5150 - Daylight robbery

RaeTrewBrowne

Just saw the 'early bird' entries for the 5150 races, R695, it's not clear to me if that is for the whole series or per race? anyone have any more information?

Entries open tomorrow!

Edited by Emo Kid

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it is just for the race!!

Very disappointed...would have loved to do that event but the day will end up costing me R1000.00 for an Olympic distance event!! :angry: :angry:

That’s R700.00 for just over 2 hours of racing!!

Don't know how many people will be willing to pay that??

it's ridiculous! just because it has the 'infamous' M dot logo ??

R695 for 2 hours racing is over the top!

I agree with you, I am not sure how many people will be forking out that much for an Olympic Distance race..

Usually triathlons entail a lot of support, i.e. lifegaurds, medical facilities, road closures, marshalls, water stations, etc. And as where it may take you 2hours, there are people that take up to 4 hours if not longer to complete the event. And it's probably very true that it's so expensive because of the "M-dot" logo, but if they're sponsors or are overseeing the event, then they usually have slightly stricter safety guidelines than your local tri's, hence the higher price tag. And unfortunately the nature of triathlons, is that it's an expensive sport...

Just my 2c...

I thought that was standard pricing in triathlonspeak, or have they taken it a bit far this time..... Doesn't ironman cost R5k?

Usually triathlons entail a lot of support, i.e. lifegaurds, medical facilities, road closures, marshalls, water stations, etc. And as where it may take you 2hours, there are people that take up to 4 hours if not longer to complete the event. And it's probably very true that it's so expensive because of the "M-dot" logo, but if they're sponsors or are overseeing the event, then they usually have slightly stricter safety guidelines than your local tri's, hence the higher price tag. And unfortunately the nature of triathlons, is that it's an expensive sport...

Just my 2c...

R700.00 is double what the Local Tri's ask for an event that in most cases are very well organised and meet all the necessary safety requirements.

R500.00 would have been the max that I would be willing to pay; R700.00 is more than just crazy!

And that’s for early entries, and then it gets even more expensive if you don't enter like 2 months before.

R700.00 is double what the Local Tri's ask for an event that in most cases are very well organised and meet all the necessary safety requirements.

R500.00 would have been the max that I would be willing to pay; R700.00 is more than just crazy!

And that’s for early entries, and then it gets even more expensive if you don't enter like 2 months before.

Don't go to the States then to do a race, cause you're generally looking at $70 for sprint, $90 for olympic, and then your higher profile races like the Chicago Triathlon, is $160. And people don't complain about paying that, there's usually a waiting list for people who couldn't enter in time before the race filled up.

On the Ironman Facebook site they confirmed the Bela Bela will be the only 5150 to be held this year. R695 is for that race only and "on special" until 10 June. I'm not sure what the price increase will be after that.

I'm sure that Ironman will put up a great show and it will be worth the R695 and it will be a full field on the day. That said...I will not be there.

Don't go to the States then to do a race, cause you're generally looking at $70 for sprint, $90 for olympic, and then your higher profile races like the Chicago Triathlon, is $160. And people don't complain about paying that, there's usually a waiting list for people who couldn't enter in time before the race filled up.

Well...if I earned my salary in dollars then there was absolutely no problem paying $90 for a race. Do not compare dollars if you earn in ZAR. What you need to do is take your salary multiply it by seven then you ask the person if they would be happy to pay R670 for a race.

Irrespective of your times or the amount of organising that goes into it. The cost of an event must be measured against the enjoyment factor of the participant.

If I were a triathlete, I cannot see how you can get R700 worth of enjoyment from one event.

As an example, I would pay R500 to watch the Boks play the All Blacks, but I would not pay R100 to watch the Boks play Romania.

11 Global, which is a world class event, is $50 which is somewhere close to R350, that is acceptable! anything over R400 is completely unreasonable for a 51 mile race.

I will rather race 2 x 11 Global races (with the added petrol costs etc.) than 1 x 5150!!

Okay, I give up! You guys win, it's daylight robbery... :blink:

If it's too much for your pocket, then just don't do it! :P

I agree completely , R695 ,00 is the early bird entry ,if you don't commit before 10 th June ( around the corner ) , the entry goes up to the " standard " price which is R 800,00 ...crazy price..I was considering coming up from Durban , but with the flight ,accomodation and now this ridiculous entry fee...no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha :)

ok, ok, one good thing going for the 5150 is each race has a purse of $10 000, not too shabby for a race in SA, but with International Pro's 'invited' to race the series to up the appeal there will be very little chance of us 'age-groupers' getting a slice of the pie! ;)