Garmin Vector is out

Guest agteros

Guest agteros

Garmin announced that their pedal based power meter will be available from March 2012, with a suggested retail price of $1,500.

The price a bit too steep perhaps?

An excerpt from the above article:

Wizardry behind the watts
: Vector works by measuring the normal deflection in the pedal spindle as you pedal, throughout your entire pedal stroke. By comparing the measured deflection to a factory-calibrated deflection caused by a known load, Vector can determine how much force you’re applying to the pedal. With force measurements, the cadence measurements from Vector’s integrated accelerometers, and time, Vector accurately calculates watts. The force sensors are permanently and securely sealed within the pedal spindle, one of the most robust components on the bike.

Get an ‘Edge’ on the competition
: For users already using a Garmin Edge® 800 or Edge 500 cycling computer, adding a Vector power meter will take their training to the next level. Not only will the Edge display total power, left and right leg power, and cadence, it will now also display in real-time the widely adopted power metrics from TrainingPeaks™: Normalized Power (NP ™), Intensity Factor (IF ™) and Training Stress Score (TSS ™). The Edge 800 adds a new interval summary page to enhance the power-based training experience.

“Vector’s easy-to-own design has the potential to make power-based training more accessible and usable by a broader range of athletes,” said Hunter Allen, founder of Peaks Coaching Group and widely regarded as a leading expert in training with a power meter. “In addition, by integrating the TrainingPeaks metrics of Normalized Power, Intensity Factor and Training Stress Score directly into the Edge head units for real-time display, Garmin continues to demonstrate a strong commitment to advancing power-based cycling tools.”

Vector will be available in March 2012 and will have a suggested retail price of $1,499.99.

Edited by agteros

Agreed, price seems a bit steep. Will probably be around R15000 locally, putting it out of reach of many. Carbon fibre Look KEO? I need a cheap steel SPD.

Where are the talks that it would be as little as a third of all the other power meters??? This was suppose to be the product that bring power training to the masses

Re the price: The design was done by a company called Metrigear, who was bought by Garmin recently. If it had come to the market under the Metrigear brand, I think it would have been more aggressively priced to gain entry. Now tat it will be sold as a Garmin, they won't worry so much about having the lowest price. It offers advantages over all current systems on the market, in that it will be very easy to move between bikes, and will work with any crankset and wheels. I don't think R12-13k is a bad price.

It works on the same principals as the Polar LOOK version. Don't know how the prices will compare. Maybe MR LOOK can shed some light on this

Re the price: The design was done by a company called Metrigear, who was bought by Garmin recently. If it had come to the market under the Metrigear brand, I think it would have been more aggressively priced to gain entry. Now tat it will be sold as a Garmin, they won't worry so much about having the lowest price. It offers advantages over all current systems on the market, in that it will be very easy to move between bikes, and will work with any crankset and wheels. I don't think R12-13k is a bad price.

until you use them on your mtb and your pedals hit a rock ! :unsure:

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

That is a total rip off. Quarq + Garmin Edge 500 you can get off Chaninreaction for less.

That is a total rip off. Quarq + Garmin Edge 500 you can get off Chaninreaction for less.

True, but you can't run the same quarq on both your track and road bikes.

What ever happened that guy here on the Hub that was going to develop a system. He said it was not that difficult or expensive.

Guest agteros

The Keo Power will be available/released the last week in October. The suggested retail is said to be 2000Euro. I'll post a few pics of the Keo Power a bit later on.

That is like ... > R20,000.00? (Google: 1 Euro = 10.3118611 South African Rands)

For the Garmins @ $1,499.99 = ~R10,800 (Google: 1 U.S. dollar = 7.19900942 South African Rands)

You're kidding us!

Edited by agteros

That is like ... > R20,000.00? (Google: 1 Euro = 10.3118611 South African Rands)

For the Garmins @ $1,499.99 = ~R10,800 (Google: 1 U.S. dollar = 7.19900942 South African Rands)

You're kidding us!

That is a lot of money. Who is going to buy one of these

It will include a CS600 head unit. Who will buy them?.....I predict they'll sell like hotcakes!

It will include a CS600 head unit. Who will buy them?.....I predict they'll sell like hotcakes!

I would be interested. Will have to start saving ;)