Assulted and bike jacked

gordo

Yesterday while out training I got a flat at the Stellenbosch turn-off on Baden Powell road near Eersterivier.After removing my wheel to change the tube I noticed two guys on an old yellow moped keeping still on the opposite side of the road to the the right of me, as well as another one running in my direction from the left, which I assumed was running towards the moped.As he came running past me he actually greeted me,and the next thing I heard about three seconds later was "jou ma se p*#s!",as I heard that I immediately looked behind me and he struck me with a shovel,aiming for my head,but I was able to react and block with my upper arm and shoulder.I still had my rear wheel in my hand,which he shouted that I give it to him and he tried to strike me again to get it.At that moment I took off running,still with my wheel in my hand,from just before the stop to the middle of Baden Powell road to try and stop some cars,at the same time noticing an old red volkswagen golf pulling up to the guy who attacked me,and saw them throwing my bike into the back.One of the cars which came past was a police van.The police van only braked about 10 seconds after me signaling them,which was obviously the amount of time it took them to figure out what was going down.As soon as they stopped,the old volkswagen golf took off,with the police van also taking chase again sirens and all.

For the next minute or so I stood there alone,before another guy pulled up.As he was also a cyclist,he decided to stop when he saw me standing there with a wheel in my hand.We waited for a few minutes to see whether the police van would come back,but after a few minutes he offered to give me a lift so we could try and find the van down the rode.Couldn't find anything so he offered to drive me home.

After I got home,I made a few phone calls to the SAPS and they told me to go open a docket at the Eersterivier(Kleinvlei) SAPS.About two hours later after filling out all the forms and statements and ****,they realized that where the incident took place actually falls under the jurisdiction of Stellenbosch.So now my whole case has to be transferred to Stellenbosch SAPS,which I was told will take a couple of extra days.

My favourite part of it all is that the chasing police van didn't even take the registration number of the volkswagen golf.So we don't have anything on any one of them.

I'm thinking of putting a reward n gumtree,"1kg "tik" for Merida road bike.".Then I'll surely get back. :lol:

Edited by gordo

geez another one.

Sorry to hear about ur hijacking

Sad that a police van cant catch a old golf <_< and they dont even take down the number plate.

I think next year the Argus must not be a race just a ride up to parliment to say to them Enough is enough.

Hope u get your bike back.

This land is being F*u#$% up!(Sorry mods I just had to say it)

When will this ever stop and what do they do with the bike? Make and carbon bong?with and handlebar as and pipe?

Sorry about your loss man ,but something I do as and cyclist if I get and puncture is I go to the nearest place(riding with my puncture like and farm stall and stop to quickly chance it (takes 1min)

but that is not always possible.

do you at least have insurance??

Was this on the road just before you get the T junction on Polka Draai Road (just tryubg to pin point the spot)? Baden Powell also goes past Khayelitsha :blink:

Oh *** one, Gordo - but I'm impressed you can still write about it with some measure of humour. I hope you're OK from the spade clobber, and at least you got away and home safely. Generally, the Stellenbosch cops are one of the better outfits I think, so there may still be some action. Otherwise, I guess any of us who ride near the 'Bosch should be on the lookout for a Merida with mismatched wheels.

Was this on the road just before you get the T junction on Polka Draai Road (just tryubg to pin point the spot)? Baden Powell also goes past Khayelitsha :blink:

Yeah,it's a bit unclear.Checked it out on my gps.It's actually when you come down Baden Powell from Stellenbosch side,over the bridge then you turn left and the road makes a curve and you get to the stop where you turn onto Old Main road.Happened at that stop.

Sorry to hear about your loss. At least you managed to hold onto the wheel (doesn't do you much good, but makes its harder for them to try sell on).

Really sad that we can no longer ride safely on our bikes.

geez another one.

Sorry to hear about ur hijacking

Sad that a police van cant catch a old golf <_< and they dont even take down the number plate.

I think next year the Argus must not be a race just a ride up to parliment to say to them Enough is enough.

Hope u get your bike back.

probably find the cops caught them, took the bike, dismissed the jackers and smosed the bike :angry:

p.s. I need a new rear wheel for my MTB if you want to sell it :blush:

Edited by Seeker911

probably find the cops caught them, took the bike, dismissed the jackers and smosed the bike :angry:

p.s. I need a new rear wheel for my MTB if you want to sell it :blush:

haha sorry mate!road bike wheel.

This land is being F*u#$% up!(Sorry mods I just had to say it)

When will this ever stop and what do they do with the bike? Make and carbon bong?with and handlebar as and pipe?

Sorry about your loss man ,but something I do as and cyclist if I get and puncture is I go to the nearest place(riding with my puncture like and farm stall and stop to quickly chance it (takes 1min)

but that is not always possible.

do you at least have insurance??

Yeah,luckily insurance is going to sort me out.But this should still not be the way you lose a bike.It's ridiculous!Just glad I'm leaving soon.

Yeah,luckily insurance is going to sort me out.But this should still not be the way you lose a bike.It's ridiculous!Just glad I'm leaving soon.

Insurance companies should get involved to investigate this. The police do not have the time or interest to investigate. Insurance companies are starting to loose allot of money. Read my thread https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/104570-bikejacking-bluehills-kyalami/

What is the insured value of all the bicycles being hijacked each month? Should be bags of money they are paying out. It will benefit insurance companies to investigate this and bring people to book that's behind these bicycles hijackings as it will cost them hundreds of thousands of rands less to get good investigators onto this.

Edited by nathrix™ ® ©