The transformation

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Can we see it in the light? :drool: want to see the metallic.. :drool:

You can see it in person when we do the work at Tokai!

Oh - dude - that new kicker on Vasbyt confused the HELL outta me yesterday!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet you P or S is going to set up the next build day in no time at all :D

Oh - dude - that new kicker on Vasbyt confused the HELL outta me yesterday!

It will need to bed in before it starts to shine.. careful! It kicks hard!

It will need to bed in before it starts to shine.. careful! It kicks hard!

I know! It almost kicked me off! Granted, I was confused and didn't have enough speed, but it neds to be refined so that you can use it for both left & right fork...

Ja, when I got to the site the plank had already been pulled! Sorry 'bout that..it was never part of the plan to break up the jump.. The take-off was well on it's way, so I literally threw my toys to get the jump to work both ways.. It's not quite there yet, but am well aware of it. B)

Edited by Pain or Shine

Ja, when I got to the site the plank had already been pulled! Sorry 'bout that..it was never part of the plan to break up the jump.. The take-off was well on it's way, so I literally threw my toys to get the jump to work both ways.. It's not quite there yet, but am well aware of it. B)

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

We'll just have to put it back, won't we? B)

• 4 weeks later...

AAAAAAAAAAAAND.....

DONE!

I just want to re-cut the derailleur housing, as it is a bit skeef at the moment. Also, just need to adjust the brakes, and I will be fitting my 180mm disc to the rear. Managed to jimmy-rig the adapter so that it fits the frame, and that it will accept a 180mm disc. That's going on tomorrow morning. There are also a couple of chips in the paint that happened whilst assembling. I'll be putting the bike next to the heater tonight, so that it can harden. I'll also touch it up tomorrow morning.

So, here she is. In all her glory. And I must say - I'm pretty chuffed with her!

Now to go for the test ride! But first - bed. It's been a long day...

post-3056-0-89030100-1315012815.jpg

wow, veeeeeerrrrry nice build there. Looks great. wld love to see this in the flesh some time. you really did it justice and breather new life into this classic. well done dude. how does she ride btw?

was riding up the main fire road from 4 to 5, and then down the DH tracks. 5, 4 & 3 (vasbyt) until the last of the jumps. Then my roots.

Where were you riding?

Hi cptmayhem: maybe a silly question, seeing as i skipped a few pages to the final result - damn fine job by the way.

Ahem the silly question is this: is it an alumnium frame? :blush: . I am thinking it would be cool to tackle my old steed and give her a new breath of colour.

Those step by step instructions you gave are very good.

wow, veeeeeerrrrry nice build there. Looks great. wld love to see this in the flesh some time. you really did it justice and breather new life into this classic. well done dude. how does she ride btw?

Shot guy. She rides perfectly. Not too bouncy, but super plush and she just soaks up the bumps. Really is too good for my skillset at the moment, and has saved me a fair few times.

She needs to be ridden this weekend though - I've had a bit of "off time" thanks to flu & concussion, and am back on it now. Just got myself a new lid as well, so the fun can begin! Work has also been hectic, so not much time for play recently.

Saying that, I have a little voice in my ear telling me to buy a FOX DHX 5 for the rear... Have to give him a klap every now & then. Spending on the bike has been curtailed, seeing as she is already far too good for me.

Hi cptmayhem: maybe a silly question, seeing as i skipped a few pages to the final result - damn fine job by the way.

Ahem the silly question is this: is it an alumnium frame? :blush: . I am thinking it would be cool to tackle my old steed and give her a new breath of colour.

Those step by step instructions you gave are very good.

Frame is alu, 6000 series. It's actually quite light for a DH frame (approx 3 kg or so) but the rest of the components (especially the 2002 boxxer) weigh her down a bit. I told a roadie mate of mine (who rides a fully loaded carbon FOCUS rig) to pick her up, and he almost bust a gut.

Saying that, I have a little voice in my ear telling me to buy a FOX DHX 5 for the rear... Have to give him a klap every now & then. Spending on the bike has been curtailed, seeing as she is already far too good for me.

Frame is alu, 6000 series. It's actually quite light for a DH frame (approx 3 kg or so) but the rest of the components (especially the 2002 boxxer) weigh her down a bit. I told a roadie mate of mine (who rides a fully loaded carbon FOCUS rig) to pick her up, and he almost bust a gut.

I had a chance to weigh the frame before you took it. Was 5kg including the rear axle and shock (if I remember correctly). And yeah, the shock could use an upgrade :P

I had a chance to weigh the frame before you took it. Was 5kg including the rear axle and shock (if I remember correctly). And yeah, the shock could use an upgrade :P

HA ha, when I replaced my shock it made such a difference!!

:lol:

OWEEEEE!!!

...It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

...so obey that voice! hahaha!

I had a DHX 5 on my Yeti AS-X, and a Vanilla RC on my Morewood Izimu. When I sold the Yeti I put the DHX 5 on my Morewood (luckily they were the same size)... and man it's made the ride soo much better!

Edited by patches

...It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

...so obey that voice! hahaha!

I had a DHX 5 on my Yeti AS-X, and a Vanilla RC on my Morewood Izimu. When I sold the Yeti I put the DHX 5 on my Morewood (luckily they were the same size)... and man it's made the ride soo much better!

Thing is, I've been listening to that voice a bit too often lately! And yes, it is so much easier to ask forgiveness. I know from experience - the bike was in my boot for 2 weeks before I broke the news to her...