[Event] The Herald VW Cycle Tour 2012

Cuba

Event Name: The Herald VW Cycle Tour 2012
When: 4 February 2012
Where: Addo Polo Club, Eastern Cape
Category: MTB

Welcome to The Herald VW Cycle Tour

The weekend-long festival of cycling kicks off with the mountain bike challenge in Addo on Saturday the 4th February followed by the road events in Port Elizabeth on Sunday 5th February 2012.

The 105km Classic, which starts and finishes at Hobie Beach is known for its scenic coastal route around the “wild side” of the city. The supporting road events for the Classic will be the 70km Pursuit and 40km Challenge. The 21km Leisure Ride, 2km Kiddies’ Ride and 500m Toddlers’ Dash provide more family-friendly options, with proceeds being donated to the children’s charity Reach for a Dream.

On the mountain biking side, the 80km Extreme and 60km Adventure races have been streamlined to provide a better off-road experience, while the shortened 30km Leisure Challenge is aimed at fun riders. The 5km Kiddies’ Challenge and 500m Toddlers’ Dash complete the categories.

The Waya-Waya and Kiddies Play Land, at the road events, will keep cyclists and supporters entertained throughout the weekend.

Go to Event Page

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown: Just wish PPA and CSA can sort out their internal problems so I can enter!

I have a feeling I wont be able to get an entry for the 30km MTB and 70km Road by the time they sort everthing out...not cool! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a tremendous amount of time and effort put in to make this the best Herald race to date! Have a look at the new single track. Online entries will close soon, so don't snooze! Click the link to see what awaits you at the 2012 Herald Cycle Tour!

Edited by Bennie Dikwiel

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Ok, when I enter a MTB race and plan to pack my tent the heavens open :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Can those of you who know the route well comment on what effect the rain will have on the route. Is the ground mostly compacted or will it be slow progress through mud?</p>

It has been p1ssing it down for a few days now and I have heard runours that they had to change some of the route. Can anyone confirm this and also update us on the state of the track?

Much appreciated

Thank goodness I only entered the 105 km road race this year as the conditions at the mtb event are going to be very wet and muddy.The race is usually tough but a good test,however,with all this rain,it is not going to be too much fun.

It has been p1ssing it down for a few days now and I have heard runours that they had to change some of the route. Can anyone confirm this and also update us on the state of the track?

Much appreciated

:(

post-14134-0-01273400-1328253635.jpg

<p>It is bucketing down in the Addo, Kirkwood, Sunland area.........difficult to drive around in a bakkie on the roads as is? When will we know if they are going to cancel this MTB race</p>

Hi.

Could someone just confirm if there will be route changes or not? If the single tracks get cut, some of us would rather stay at home than getting wet riding on gravel roads. Personal preference I guess. But it would be nice to get some info before making that decision.

Thanks

Edited by Shorty

Hi.

Could someone just confirm if there will be route changes or not? If the single tracks get cut, some of us would rather stay at home than getting wet riding on gravel roads. Personal preference I guess. But it would be nice to get some info before making that decision.

Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of doom & gloom, but I have just received official confirmation from the organizers that the singletrack had to be cut out of the race. The race will still go ahead though.

Sorry to be the bearer of doom & gloom, but I have just received official confirmation from the organizers that the singletrack had to be cut out of the race. The race will still go ahead though.

Thanks for letting us know. The question now is wether its worth trashing my bike in the mud and rain for a lesser route...

Thanks for letting us know. The question now is wether its worth trashing my bike in the mud and rain for a lesser route...

I have also pre-entered, but after my previous expensive mudbath experience I had at the Katberg Mtb Challenge, I will probably chicken out of this one.

I and a number of my friends have all called it a day. Just too much damage gets caused by the mud. Grinding past :devil: . Live to ride another day.Sad ,as I believe the new tracks were fantastic.On the plus side my wheels have got new Stan's in them :clap: