dealings with them, but their bad service on my latest order means that I will never buy from them again.

They sent me an incorrect crank which I posted back to them. They have subsequently not fulfilled their promise to send the correct crank, nor their promise to refund my postage costs. They have ignored all of my emails for the past month.

• At the end of January I placed and order with them for a crank and two other small items.

• The order arrived at the beginning of February, but they sent the wrong crank. In addition, the crank they did send bore strong evidence of having been used (scuff marks, grease on chainrings, dirty grease in bearings).

• I emailed their customer support and they told me to post it back to them. They promised to send the correct crank and to refund my shipping costs.

• In the middle of February, I posted it back to them. Tracking shows it was successfully delivered and signed for a few days later.

• At the end of February, I had not received the correct crank or the promised postage refund. I emailed them asking for a progress update. The email was received, but I have still not received any response from them, aside from the initial automatic acknowledgment of receipt.

• By mid March, I had still not received the correct crank or the promised postage refund. I emailed them again asking for a progress update. Once again, I have received no response.

• At the beginning of last week, I sent them an email telling them not to send the crank, but to refund the amount I paid and the postage amount. The email was delivered, but I have still received neither response nor refund.

• At the end of last week I emailed again - no response.

• Today, having still not received a response or refund, I have posted them a letter of demand.

In summary: Evans Cycles sent me the wrong crank. They promised to send me the correct crank and refund my shipping costs if I returned the incorrect crank. This I did. To date, they have not refunded me, or sent me the correct crank. They have ignored all four of my emails sent over the past month.

I’m hoping the letter of demand will spur them into action and result in me being refunded. It is, unfortunately, too late for them to regain me as a customer.

Dear Edman,

I am very sorry to hear that your order has not been fulfilled properly. While we encountered problems with our email systems earlier this month, not responding to your emails repeatedly is not acceptable and I would like to apologize for that. If you send me and email at community.manager@evanscycles.com with your contact details and the order number, I will investigate it immediately and will try to sort it out as soon as possible, so you can finally get the right crank and the refund.

Thanks,

Balint / Evans Cycles