Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Ha :) ... I'm in the same boat .... got caught too this morning between Newlands and Cape town CBD.

Clothes stacked all over the air-con in the office now. It worked before, dried it like that before I had to go home, ..... all-though today might be different, got drenched right through.

As a consolation, it only matters for the first km, after that the body heats up anyway :) ... also, my commute is only 13k's ...

Hope you get sorted.

That is also my commute also 13km.

I have hung up the wet stuff in my open plan office. It may start making a smell :P

See you on the road maybe

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just end up putting my wet clothes into my bag, and then putting them on wet in the afternoon. If it has stopped raining they'll dry on the way home. If it's raining then I'm wet already  ;)

Broke a nipple on the rear wheel whilst commuting home late yesterday afternoon, riding through some debris ..

What a mess trying to replace a single nipple on a wheel with yellow tape and slime at 8pm ….. got it all back together again within 45 minutes, but the work area took me another hour to clean up   

No easy way around it ..... but at least I had all the parts at hand to get the job done, and be back on the road again this morning.  :D 

.... a HRM chest strap can double-up as a belt ..... if it has too.  :ph34r:

Forgot to pack my @#$@!! belt again commuting to the office this morning....

.... a HRM chest strap can double-up as a belt ..... if it has too.  :ph34r:

Forgot to pack my @#$@!! belt again commuting to the office this morning....

Yesterday morning after having a shower post commute, my belt fell on the floor as I took it out my bag and the buckle broke into a couple pieces. No fixing it Macgyver style either  :(

Walked around the whole day yesterday pulling my pants up, was rather frustrating. No HRM strap to use because that stopped working a couple weeks back already  :(

Yesterday morning after having a shower post commute, my belt fell on the floor as I took it out my bag and the buckle broke into a couple pieces. No fixing it Macgyver style either  :(

Walked around the whole day yesterday pulling my pants up, was rather frustrating. No HRM strap to use because that stopped working a couple weeks back already  :(

I used to have an extra pair of shoes, socks, underwear and belt in the office.

Anyone commuting from Centurion to Midrand?

See I have about 16 km of air sniffing and car dodging to go...

Would like to meet up with someone who already does this just to make sure I survive my 1st trip.  :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Doing your grocery b shopping closer to work rather than closer to home is a very bad idea, and 18kg backpack does not make for pleasant riding.

Just to reiterate what most are thinking,I was reminded a few times this week why a lot of us do not like putco bus drivers!

Commuting in this cold is actually enjoyable! (Unless you riding passed a spruit) then it's k@k cold!

First ride into work since my hip replacement.

Took it easy - arrived at work - no pain! (22km). It is such a great feeling; previous to the surgery I'd be growling at everyone and limping around the office.

Looking forward to the trip home this afternoon.

I'm still euphoric. I'll probably hit the metaphorical wall later and be sending emails with my forehead.

But I. Don't. Care.

:)

Clipped a bloody guy standing at a bus stop in the middle of a cycling path yesterday afternoon.  Idiot decided (he was watching me approaching, then ever so slightly moved back as I was about to pass him.  So it was either the bloody moron or the buss stop.  Clipped most of his bag, but managed to stay on the bike to continue on my way.  So watch out guys going down Meiring Naude.  That new bus stop is a bitch, and now the people waiting for the bus, leans on the pole infront of the bus stop (oh don't expect them to stand on the inside of the bus stop.  Oh no, why would they do that.  Much better blocking the paths for other users)

My elbow is killing me on the bike  Was fine this morning, but decided to take the car to get home tonight, kinda dull pain if I hold on to the handle bars and if I try to move the arm :(

Took it easy - arrived at work - no pain! (22km). It is such a great feeling; previous to the surgery I'd be growling at everyone and limping around the office.

I'm still euphoric. I'll probably hit the metaphorical wall later and be sending emails with my forehead']

That's the way just do it! Listen to your body though.

But I. Don't. Care.

Edited by Sepia

Doing your grocery b shopping closer to work rather than closer to home is a very bad idea, and 18kg backpack does not make for pleasant riding.

Just to reiterate what most are thinking,I was reminded a few times this week why a lot of us do not like putco bus drivers!

Commuting in this cold is actually enjoyable! (Unless you riding passed a spruit) then it's k@k cold!

One thing that I started noting is that some of the spruit areas have a smell of **** emitting from them.  Like untreated sewage. It is more prone in the winter time than in summer time. 

I'm still euphoric. I'll probably hit the metaphorical wall later and be sending emails with my forehead']

That's the way. Just do it! Listen to your body though.

Edited by Sepia

That's the way. Just do it! Listen to your body though.

Thanks, will do, my doc says push yourself but not too much. Commuting twice a week with one recreational ride at the weekend.

No mountain biking yet, just smooth road stuff.