Santa Cruz Blur TRc

LazyTrailRider

So I've been thinking about a next ride, even though my Intense 5.5 is still serving me (very) well. The problem is, once you've ridden boutique, it feels kinda silly to consider anything else. Big-name production brands just seem bland and not-quite-awesome-enough, even with tons of new releases and lots of marketing hype.

From the start, I reserved myself to the fact that I'd only be turned on by bikes from the following stables:

- Intense

- Santa Cruz

- Turner

- Pivot

- Cove

- Yeti

In addition, I've realised over the past year or two that I'm not really an all-out AM rider. Yes, I like bombing downhill and launching stuff, but I'm also all for going all-out on the pedals for 2 hours across a wide variety of climbs and flattish bits. Most real AM bikes get you to the top of the hill, but you won't kick any 29er ass in the process...

The bottom line is, something like my 5.5 is perfect. It has enough travel to keep up with the big guns going downhill (in smooth, experienced hands), but it's also sharp-handling (many call it nervous, due to the steep HA) enough to whip some XC butt when the mood strikes. Perfect balance for someone like me who has ridden BMX, DH, XC and everything inbetween for more than 20 years.

So what's next?

Well well well, Santa Cruz now has what I think is the perfect machine for me:

How can one resist a bike described as an "unorthodox, borderline mental, Marmite trail missile"?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-santa-cruz-blur-trc-trail-carbon-spx-12-45495/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/mountain/1320407785781-1gp41qbfdqwhs-500-90-500-70.jpg

http://www.velovert.com/photos/news/zooms/e697ffe0d929d6e44a3e7b3ffbc5411f1302938430.jpg

http://spokemagazine.com/files/2011/06/bike-trip-bike.jpg

Now to start saving up. She's not cheap...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

William Kieth from that name sake LBS has one ... give him a shout and find out more about his experiences on the bike

Hi Martin

Don't want to burst your bubble here, but the TRc is receiving mixed reviews.

I am a santa cruz follower and have had more than 10 SC's over the years, currently on a Blue xc carbon, so I love their bikes.

The slack steerer angle (i think around 67.5 degrees) and low bb height restrict the potential of an otherwise great bike, that is the TRc.

Personally (and my needs seem similar to yours) I would go for the Blur LT carbon. Still considered by many as the best bike ever made. And for good reason.

Basically, I am just suggesting that before you part with R50k and don't get much change, make sure you are buying the right bike :thumbup:

Hi Martin

Don't want to burst your bubble here, but the TRc is receiving mixed reviews.

I am a santa cruz follower and have had more than 10 SC's over the years, currently on a Blue xc carbon, so I love their bikes.

The slack steerer angle (i think around 67.5 degrees) and low bb height restrict the potential of an otherwise great bike, that is the TRc.

Personally (and my needs seem similar to yours) I would go for the Blur LT carbon. Still considered by many as the best bike ever made. And for good reason.

Basically, I am just suggesting that before you part with R50k and don't get much change, make sure you are buying the right bike :thumbup:

I hear you crackajack, the low BB and slack HA are very specific characteristics that (as everyone points out) don't suit everyone. It's a love-it-or-hate-it thing. My thinking is that it may suit me though, which is why I'm so interested...

I think it's best to get a real-world opinion (and a spin on one) to confirm. I suspect most people will feel uncomfortable on it. Hairy, thanks, I'll give William a shout as an option!

Greg Minnaar rates it as his favourite bike of all time, even though we obviously have to take his sponsored opinion with a pinch of salt.

The problem with the Blur LTc is that it's very similar to my bike, but in carbon.

Out of interest, what about an Ibis? From my (very limited) understanding they seem to be the so called "do-it-all" kind of bike..

I rode this bike a couple of weeks ago... ITS AMAZING! Takes some getting used to - neither XC/trail nor DH geometry, but really great ride. Having said that, I'm sure all of the above-mentioned brands will make great bikes.

post-4529-0-66565800-1326191339.jpg

This frame also has been getting great reviews and the carbon version is almost available...

post-4529-0-61491500-1326192046.jpg

Edited by ichnusa

Out of interest, what about an Ibis? From my (very limited) understanding they seem to be the so called "do-it-all" kind of bike..

True, but I just don't like their looks (no offence, Crow).

Howzit Martin

As others have mentioned the geometry of the TRc is very much a love it or hate it. Personally I have ridden everything from an Ibis to a Kona, dw-link, maestro and Magic Link suspension. The attached pick is my current weapon of choice and I fall into the category of Love it, including the VPP suspension. The slack geometry suits me as I enjoy pushing the limits on descents. The bike does have some cons which depending on what you like, but they are manageable. The slack head angle makes for a bit of wandering when you climb steep hills slowly. Solved that relatively acceptably with a narrow handlebar. Rewards you hansomly on the descents though. The lower BB allows corning that is seriously impressive and fast. Downside when you are doing some seriously rocky terraine like Puffadder at Karkloof you tend to smack the pedals a little more often than what you would like. So fast flowing single track is what this machine is designed for.

Despite any shortcomings this bike rewards in areas that other bikes are just acceptable in. Most those who do not appreciate it prefer bikes at completely the opposite ends of the spectrum ie. Pure XC or More All Mountain/DH. This bike easily performs as well as my previous 6 inch travel bikes and handles XC applications better than my previous XC bikes. If it is possible to get a test ride before you buy then do it as you might just find that you are the guy who hates the geometry once you are on it and then you are 50K down.

As Cool as this bike is. It definately is not for everyone, but if you rode greater travel bikes in the past it surprises you as to how well this shorter travel in between actually compares.

Good luck with your choice.

post-26221-0-15649300-1326196254.jpg

No worries. wink.gif Just so you know we are very much on the same page when it comes to our next bike. The TRC and SL-R is top of the list to replace the HD.

Howzit MartinAs others have mentioned the geometry of the TRc is very much a love it or hate it. Personally I have ridden everything from an Ibis to a Kona, dw-link, maestro and Magic Link suspension. The attached pick is my current weapon of choice and I fall into the category of Love it, including the VPP suspension. The slack geometry suits me as I enjoy pushing the limits on descents. The bike does have some cons which depending on what you like, but they are manageable. The slack head angle makes for a bit of wandering when you climb steep hills slowly. Solved that relatively acceptably with a narrow handlebar. Rewards you hansomly on the descents though. The lower BB allows corning that is seriously impressive and fast. Downside when you are doing some seriously rocky terraine like Puffadder at Karkloof you tend to smack the pedals a little more often than what you would like. So fast flowing single track is what this machine is designed for.Despite any shortcomings this bike rewards in areas that other bikes are just acceptable in. Most those who do not appreciate it prefer bikes at completely the opposite ends of the spectrum ie. Pure XC or More All Mountain/DH. This bike easily performs as well as my previous 6 inch travel bikes and handles XC applications better than my previous XC bikes. If it is possible to get a test ride before you buy then do it as you might just find that you are the guy who hates the geometry once you are on it and then you are 50K down. As Cool as this bike is. It definately is not for everyone, but if you rode greater travel bikes in the past it surprises you as to how well this shorter travel in between actually compares.Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the input Sean, I'm definitely going to see if I can ride one first. On the narrow bars, I ride with them anyway (645mm MonkeyLites) at the moment, so I think they setup may suit me.

Is that your steed in the picture?

No worries. wink.gif Just so you know we are very much on the same page when it comes to our next bike. The TRC and SL-R is top of the list to replace the HD.

:thumbup:

True... the front end wanders on steep climbs. Fox have a lovely solution: TALAS!

Absolutely. I currently ride a Revelation 110/140 on my Intense, it's amazing how shifting between the two travel settings can change the bike completely. My dream spec would include a Revelation XX.