So how's your Epic training coming along?

For the hardened Epic veterans it might feel like just going through the paces, but being a newby in the field Im quite nervious about prepping as best as I can.

Whats been done :

Training started on 17 October

168 hours completed (All forms of training)

2677km ridden (80% mtb)

Some cross training (running, swimming, core exercises etc)

The plan for the next few months:

Attakwas

Barberton Ultra-marathon

Sabie Classic Ultra-marathon

So far I'm on track with my training plan, guess Attakwas will be a good tester to see how good the plan was.

How are your training plans coming along?

Edited by IdeJongh

Also my first and also quite nervous that I am not training enough. When I think about it though I am doing as much as my time allow me and I am still enjoying it, which I think is most important.

Will also be doing Baberton 75 and Sabie ultra.

Good luck.

Also my first and also quite nervous that I am not training enough. When I think about it though I am doing as much as my time allow me and I am still enjoying it, which I think is most important.

Will also be doing Baberton 75 and Sabie ultra.

Good luck.

Exactly, Im doing as much as I can, just hoping it's enough.

Don't over do it and also be very careful not to pick up an injury now. 2 months left of training then taper and little speed work. You will get through it. No point in stressing. It only makes you want to try harder and easier to pick up an injury. Good luck and see you there.

Don't over do it and also be very careful not to pick up an injury now. 2 months left of training then taper and little speed work. You will get through it. No point in stressing. It only makes you want to try harder and easier to pick up an injury. Good luck and see you there.

Agree with Top Fuel. Watch out for over training. Remember resting your body is just as important as the training rides.

I'm doing the 16 week Polar programme. I am now in week 5, with my max/peak week being 12 hours in week 11. I also run twice a week for an hour at a time for some cross fitness.

See you there.

Agree with Top Fuel. Watch out for over training. Remember resting your body is just as important as the training rides.

I'm doing the 16 week Polar programme. I am now in week 5, with my max/peak week being 12 hours in week 11. I also run twice a week for an hour at a time for some cross fitness.

See you there.

WOW!! im in a series of 20hour weeks currently :blink: You telling me i could have spent almost 9 hours on the couch??? :clap:

Go to www.fittrack.co.za

Bought the intermediate 12 week program from them for 180ZAR and they look clued up.

Average about 13hours per week including races. Mainly ride Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sat/Sun. Not too bad at all.

Andrew Mclean recommended the program and met the lady who developed it over the weekend. They know what they are talking about.

Other than that, a bit of cross training (running/swimming to get through IM70.3) and that's about it.

See you guys at the start.

CROSSTRAINING....

I am riding with a Brazilian. while I Run, Swim, Yoga he only seems to be alternating the object he is riding :lol:

He says its all about stamina and core strenth :blink:

For the hardened Epic veterans it might feel like just going through the paces, but being a newby in the field Im quite nervious about prepping as best as I can.

Whats been done :

Training started on 17 October

168 hours completed (All forms of training)

2677km ridden (80% mtb)

Some cross training (running, swimming, core exercises etc)

The plan for the next few months:

Attakwas

Barberton Ultra-marathon

Sabie Classic Ultra-marathon

So far I'm on track with my training plan, guess Attakwas will be a good tester to see how good the plan was.

How are your training plans coming along?

If you finish Baberton and Sabie marathon distance comfortably you will probably be ok for the Epic. The Attakwas is as tough as any Epic stage so if you come through that you are on track. Also, the Ultra's have an 80km cutoff time and if you make that your pace is probably good for a comfortable finish. Don't despair if you don't make that mark. There are plenty riders who can't make that time but still manage to finish the Epic. It just means you are in for long days. Your challenge is to get your head right, make sure your team mate is right and make sure you do not fall and do yourself a bad injury.

The Epic is more technical than Baberton and Sabie but Attakwas will be a good tester here.

On the technical side this is not the time to start trying technical stuff you have not done before. Plenty riders drop out each year in the last few months with broken bones. You are also likely to end up walking the real technical stuff in the Epic unless you are in the top 25% of the field (because everybody else is walking) so you don't need to ride everything to finish.

This will be my 4th and I have done about 145 hrs since October so your hours are good. Can't comment on your distance because this depends on what sort of riding you are doing.

CROSSTRAINING....

I am riding with a Brazilian. while I Run, Swim, Yoga he only seems to be alternating the object he is riding :lol:

He's right.

I once had sore core muscles (mainly stomach and lower back) for almost a week. No bike ride would've given me that!

CROSSTRAINING....

Go and see what the pro's do before a week or longer tour. There will bo no fannying about with running and crap. It's all about time in the saddle.

Go and see what the pro's do before a week or longer tour. There will bo no fannying about with running and crap. It's all about time in the saddle.

seems to be THAT is all my mate is doing

The Epic is just around the corner and I must admit that the nerves are getting to me as its my first :unsure:

I have logged about 140hrs since mid October but had relativly good fitness going into Epic training. Nov/Dec/January seems to be long miles at relativly easy pace LSD and Tempo rides with a set of intervals or hills once a week.

My problem is trying to have a consistant week of training 15-20 hrs does not happen and needs to change fast.

See you at Attakwas, Barbaton and Saronsberg also the Knysna 300. Did Attakwas last year in 8hrs so hoping to do a bit better this year.

Very worried about the first 4 stages of Epic as my only experience is Sani x2, W2W x2 so this 8 day thing will be a shock!

:o

The Epic is just around the corner and I must admit that the nerves are getting to me as its my first :unsure:

I have logged about 140hrs since mid October but had relativly good fitness going into Epic training. Nov/Dec/January seems to be long miles at relativly easy pace LSD and Tempo rides with a set of intervals or hills once a week.

My problem is trying to have a consistant week of training 15-20 hrs does not happen and needs to change fast.

See you at Attakwas, Barbaton and Saronsberg also the Knysna 300. Did Attakwas last year in 8hrs so hoping to do a bit better this year.

Very worried about the first 4 stages of Epic as my only experience is Sani x2, W2W x2 so this 8 day thing will be a shock!

:o

Dont worry sharky, CE 2011 was my 2nd ever stage race (1st was Hogsback = 3 days) and i was also worried about the 8 day thing..... TBH the 8 days was not a big issue.

Try and "over simulate" the epic week by including 2 or 3 longer than 8 day (9 - 10 days) training weeks between now and your taper period, using the weekends to do some real LSD rides (6 - 8 hrs). These long weeks should all be done at LSD intensity (easy).

An update - did a 200km road ride yesterday with about 2200m ascent. Legs felt good and did some hill sprints near the end.

See you guys at Attakwas!

post-5558-0-92409400-1326091069.jpg