Tire choice 29 er

Newboy

I just threw my RK's in the bin and replaced them with Specialized Captain Controls, much happier :thumbup:

Never heard of those before. How do they compare price wise to RK's, and what would the equivalent Maxxis be?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of those before. How do they compare price wise to RK's, and what would the equivalent Maxxis be?

Oi compliments of the season young man!

I paid about the same price for the Captains (from my son in laws bike shop) as I did for the RK's (from my mates at Cajees)

I didn't like the RK's, too prone to punctures, sidewall cuts, leaking air and very little grip in technical stuff! The Captains are a bit more 'agressive' but probably have a higher rolling resistance ...... (see I can also talk like the ekspets but I doubt anyone will take me seriously ;) )

Only Maxxis I know are Xmarks sorry!

Oi compliments of the season young man!

Right back at you, old man.

Might give the Captains a look then. I didn't want RK's, as too many people complain about sidewall cuts, and many punctures.

Racing Ralph Snakeskin :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did the Sabiexperience on them in Desember and i love them,strong light and grips perfect!!

RR Snakes 2.35 thumbup1.gif

Maxxis Minion comes in a 29" tire now... If you want superb grip in all conditions, as well as a high volume tire, they are the bomb. Yes, they are a bit heavier, but they are awesome tires.

Otherwise, maybe the Ignitor 29 / Ardent 29?Ignitor Ardent

Can;t speak from experience as I'm on a 26" bike but I think the Maxxis Ardent with the EXO sidewall protection should offer the grip and protection you need. Paired it with an Ikon or Aspen on the back and you should be laughing mate :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I got myself the Racing Ralph's Snakeskin. I will give them a try.

I didn't want RK's, as too many people complain about sidewall cuts, and many punctures.

I was a big RK fan but eventually had a sidewall problem - almost insignificant when considering the amount of mileage I did on them but still...

If you like the RK but want something a bit tougher try the Ritchey WCS Shield. Similar thread pattern and rolling resistance but better sidewall and a bit more grip on the edges. I'm running them front and rear.

Yes I kow there has been a million topics on this and I have read them all.

My Crossmarks LUST's are nearing end of life and needs to be replaced. They are bullet proof and I never had a puncture on them. They don't grip the best though.

I ride a SC Tallboy. I want tires that I can do Epic with, i will probably go through one set before therace and replace them once.

I am looking for something that is firstly reliable and secondly with a bit more grip than the Crossmarks. I am not too hung up on weight but rolling resistance is important. I had Mountainkings and did not like the roll on them.

I am considering Racing Ralph Snakeskin. Anybody have opinions on them? Do they cut or puncture easily?

Also under consideration is Geax Saguro back and Geax Aka front. Any opinions on them?

Any other recommendations?

I run Continental X King [front] and Race King [rear] PROTECTION on both the 26" and 29" bikes - the grip is excellent on most surfaces, although I must confess I have not ridden the X King in very muddy conditions.

The wear is reasonable, but the biggest advantage comes from the sidewall of the Protection version: it is uncanny how well it works, even in the most rockiest of terrain.

I'm sure someone has written this before, but one tip when you fit the tyres and wish to run them tubeless - give them a good wipe on the inside with surgical spirits before you fit them [i guess methylated spirits will also work] - it keeps the sealant from leaking through the pin holes that manufacturers leave in the tyre.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I got myself the Racing Ralph's Snakeskin. I will give them a try.

you won't be disappointed.

Happy Hoopin

:rolleyes:

Maxxis Minion comes in a 29" tire now... If you want superb grip in all conditions, as well as a high volume tire, they are the bomb. Yes, they are a bit heavier, but they are awesome tires.

Otherwise, maybe the Ignitor 29 / Ardent 29?Ignitor Ardent

Which minion are you refering to? I see there is quite a difference between the DHF and the DHR.

And where on earth do we buy these things?

Edited by Carrot

F refers to "front", R refers to "rear"....

In my case, it'll be DHF all the way. As far as I know, however, it is only the DHF that is in production at the moment...

Ah ok, (blush). I'd very much like to try the front tyre, very, very much. As soon as months end arrives and i find it in a store -_-

Ps, the link in your sig doesn't work.

Ralph Evo's front, and Conti Mountain King Back, Works well, but will definetely use Conti's throughout on next change,picked up a fair amount of sidewall damage on Ralph's. But the real question is, Why are tyres so expensive in general? R 600? Nearly the same as my bakkie.