Bike Shop sells Cracked Frame and Tries to hide it

longweasel

The whole thing of not naming the shop is a load of BS.

This post is completely different to the recent one about CWC which got the poster into so much hot water.

In this case, the shop knew about the damage, and worse still, tried to hide it.

Who is to say that the frame could not have failed while being ridden, and put the rider in hospital?

This is not a mistake, it is straightforward deception on the part of the supplier.

Name them.

So you inspected the frame did you?

You are absolutely 100% sure of the facts from both sides of this story, are you?

What difference is the bike shop name going to make at this stage anyway?

If they are not at fault, unessecarry issues, bad press an possible legal action against the OP.

Right choice not to name them yet! If it so turns out that they tried to cover up the issue, yea, then by all means name and shame so the rest of us can purchase elsewhere.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its so good to see the consumer having the power again.With all the changes, CPA, Massmart, Internet and so on. We are all in business so the reverse is always true hence wanting to give them a chance. However having been overseas and seeing how they handle customer services we have a long way to go. A gift for the inconvenience or swiftly dealing with the issue would go a long way. So lets see what they do. If not, we will have to dance!

...so I call them at 5pm yesterday, after the promised call didn't materialise. They said they have the rep coming through this morning ("but definitely by Wednesday!") to look at the frame. This is after the guys told me on Sunday that they would get a new frame for me and start putting it together. I am smelling a serious rat in this... I have given him till lunch to get back to me, failing which I will go have a friendly chat. He still maintains it will all be fine and they will have the bike ready by Wednesday morning!

Edited by longweasel

...so I call them at 5pm yesterday, after the promised call didn't materialise. They said they have the rep coming through this morning ("but definitely by Wednesday!") to look at the frame. This is after the guys told me on Sunday that they would get a new frame for me and start putting it together. I am smelling a serious rat in this... I have given him till lunch to get back to me, failing which I will go have a friendly chat. He still maintains it will all be fine and they will have the bike ready by Wednesday morning!

What did they maintain would still be fine?

probably the approval for warranty. Sounds like they don't foresee any issues.

I suppose that a new bike will be ready, I cant believe that they will drag the supplier in. Even if they did they shouldn't involve the customer as that is their problem. They should replace the bike and sort out the rest for themselves. By involving the supplier they are admitting that it is not the customers fault and therefore should not delay in replacing it

probably the approval for warranty. Sounds like they don't foresee any issues.

I cant see that it would be a warranty claim, seen as someone tried to paint over the crack.This whole thing would be resolved quicker if that person would come forward and admit it.Seen as it wasn't and couldn't have been the customer it leaves us with very few alternatives.

My Brother in law buys a new bike from a Bike Shop (whom we wont mention just yet) as we have given them the chance to rectify the problem. On his first ride at the cheese farm on Saturday he passes the bike to me over a fence. Staring me in the face as I hold the bike above my head looking under the top tube is the crack.First thought is how did we miss this... Easy they tried to cover it up with paint or tipex. I only saw the dent from underneath and then in the sunlight saw the crack. We reckon they put the bike in a bike stand to work on the brakes which needed to be bled and over clamped it. They must have heard the crack or seen the dent because it was bad. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Well done for not splashing a name around before the problem could be rectified.

This looks more like impact damage Stretchedmustela. Clamping a bike on a tapered downtube is not practical 1, and 2, the damage would likely then be on both sides.

Either the bike has been previously ridden, or more than likely damaged while boxed, or by being (mis)placed in the shop stands.

Just a little reading between the lines here though.

I fail to see how you might have missed that in the shop when purchasing the bike, but if it was handled by them after purchase, then the damage may have occurred then, yes.

You say it was your boet-in-laws first ride. When did he establish that the brakes needed bleeding?

Is that a crack in the aluminium, or a scratch?

Hope your problem is resolved, and that the agent and shop stand by their name, and that if you receive satisfactory service, and you as the purchaser are 100% blameless, you let us know.

Hey this downtube thingy crack dent sounds familiar. Did we not see it before with that guy who was told they made them with dents and cracks, Speedlight? was it not

Hey this downtube thingy crack dent sounds familiar. Did we not see it before with that guy who was told they made them with dents and cracks, Speedlight? was it not

Use the search function.

Get back to us.

:thumbup: