Driving to the Argus Race - be careful .....

Konaman

All of you coming from Johannesburg or Bloemfontein - be careful around Beaufort West.

You will get a massive fine if your registration number is not visible, due to the bike stand - this is legal requirement anyway.

Also be careful of the speed you are doing around Beaufort West. They have numerous cameras before , after (+- 20km radius) and around the town, to suck you dry. I know one should stick to the speed, but they are going overboard there.

I will never stop in that town again to buy fuel or whatever, because of this

Edited by Konaman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should have your numberplate visible regardless of whether or not you get a fine when/if you get caught.

Also, condoning speeding is not cool either.

Obey the law and you have no issues, imo........ maybe it's just me

common knowledge that its a feeding frenzie for BW cops this time of the year, wont blame the town

I think you should have your numberplate visible regardless of whether or not you get a fine when/if you get caught.

Also, condoning speeding is not cool either.

Obey the law and you have no issues, imo........ maybe it's just me

I agree, but in alot of cases they are placing traps in areas to try to catch one out in order to generate revenue rather than in the name of safety.

Isn't there an infamous camera in the middle of town as well?

Was that the one that caught their mayor in his very expensive car soliciting with underage women?

Same goes for all the dorps along national roads now, its a national pandemic! Watch out for the 100 - 80 - 60 signs everywhere.

The biggest scource of revenue to these small towns is central government funds (our tax money). The second biggest income is from speed camera fines, and that is after paying the outscourced contractor and the collecting lawyer their half. It is simply another type of tax, and best avoided like the pits.

Beaufort West is no different in this regard, but I avoid ever stopping in it for different reasons. I hate the number of drunken, often very insistant beggers and snot nosed kids hanging around every filling station and shop. Let's not even talk about the prostitutes, some way to young. The place is seedy, grimy and depressing and it makes me feel bad.

I spend my money elsewhere.

The biggest scource of revenue to these small towns is central government funds (our tax money). The second biggest income is from speed camera fines, and that is after paying the outscourced contractor and the collecting lawyer their half. It is simply another type of tax, and best avoided like the pits.

Beaufort West is no different in this regard, but I avoid ever stopping in it for different reasons. I hate the number of drunken, often very insistant beggers and snot nosed kids hanging around every filling station and shop. Let's not even talk about the prostitutes, some way to young. The place is seedy, grimy and depressing and it makes me feel bad.

We camp and always sleep at the Karoo National Park....... you sometimes feel it is imposible that a place of such beauty can be so close to a dump as that town

Guys, be very carefull, and stick to the speed limit at all times. They have the cameras installed that measure your avg speed, and if you arrive too soon (even if you drive 20km/h then) you will be pulled over and fined. They caught some oke the other day that did a avg of 176 km/h.

We camp and always sleep at the Karoo National Park....... you sometimes feel it is imposible that a place of such beauty can be so close to a dump as that town

Agreed 100%

Was that the one that caught their mayor in his very expensive car soliciting with underage women?

OMW, of course, the Truman Prince saga!

Sad thing is many years ago this was a pleasant town to stop in or even overnight in. Another example of how the local government system has failed everyone except for a few lining their pockets.

I agree, but in alot of cases they are placing traps in areas to try to catch one out

How exactly do they "catch you out" if you're obeying the law?

Isn't there an infamous camera in the middle of town as well?

Yeah, I was just gonna say, the whore house I know, the camera I'm not sure of...

Actually all the little towns along the route use vacations and events to top up the coffers. But Beaufort West is the worst, there is a camera coming out of town where its still 60 kmph but maybe 500m from the 80 kmph sign and be sure there will be a cop with a bush stuck in his hat hiding in the scrub between the 80 kmph and the 120kmph sign - it is nothing but revenue collection at its most blatant distasteful best. Another favorite is coming into town where they hide on the middle island under the Welcome to Beaufort West sign, its seldom you are down from 120 to 60 there and most traffic is rolling along at 70/80 - they make a frigging killing.

I hate the dump, its dirty and depressing, there's only two gas stations worth stopping at and both are overcrowded and the service is begrudging, I never stop there, I will not spend a cent there, and on the downward trip I stop before B.W or afterwards at Leeu Gamka where the gas station owner keeps the place clean, service is good and although there is no restaurant the shop is fine, and you can get everything you need.