Helderberg MTB Route

TYGA

I noticed some trail signs and arrows between the Blaauwklippen and Eikendal Roads and was wondering if anyone had any details of what is being planned there? I believe the Wannabee club is involved...all I can say is big up and thank you to the guys that are working on land access in the area as this is going to make my SSW to Stellies commute a lot more interesting.

I would also like to know, my mtb does not like that tar section on the R44 between Stellies and SW.

Did you guys see the route marked out in Eden & Gspot over the weekend? There was something going on?

The signs said "Focus 2"

The Wannabee club have marked out four routes joining all the wine farms between Longridge and Stellenzicht (You can access from either side). They are free to use and all I can tell you is that the Black route is a bitch.

Yup, a bit more specific please Big JD

I have been looking for an off road route from SW to Stellies forever!

Edited by Tankman

Eikendal Road is just past Avontuur on the R44 when going from SSW to Stellies.

Go up it a kilo or three and Longridge is on your left, it's that mother of a sore tooth blue roof you can see off the eastern side of the R44 which has been so cunningly blended into the backdrop of mountains and vineyards.

The Wannabee's website has some detail but no maps. There's talk of a 35km route with 1200 worth of climbing. I've ridden above Ernie Els before and it was steep as can be.

It would be great if access can be arranged from Helderberg Farm across to Longridge and then further along to Stellies asing this route, I suspect they are working on it.

post-3611-0-24390000-1316505489.jpg

Rode the yellow route as part of my commute to work this morning...from Longridge to Stellenzicht probably took around 45 minutes.

I expected a mellow cruise through some vineyards but the route was tougher than I anticipated, a couple of short but nasty little climbs.

I was on a hopelessly undergeared for commuting singlespeed, from Steynsrust to our offices in Technopark 1H15 in total, I am sure it can be done in an hour or less if you ride a geared bike, eat breakfast and leave the backpack at home.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys, I know this thread was last active a year ago, but If any of you can respond..

Are there ways to get from Stellenzight further to Somerset west, or Lourensford in particular?

I play there every morning, and I must say, Big up Wannabees. I joined them just to ride these trails, thought the least I can do. The trails higher up is actually for members only (Bilton, Stellenzicht, etc)

On the other side of the R44, they also have 25km odd marked trails and jeep track, but not as nice as the ones in the Mountain.

What would be awesome is if we can have something that connects Stellenbosch and Somerset West along the mountain, coming down Lourensford... :)

Hi guys, I know this thread was last active a year ago, but If any of you can respond..

Are there ways to get from Stellenzight further to Somerset west, or Lourensford in particular?

Officially, NO, unnoficially, YES MAYBE. :)

I love the blue route at the vodacom tower...the non mountain side.

That quickie breaks me everytime!