New Crank Alignment: Complete Cyclist

BrianPivo

So, after I've been riding on the rollers for a couple of days, my kid asks me why my cranks aren't straight. I think he's joking so I ignore him. Well, he was right. See the pic. Bike had recently been rebuilt by the good folk at Complete Cyclist in Jhb. "And have you noticed that they graunched the BB bracket clamp?" my kid asks. No, I haven't, I can't see that far without my specs. But now I'm starting to believe him. OK, I know they replaced the swank Campag cable shrouds with Shiman because of a length problem but they said they'll fix them in the new year. So, I send an email to Mike Hewan at Complete with the pic of the cranks. No reply. When I take the bike in, Tim says "embarrassing the thing with the cranks, we'll sort it out". Then I get an email from Mike saying that the problem with the BB clamp is that someone else has worked on the bike cause the grease in the BB is the wrong colour for his shop and his BB clamp tool can't cause damage.

When I went to collect the bike today, Mike tells me that he straightened the cranks but the BB bearing clamp is my problem. I say "I'm pointing out that your techie has screwed up the job - cranks are good enough evidence of that and now you're telling me that I'm lying about you being the last guys to have worked on the bike". Mike: "Yes, that's what I'm saying".

So, Brian the liar has to leave the shop. Trust has to be the basis of a relationship between customer and shop, so can't have liars in the mix.

Enjoy the pic folks. You get a bit of a dead spot when you ride cranks like that. Maybe has some benefit for improving the pedal stroke?

Hope you find some humour in this. Complete Cyclist Jhb. Good for a laugh it seems.

post-12584-0-63685500-1328116400.jpeg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad thing is Tim tries really hard to help customers but is often over-ruled by the powers that be!

So, after I've been riding on the rollers for a couple of days, my kid asks me why my cranks aren't straight. I think he's joking so I ignore him. Well, he was right. See the pic. Bike had recently been rebuilt by the good folk at Complete Cyclist in Jhb. "And have you noticed that they graunched the BB bracket clamp?" my kid asks. No, I haven't, I can't see that far without my specs. But now I'm starting to believe him. OK, I know they replaced the swank Campag cable shrouds with Shiman because of a length problem but they said they'll fix them in the new year. So, I send an email to Mike Hewan at Complete with the pic of the cranks. No reply. When I take the bike in, Tim says "embarrassing the thing with the cranks, we'll sort it out". Then I get an email from Mike saying that the problem with the BB clamp is that someone else has worked on the bike cause the grease in the BB is the wrong colour for his shop and his BB clamp tool can't cause damage.

When I went to collect the bike today, Mike tells me that he straightened the cranks but the BB bearing clamp is my problem. I say "I'm pointing out that your techie has screwed up the job - cranks are good enough evidence of that and now you're telling me that I'm lying about you being the last guys to have worked on the bike". Mike: "Yes, that's what I'm saying".

So, Brian the liar has to leave the shop. Trust has to be the basis of a relationship between customer and shop, so can't have liars in the mix.

Enjoy the pic folks. You get a bit of a dead spot when you ride cranks like that. Maybe has some benefit for improving the pedal stroke?

Hope you find some humour in this. Complete Cyclist Jhb. Good for a laugh it seems.

How many days did you say you rode the rollers like that? :oops:

Pull the other one, it's the 1st Feb, not the1st of April.

I rode 7 mths with a skew crank, not always obvious. In my case I have a sprained ankle and always thought it was my ankle giving me grief until my wife commented when she rode my bike. Just replaced the crankset this weekend and cannot believe I never noticed it before.

Is it your responsibility to make sure that all the work carried out on your bike is done to your satisfaction before you leave the shop? You should have opened the BB to check the colour of the grease.

Sure bud.. I don't think this is the OP's fault. (if that is what you are saying)

Edited by Pain or Shine

Is it your responsibility to make sure that all the work carried out on your bike is done to your satisfaction before you leave the shop? You should have opened the BB to check the colour of the grease.

Sure bud.. I don't think this is the OP's fault. (if that is what you are saying)

Dont worry about the rissik chop. I think he was dropped on his head as a baby :blink:

He is perfect in every way.........

No, not what I was implying. Bad workmanship is bad workmanship. My guess is that if they assembled the cranks like that, they also graunched the BB. And I also don't buy the "it's not our colour grease" story. If they rebuilt the bike, why is there still someone else's grease on it?

I just smiled at the thought of riding on rollers with a cock-eyed crank. I don't know if I could even manage that.

And the laaitie that picked it up is sharp. I'm still smiling at Loop en Val trying to ignore his son.. :drool:

Edited by johannrissik

Dont worry about the rissik chop. I think he was dropped on his head as a baby :blink:

He is perfect in every way.........

I was asked not to feed the troll. So I won't. Sorry.

Sad to say it, but bad service is the norm here. Says a lot for the level of skills in that shop.

All the more reason to kit up & DIY.

• 2 weeks later...

On top end bikes , or even entry level bikes surley one expects good service or at least what they are paying for ?

shops should be more strict on quality control. If a customer finds a mistake do the right thing and take responsabilty for this and correct the error !

Wow, I don't know what is worse; a mechanic putting the crank on skew like that, or you not noticing it when you loaded the bike onto / into the car, or when you took it out, our when you put in on the trainer, or when you clipped in, or when you were riding (a few times no less) or when you put the bike away after training.

When they replaced your campag shrouds with Shitmano (even as a temp measure) should have been the first sign of impending doom. These guys should be banned from ever working on Campy again. Then they assemble the cranks out of line. Campy are probably the easiest cranks to install, well they should be taken out to the town square and burnt at the stake. What a bunch of amateurs.

My advice - never let your LBS ever ever touch campy, learn to do it yourself. They think they are CAMPY mechanics after years of practice on shitmano. :thumbdown:

Wow, I don't know what is worse; a mechanic putting the crank on skew like that, or you not noticing it when you loaded the bike onto / into the car, or when you took it out, our when you put in on the trainer, or when you clipped in, or when you were riding (a few times no less) or when you put the bike away after training.

I would go with the shop as being worse.

We all have our opinions , but bottom line is why would the shop argue and make such a fuss over a bolt that cost a few rand ? Im sure if they simply replaced the bolt and said sorry the customer would still be a customer !! But now they are getting bad reviews and loosing income ???? Not logical