Sani2C entry procedure, fair or unfair???

rcc1

Yeah so maybe I am a little miffed that once again I have not been able to crack the nod to the Sani2C and as such this post may reflect just a "little" disappointment on my side!! But in all honesty I need to ask the question, is the current entry procedure fair to all of us who long to experience what is rated as one of the greatest stage races around? This is not a dig at the organisers cause I believe they have done an incredible job to make this a race that is so sought after, however I do believe the current entry procedure should be looked at to make this race more accessible to the rest of us. If there is anyone out there that can explain the logic behind the current process I would really value an explanation (i.e. last years entries get first option for the following year)

Perhaps we should put together a list of ideas which can then be presented to the organisers to try and make the race more accessible e.g. how about running the event all over again the following week with a first come first serve policy (Perhaps the entry fee to the following weeks event can be increased to alleviate the burden on the sponsors? I for one know that I will be happy to pay a premium as long as I can get to experience this race and the beautiful settings that the race takes place in)

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the matter!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with you on this. I've tried my luck with waiting list for past 3 years and still haven't come close to getting an entry.

I was really impressed at the early bird entry system for the Cape Epic - quite a few guys on the hub managed to get entries for next years race.

Another option could be for a 'lottery' where a certain number of places are randomly drawn from people in the waiting list.

Edited by pauloc

Can you ride the route backwards?

Maybe if they do that than they will get more a mix of guys riding it every second year?

not sure, If its a good quality race, specially mtb were they can only house limited riders, it will happened.

Heard a interesting story about the Epic, 1200 riders, more than 700 support people in the race village.

I think it is fair or I just got lucky. I entered 1 year and went on waiting list and then the next year I didnt enter again but got a call to say I got an entry due to being on the waiting list.

I have never missed another Sani since then!

See we just need to hunt down people like BPayne, cause them a minor injury, just enough so they can't ride and lose their spot and then when we take enough people out, the rest of us might have a shot.

Seriously though, I really think they should keep a few spots open for people on the waiting list so that at least some new people get to do it each year.

Do you propose that the people that have been loyal and supported the organisers from the start be left out of the race and people that haven't been involved and helped make the sought after event that it is today get put in at their expense?

First come first served works perfectly. I know that there are people that have been trying for years to get a ride but that if just unfortnately the way that it is with the most popular race on the calendar.

Do you propose that the people that have been loyal and supported the organisers from the start be left out of the race and people that haven't been involved and helped make the sought after event that it is today get put in at their expense?

First come first served works perfectly. I know that there are people that have been trying for years to get a ride but that if just unfortnately the way that it is with the most popular race on the calendar.

The Sani2C is without a doubt one of the hardest races to get into in SA. It's a winning formula and everyone wants to experience it for themselves. I'm not saying the organizers turn their backs on the loyal riders, but the waiting list concept doesn't seem to be working too well. Maybe some of the spots that open up should be given away in a random draw / maybe they could open the route a few weekends during the year. I'm sure the local communities could benefit from a continuous stream of visitors as opposed to 1 hectic week a year.

Edited by pauloc

One of my mates did the race last year and invited me to ride with him, otherwise I would still have been on the waiting list. I love the idea of loyal riders being given preference, but think that the Cape Epic has a better system with the amabubhezi concept.

This year they also decided to cut back on the number of entrants to ensure that those who ride get a good experience.

Perhaps what could be done is to do the following:

Have a promotion / relegation system:

The top 100 teams in the "Adventure" gets invited for the following year's "Race"

The top 300 teams in the "Race" gets invited to do the ride again.

Use the "Adventure" as an open entry procedure where riders obtain entries on a lottery system

Use the "Race" to attract the loyal supporters of the event.

Fill up the "Race" first and then open the "Adventure" for open lottery entries.

i reckon most "loyal" supporters only do it in fear of losing there spot.

My feeling is that there should be a three year rotation system. After your first time of doing it, you are allowed automatic entry (if you so wish) for the next 2 years, after which you go back on the waiting list, your entry then goes to the top team on the waiting list. If you miss one of those automatic years, you also go to the bottom of the waiting list.

I rode the very first event way back and I have been back every year since sometimes with different partners.

Wont miss it

Is the entry that is offered to a team from the previous year open to that exact team again, or are the individuals give the option of the entry. Basically, if the team decides that they are not going to ride together the following year, are they still guaranteed the entry?

only one member of the team is guaranteed of an entry, if you want to ride as the same team its ok. You cant split up a team and have two guaranteed entries.

There are a thousand ways to solve this problem. They seem to lack imagination.

I think the introduction of the Adventure was a stroke of brilliance, but it only satisfied a fraction of the demand by the looks of it.