Bains mtb Trails - Wellington.

The Search

White route has more variation though and there are technical bits whihc simply isn't present on the Black.  Black is great for the trees, but let's be honest, other than bits on Super G, it's hardly challenging (technically speaking, not effort-wise). 

It just seems like the black routs downs makes you forget about the long up. more then the white route does. but GREAT trail nonetheless. just wish there were some real techy freeride stuff.. some drops burms and jumps. the search? :whistling:  

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree. Prefer white - more varied with some technical bits but fun stuff first half of the ride then some more gruelling stuff second half. But much less shelter on white so if it's really hot or hailing there's no where to hide. Don't get me wrong black is also a top top ride but it's a bit of a slog to the top before the real fun down.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We did the white route this morning lots of fun as always! At the top end of the valley, just before the big climb there was a burnt log across the path and an arrow below that showing the trail going the other way. This cuts out the big climb and big descent. Has this section of trail been cut out or did we read it wrong?

• 2 months later...

Some of our routes got burned. Will keep you up to date.

Not good news.

Hopefully it is not too bad.

Black and Yellow routes is closed because of the recent fire. The last few kms of the white route was also damaged but we will try and fix it before the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All routes are open. Enjoy.

Not really.

Went there today to do the black route, and as we were about to cross the tar road we found the trail closed from there onwards. Would have been really nice if this was indicated at the shop, which was closed.

So we were forced to do the white route, which I really did not want to do because of this terrible wind as it is always bad in the valley. We were basically blasted all over the place.

To say I did not enjoy the ride would be an understatement. Should rather have done something else.  :mellow:

Not really.

Went there today to do the black route, and as we were about to cross the tar road we found the trail closed from there onwards. Would have been really nice if this was indicated at the shop, which was closed.

So we were forced to do the white route, which I really did not want to do because of this terrible wind, which is always bad in the valley. We were basically blasted all over the place.

I hope this gets sorted. The best part about the trails in Wellington is on the other side of the tar road

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about doing the Black Route this weekend - can anyone confirm if this is open at the moment?

Thinking about doing the Black Route this weekend - can anyone confirm if this is open at the moment?

Gravel travel this weekend, so perhaps phone Welvanpas to find out if open to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what is going on at Welvenpas.  The black route is closed , i was told there is a dispute with the neighbour.  Any hubbers have further info.  Its my favourite route and i would be really gutted if this will be permanent.

I heard that the owner of the land isn't so keen on having people on the land anymore and that there hasn't been any headway in terms of sorting it out. I spend lots of time in Paarl and the surrounds and it will be a real shame if it closes permanently.

NOTE: this is what I have heard and it may be an incomplete truth.

Archived