Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

http://www.health24....1-512,73175.asp

I was also at a function last night where he spoke on the matter. Basically he's turned full circle and now says we should be eating more protein and fat, and far less carbs. There were times during his talk when I thought he'd lost the plot (refering to 19th/20th century science which is the basis for our obsession with carbohydrates), but most of the time I couldn't fault his logic (especially when he refered to how we as humans have evolved and how we as a species have dominated because of access to protein and fat, and that carbohydrate is a very recent part of our food chain).

Edited by flymango

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard an interview with him on the radio discussing this. He's taking a lot of flak from dietitians and nutritionists but backed his view up with other established scientists views and findings.

I read about this.

A good load of carbs are still crucial to endurance performance though.

No Doubt.

He speaks sense to me.. i tend to agree.

i my view, as we evoled close to the equator, we had access to animals (protein / fat) and to a lesser degree, fruit (carbs).

Then as we moved to the colder climates, the fruits werent so available, but man still threw spears at Deer etc. so our diet was prodominantly protein and fat..... Then we got clever and cultivated crops.... this was the point where our diet became flooded with carbs.. ie wheat, maize etc.

Make sense??

i was waiting for this to break on thehub. I'ma grab my fatcoated popcorn and supersized protein slushy in readiness..

I'm wondering if the body doesnt go thru phases, and the diet should vary accordingly. So maybe at this stage of his life, what he is currently advocating makes the most sense relative to his current physiology. The trick is discerning which eating regime is best suited to an individual. 'Diets', esp the fad ones, succeed financially because they promise a "one size fits all' approach, but the reality later settles when it works for some, and not for others. Everyone's different, evens identical twins.

I read about this.

You may want to read the OP's link again:

"What I now understand is that carbohydrates are relatively ineffective fuels for those with CR so that there is no risk that the exercise performance of those with CR will be impaired if they cut their carbohydrate intake"

Noakes is saying that people with CR are adversely affected by carbs, not everybody. So this isn't universally true for everybody.

But for those who are affected (and it seems to affect more people in later life) it has a significant impact. By sharply reducing (not eliminating) carb intake I've dropped 5kgs in the last month. I still get cravings for breads, but it gets better. And I'm climbing hills better too (only get dropped halfway up now :blush: )

snip snip snip

By sharply reducing (not eliminating) carb intake I've dropped 5kgs in the last month. I still get cravings for breads, but it gets better. And I'm climbing hills better too (only get dropped halfway up now :blush: )

I can concur with this 12 down since end Jan ;) - Ok so now I only get dropped a quarter of the way up though :(

I guess Tim Noakes knew all about this from way back when. But the thing is that you get taught that eating fat is a bad thing. Just glad that he eventually tried it himself to find the truth. But you have to know what you are doing. If you do not understand the mechanism it is difficult to get it right.

I read about this.

What he is saying is that you can get carbs from other sources besides the traditional ones we know

http://www.health24....1-512,73175.asp

I was also at a function last night where he spoke on the matter. Basically he's turned full circle and now says we should be eating more protein and fat, and far less carbs. There were times during his talk when I thought he'd lost the plot (refering to 19th/20th century science which is the basis for our obsession with carbohydrates), but most of the time I couldn't fault his logic (especially when he refered to how we as humans have evolved and how we as a species have dominated because of access to protein and fat, and that carbohydrate is a very recent part of our food chain).

I doubt that Tim Noakes is losing much sleep over this thread.