Heart rate and the Science or lack theiroff.

I was just wondering about this heart rate thing, Im 32 suppose to have a theoretical Max heart rate of 186.

The highest I have ever been able to push my heart rate was 171, thats mountainbiking grinding up a steep hill to the point of feeling like passing out.

In the spinning class I can push as hard as i can, and the highest i have managed to push my heart while spinning is about 165.

Is this good or bad, I have collegues that ride with me regularly, the one chap pushes his to an AVG of 180 and he is a year older than me. What does this mean?

Personally I think there is no science, some top athletes have high heart rates, some have low. The general rule is knowing YOUR heart rate :) Knowing your maximum heart rate notifies you as to whether you're pushing as hard as you should be to get fitter, or taking it easy.

I'm 30 and my theoretical max is 190 (220 - Age). I've reached 202 on some occasions (18 years old ?!?!)

I agree, I have a resting HR of 48 and useless athelete, most guys I cycle with cane me every time.(I am 40)

I was just wondering about this heart rate thing, Im 32 suppose to have a theoretical Max heart rate of 186.

The highest I have ever been able to push my heart rate was 171, thats mountainbiking grinding up a steep hill to the point of feeling like passing out.

In the spinning class I can push as hard as i can, and the highest i have managed to push my heart while spinning is about 165.

Is this good or bad, I have collegues that ride with me regularly, the one chap pushes his to an AVG of 180 and he is a year older than me. What does this mean?

You need to remember that you will have a different heart rate max for different sports. You would certainly get your heart rate higher if you were doing running intervals.

The standard deviation of the Max HR = 220-age equation is around 7-9bpm (I'll need to dig up the source).

This means that for every 1000 people, 317 should have a MHR that is more than 7-9bpm higher or lower than the prediction, 46 should have a MHR that is more than 14-18bpm higher or lower and 3 should have a MHR that is more than 21-27bpm higher or lower. Fewer than 250 will be within 2-3bpm of the prediction.

So the question is why do we measure it?

Because it is cheap and easy. Cheaper and easier than power meters. Not because it is the most accurate.

My maximum measured is 186. And I am 45. So the little calculation of 220-age is off.

What have I personally gained from it?- During warm up. Nothing really.

- I once went out cycling and was sitting with a hr of over 90% for teensy weansy uphills. I stopped. It did not come down after 5 minutes. I limped back home. The next day I started with a nice flu. So the hrm 'saved' me from a possible myocarditis.

- I know from experience that I can go a very very long time at 133. LSD.

- I know that I can do 40km mtb races with a constant hr of 166 without cramping.

- I know that if I push it over 170 for more than 15 minutes continuously I WILL cramp.

- I know that I will hit the wall if I had not eaten when my hrm shows I have 'used' 1000kcal.

- I know tat if it is a stage race and I have not eaten at 600kcal on the second day of a stage race, I will hit the wall.

But that is just for me. That is how I use mine. Learn to use yours. EVERYBODY is different.

A very high hr is neither good, nor bad. Easy example: An average male weighs (or should weigh) 70 kg's. Many calculations are derived values for Mr Average. So many ml's of fluid/kg/h, X amount of Kcal/kg/h.

If you do a study and take the blood glucose of lets say 1000 healthy individuals and plot them an a line, you will get a bell shaped distribution. 5% will fall outside the distribution curve to the left side and 5% will out on the right side. These values are usually discarded.

So relax. You are alive. MANY factors influence your resting and max heart rate.

A diesel engine should not be revved. A smaller 16V petrol engine gets its power from revving. But both engines will take you there.

Edited by Goodbadugly

The standard deviation of the Max HR = 220-age equation is around 7-9bpm (I'll need to dig up the source).

This means that for every 1000 people, 317 should have a MHR that is more than 7-9bpm higher or lower than the prediction, 46 should have a MHR that is more than 14-18bpm higher or lower and 3 should have a MHR that is more than 21-27bpm higher or lower. Fewer than 250 will be within 2-3bpm of the prediction.

The bell shaped distribution curve. Good explaining, Edman.

See this on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function

Edited by Goodbadugly

Interesting.

For those that dont know the 220-Age formula was developed by surgeons many years aog as a way for heart surgery patients to gauge how far they could push themselves after surgery. So in short the formula is a load of rubbish for people like me and you wanting to excercise based on heart rate.

So where does that leave all of us?

A good example is a friend of mine who is a runner. He decided to purchase a HRM and continued his normal training. To his shock he discovered that after a few hille his heart rate was 220bpm when the formula said it should be max 190ish. Off he goes to the GP who says there is nothing wrong with him but that he should see a cardiologist. Then he goes to the cardiologist and the doc says he get 3/4 patients a month all who have purchased a HRM and now think they are dying. The docs message is that everyone is different and that the only way to find your max is to be tested for it. I confirmed this at a dinner a few months ago where there was a cardiologist there.

So, In order to find out your max go to a cardiologist where he will punish you on a treadmill or find a decent hill and give it horns (serious horns) 5 times and take the highest reading from that. The discrepancy may be 7 or 8 bpm, or it may be nothing when comparing to the formula. When I use the formula it says my max is 193, however I know that if I hit 193 Ill probably be dead because I can barely hit 180 when pushing like an animal. So my max is 180.

The most important is that you have a HRM where you can input your max and set the HR to % of MAX. Heart rate is'nt everythig in training but its a pretty decent yardstick!

Edited by Zula

I found the source for the 220-Age review. The error is actually 7-11bpm.

THE SURPRISING HISTORY OF THE “HRmax=220-age” EQUATION

The graph below, showing HRmax vs. Age for 196 individuals between 11 and 33 years old illustrates the problem very well:

post-2030-0-16574600-1308299072.png

The website below has an HR max calculator based on a number of other referenced sources that may be more accurate:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

Edited by Edman

That is why we all have HR monitors ! You measure your own low/high and use those to base your training on .

I must say that I've managed to push my max HRM from 185 to 192 over the last 18mths - and as been mentioned countless times on this forum with regards to "What is my max HRM?" you need to find that out yourself by pushing your limits.

I'm 30 and my theoretical max is 190 (220 - Age). I've reached 202 on some occasions (18 years old ?!?!)

Bliksem bru, you not gonna break it?

lol the one chap that cycles with me, same age 32, well couple months older constantly pushes his 220+ where i cant get mine above 171. Though im more cycling fit he is generally more fit than I am.

Edited by covie

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if I got some humming bird genes in me :P