Chain-L: Great reviews in Bicycling SA and Ride!!

Chain-L

Check out the great reviews by gear expert Neil Gardiner and Singlespeed guru Grant Usher in the latest issue of Bicycling SA and Ride Magazines.

Visit the Website or email me at infoatChain-L.co.za

Pricing (shipping included):

R120 for one 120ml bottle

R220 for two 120ml bottles

R320 for three 120ml bottles

Ride article now added!

Bicycling article July 2011.pdf

Ride Magazine article July 2011.pdf

Edited by Chain-L

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

read me

I'm dead keen to try some but am put off by the applicatyion method. How important is the drop-by-drop method? I'm all for the back spinning chain and continuous lube method.

Will it work on Chain L?

I'm dead keen to try some but am put off by the applicatyion method. How important is the drop-by-drop method? I'm all for the back spinning chain and continuous lube method.

Will it work on Chain L?

I use a different product but I do use the drop by drop method, it is really quick and painless to do. I just mark a link with a black marker so I don't repeat on any links.

I use a different product but I do use the drop by drop method, it is really quick and painless to do. I just mark a link with a black marker so I don't repeat on any links.

My complete chain lube regimen takes less time than it would to fetch the black marker...

I think that pretty much answers my question - I use a competitor product and the back pedal method and my chains and silent and last forever.

My complete chain lube regimen takes less time than it would to fetch the black marker...

I think that pretty much answers my question - I use a competitor product and the back pedal method and my chains and silent and last forever.

So how do you know where to stop? :unsure:

you stop after a few spins, then wipe the excess off with a cloth. You can also see where a chain has been lubed and where not

you stop after a few spins, then wipe the excess off with a cloth. You can also see where a chain has been lubed and where not

A standard chain has 117 links less a few when you install. Thats 2 and a bit back pedal revolutions for a road bike and just under 3 for a mtb (if you're in the big ring).

Easy!

Edit: hang on - I think it's 116 links...

Edited by Eldron

The Sram quick link is a different colour to the rest of the chain.

The Sram quick link is a different colour to the rest of the chain.

No quick or master link in my chain - hence the black marker

Hi Guys

One of my friends is also quite lazy and uses the backpedal method. It works fine, but it can clog if you apply to much. If you do a good job when aplying it properly, it can last you a month on a MTB and 3-6 months on a road bike (abviously depending on your mileage). I prefer that over lubing every time before I ride.

I have also stopped to remove the chain (could not get 10 speed quick links anywhere) and it works almost as well. I start at the Powerlink (SRAM's non removable link) and apply half a drop to each roller. It goes into the chain straight away and almost does not look as if there is any lube on the chain. Leave for 15 minutes and run the chain through an old cloth using the backpedal method. give the chain one more quick wipe after the initial ride and you should be good for 1000km (Grant Usher from Ride did 1350km on one application and the chain was not dry)!

Edited by Chain-L

Problem with MTB is that the chain gets dirty even after one ride. Therefore even if there is still lube on the chain, one needs to clean the chain after every 1-2 rides. In winter it is mud and in summer the dust.

i'll wait for a rider/hubber review - a mag review/advert is always fairly good.

I used Chain L for a while, not a bad lube, but too sticky in my opinion, and also too messy. Once you lube and wipe, everything is covered in oil for a few rides, so prepare yourself for a rim and rear tyre clean after every ride. This is just my opinion, but what made me change was the motor oil smell and the bland branding, as if the label was made on a Xerox copier. Maybe I am just sceptical, so not really my intention to give this product a bad review. I would however like to conclude with one word....Motorex!

I also liked it and also think it is too thick. Lasts quite a while but I had to warm it up to get it to flow out of the bottle properly. Still have about 3/4 of a bottle of anybody want to try it. R50 is a bargain. Like André Traut, I'm also on Motorex for the MTB.